7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

need help: tire maintenance light on dash

Old 12-23-2009, 03:21 PM

need help: tire maintenance light on dash

Just like the title says, I have a tire maintenance light on my dash display, looks like an actual tire on a rim, I was not able to find anything in the owners manual.

So if anyone could point me in the right direction that would be great, Im sure it has something do with needing a tire rotation, cause I am at 7700 miles, and I would like to shut it off, every time I start the car it shows up.
Old 12-23-2009, 03:46 PM

I believe you are talking about the tire pressure warning light. I have seen it a few times the last couple f days also as it has been hovering about 5 degrees around here. I think it is because it is so cold, the tire pressure goes down, I have noticed as it warms up into the 10-20s the warning goes away.
Old 12-23-2009, 04:27 PM

Yes, I think he is talking about the tire pressure monitoring system.

Go check your tire pressure on all 4 tires. Make sure they are at same psi as you wish. I run 35psi on all four tires. You might like a different psi based on Nissan's recommendations or your driving habits.

When you get all tires to same psi, just drive and after like 10 minutes, the light should go off.
Old 12-23-2009, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by PetitFrereMaxima
Yes, I think he is talking about the tire pressure monitoring system.

Go check your tire pressure on all 4 tires. Make sure they are at same psi as you wish. I run 35psi on all four tires. You might like a different psi based on Nissan's recommendations or your driving habits.

When you get all tires to same psi, just drive and after like 10 minutes, the light should go off.

Exactly. He is definitely seeing the TPMS psi warning light, and 35 psi is an excellent tire pressure for this 7th gen (even though the manual says 33). And pumping the tires to 35 (or 33) and driving awhile does the trick. But then you just said that.
Old 12-23-2009, 05:11 PM

Well then I guess I should say I have 2 lights then, the TPMS light which is the tire with the exclamation mark in it, that light usually goes off when I drive for 10-20 minutes, but having the car in Georgia, I noticed the TPMS light goes on when it drops to 39 degrees or colder.

The second light is the tire maintenance light that takes the entire box up in the center dash display, the one that shows gas mileage, outside temp, maintenance settings, which I have yet to play with, range, etc...
Old 12-23-2009, 05:26 PM
You gon' pay what you owe

Originally Posted by STARR
Well then I guess I should say I have 2 lights then, the TPMS light which is the tire with the exclamation mark in it, that light usually goes off when I drive for 10-20 minutes, but having the car in Georgia, I noticed the TPMS light goes on when it drops to 39 degrees or colder.

The second light is the tire maintenance light that takes the entire box up in the center dash display, the one that shows gas mileage, outside temp, maintenance settings, which I have yet to play with, range, etc...
To take care of that, you need to use the two buttons on the left side of the instrument cluster housing. The button with the squares on it is the scroll button and the one with a dot is the select button. There is a section in the manual about this. The warning you are getting is for tire rotation.
Old 12-23-2009, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by boone
To take care of that, you need to use the two buttons on the left side of the instrument cluster housing. The button with the squares on it is the scroll button and the one with a dot is the select button. There is a section in the manual about this. The warning you are getting is for tire rotation.
That's what it is, thank you
Old 12-23-2009, 08:43 PM

I set my tire rotation interval, but I didn't realize it would give a warning. I love this car.
Old 12-24-2009, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by boone

Boone - Good catch. Since I rotate at 15K, I didn't bother to set that rotation alert, and had forgotten we even had it.

STARR - As to the other alert (low psi), I always have to add air when the season turns cold. A tire that reads 33 psi in hot weather can read as low as around 27 psi when the weather gets really cold. Also, if we add air after driving the car for awhile, the tires are warm, and even though we fll the tires to 33 psi, the reading might be below 30 psi when we get into the car next morning and the tires are cold.

I am glad I carry 36 psi, because that gives me lots of leeway before approaching the trigger point of the TPMS low psi warning (that trigger is around 27 to 29 psi on most 7th gens).
Old 12-24-2009, 03:10 PM

Thanks for the tip lightonthehill, soon as I return to GA I will check and adjust my tires per your recommendations, I don't know how I overlooked something so small.
Old 03-14-2010, 03:53 PM

does anyone know how to disable TPMS and the light that indicates low pressure? I am on my second pair of rims and did not even bother putting sensors in this time. I would just rather disable system.. Is there a fuse or a way to get in the instrument panel and pull the bulb for the air sensors?
Old 03-14-2010, 05:32 PM
You gon' pay what you owe

I have never heard of a way to disable it. I would encourage you to go through the steps you need to in order to keep the system functioning in light of the fact that you have changed out your wheels. It is an extra cost but the TPMS is for your safety. It will also help you from running too little air in you tires and ruining them. Just my 2 cents.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:44 AM

I do know that pulling or otherwise rendering the TPMS warning lamp is illegal, which would rule out any sort of body control module reflashing (if such is even possible). A separate concern is that doing so might cause you to fail the safety portion of any periodic motor vehicle inspection procedure.

That said, and last I knew, intentionally leaving it lit is not illegal (one specific function of the lamp being to nag you into returning the system to full operational status). Elsewhere, I've read where people mention using a strip of opaque tape (a rather tacky "solution").

Something else to keep in mind - TPMS can throw a false warning at you if you should happen to drive through a puddle that's deep enough to just barely cover the barrel of the wheel (~6" deep?). Water temperature may have something to do with it (cold water probably being more likely to do so), as well as if you're running slightly below the sticker recommended pressure (but still above the TPMS setpoint). I've had this happen in the Mustang.

Norm
Old 03-18-2010, 06:47 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Off the thread a bit, but does anyone know if there is a reset tool (scanner) to reset the TPMS light after replacing your snow tires and rims. Replaced with summer tires and new rims. All rims have teir own TPS valves. Instead of heading to dealer every time I replace my tires.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by runner12
Off the thread a bit, but does anyone know if there is a reset tool (scanner) to reset the TPMS light after replacing your snow tires and rims. Replaced with summer tires and new rims. All rims have teir own TPS valves. Instead of heading to dealer every time I replace my tires.
try this
http://tpmsoutlet.com/at-tpmquickset.aspx
I saw references to this tool on other forums.
good luck
Max
Old 03-18-2010, 01:25 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks Maxud, looks really interesting. Going to do some home work on it, and I'll let you guys know how it goes. This site is great so much info, great job.
Old 08-02-2010, 03:37 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have a 2007 Maxima and we've been having tons of problems since replacing the tires recently. The stealership said it was a bad sensor and replaced it (one tire is the culprit) telling us we should have bought our tires through them, blah, blah, blah, and now the tire light just went on again.

Anyone have suggestions as to what the problem may be? Never had issues until this last round of tires.
Old 08-02-2010, 04:52 AM

The first thing for you to do would be to check the tire pressures yourself. That at least lets you know whether the warning is "bogus" as far as the tire pressures themselves are concerned.

I think there is some difference in the way the lamp illuminates that lets you know if the problem actually is low tire inflation or whether it's a TPMS system problem (bad/no signal, bad module, etc.).

After the first time I'd be hard pressed to not work up a cleaner-looking version of the "black tape fix".

Seriously, when this system starts being more PITA than benefit, it's time to drop back to maintaining tire pressure the "old-fashioned" way and start paying a little more attention to the way the tires ride and handle, the noise that they may or may not make when properly inflated, and how far around the outer shoulders the "scuffing wear" extends.

Norm
Old 08-02-2010, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by MaximaGil
I have a 2007 Maxima and we've been having tons of problems since replacing the tires recently. The stealership said it was a bad sensor and replaced it (one tire is the culprit) telling us we should have bought our tires through them, blah, blah, blah, and now the tire light just went on again.

Anyone have suggestions as to what the problem may be? Never had issues until this last round of tires.
Adding to Norm's comments, measure your psi with more than one gauge, just in case yours may be reading high. These sensors can come on any time after the psi drops below 30. Always measure your tire pressure when the tires are cold, as all tires will read a misleadingly high psi when warm or hot from driving.

I personally carry either 35 or 36 pounds (measured when tires are cold) in each tire, using whichever pressure seems to be giving me the most even wear across the face of the tire. With my style of driving, the recommended 33 psi results in the shoulders of my tires wearing out before the center portion of the tread.

The 35 or 36 psi also gives me a slightly more rigid sidewall, and the car seems to respond more quickly and decisively to turning the steering wheel.
Old 10-28-2011, 05:31 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

2004 Maxima with NAV Tire rotation lite?

I just bought a 2004 Maxima SL with NAV and the tire rotation light is on. I took the car to have the tires rotated adn they still have lots of life left on them but the light is still on. With NAV I don't have a setting that I can find that allows me to set the intervals or reset the tire rotation or oil change on the car. Any body know how to do this?