4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Stereo, Clock and 12V cigarette lighter shut off randomly

Old 12-31-2010, 10:29 PM

Stereo, Clock and 12V cigarette lighter shut off randomly

My stereo sometimes shuts off completely by itself. When this happens the clock goes out and the 12v Cigarette lighter also stops working. Sometimes these shut off for a few seconds and then come back on but sometimes it takes 15 mins for these things to come back on.

The clock memory and radio presets all stay the same and no memory is erased.

I've read on here that some people have their wipers stop working as well but I have not played with them during this time.

From what I uncovered, some wrote it can be the fuse which I'm questioning since from my knowledge a fuse either works or doesn't...correct me if I'm wrong. Others wrote it's the ignition switch.

When this happens, I hear a relay/clicking type sound coming from the left of the speedometer area.

Where should I start?
Old 01-01-2011, 08:52 AM

I had this problem on a hyundai sonata because I put in the wrong brake bulb(s). But with you it is probably something else. When messing with wiring clean the grounds. Start searching threads and you should get closer to fixing it. Good luck
Old 01-01-2011, 01:41 PM

The clock and radio are on the same fuse, F21 -10 amp. The cigarette lighter is on F6. The radio memory and clock memory use different fuses. If you have a non-Bose car, both memories are on fuse F40. Bose cars use F62 for the Bose memory and F40 for the clock memory.

Since all 3 devices are not on the same fuse, I think you have a connector problem. Maybe there is a connector that is not plugged in all the way. I doubt if it is a grounding problem because then you would be losing the radio station pre-sets and the time also.
Old 01-01-2011, 01:48 PM

How about the accessory relay or ignition switch? I hear a clicking sound to the left of the speedometer when the radio and everything else decides to turn back on..

The car is Bose equipped. This started happening after the alternator was replaced but I think it's a coincidence.
Old 01-01-2011, 01:56 PM

^ on the ignition switch. It was issue with mine. Mine was loose but when I tightened it up, problem gone. Those are the four main acc that go: Clock, cig lighter, radio, and wiper. If you notice it do it again, just wiggle the key around and itll come back on. Highly doubt its the fuse because as youve stated, it comes back on in 15 mins or so.
Old 01-01-2011, 08:55 PM

Ignition Switch. Mines doing it.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:54 AM

Do you also hear a clicking relay when the radio turns back on/off?
Old 01-03-2011, 10:12 AM

+1 on the ignition switch, next time it happens try playing with the switch. The ignition switch provides power to turn on the assy relay.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:21 PM
Administrator

I was just going to post a thread on this very same topic Spartuss. My 98 Max is doing the exact same thing right now.

If the ignition switch is malfunctioning, wouldn't something directly related to the ignition also fail? I'm having a hard time understanding how an ignition switch could be responsible for the OP's (and mine) symptoms.

Next time it happens, I guess I'll jiggle the key and see if the stereo comes back on per your guy's recommendations.

Thanks fellas.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Spartuss
Do you also hear a clicking relay when the radio turns back on/off?
Yes you do. A click right before everything cuts back on.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:08 PM

The ignition switch can cause the accessory relay to turn off. Along with the items mentioned the wipers would not work also. It's possible the accessory relay is failing but much more likely it's the ignition switch causing the accesory relay to turn off.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:51 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

how do i tighten it up?
Old 01-31-2011, 01:23 PM

There is a contact in the switch that just runs the accessories. You really can't tighten it up, but it is easy to replace. New from the dealer the switch (Part #48750-1E411) was $48.34. Takes about 20 minutes to pull the shroud from around the steering column and replace it. It attaches to the end of the lock cylinder, so there is no re-keying to worry about.
Old 01-31-2011, 05:48 PM
Administrator

Good info bobflood. Thanks.
Old 02-10-2015, 11:27 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have a 1998 Maxima GXE Sedan 4-Door

The alternator recently died. I ran it for a few day charging the battery at home and at work.

I installed the new alternator by dropping the ac compressor down.

About 5 days later (today) I am driving and the radio and wipers go out and come back twice. Each time I heard a click from the left side of the dash.

So the question is, is this a relay (accessory relay) issue or a ignition switch issue.

I wonder if this directly relates to the dying of the alternator.

thanks
Old 02-11-2015, 09:27 AM

I doubt that the alternator caused the problem. It is probably a case of unfortunate timing.

It could be either part. The ignition switch is a problem item in the these cars - guaranteed to go bad in some way, shape, or form. The relay is much less likely to fail, but it could. The way the car is designed is that the ignition switch energizes the relay.

You could try wiggling the switch as The Wizard said in post # 9, but it may or may not help as bobflood said in post # 13.

Something you could try is to swap the accessory relay with another relay. The relay is located on the left side of the fuse panel, which is to the left of the steering column. You have to remove the lower dash cover to see it. You will see 3 blue colored relays plugged in to the left of the fuses, The top one is the accessory relay and the bottom one is the blower motor relay. Swap these 2 and see what happens.

Do not swap with the middle relay. This is the ignition relay and if you put a bad relay in there, the car won't run.
Old 06-04-2016, 09:27 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Possible intermitten short

As an aviation electrician, this kind of symptoms often indicate that you have an intermitten short somewhere to cause the relay to act funny. It could also be your wiring, whether any part of it is exposed to water/rain while driving. Use a multi meter to check the resistance of wiring to thr harness and locate the segment and seal it with tape to get the problem fixed.
Originally Posted by Spartuss
My stereo sometimes shuts off completely by itself. When this happens the clock goes out and the 12v Cigarette lighter also stops working. Sometimes these shut off for a few seconds and then come back on but sometimes it takes 15 mins for these things to come back on.

The clock memory and radio presets all stay the same and no memory is erased.

I've read on here that some people have their wipers stop working as well but I have not played with them during this time.

From what I uncovered, some wrote it can be the fuse which I'm questioning since from my knowledge a fuse either works or doesn't...correct me if I'm wrong. Others wrote it's the ignition switch.

When this happens, I hear a relay/clicking type sound coming from the left of the speedometer area.

Where should I start?
Old 06-04-2016, 09:48 AM

This thread is 5 years old....noice