Fluids and Lubricants Motor oil, transmission oil, radiator fluid, power steering fluid, blinker fluid... wait, there is no blinker fluid. Technical discussion and analysis of the different lubricants we use in our cars.

How do you change the power steering fluid? What fluid should I use?

Old 11-29-2005, 08:50 AM
Pointy Elbows

Look three posts up. I made the same mistake.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:15 PM

aww shucks
back to the drawing board
Old 12-03-2005, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by bill99gxe
4th generation Maxima specific, but should apply to 3rd and 5th gen Maximas as well:

http://www.motorvate.ca/mvp.php/702

It's a simpler approach and is better than trying to pull power steering fluid lines and flushing in a similar way to a transmission flush because power steering lines operate at a MUCH higher pressure than the transmission fluid return line. You're likely to hurt yourself if you try flushing the power steering fluid in this manner.

A 30 to 60k interval is probably sufficient. A synthetic ATF which is Dexron II or Dexron III compatible (such as Mobil 1 ATF or Amsoil ATF) should be used for longer usable life.
Thanks Bill.....replaced the brown whatever with M1 synth ATF. As easy as it gets.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:46 PM
Seoul Man

This is a noob question that somebody posted before in this thread, but I never saw a clear answer. I've seen sites that say that ATF can't handle the pressure and heat of the power steering system, but I've also seen several sites saying that many foriegn and some domestic cars are now using ATF for both the auto tranny and power steering. It seems like new power steering systems and new ATF formulas are compatible with each other.

What's the deal?
Old 12-12-2005, 06:16 PM
Pointy Elbows

It says in the owner's manual to use ATF, simple as that.
Old 12-12-2005, 09:22 PM
6spd Swapped

Originally Posted by vortechpower
I use the old shop vac for everthing including sucking out power steering fluid from the resovoir. works great
That sounds like a good idea
Old 12-27-2005, 11:57 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Where do I find the power steering reservoir to check the level?

I know its under the hood but where do I find the power steering reservoir to check the level? I have an '87 Thanks
Old 01-12-2006, 05:10 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by 00MaxSE
It says in the owner's manual to use ATF, simple as that.
Well, yes but . . . The manual says to use Dexron II ATF specifically. If you have that available to you that's obviously the best choice. However, I've read that the different additive package in later ATFs can cause seal problems. About 3-4 years ago I quit being able to find Dexron II, so I have used the Valvoline Syn for the power steering without a problem.

BTW, the manual calls for Dexon III or better for the transmission, and gives a few other options, while at the same time allowing for Dexron II (only!) for the power steering fluid.

Tjohn

BTW, what happened to my post count? I didn't have a bunch, but I've been registered for like 3 years???
Old 01-12-2006, 11:14 AM

my manual says to use only PSFII. nothing about using ATF?? (2000 max)
Old 01-12-2006, 05:57 PM
Pointy Elbows

Originally Posted by super6
my manual says to use only PSFII. nothing about using ATF?? (2000 max)
I dunno. Mine's a 2000 and it says to use ATF. wtf?
Old 01-14-2006, 09:11 PM

i used penzoil or Valvoline DEX III to change it, then added a lil stop leak... worked fine...
Old 01-14-2006, 09:12 PM

i used Penzoil or DEX III to change it, then added a lil stop leak... worked fine...
Old 01-20-2006, 03:49 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

hey guys i did something super stupid and i know it. i was in a rush to change my PS for the 1st time and i put it in the break fluid, *the laughing starts*. i pump it out with a turkey baster and filled with brake fluid and pump again. i did that 5 times until all the ATF (Mobile 1 SYN ATF) was out i think. i dont see anymore ATF in it, well no cherry red fluid atleast. you guys think it will be ok? i dont know if i can post here but im new and i cant start a new post. thx guys and u guys r welcome for a good laugh at my nub self.
Old 01-20-2006, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by maf2003
hey guys i did something super stupid and i know it. i was in a rush to change my PS for the 1st time and i put it in the break fluid, *the laughing starts*. i pump it out with a turkey baster and filled with brake fluid and pump again. i did that 5 times until all the ATF (Mobile 1 SYN ATF) was out i think. i dont see anymore ATF in it, well no cherry red fluid atleast. you guys think it will be ok? i dont know if i can post here but im new and i cant start a new post. thx guys and u guys r welcome for a good laugh at my nub self.
Dude id recoment not driving the car at all! here is what u should do...
bleed the whole system thorouly, bleed all 4 wheels while continuously adding brake fluid to the resurvuar, not letting it run empty! do it untill u pump out at least about 20 onces out of the system, that shuold make sure its all out. u should go through about a large container (24oz) of brake fuid, good luck man. then u should go to amechanic and have them bleed the master cylinder, i heard thats a pain. i guess that should be ok.
Old 01-21-2006, 08:43 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

thx super6, ill do that
Old 01-24-2006, 12:24 AM

ur definately going to BLEED it MANY MANY MANY times. imo. it takes time to get an air bubble out, let a lone FLUID> just cuz u can't see the red doesn't mean its gone. it could still be diluted and present. however i honestly feel it won't be something TOO CRAZY. that is provided u have bleed enough.
Old 01-24-2006, 09:11 PM

Hey Guys i used castrol synthetic atf dextron 3 but my manual said PSFII I called Nissan to verify looks like its a bad idea and can damage the power steering from time to time the synthetic atf oil is lighter and the mechanism of the steering requires thick oil so follow on your manual and use other blends then atf if its says dextron 3 then use atf only compatible with dextron nothing else you don’t want to be paying allot of money fixing the car believe me.

I switched to valvoline syn powersteering
TopSpeed
Old 02-23-2006, 01:45 PM

I also spoke with a Nissan dealership like TopSpeedNY and they told me that if you are doing a complete drain and refill for an 02 max, you must use power steering fluid when refilling. However, if you are just topping off, you can pour in some Dexron compatible ATF, aka M1, Amsoil and so on.

The parts guy I spoke was real cool. He explained that ATF does not have the proper additives for the PS system to work properly. Draining and refilling with ATF will lead to an eventually breakdown of your system. The PS system in an 02 max requires a higher viscosity substance like PS fluid.

I hope that clears some things up.
Old 03-27-2006, 03:03 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

So i bought Amsoil ATF for my car thinking i could use it for my PS fluid because i wanted to flush it out and replace with new oil. Therefore, since i cant use ATF and i have a 5th gen. What PS fluid should i be using?
Old 04-27-2006, 10:31 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Steer-Rite fluid

As a suggestion:

http://www.run-ritestore.com/Detail.bok?no=17

good stuf ...

J.
Old 05-28-2006, 05:33 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Is using "Repair" liquid advisable? I've tried "Bars Leaks" in the past, but don't know if it did anything.
Old 06-03-2006, 03:26 PM
You should thank my D***

Originally Posted by TopSpeedNY
Hey Guys i used castrol synthetic atf dextron 3 but my manual said PSFII I called Nissan to verify looks like its a bad idea and can damage the power steering from time to time the synthetic atf oil is lighter and the mechanism of the steering requires thick oil so follow on your manual and use other blends then atf if its says dextron 3 then use atf only compatible with dextron nothing else you don’t want to be paying allot of money fixing the car believe me.

I switched to valvoline syn powersteering
TopSpeed

Originally Posted by NUmaxima
I also spoke with a Nissan dealership like TopSpeedNY and they told me that if you are doing a complete drain and refill for an 02 max, you must use power steering fluid when refilling. However, if you are just topping off, you can pour in some Dexron compatible ATF, aka M1, Amsoil and so on.

The parts guy I spoke was real cool. He explained that ATF does not have the proper additives for the PS system to work properly. Draining and refilling with ATF will lead to an eventually breakdown of your system. The PS system in an 02 max requires a higher viscosity substance like PS fluid.

I hope that clears some things up.
I was going to do a complete flush and then use amsoil atf.
Thanks for the info fellas. Just will go to the dealership and purchase some psf from them.

How many quarts will I need for the complete flush?
Old 06-29-2006, 11:20 AM

how can you "flush" PS fluid? i thought u use a turkey baster type tool and suck out old fluid.
Old 09-04-2006, 07:59 PM
Need A Light?

Originally Posted by ProV1
how can you "flush" PS fluid? i thought u use a turkey baster type tool and suck out old fluid.
you can also loosen the hose at the bottom...that will drain out all the fluid from the reservoir...after that, u can point the hose downwards, and drain as much fluid as you can...then just reconnect everything...pour in fluid until it hits the MAX line...and you're done
Old 09-11-2006, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by NUmaxima
Does anybody have any evidence or additional info to support this claim? The 2K2 manual (not sure about the other years) clearly states that Dexron III ATF is an acceptable substitute to PSFII.
Old 09-11-2006, 01:20 PM
Need A Light?

Originally Posted by BigFly_2K2SE
Does anybody have any evidence or additional info to support this claim? The 2K2 manual (not sure about the other years) clearly states that Dexron III ATF is an acceptable substitute to PSFII.
it says that in my manual too...i think nissan parts dealers are real retarded if you ask me...some work there becuz they need the money...but have no knowledge of the field...
Old 09-25-2006, 10:07 PM
Banned

How many bottles of Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF do I need for a full flush?
Old 12-30-2006, 01:40 PM

I do not know where this guy is getting his info --> "the power steering line is under hig pressure " .....LOL

I have 3 cars and do my power steering flush every 2 years or 20K miles. On each car (honda, toyota, nissan) - the method is exactly the same. You take out the return line coming into the reservior, you attach a clear tube (from lowes, home depot) and put it inside an empty catch can (bottle). The other end of the return line (going into the reservior) needs to be capped with another hose and clamp the end (you can get the end cap at lowes/home depot as well).

Now (with reservoir still with old fluid) ask your partner to start the engine, the fluid will start to come out from the return line going to the catch bottle - keep an eye on the reervoir, as soon as the fluid is starting to reach the bottom level, ask your partner to stop the engine. On my 03 maxima, the reservoir drains in about 3 seconds of motor running. Just make sure to never let the reservoir fully drain when the pump is running. Fill more fluid in the reservoir and repea the process. You do this perhaps with 2 quarts to fully Flush the steering system.

Just did my 03 flush this afternoon with Mobil-1. Pretty easy DIY.

And please do not worry about the return line being pressurized - it is not.

Just to give you an idea - I picked up an 03 maxima with 64K miles. The PS fuild in there looked like dirty brake fluid. While inspecting the rack I already see few drips of oil from passenger side of the rack... and this car is only 3 years old.....

A rack replacement is very expensive job, Flush you PS system before it starts to leak on you.....
Old 05-23-2007, 03:45 PM

So does anyone recommend any additives like Lucas? I've always had good luck with their products in the past but then again those were all american cars I owned...
Old 05-27-2007, 05:28 PM

Just did a PS flush using the turkey baster method. So is there amount of time I need to wait before doing it again to try and get the old fluid out?
Old 05-28-2007, 12:28 AM

drive around for a few days or like 50 Mi, then do it again, i do suggest taking the hoses off after u empty out the resevoir as best u can to get more fluid out of the lower part of the resevoir. its really easy and takes a minute, be prepared with a wide container or u will have a mess (and if u do have a mess make sure the ATF does not drip on to the belts below).
Old 05-28-2007, 06:10 AM

I was a little weary of trying to remove the hoses, so I came up with an idea. I was out at a store yesterday, and walked passed soap bottles. I came up with the idea of using the soap pump thingy to get the remaining fluid that the turkey baster couldn't. There is a barrier in the actual reservoir, but on the side in the tank there is a opening, and was able to put the pump in there to pump out the remaining fluid. I got pretty much all of it out. So, if your scared in other words like me, lol, on taking off the hoses, this method works.
Old 05-28-2007, 08:36 AM

but its just 2 simple screw clamps, this is how u gain confidence on working on ur own car, start with the little things, like these 2 easy screws. here this is when i had my PS cooler "problem" took some pics:

basically some idiot disconnected the PS cooler cause one of the connecting hoses was leaking. never hide a problem by creating another one
Old 05-28-2007, 10:21 AM

In my car there are different clamps than the ones you show, they don't have screws. Maybe Nissan did that for a reason, changing the clamps.
Old 05-28-2007, 11:04 AM

well u do have a 2000 and i got a 97 two different configurations even tho its the same engine
Old 06-01-2007, 06:06 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but since the manuals for the 2002 owners say Dex III ATF is substitute for PSFII, then I can use my Castrol Import ATF (non syn) fluid for my 2000 max in lieu of the PSFII from the stealer? My manual says PSFII but does not give the comparable fluid.

Also, it appears that flushing by running the car 2-3 secs takes about 2qts of fluid, so I assume the turkey baster method will take a lot more, any input as to how many times and how much fluid it will take if I do the turkey baster method?
Old 06-01-2007, 06:47 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by MichMaxFan
Correct me if I'm wrong, but since the manuals for the 2002 owners say Dex III ATF is substitute for PSFII, then I can use my Castrol Import ATF (non syn) fluid for my 2000 max in lieu of the PSFII from the stealer? My manual says PSFII but does not give the comparable fluid.

Also, it appears that flushing by running the car 2-3 secs takes about 2qts of fluid, so I assume the turkey baster method will take a lot more, any input as to how many times and how much fluid it will take if I do the turkey baster method?
You can use any ATF that is D-III rated, including synthetic-based fluids.

The theory that others have shared in this thread (that per their Nissan Dealer/guy behind the parts counter, synthetic ATF can be use to top-off the fluid but not as a complete refill) is ridiculous. Dealers want you to buy their stuff, so they will tell you anything to get you to do so. Many times their opinions are just that...opinions with nothing to back it up. They think that because they work at a car dealership that suddenly they're experts...and many people accept what they say as gospel...and that's even more amazing. Many dealers have very competent mechanics and I would accept that advice over someone who works at the parts counter.

I've personally used synthetic ATF as a substitute for PS fluid in every application where ATF is stated as an acceptable substitute for over 20 years...never a problem. In fact, synthetics will provide the same benefits to your PS system (cooler operation, less wear, better high and low temp performance) as they do for your engine/transmission.

Concerning the method/technique; I've done it both ways: removing a line and suctioning it out. Removing a line/hose will guarantee a good flush but it's more involved...you also have to be careful not to ingest air into the system otherwise you will have to bleed it. Using the suction method is much easier but you will have to do it multiple (4-5) times to get a good concentration of fresh fluid. I'd start with a couple quarts and see how many refills that will get you...

But yes, the Castrol fluid you have will work fine as long as it's D-III rated
Old 06-01-2007, 09:13 AM

Yes, my Castrol is D-III compatible...specially formulated for many spec's including Nissan D-matic as stated on the bottle. Sounds great, then I can atleast for now, use the same fluid in tranny & PS systems. I want to eventually switch to something like Amsoil or others but not quite at that point yet. Trying to atleast stay on top of fluid changes. Man, I have learned so much from this site! Thanks for the feedback!

By the way, any idea as to how much the system holds? Then I can measure what I take out and determine how much concentration of the old is left and how many times I have to do turkey baster method to get the old to minimal concentration.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:57 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by MichMaxFan
Yes, my Castrol is D-III compatible...specially formulated for many spec's including Nissan D-matic as stated on the bottle. Sounds great, then I can atleast for now, use the same fluid in tranny & PS systems. I want to eventually switch to something like Amsoil or others but not quite at that point yet. Trying to atleast stay on top of fluid changes. Man, I have learned so much from this site! Thanks for the feedback!

By the way, any idea as to how much the system holds? Then I can measure what I take out and determine how much concentration of the old is left and how many times I have to do turkey baster method to get the old to minimal concentration.
Not sure about the capacity...I'll check my factory manual tonight and see if it says anything for my '98. I'm guessing a quart and a half or so. They generally don't publish the capacity since the systems aren't designed to be routinely drained/refilled. I'd recommend you buy a couple quarts and run that through the system...that should give you a pretty good concentration. From there you can suction it out and replenish it each oil change/annually/or every 30K...whatever floats your boat. It's very simple to do.

BTW, I used to live in GR back in the mid/late-80's. I lived on the east side, near Calvin College and worked down by the fish-laddar, across the river from downtown.
Old 06-01-2007, 10:03 AM

Ok, sounds like a plan to me. Thks for the help.

You are fortunate, IMO, to NOT live here anymore. Things are bad. Really bad. Unless you are in medical field. They just said on news recently that foreclosures are worse now than they ever have been, and worse than the Great Depression. Some is due to overextended mortgages, but many from the economy here. I don't see it getting any better for a long time. GR area has like 1,000 foreclosures already this year.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How do you change the power steering fluid? What fluid should I use?