8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Warning Lights!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 05:57 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Warning Lights!

It's like Christmas on my combi meter....ABS, VDC, and Foward Collision all lit up...just happened out of nowhere. I've had the car 4 days. Any ideas?

Old 04-18-2016, 07:13 PM

It is telling you multiple systems failure, or the warning lights are not working properly. either way a trip to the dealership is necessary.
Old 04-18-2016, 08:06 PM

I don't recall anyone here reporting this particular combination of warning lights. I don't see how the forward collision system is tied to those other two lights, unless detection of a braking problem can trigger it. I would check the fluid level in the master brake cylinder reservoir, and if it is low, fill it with fresh brake fluid (not fluid left over from bygone days). If the reservoir is already at the full mark, a trip to the dealer should be made SOON. I would be a little wary of trying to drive far with that combination of lights lit up.
Old 04-25-2016, 01:20 PM

Warning Lights

Forward collision light will randomly trigger every single time I am driving. It doesn't matter if it's raining or sunny, the error will pop up which will not let me use my cruise control.

However, my car did got into an accident and the damage was on the side where the sensor is installed. Shop and dealership said that that the sensor looks ok so not sure what the problem is.

I am going to get the sensor replaced so hopefully that will fix the issue.
Old 04-25-2016, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Kalrakam
Forward collision light will randomly trigger every single time I am driving. It doesn't matter if it's raining or sunny, the error will pop up which will not let me use my cruise control.

However, my car did got into an accident and the damage was on the side where the sensor is installed. Shop and dealership said that that the sensor looks ok so not sure what the problem is.

I am going to get the sensor replaced so hopefully that will fix the issue.
I believe that you're pointing at the sonar sensor which detects objects in low speed maneuvering like when you're parking. The camera in the front I believe is what senses the frontal collision warning. If I'm not mistaken though, ABS, frontal collision warning, and traction control operate closely in regards to pulling what each of the wheel speed sensors are indicating (at least I would assume). Did you have the body work repaired by the dealership? If not, be very weary as the service department may blame the accident causing this issue and would then be a non-warranty matter, potentially charging you a diagnostic charge.
Old 05-07-2016, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by im not gay but $20 is $20
I believe that you're pointing at the sonar sensor which detects objects in low speed maneuvering like when you're parking. The camera in the front I believe is what senses the frontal collision warning. If I'm not mistaken though, ABS, frontal collision warning, and traction control operate closely in regards to pulling what each of the wheel speed sensors are indicating (at least I would assume). Did you have the body work repaired by the dealership? If not, be very weary as the service department may blame the accident causing this issue and would then be a non-warranty matter, potentially charging you a diagnostic charge.
So there is no actual camera in the front. There is a small radarsensor module in the front underneath the front headlights that controls the cruise control and senses frontal collision warning and all that good stuff.

I finally took my car to the shop and they were able to install a brand new sensor. The shop then took it to the Nissan dealership to get it calibrated. My car had to get an alignment in order to get the sensor to calibrate. So far I haven't received any error yet, but then again it's only been 1 day. Hopefully this fixed the issue.
Old 05-08-2016, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by Kalrakam
So there is no actual camera in the front. There is a small radarsensor module in the front underneath the front headlights that controls the cruise control and senses frontal collision warning and all that good stuff.

I finally took my car to the shop and they were able to install a brand new sensor. The shop then took it to the Nissan dealership to get it calibrated. My car had to get an alignment in order to get the sensor to calibrate. So far I haven't received any error yet, but then again it's only been 1 day. Hopefully this fixed the issue.

Part of the uncertainty here is because different models of the 8th gen Maxima have different sensors and cameras. My Platinum has a camera peeping through the bottom half of the Nissan 'hamburger' in the front grille. Among other things, it furnishes the front portion of the 'all-around' camera view from 'above' the car. That 'above' view is wonderful for really old folks like me. My neck hasn't allowed me to turn my head backwards since way back when I was in my seventies. It is nice to know how many inches I am from the edge of the garage door, or from the curb on any side or end of the car. I have also adjusted to the various beepings that can come from any part of the car if it gets too close to anything. Ain't modern technology wonderful?
Old 05-18-2016, 09:10 AM

My car did this at one point and the cause was one of the fuses in the interior fuse box was blown. This was preventing my brake lights from coming on (yikes!) and for whatever reason the signal for such a situation was the swirvy car and impact lights were stuck on like you are seeing. If you haven't ruled that out, be sure to do so ASAP, it's dangerous to drive around without brake lights.
Old 05-18-2016, 11:44 AM

Thanks for this good info corpdecker. I have not had this strange and confusing light array, but if it happens, I will now have something to check for.
Old 03-29-2019, 12:53 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Exclamation Defective Radar System / FEB

I had a Altima and the front radar only went into error or fault mode when snow & ice covered the front end.... now with my 2017 Maxima it'll be dry & sunny, cars around or not, moving or stopped, the error appears once a drive or 5 times, no rhyme or reason. My last service appointment, the dealer checked the system and found nothing wrong....I took some screen shots of my dash with the fault indicator on and return to Nissan next week. I've got the top of the line extended warranty which hasn't been used up until now... but hopefully they'll look after the problem without me having to do battle with them....I appreciate all the posts with similar issues, so I won't let them off the hook... thanks everyone!
Old 03-29-2019, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by 2017 Maxima Plat
I had a Altima and the front radar only went into error or fault mode when snow & ice covered the front end.... now with my 2017 Maxima it'll be dry & sunny, cars around or not, moving or stopped, the error appears once a drive or 5 times, no rhyme or reason. My last service appointment, the dealer checked the system and found nothing wrong....I took some screen shots of my dash with the fault indicator on and return to Nissan next week. I've got the top of the line extended warranty which hasn't been used up until now... but hopefully they'll look after the problem without me having to do battle with them....I appreciate all the posts with similar issues, so I won't let them off the hook... thanks everyone!
My wife has a 17 rogue and we recently got a notice of a software update for the emergency braking. I don't know if the software is the same on a maxima, but I can't imagine the systems between the 2 vehicles are different. I imagine the parts would be the same. Anyway, might be worth asking the dealer about
Old 07-11-2019, 08:05 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Dbain83
It's like Christmas on my combi meter....ABS, VDC, and Foward Collision all lit up...just happened out of nowhere. I've had the car 4 days. Any ideas?

Did you ever find out what caused this ?????
Old 04-25-2024, 08:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Checking back in 2024

Not sure if this thread is active but I’m having the same issue. Anyone find a solution?