5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

P0140 and part number questions....

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2005, 04:17 PM
I Know Kwaliti

Some dealers will, some won't. You will just need to find one that wants to or get it done on a side... I have a Y too...
Old 11-05-2005, 05:39 PM

^!%@%# 02 sensors!
Old 01-02-2006, 01:07 PM

OK, I read this entire thread and only have a small question. P0138 is the code. How do I know which sensor to replace (bank 2 doesn't mean anything to me)? Thanks, Mike
Old 01-02-2006, 01:11 PM
I Know Kwaliti

Cali or fed spec? On fed spec it is the one in the front closest to the radiator...
Old 01-02-2006, 01:46 PM

I don't know, I will need to check and see (thinking Cali). But thank you for the reply...I am assuming if it is Cali, it is the other one? Is there only 2?
Old 01-02-2006, 03:20 PM
I Know Kwaliti

Sorry, gave you wrong info, it is the one behind the engine close to the firewall... Here is the TSB for it: http://www.nissanhelp.com/Ownership/.../NTB02-051.htm
Old 01-03-2006, 08:35 PM

Thanks, yeah read the same in another post later that night. Thanks for the help!
Old 01-10-2006, 06:30 AM

for your information, since I changed my O2 sensor and got my ECU reprogrammed, my P0140 didnt come back.

110$ for O2sensor (changed myself) + 60$ for reprogram.
that was a couple months ago..

now its P0135 that come on last week... grrr, stupidO2s!
Old 01-10-2006, 07:18 AM
I Know Kwaliti

Hehe, fun, eh

I had one O2 go and within 3 months the other one went too...
Old 02-02-2006, 02:44 PM

alright, read the whole thread (whew my eyes are killing me) just a few q's
my codes are P0139 P1147 P0021 I know the 1st 2 are for the O2 sensor "Bank 1 Sensor 2" Dave B said its $109.94 + $7 shipping to NY thats fine. Now the few Q's are, Real Quick What does ECU stand for, what does flshing the ECU and reprograming it really do, And Whne i ask to see the pre and post ECM I.D. codes, what change am i looking for? What does The ECM stand for as well?

Thanks for your help guys!
Jim
Old 02-02-2006, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by bugbite77
alright, read the whole thread (whew my eyes are killing me) just a few q's
my codes are P0139 P1147 P0021 I know the 1st 2 are for the O2 sensor "Bank 1 Sensor 2" Dave B said its $109.94 + $7 shipping to NY thats fine. Now the few Q's are, Real Quick What does ECU stand for, what does flshing the ECU and reprograming it really do, And Whne i ask to see the pre and post ECM I.D. codes, what change am i looking for? What does The ECM stand for as well?

Thanks for your help guys!
Jim
I'll see if I can help you out a little bit.

ECU = ECM = Electronic Control Unit / Module. They are the same thing.

From what I have read about the re-programming as far as the O2 sensors go, it will changes the "parameters" within which the sensors operate. Some have said that the old program is the cause of the failing sensors and some say the newer program simply loosens the parameters the sensors operate so that they don't trigger the CEL so easily.

The ECU ID code will tell you what "program" currently exists in your ECU. It is always a good idea to have the most updated program and if you know your ECM ID, then it's easy to find out if you have the most recent updates.

I recently had the exact same P0139 and P1147 code that you have. Some believe that the O2 sensors AND reprogramming should BOTH be covered under the emissions warranty, but the reprogramming for sure should be covered under the emissions warranty. Many dealers have refused this though.

If you are out of warranty, I recommend that you try to get them to do the reprogram first before you change out the O2 sensor and see if that solves your problem. If not, then buy the O2 sensor and replace it after. If you're still under warranty, get the dealer to do everything as per the TSB on this issue.
Old 02-03-2006, 09:53 PM

thank you VERY much, you answered all my questions and i do feel better about this situation, im at 61K and i have the 7 yr 100K warantee, what do you mean when you say "If you're still under warranty, get the dealer to do everything as per the TSB on this issue."
Thanks again!
Jim
Old 02-04-2006, 09:38 AM
I Know Kwaliti

Means try to get the dealer to cover everything with regards to replacement and ECM update... You will likely need to pay for the sensor itself as they are only covered for 3 yrs and 40K, and ECM update would fall under emissions warranty of 8 yrs and 80K but try to get it all done for free as per TSB...
Old 02-04-2006, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by bugbite77
thank you VERY much, you answered all my questions and i do feel better about this situation, im at 61K and i have the 7 yr 100K warantee, what do you mean when you say "If you're still under warranty, get the dealer to do everything as per the TSB on this issue."
Thanks again!
Jim
If you're still under bumper-to-bumper warranty get the dealer to fix the problem as per technical service bulletin (TSB) linked in this thread. If you're not bumper-to-bumper, you can see if they will fix it as per the emissions warranty. If not, then do it like I mentioned above.

Look through the ORG and find the section that talks about the CEL codes and also the TSBs. This will help you out too.

There's lots of information on this site for this problem if you can find it.
Old 03-07-2006, 12:10 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'm looking for 2000 o2 sensors, OEM, non-cal. Does anybody know the numbers?

Thanks,
Ron

ronwhite1@hotmail.com
Old 06-07-2006, 02:58 PM

Okay, so my check engine light came on today on my way home from work and I stopped by autozone to have them pull the code(s). Turns out, it pulled 2 P1147 codes. Now, Ive read throught this post and still have a couple of questions....

This is the first code I have thrown. So forgive my ignorance here. If it pulled 2 P1147's, what does that mean? Is there two different sensors that need to be replaced or is it just the same code repeated. Also, is it safe to drive? - As in back and forth around town and work without damaging anything?

I guess Ill call DaveB in the morning to get the part(s). I hope someone can tell me if its just one or two by then. I know its a sensor, but I still dont know what the heck it is or what is wrong. Its all Latin to me here...

Oh, the car has 68,000 miles on it, if that matters

Whats this talk of warranty to 80,000 miles for emissions? Does this fall under that?

Thanks for the help in advance!
Old 06-08-2006, 07:06 AM
I Know Kwaliti

I am not sure how you could have pulled 2 same codes, but sounds like your O2 is a goner anyhow and you'll need only the one... Having SES on is not a good thing, but it shouldn't be damaging to your engine in short term... Your fuel consumption may be messed up a bit as a result and I would fix it sooner than later... As for warranty, O2 sensors are only covered for 3yrs/40K, 80K emissions covers ECM programming and cats...
Old 06-08-2006, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by igzy
I am not sure how you could have pulled 2 same codes, but sounds like your O2 is a goner anyhow and you'll need only the one... Having SES on is not a good thing, but it shouldn't be damaging to your engine in short term... Your fuel consumption may be messed up a bit as a result and I would fix it sooner than later... As for warranty, O2 sensors are only covered for 3yrs/40K, 80K emissions covers ECM programming and cats...

I spoke with Dave about the problem. He researched it for a couple of hours, and determined with his guys that it IS covered under warranty. The whole thing! All sensors, reprogram and labor. Now my dealer has a difference of opinion and isnt sure and doesnt want to say either way if it is or isnt. They told me they would charge me $80 if its not under warranty. Now, I also called Nissan and talked to some in India, i think, and he wasnt sure either. He said it was at first, then said only the reprogram was, then he said none of it was and finally just told me to call my local dealer.

Either way, Im fighting Nissan for this one. I already know that people have gotten this covered, and I sure as hell will have mine convered if it is supposed to be. Any one else been through the warranty aspect of this?
Old 06-08-2006, 11:58 AM
I Know Kwaliti

Sorry, I didn't mention, I tried to have an O2 covered under emissions warranty but dealer didn't want to cover it saying that O2s are only covered for 3yr/40K... But, I have also heard from other orgers that they were successful in getting them replaced under emissions warranty after 3yr/40K... So I guess it is dealer dependent and how lucky you are
Old 07-31-2006, 06:47 PM

Exactly one year ago, I got P0420 and got the ECM reprogrammed.
This week I got P0138 and P0139. Now the question I have is can I just replace the oxygen sensors and be done with it? or do I have to have the ECM reprogrammed again?
Old 08-01-2006, 02:05 PM

Three weeks ago I pulled the P0138 and P0140. Read this link

http://maxima.theowensfamily.com/tsb/NTB02-051a.pdf

Figured out that I had the Cali spec car by the catallitc setup.

Ordered the parts from Dave B at South Point nissan.

Went to put it on, and its only a 10 min job, but I could not get the friggen originals off... DOH

Paid 90 bucks to get them both put on, not including the cost of the sensors. Dealer wanted to reflash the ECU at a small fee. I told him that I just had it done last year when the MAF was put on and that the new configuration came with that. He was annoyed that I new this and he charged me the reprogram anyway......I guess that he figured I would not notice that my bill was $200 and not the $93 we agreed on.

Unfortunately, Thompson Nissan in Doylestown PA sold the nissan dealership to Fred Beans. Kind of like the Queen of England giving Oxford University to Kevin Federline and not expecting it to loose any class.

They should certainly be able to find out before the ECU reprogram whether you have the updated flash. Some will try to get you to pay for it anyway. If you have had a ECU reprogram in the last two years, you should not need it. Just unplug the battery for a few hours.
Old 09-28-2006, 10:55 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I bought a 2001 20th Anniversary Edition in April. I got the SES light in July for a p0158. It went out after a few weeks. It came back on in early September, again for the p0158, high voltage to the 02 sensor. After checking here, I took it to the dealer for a reprogram. I am up to 79,200 miles and barely under the 8/80 ecu warranty. The dealer threatened to charge me $89.95 for the diagnostic but I had to get it scanned for warranty so I agreed. The code was verified and the service lady, not the tech, told me that they had to replace both 02 sensors for a cost of $482.

I replied that I wanted the reprogram only and that if the sensors were truly bad, I would replace them myself. She said a reprogram would not work because Nissan now has "new 02 sensors" and the light would not go out. I called BS and said I would take my chances with old 02 sensors, it helped that only one sensor was showing a problem. I made her call Nissan warranty and they agreed to cover the reprogram under warranty. They reprogrammed and the light is out now because of the re-set. Time will tell if it will come back on, but thanks to you guys, I knew what to say and got the ecu update under warranty. Make sure you stick to your guns, knowledge is power.

Thanks everybody-
Old 09-28-2006, 11:08 AM

Have had my max back for several weeks now (after the O2 replacement) and the SES is back in full force with a 0430 code (P0430 - Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 2). changing plugs and resetting to see what is up. Any one have any suggestions?
Old 11-07-2006, 06:09 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Well I'm pretty pissed off. I've read all four pages so far and need some clarification as it pertains to my particular situation.

I just bought my 02 3 weeks ago w/48,000 miles. Tonight the SES light comes on. Head to autozone and get the code: P0138. I come back to the Org, read this thread as well as a few others and am steaming. Here are my q's:

1. After owning the car less than a month and not having made one payment, how much am I looking at to get this fixed?
I've read some post say labor, others say the cost of the sensor...WTF!
This especially pisses me off given how briefly I've owned this car. I purchased the extended warranty (up to 100K miles). Call me crazy but I'm inclined to think I shouldn't have to pay for ****. GAWD This is annoying and potentially insane.

2. If I do get bent over by the dealer, how difficult is it to install the new sensors myself?

3. Does this error explain the bog I felt during acceleration the other day?

4. Finally, I still don't understand what resetting/updating the ECU does!!!
Old 11-15-2006, 06:17 PM

which one is correct?

i found some oxygen sensors on oxygensensors.com

I have a few questions:
1. which one of the two in the pics below would be the correct one if I had a p0140,p0139, and p0138 code? I think these codes are for the white wire right?

or

2. is this a good deal?
3. where did other people get theirs?

Thanks!
Old 11-16-2006, 08:12 AM

I just called Dave B and gave him the codes. The sensors may have been a few dollars more, but they came with clips to tiep up the cable where the existing sensor wires are tied up. This is obvously not that big a deal, but that coupled with the ease of knowing that i got the correct part was worth the $18 bucks.
Old 11-16-2006, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by geenowalker
I just called Dave B and gave him the codes. The sensors may have been a few dollars more, but they came with clips to tiep up the cable where the existing sensor wires are tied up. This is obvously not that big a deal, but that coupled with the ease of knowing that i got the correct part was worth the $18 bucks.
IMO, the clips ARE somewhat of a big deal. The clips are a PITA to take off and when I changed mine I ended up breaking most of them. If I had not purchased the OEM sensor with the clips already attached, this would have added significantly more time and trouble to my installation.
Old 12-31-2006, 04:19 PM

The SES light came on in my 01 Max and the car shuddered a little. If I recall these are two symptoms of a TSB I read awhile ago. I plan on going to Auto Zone to have them pull the codes to get a better idea of what's going on.

I've got about 96k on my car. Last week I replaced the spark plugs. I hope I didn't do anything to the car. I don't see how I could have. The car ran just fine for over a week after they were replaced.

But to be on the safe side, is there anyone out there that could think of anything that I could have done by just replacing the plugs?
Old 01-18-2007, 09:04 PM

Sorry for bringing up such an old/huge thread....

I have an 01 and I'm getting P0138 & P0139 ONLY. What's the chance an ECU re-program can fix the problem without replacing sensors? Has anybody successfully NOT changed the sensors and had the SES light stay off?
Old 01-19-2007, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by cflemm
Sorry for bringing up such an old/huge thread....

I have an 01 and I'm getting P0138 & P0139 ONLY. What's the chance an ECU re-program can fix the problem without replacing sensors? Has anybody successfully NOT changed the sensors and had the SES light stay off?
I would say the chances are slim to none. But it doesn't hurt to try. My reprogram was done before I changed the sensors and it didn't work for me.
Old 02-23-2007, 05:39 PM

I bought my 02 Monday night (2/19/07) with 79554 miles. Today (02/23/07) at 80293 miles the SES came on with P0138. The nice, read hot, girl at Autozone said the code had been stored twice. She said that this meant that it had been stored previously and the light had been turned off. Considering the car dealer said the car had just been put through service, am I to believe that they knew of the SES and just turned it off without solving the issue, or is the hot chick slightly confused?

Also why not just install an O2 simulator that with provide the correct output? If youre going catless this isnt even a question so surely it would be a cheaper alternative to reflashing and buying new O2 sensors. Which, by the way, I dont believe you need new O2 sensors if its just an ECU calibration change.
Old 02-23-2007, 06:36 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by UKmaxima
I bought my 02 Monday night (2/19/07) with 79554 miles. Today (02/23/07) at 80293 miles the SES came on with P0138.

Also why not just install an O2 simulator that with provide the correct output? If youre going catless this isnt even a question so surely it would be a cheaper alternative to reflashing and buying new O2 sensors. Which, by the way, I dont believe you need new O2 sensors if its just an ECU calibration change.
Did you get any kind of limited warranty on the car, like at least 30 days? If so, get the damn thing fixed.

If you bought the car as-is, then you're right. The rear o2s are there to monitor cat function and don't affect engine operation. Just make sure you have no emission test issues.
Old 02-24-2007, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by kenshi
Did you get any kind of limited warranty on the car, like at least 30 days? If so, get the damn thing fixed.

If you bought the car as-is, then you're right. The rear o2s are there to monitor cat function and don't affect engine operation. Just make sure you have no emission test issues.

Bought the car with a 50% warranty for 30 days or 1000 miles. Basically I'll have to pay for 50% of any costs. I can build an O2 simulator with parts I have in the lab, for free. I dont wanna have to pay 50% of something that I might not have to get done. I plan on going catless in the next couple of months anyway.
Is there a link to the FSM handy?
Old 02-24-2007, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by UKmaxima
Is there a link to the FSM handy?
There's a guy on the Altima site that posted a link to 2002 FSM in the Maxima forum. That's the only one I know of.
Old 02-24-2007, 09:01 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I had this P0140 code. After I read up on it and was ready to start making fixes - the SES light went out. It has not returned. Gas milage is the same, and it's been about 4 months.

I'm sure it will rear it's head... but at this point. I feel "safe."

Erich
Old 02-24-2007, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by littlegreenman1
I had this P0140 code. After I read up on it and was ready to start making fixes - the SES light went out. It has not returned. Gas milage is the same, and it's been about 4 months.
As far as I know the rear sensors are there just to monitor catalyst efficiency. A rear sensor problem is not going to affect engine performance like a bad front sensor would.

Even a failed front sensor that's been detected by the ECM just means there won't be any air/fuel mixture adjustments based on exhaust data. It will stick to a preset value.

However if you need to pass an emissions test that is an ECM data dump like mine was, you better have either working sensors or maybe a simulator. My engine compartment was checked during the test as well.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:39 AM
I Know Kwaliti

Rear O2s only monitor the mix, whereas the fronts are active in setting the A/F ratios... P0140 is for the rear sensor...
Old 04-26-2007, 04:56 AM

Before O2 sim had P0420, Bank 1 sensor 2, PreCat low efficency after install worked great for 4 days, about 300 miles then got a P0138 Bank 1 sensor 2 High voltage. Any thoughts?
Old 04-26-2007, 08:03 PM
Turbo'd Saab

you know whats interesting is i use to get that code and it turned out not to be my o2 sensor, it was my MAF sensor wierd huh
Old 04-27-2007, 07:27 PM
I Know Kwaliti

Here is my how-to troubleshoot P0140:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/732189/6

Quick Reply: P0140 and part number questions....