8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

New Tires / SR Rims

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 01:35 PM

New Tires / SR Rims

Hey all,

I recently purchased a platinum and am thinking of purchasing the SR rims and new tires. I'm going back and forth on it due to price, but I really like how those rims look - they seem sporty but aren't over the top.

I live in Dallas TX and the weather here is usually sunny and some rain (sometimes really bad). From what I'm told, there's rarely snow here but sometimes they'll be a day or two of ice although that's not super common.

I am trying to find a tire that still sounds quiet and keeps the ride comfortable. Basically, I want to retain some of the comfort of the premium as much as I can. Hopefully, there's a tire that does this yet still adds some better handling to the vehicle although if it's the same as it is now, I wouldn't complain.

Looking at Tire Rack, it seems like the 2 highest rated options that are Grand Touring (over an all performance tire which I figure will wear out much more quickly and be rougher/louder) were the CONTINENTAL
EXTREMECONTACT DWS 06 and the PIRELLI
CINTURATO P7 ALL SEASON PLUS.

Does anyone have any thoughts or comments on those 2 tires or any other advice? Thanks!
Old 01-30-2016, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by cstrasz
Hey all,

I recently purchased a platinum and am thinking of purchasing the SR rims and new tires. I'm going back and forth on it due to price, but I really like how those rims look - they seem sporty but aren't over the top.

I live in Dallas TX and the weather here is usually sunny and some rain (sometimes really bad). From what I'm told, there's rarely snow here but sometimes they'll be a day or two of ice although that's not super common.

I am trying to find a tire that still sounds quiet and keeps the ride comfortable. Basically, I want to retain some of the comfort of the premium as much as I can. Hopefully, there's a tire that does this yet still adds some better handling to the vehicle although if it's the same as it is now, I wouldn't complain.

Looking at Tire Rack, it seems like the 2 highest rated options that are Grand Touring (over an all performance tire which I figure will wear out much more quickly and be rougher/louder) were the CONTINENTAL
EXTREMECONTACT DWS 06 and the PIRELLI
CINTURATO P7 ALL SEASON PLUS.

Does anyone have any thoughts or comments on those 2 tires or any other advice? Thanks!
The continental is a good all season tire for occasional driving in snow. Do you really need an all season tire in Dallas? You do sacrifice dry weather performance a bit with all seasons, but it also depends on how hard you drive. A summer tire will probably have a harsher ride but stick better when cornering hard. If comfort is more important, then stick with any all season with good ratings on tire rack. I trust their aggregate rating system from thousands of actual users.
Old 01-30-2016, 02:23 PM

I've driven both the Conti ExtremeContact DWS and the Pirelli P7 on my 4th gen (currently got the P7) and both are wonderful for Seattle weather...I too question the choice of all seasons in Dallas. We get waaay more rain up here than you would...I'd stick with a summer type tire for your climate.
Old 01-30-2016, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Amerikaner83
I've driven both the Conti ExtremeContact DWS and the Pirelli P7 on my 4th gen (currently got the P7) and both are wonderful for Seattle weather...I too question the choice of all seasons in Dallas. We get waaay more rain up here than you would...I'd stick with a summer type tire for your climate.
I can certainly go the summer tire route. My main concern though is how much of a reduction in treadware and comfort I'd have to sacrifice if I do.
Old 01-30-2016, 07:43 PM

You mean the black SR upgrade wheels?
Old 01-30-2016, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by mls277
You mean the black SR upgrade wheels?
Nah just the regular SR ones.
Old 01-31-2016, 06:02 AM

How much would it cost to swap to the 19s and the new 19 tires? I am considering the platinum and having the dealer do the black 19's on the platinum before delivery to try and negotiate it into the deal.
Old 01-31-2016, 05:25 PM

I lucked out and talked a dealer in South Texas into swapping. We love the look.

BH
Old 01-31-2016, 05:29 PM

Old 02-01-2016, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by Five 0

I lucked out and talked a dealer in South Texas into swapping. We love the look.

BH
One day I hope my garage will look like that! Looks like you have a toy for every season/element. Jealous of the toys and the Max. I put the black sports on my platinum so I guess I have that on you. Everything else... Not quite...
Old 02-01-2016, 07:16 AM

I had the DWS06's installed on my Focus ST two months ago. Many issues with the tires and 3 were sent back after failing road force. If you do go with the Conti's just get the regular DWS tires. Fantastic passenger tires with great wet capabilities. I'm on my 4th set on various cars.

The issues with the DWS06 should be ironed out by now, but check with places like tirerack to see if they are still having issues with returns. Also, my problems highlight the importance of road force testing,,,the tires would have passed balancing alone.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by Chris_L
I had the DWS06's installed on my Focus ST two months ago. Many issues with the tires and 3 were sent back after failing road force. If you do go with the Conti's just get the regular DWS tires. Fantastic passenger tires with great wet capabilities. I'm on my 4th set on various cars.

The issues with the DWS06 should be ironed out by now, but check with places like tirerack to see if they are still having issues with returns. Also, my problems highlight the importance of road force testing,,,the tires would have passed balancing alone.
You and I have the same car combo
Old 02-01-2016, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by TonyMaximaSR
You and I have the same car combo

The ST is a blast, eh? I recently upgraded the IC and run a tune on the car for a little more ooomph. Handling is better out of the box than the STi that I sold after getting the ST.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by Chris_L
The ST is a blast, eh? I recently upgraded the IC and run a tune on the car for a little more ooomph. Handling is better out of the box than the STi that I sold after getting the ST.
it sure is! Ive only had it a few months, and haven't gotten it tuned yet, plan on eventually going stage 3.