General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Driveablity.....Stalling in Reverse?

Old 05-20-2004, 11:53 AM

Driveablity.....Stalling in Reverse?

Hey guys and gals,

97 SE Automatic

Car stalls in reverse, yet once in Drive shows no sign of sputtering or stalling.
Just wondering if anyone has had the same driveablity problem and is willing to share a fix of possible fix.

Thanks in Advance
Old 05-21-2004, 03:41 PM

Does it actually stall (like you would have to restart the car) or does it feel like it's in neutral (the engine just revs)?

I had the neutral thing happen to me. When I would drive the car, it would drive fine, but when I would put the car in reverse, the car would just rev like it was in neutral. My tranny needed to be rebuilt.

This happened when I was going to a meet in Wisconsin. The heat from driving 70-110 MPH caused my dying tranny to die faster... Going to add the tranny cooler soon and going to put in the VB mod later on

Some TSBs that might help: http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=267096

If it's actually stalling then I don't know
Old 05-22-2004, 06:39 PM

Jatan,

It will actually stall.....The gears are hooking up great so it is not the tranny. However last night I stayed up and cleaned the TB and changed the fuel filter. It has stopped stalling for now. However when in reverse the idle will jump from 750/800 to 1500 and back again. The tack also jumps when in neutral and drive as well. Acceleration is great with no hesitation, but when coasting the car tends to pulse also. It is driveable but I hate how its acting.
I am thinking it may be the fuel pump but I do not know.

thanks for your response

brett

Originally Posted by JaTaN
Does it actually stall (like you would have to restart the car) or does it feel like it's in neutral (the engine just revs)?

I had the neutral thing happen to me. When I would drive the car, it would drive fine, but when I would put the car in reverse, the car would just rev like it was in neutral. My tranny needed to be rebuilt.

This happened when I was going to a meet in Wisconsin. The heat from driving 70-110 MPH caused my dying tranny to die faster... Going to add the tranny cooler soon and going to put in the VB mod later on

Some TSBs that might help: http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=267096

If it's actually stalling then I don't know
Old 05-23-2004, 04:46 AM
Say Candyman 5 times

Originally Posted by nismomaxse97
Hey guys and gals, 97 SE Automatic Car stalls in reverse, yet once in Drive shows no sign of sputtering or stalling. Just wondering if anyone has had the same driveablity problem and is willing to share a fix of possible fix. Thanks in Advance
When it was stalling more prominently would it stumble then stall or did it stall out right light someone turned off the ignition?

If it was stumbling and then stalled as soon as you put it in reverse I would probably think somehow the tranny was lugging down the engine causing it to stall. It's kinda like when a torque convertor locks up when in gear waiting at a light. I can't think of anything that's different when you put a tranny in drive compared to reverse, besides the actual internal of the tranny. (valves, clutches, gears, etc)

If it was stalling like someone turned off the key that might be something else, sensors, idle motor, something?

Now you're saying the stalling has stop after cleaning the TB and changing the fuel filter, but now you're getting idle fluctuation in reverse, neutral and drive. I assume you were not getting this idle fluctuation before, just the stalling problem. If that's the case I would concentrate more on the intake and idle control system. Clean the idle motor and EGR valve, make sure your TPS is adjusted properly, everything and anything.

MIKE
Old 05-23-2004, 05:33 PM

MIke,

Thanks for the tips, I think it may be the TPS sensor.
I will change the EGR valve as well.
The cars idle or tach has been jumpy the whole time, I just did not
note that the first time.

Thanks again

Brett

Originally Posted by CandiMan
When it was stalling more prominently would it stumble then stall or did it stall out right light someone turned off the ignition?

If it was stumbling and then stalled as soon as you put it in reverse I would probably think somehow the tranny was lugging down the engine causing it to stall. It's kinda like when a torque convertor locks up when in gear waiting at a light. I can't think of anything that's different when you put a tranny in drive compared to reverse, besides the actual internal of the tranny. (valves, clutches, gears, etc)

If it was stalling like someone turned off the key that might be something else, sensors, idle motor, something?

Now you're saying the stalling has stop after cleaning the TB and changing the fuel filter, but now you're getting idle fluctuation in reverse, neutral and drive. I assume you were not getting this idle fluctuation before, just the stalling problem. If that's the case I would concentrate more on the intake and idle control system. Clean the idle motor and EGR valve, make sure your TPS is adjusted properly, everything and anything.

MIKE