8th Generation Maxima (2016-) Let's see what Nissan has to offer on the 8th generation Maxima

Hard time deciding what color !

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 07:20 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hard time deciding what color !

I can't decide on which color !! I currently have a gray 2010. , had a silver 2000 maxima. I think I want something different . But can't decide . I'm 50 something . I really haven't seen any in person. One minute I like the blue , then I think I may tire of it. Ugh ! Any thoughts ?
Old 06-14-2015, 07:35 PM

Let me put it this way. I have a Maxima 2011 SV Crimson Black on Black with red stitching inside.

White cars: the only thing i like about it, is the tinting of the car and the roof if it has the black glass. It looks good. Anything else you add to a white car is just that, a white car.

Black cars: Same thing they feel a little plain and if you tint them, everything looks like a black hole.

Other colours bring the car out. I like the Crimson Black as it has the red look and feel on it, and depending on how you look at the car, it feels different.

Silver is nice if you add some other colour to the mix, slight black Tint, or Black mirrors the car just feels different and not boring.

Look at it this way. If you want to feel like you are in a Sports car, I would look at a colour like Silver, or the Crimson Black. If you want a luxury car, then I would consider a white or something like the off white maybe a light blue.

This is just my opinion and my preference, so please don't take it personal and go with your gut feeling. Hope it helps.

Last edited by shqipe; 06-14-2015 at 07:44 PM.
Old 06-14-2015, 10:10 PM

^^ You mean Bordeaux black...Crimson black is a 7th gen color. Bordeaux black is a bit darker too, looks better IMO.
Old 06-15-2015, 12:47 AM

The heat here in middle Georgia has caused me to buy lighter colored cars with lighter interiors. My 7th gen '09 is white with tan interior. I first tried to find a white 8th gen with light interior, but there were none closer than 333 miles at that time. And I had been hearing rumors that the light interior was almost white, and was showing signs of wear and staining during a 2,500 mile test (MONTE knows about this).

So I switched to a color I think actually looks very nice on this car - Brilliant Silver. And I may avoid the problem Nissan seems to be having with the light interior by opting for the charcoal. One reason I am not shy about leaving the white exterior behind is that, with this panoramic roof, the entire cabin is actually covered with black glass. Only the engine and trunk compartments would benefit measurably from the white paint.

And I will be helping the looks of the silver by having my dealer install the black diffuser panel at the bottom rear of the car. Also, I always install 1" wide strips of black rubber trim around the lips of the wheel wells (stops a lot of dings, and very few folks ever notice this, even when I point it out). This entails painting any silver areas inside of the wheel wells black. I will need to think a while before changing the grille area. I also think the 'floating roof' feature looks better on the silver than on the white.

I went through phases where I seriously considered the Coulis Red, the Storm Blue, and especially the Gun Metal. But I finally decided they were just a tad darker than my taste.

Last edited by lightonthehill; 06-15-2015 at 01:01 AM.
Old 06-15-2015, 08:07 AM

I always liked silver cars, but they have a white platinum in stock thats interesting to me. Thats my two top choices.
Old 06-15-2015, 08:26 AM

The problem is that every color offered looks pretty good on the new maxima. I know that I was torn between silver and gunmetal. It depends on what vibe you want your car to present, whether it be more classy, aggressive or low key.
Old 06-15-2015, 09:24 AM

I am having the same dilemma. When I did the original pre-order, I was quite confident the Forged Bronze was the one.

I still need to see it in person, along with Super Black, Storm Blue and Bordeaux Black.

I need to see how much the flake pops on the FB. I have seen the BB - but it was a gray, drizzly day - and it did look very dark. The metal flake was very fine.
Old 06-15-2015, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by gizzsdad
I am having the same dilemma. When I did the original pre-order, I was quite confident the Forged Bronze was the one.

I still need to see it in person, along with Super Black, Storm Blue and Bordeaux Black.

I need to see how much the flake pops on the FB. I have seen the BB - but it was a gray, drizzly day - and it did look very dark. The metal flake was very fine.
If I lived in the corn belt (Iowa) like you, I would have had Storm Blue, Forged Bronze and Gun Metal near the top of my list. I still remember summer vacations at Storm Lake, Iowa back in the 1990s. That was a real change for this deep south country geezer.
Old 06-15-2015, 03:48 PM

Deciding on color may not be the only issue. In my case I have decided on
Coulis Red Platinium with cashmere leather. Not only are there very , very few
Platinium's in my area, 50 mile wide. None are the Color combo I want.
Interesting when I search further out its not until I get out of the state of NC
do I find the color combination I want. It also seems to me the NC Nissan Dealers
have the fewest new 2016 Maxima's. Good thing my lease isnt up until mid September.
I was thinking to myself today that I may have to settle for the Charcoal Leather interior.
I haven't had that dark interior for ever. Anyway I think time is still on my side.

I thought by now the NC Nissan dealers would have gotten the second load of 2016 Maxima's.
Guess there is no ryhm or reason going on here.

Randy
Old 06-15-2015, 05:08 PM

I feel the Red with the cashmere is an excellent combination. It would be a shame to combine red with black. I would wait.
Old 06-15-2015, 08:51 PM

Randy - I feel your pain.

All I ask is a Platinum in either white or silver with any interior color except pink, with splash guards, illuminated kick plates, external ground lighting and interior accent lights. I have searched with the 'over 500 miles' setting, and found none in the entire country. And these are factory installed accessories, not dealer installed.

What makes this so hurtful is that my son has an Accord he bought straight off the lot a year ago at a dealer a mile from his home that has all of those features. Leaves me a little embarassed.

I will probably have to wait till fall and special order. So disappointing.

Last edited by lightonthehill; 06-15-2015 at 08:56 PM.
Old 06-16-2015, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill

All I ask is a Platinum in either white or silver with any interior color except pink, with splash guards, illuminated kick plates, external ground lighting and interior accent lights. I have searched with the 'over 500 miles' setting, and found none in the entire country. And these are factory installed accessories, not dealer installed.

What makes this so hurtful is that my son has an Accord he bought straight off the lot a year ago at a dealer a mile from his home that has all of those features. Leaves me a little embarassed.

I wish there were more interior choices, other than cashmere and charcoal. It seems that you like a lot illumination. Is that because of your advanced age or because you feel it makes the car more beautiful?
Old 06-16-2015, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by WasDmater
I wish there were more interior choices, other than cashmere and charcoal. It seems that you like a lot illumination. Is that because of your advanced age or because you feel it makes the car more beautiful?
You are right on about the interior colors. I love the camel/tan of the SR, and have always been happy with medium or light gray interiors, but, with our non-SR choices, I feel the charcoal is a tad dark for my taste, and the cashmere may be a tad light.

As to lighting, I have never gotten past my kindergarten days - I love colors, and have been known to plop down on the floor and grab the crayons and color away with my granddaughters on their coloring books. I minored in Astronomy, and have always been fascinated with the range and meaning of colors in stars and galaxies. I helped build the Copernican Orrery at the Morehead Planetarium at UNC-Chapel Hill, and have visited most of the major planetariums. I ground the lenses for my first Newtonian Reflector telescope in 1948. Colors convey so much information in astronomy.

But I have taken this into outer space. Sorry.

Last edited by lightonthehill; 06-16-2015 at 11:39 AM.
Old 06-16-2015, 12:38 PM

You are right on about the interior colors. I love the camel/tan of the SR, and have always been happy with medium or light gray interiors, but, with our non-SR choices, I feel the charcoal is a tad dark for my taste, and the cashmere may be a tad light.

As to lighting, I have never gotten past my kindergarten days - I love colors, and have been known to plop down on the floor and grab the crayons and color away with my granddaughters on their coloring books. I minored in Astronomy, and have always been fascinated with the range and meaning of colors in stars and galaxies. I helped build the Copernican Orrery at the Morehead Planetarium at UNC-Chapel Hill, and have visited most of the major planetariums. I ground the lenses for my first Newtonian Reflector telescope in 1948. Colors convey so much information in astronomy.

But I have taken this into outer space. Sorry.

Same for me, the cashmere seems to light and the charcoal too dark.

As for illumination, your reasons for wanting it are very interesting. In my case, I like colors, but I have never helped built any planetariums or grounded any lenses for any telescope. I just plain cannot see very well
Old 06-16-2015, 05:59 PM

FYI I pre-ordered the cashmere and dumped it for the charcoal. I found the cashmere way too light and slightly effeminate.
Old 06-17-2015, 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by netjack
FYI I pre-ordered the cashmere and dumped it for the charcoal. I found the cashmere way too light and slightly effeminate.
Probably a wise call for another reason - MONTE posted elsewhere on this board a blurb from a 2500 mile test period during which the cashmere began to look frayed and stained.
Old 06-17-2015, 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by WasDmater
Same for me, the cashmere seems to light and the charcoal too dark.

As for illumination, your reasons for wanting it are very interesting. In my case, I like colors, but I have never helped built any planetariums or grounded any lenses for any telescope. I just plain cannot see very well
I am nearsighted in my right eye and farsighted in my left eye.

If it comforts you in any way, I have to have Zeiss projector lenses in my progressive glasses, which runs the price to over $800. At that price, I no longer wear them for yard work or playing basketball shootaround with my wife, son and granddaughters. I use them only for watching TV, watching nature and driving my Maxima.

Last edited by lightonthehill; 06-17-2015 at 02:32 AM.
Old 06-18-2015, 01:49 AM

On the way home from the post office late Wednesday afternoon, wife driving while I sorted through the mail. We came to a stop at a red light, and my wife exclaimed 'What is that?' I looked up, and the cross traffic was beginning to flow by. The first car in line was a GORGEOUS GUN METAL 2016 MAXIMA! It absolutely sparkled in the late afternoon sun.

A guy going the opposite way from the Maxima, waiting until traffic to clear so he could turn left, almost broke his neck gawking back at the Maxima. The 'floating roof' feature really looked very nice on this gun metal. That sighting did not help my effort to try to wait a little longer to get a better price. I WANT one.

But I'll be leaving in three hours for a week out of town, so will have to hold my horses for a while.
Old 06-18-2015, 03:30 AM

On the way home from the post office late Wednesday afternoon, wife driving while I sorted through the mail. We came to a stop at a red light, and my wife exclaimed 'What is that?' I looked up, and the cross traffic was beginning to flow by. The first car in line was a GORGEOUS GUN METAL 2016 MAXIMA! It absolutely sparkled in the late afternoon sun.

A guy going the opposite way from the Maxima, waiting until traffic to clear so he could turn left, almost broke his neck gawking back at the Maxima. The 'floating roof' feature really looked very nice on this gun metal. That sighting did not help my effort to try to wait a little longer to get a better price. I WANT one.

But I'll be leaving in three hours for a week out of town, so will have to hold my horses for a while.

I test drove the gun metal and it looked very nice but it was parked right alongside to the pearl white. The pearl white really stood out to me and made my decision very clear that was the color I wanted.

After working the numbers with dealer I was able to get 1000 dollars off and the 699 fee removed but I held off. Yesterday I contacted another dealer and filled out a form on the internet with my contact information. they contacted me right away and the salesman asked me to come down and test drive it. I answered that I had already done a test drive and he then says "So, what do you want?" I told him that I needed an e-mail quote with their best price and he said " Oh no, we are not giving any discounts below MSRP and he hung up on me without me having a chance to say another word.

Maybe the first dealer offer was not so bad after all.
Old 06-18-2015, 04:49 AM

I'm showing over 300 2016 maximas in stock within 50 miles and they are hanging up on people asking for a good price?
Old 06-18-2015, 04:51 AM

Try the NYC area, I'm finding tons of combinations of colors on all trim levels last 2 days. I'm sure a dealer could swap one right?
Old 06-18-2015, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by mls277
I'm showing over 300 2016 maximas in stock within 50 miles and they are hanging up on people asking for a good price?

When I filter for 2016 within 50 miles I see a lot of inventory but a great part of that inventory shows also the 2014 maximas. Most lots within 50 miles of my zip code actually only have between 3 to six 2016 models.
Old 06-18-2015, 08:03 AM

When checking inventory keep in mind that what your see may not actually
be on the ground a that dealer. As I found out on tuesday dealer near me Nissan USA
inventory showed Plat/Pearl White with Cashmere. As of this morning the car is still
somewher in transit to the dealer. Also there are two other dealers in my area that
haven't received there first drop of 2016 Maxima's even those inventory shows 2 or three.

Randy
Old 06-18-2015, 08:05 AM

Agreed - my dealer has told me the cars show up on the site 2-3 days before arriving at dealer.
Old 06-18-2015, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by gizzsdad
Agreed - my dealer has told me the cars show up on the site 2-3 days before arriving at dealer.

Good information. 2-3 days isn't bad though in terms of being current info you can work with. If its on the way the dealer can work on the deal with you while you wait. I really want to see some color combinations in person and see the SR vs the Platinum in person.
Old 06-18-2015, 02:29 PM
I love lamp.

Personally, if I do decide to pull the trigger on a 8th gen, I think I need to get it in Coulis Red. It'd pay homage to my 86 2nd gen I had that was a similar color. However they don't have a frost gray interior color like my 2nd gen.

Name:  IMG_1129.jpg
Views: 689
Size:  65.9 KB

Old 06-18-2015, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by maximase86
Personally, if I do decide to pull the trigger on a 8th gen, I think I need to get it in Coulis Red. It'd pay homage to my 86 2nd gen I had that was a similar color. However they don't have a frost gray interior color like my 2nd gen.

That would be really awesome to go back to where it all started with the newest generation to pay tribute to your first Maxima.
Old 06-24-2015, 02:51 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Gun metallic looks great, silver was very shiny and reflective in my opinion.

My first maxima, traded from a Cadillac <br/>Cts coupe to this!
Old 06-24-2015, 03:41 PM

Go see the car before you decide. I went looking yesterday and saw a Storm Blue SR. No way you would know it without looking at the sticker, I thought it was a dark silver/gray in full sunlight.
Old 06-25-2015, 09:24 AM

I'd go with Coulis Red. IMO the car looks great in this color.
Old 06-25-2015, 11:36 AM

I'm leaning towards white or silver. I also want the premium spoiler as an option.
I'm between the SL and the Platinum though...it seems like the SL has all the options you could ever want. Platinum has some stuff I'll never use like Air Conditioned seats etc.
Old 06-25-2015, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by mls277
I'm leaning towards white or silver. I also want the premium spoiler as an option.
I'm between the SL and the Platinum though...it seems like the SL has all the options you could ever want. Platinum has some stuff I'll never use like Air Conditioned seats etc.
Between those two I would go silver, as it is my second color choice with gunmetal. The cooled seats are something I wanted, as being down here in Houston, it gets pretty toasty, so I knew I wanted the SR that also has cooled seats.
Old 06-25-2015, 03:30 PM
cnp

For color, nothing beats seeing in person. This is tough with limited supply in a small market if that's your case. For example, I saw the dark blue online, wasn't impressed, but in person gorgeous.
The difference in colors are complicated by:
1) Colors can change whether direct sun, cloudy day, night, so each presentation can alter your interest
2) Contrast (or not) with interior choices
3) If you like more contrast between the black roof and paint color or not.
4) The effect of the dark A/B/and especially unique C pillar changes whether darker or lighter color - while some have commented negatively, I personally like the effect of floating the roof.
5) Your interior choice - Cashmere/Camel/Black - if dead set on one, may change your opinion of exterior.
6) Look when dirty
7) And on and on.
Nothing beats looking at as much combinations as possible directly, perhaps different lighting conditions.
My 2 cents... .
Old 06-25-2015, 03:48 PM

Hi Light

Today got call from dealer that they recevied a Platinum/Pearl White and
Cashmere interior. Options - Mats all around , splash guards. They know I wanted to see how the Cashmere leather looks. Well Just came off the truck and is sold already. They let me see the car - No test drive which is ok by me. I just love the way the car looks and the Cashmere color is real nice. They mentioned to me Deliveries are behind , matter a fact this car was supposed to be at the dealer last week. They still have very limited inventory - One SR, One SL and One SV. I know its only been a couple of weeks since the release date. But I think this is going very slow. They have sold Three 2016 Maxima's - to date.

So I am sticking with Platinum Colious Red/Cashmere as prime color and
Pearl White /Cashmere as secondary. Hope you find yours sooner then later.

Randy
Old 06-25-2015, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Randy
Hi Light

Today got call from dealer that they recevied a Platinum/Pearl White and
Cashmere interior. Options - Mats all around , splash guards. They know I wanted to see how the Cashmere leather looks. Well Just came off the truck and is sold already. They let me see the car - No test drive which is ok by me. I just love the way the car looks and the Cashmere color is real nice. They mentioned to me Deliveries are behind , matter a fact this car was supposed to be at the dealer last week. They still have very limited inventory - One SR, One SL and One SV. I know its only been a couple of weeks since the release date. But I think this is going very slow. They have sold Three 2016 Maxima's - to date.

So I am sticking with Platinum Colious Red/Cashmere as prime color and
Pearl White /Cashmere as secondary. Hope you find yours sooner then later.

Randy
Randy - I am back from a week out of town (where I was cut off from the internet and other tools of civilization), and was surprised to find there were still very few 2016 Maximas at local dealers. The darker colors seem to predominate, which is not surprising when we consider that most of the eight available colors are kind of dark.

I have eased back on the pedal a tad, as there was another poster here with the Nissan Family and Friend benefit who indicated that some dealers will not accept that option for the first few months, as they are selling the 2016 Maximas very easily at pretty much full price.

I am also going to do some research with local dealers to find out which factory installed options might also be installed by local dealers. That would broaden my purchasing options considerably.

Also, although I began by wanting the Cashmere interior, I am curious to find if that tester's statement (MONTE gave us the link) that cashmere is showing wear and staining fairly quickly will apply in more cars. I MUCH prefer a lighter interior, but don't want to risk trouble.

I appreciate your help, and still have that Platinum down in Macon on my radar. I could be there in less than two hours. But I am not quite ready to commit until I obtain a little more info.

Last edited by lightonthehill; 06-25-2015 at 08:47 PM.
Old 06-26-2015, 06:10 AM

Randy - I am back from a week out of town (where I was cut off from the internet and other tools of civilization), and was surprised to find there were still very few 2016 Maximas at local dealers. The darker colors seem to predominate, which is not surprising when we consider that most of the eight available colors are kind of dark.

I have eased back on the pedal a tad, as there was another poster here with the Nissan Family and Friend benefit who indicated that some dealers will not accept that option for the first few months, as they are selling the 2016 Maximas very easily at pretty much full price.

I am also going to do some research with local dealers to find out which factory installed options might also be installed by local dealers. That would broaden my purchasing options considerably.

Also, although I began by wanting the Cashmere interior, I am curious to find if that tester's statement (MONTE gave us the link) that cashmere is showing wear and staining fairly quickly will apply in more cars. I MUCH prefer a lighter interior, but don't want to risk trouble.

I appreciate your help, and still have that Platinum down in Macon on my radar. I could be there in less than two hours. But I am not quite ready to commit until I obtain a little more info.
Light

I can confirm that at this time Friends and Family benefit is not in play.
This is not a dealer decision but Nissan. It could be 3 month's or more before
the Maxima is added to the program. I hope its sooner then 3
month's. As my dealer has told me they have no problem selling the
Maxima under the Friends and Family program except Nissan won't allow
it until supply is at a certain level.

So far we are not hearing any complaints from the small number of folks
that have purchased the 2016 Maxima. Thats a good sign ?

Randy

Last edited by Randy; 06-26-2015 at 06:12 AM.