7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help choosing between 2010 Altima SR, 2009 Maxima SV Premium and 2006 M35X

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 11:57 AM

Help choosing between 2010 Altima SR, 2009 Maxima SV Premium and 2006 M35X

I am looking to buy a new car and cannot make up my mind on what to buy. I have had Maximas forever and decide to check my options. Here are my choices

1. 2010 Nissan Altima 3.5SR with the technology and sport package. Has 65K miles. Will cost about $14K+ taxes

Pros:
Car feels extremely roomy.
Has all the packages and features, minus the heated steering and folding rear view mirrors

Cons:
Wife owns an Altima as well.

2. 2009 Nissan Maxima SV Premium with technology package. Has 60K miles, will cost $16K + taxes

Pros:
It's a Maxima!
Has all the features I want

Cons:
Costs $2K more than the Altima and gives me heated steering.

3. 2006 Infiniti M35X with 99K miles. Has the Sensory package and technology package. I should be able to get it for about $12K

Pros:
AWD
Infiniti Badging means better interiors
14 speaker Bose system
Lane assist, adaptive cruise
Dealer maintained

CONS:
The car is getting close to 100K miles so I will have to do plugs and other maintenance.
Car needs new tires and most likely 2 bearings.
Since the car has higher miles, it will need more maintenance
Interior feels little cramped compared to the Altima (I was surprised when I drove the Altima)
Older design.

What would you guys choose. I cannot get a stick so that's out of the question.

Last edited by mitrals; 11-18-2013 at 12:00 PM.
Old 11-18-2013, 04:53 PM

Umm maxima obviously
Old 11-18-2013, 07:18 PM

Max of course!
Old 11-18-2013, 07:27 PM

Being that you're in Chicago do you have a need for AWD ?

Is $16K your limit ?
Old 11-19-2013, 12:20 AM

Be aware that AWD means more things that can break, as well as slightly reduced MPG. Also, most AWD vehicles need to have tires with equal depth on all wheels (else expect excessive wear on the drive/gearing/differential system), so this can sometimes be inconvenient if you have a tire fail. Infinitis can be expensive to repair, and with that mileage, you will probably need some repairs reasonably soon.

The Altima is a fine car. I don't like the tail lights on the 2010, and I don't like the fact I would have to pick my Altima from the other 2,573.983 Altimas in the parking lot when leaving the mall. The Altima styling does nothing for me, but that may not be a factor for you. The Altima is a relaible car, with far more copies on the road than Maximas, so can be worked on almost anywhere. The Altima is Nissan's 'Everyman's car.'

I consider the Maxima styling to be vastly superior to the bland Altima. I love the Italian-looking front grille, the masculine 'shoulders' of the rear fenders, the Music Box disk system where I can load all my CDs, then never have to have them in the car again, and the heated steering wheel. I also love the multi-panel roof.

If it were me, there would be no option but the Maxima, because I have had no circulation in my hands since back around the time I reached my mid-seventies, and gloves do not help. Without the heated steering wheel, my wife would have to do all the driving in cool/cold weather. But you may love the icy touch of a frozen steering wheel.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:03 AM

Buying a car with 99K miles is just begging for trouble downstream. If you are looking for plain transportation get the Altima. If you want a more spirited driving experience and a better looking car it is worth the extra $2K to get the Maxima.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:36 AM

lightonthehill: Thank you for the response.

$16K is a sweet spot for me to get a car.

Agreed Altima is bland but it gives the best bang for the buck for me. The one I liked has the 3.5, Technology package (Navigation/Hard Drive and Bluetooth streaming), Sport Package (17" Rims, HID) and Bose.

Infiniti is maintained at a dealership and seemed to drive nice.

You can see how many Maximas I had and I am partial to them. My last Max took me 6 months to find with all packages! With the Premium package and technology package the Max will cost about $3K more than the Altima
Old 11-19-2013, 08:42 AM

I'll add that is arguable amongst members that the 2009 Maximas had the fewest problems compared to later years...
Old 11-19-2013, 09:02 AM

My 09's been doing well; especially considering how much I've done to it and how hard I drive it. Seems like the newer ones do have more problems.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Ghozt
My 09's been doing well; especially considering how much I've done to it and how hard I drive it. Seems like the newer ones do have more problems.
I find it odd... most of the time it's the other way around... new generations have problems and they get worked out over the years... go figure.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:39 AM

My guess is 6th gen was so bad, they had to recoup themselves
Old 11-19-2013, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Kawowski
I'll add that is arguable amongst members that the 2009 Maximas had the fewest problems compared to later years...

If someone did some investigating I bet you would find Nissan change parts distributers around 2010 for some parts.

If you can verify the M35 was dealer maintained I'd take the $4K you are saving ( vs the Max) and spend it on a Infiniti Elite Extended Warranty

60K miles is when the major service starts ( for most people) on cars so if the Max hasn't had anything done that you can verify it's about that time

Last edited by 13Maximasv; 11-19-2013 at 11:52 AM.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:22 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

IMO my decision would be between the Altima and the Maxima; honestly I think the Maxima looks way better than that Altima. The M35 is a nice car but you're gonna have more major maintenance to deal with sooner than you will with the other two options...
Old 11-19-2013, 12:53 PM

Maxima for sure!!

I'd say go with the max, naturally. However, at 60k and the age of the vehicle your powertrain warranty has expired. See if you can get an extended warranty from the dealer or go get your own. Plus you don't want to have two of the same cars as your wife already has an Altima.

Good luck!
Old 11-19-2013, 01:18 PM

Heart says Maxima all the way but pocket does not agree

Here is the final break up:

1. Infiniti M35: Will cost me $12K+$1K in tires (I can defer that to summer since I have a set of winter tires) + 500 for bearings/100K mile maintenance. Its from a private party so will cost $300 for title/tags/tax

2. Altima: Will cost about $13.5K + $1000 in taxes/title/tags - SO About $14.5K

3. Maxima: Will cost about $16K + $1200 in taxes/title/tags - ABout $17,200

Maxima>Altima - $2,700
Maxima>M35 - $4,400 (Not counting tires)

Decisions!
Old 11-19-2013, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by mitrals
Heart says Maxima all the way but pocket does not agree

Here is the final break up:

1. Infiniti M35: Will cost me $12K+$1K in tires (I can defer that to summer since I have a set of winter tires) + 500 for bearings/100K mile maintenance. Its from a private party so will cost $300 for title/tags/tax
If you know the car needs $1500 in work offer $1500 less. What size wheels does the M have ? I was able to get 17 inch Conti extremes for under $800 installed with a full replacement warranty

You are not comparing like cars, the M35 is a real luxury car. If you don't need AWD will RWD work ? If so look in that direction for less maint and repairs

BTW, how is the tax/title/tags so much cheaper on a private car ? Can you fudge the sales price where you live ? In my state all private sales are done by KBB value.

Last edited by 13Maximasv; 11-19-2013 at 01:54 PM.
Old 11-19-2013, 02:06 PM

13Maximasv : The car has 245 45 18, same as my last Maxima. I do not want a RWD considering I am in Chicago. Illinois taxes are different. It is 7.25% for sales from a dealer and private party sales are taxed based on the year of the car. If taxes were same the gap would be much smaller!
Old 11-20-2013, 04:30 AM

Even though were biased to the maxima the decision is clear. The infiniti is an old design. From 2002 that design was made. Unless you can find something equal to the maxima to put on your list than go with the maxima. Unless it's out of your price range. But than again the infiniti will cost more to repair. Theres no way to get around possibly having to pay for oem parts.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Kawowski
Really? Well I may have to chunk this '12 because I don't want any issues! @Mitrals go for what entices you OVERALL. It's really what you can bear. You had many Maxes so you know how they are and how they drive, your wife has an Altima so you should know of the quality and ride and for the Infiniti, yes the badge does equate to a better interior however you said it yourself it's a bit cramped. I always stick to what I know...the Maxima is gorgeous and even though its "dated" in some people's opinions, it's still a sight to behold, is fast, and overall gives you the best value. Good luck with your decision. I know how it could be (it took me 7.5 months to finally decide on my "Perfect Max."
Old 11-20-2013, 07:24 PM

There have been many posters come to the org with problems, many because they are trying to find help and many because they are trying to find out whether their problem is widespread. But many more Maxima owners have not come here because they have had no problems and are not looking for info or help.

For context, we need to keep in mind that in their 2013 Auto Issue, Consumer Reports gave the 2012 Maxima FULL ORANGE ***** (their top rating - far more reliable than average) on EVERY ONE of the eighteen categories on which they receive reliability reports from their hundreds of thousands of readers. Neither the Honda Accord nor the Toyota Camry nor the Infiniti G nor the Toyota Avalon accomplished that.

Of course that is little comfort to the few that have problems, but should tell them they are more likely to have problems with other cars than with the Maxima.
Old 11-22-2013, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
There have been many posters come to the org with problems, many because they are trying to find help and many because they are trying to find out whether their problem is widespread. But many more Maxima owners have not come here because they have had no problems and are not looking for info or help.

For context, we need to keep in mind that in their 2013 Auto Issue, Consumer Reports gave the 2012 Maxima FULL ORANGE ***** (their top rating - far more reliable than average) on EVERY ONE of the eighteen categories on which they receive reliability reports from their hundreds of thousands of readers. Neither the Honda Accord nor the Toyota Camry nor the Infiniti G nor the Toyota Avalon accomplished that.

Of course that is little comfort to the few that have problems, but should tell them they are more likely to have problems with other cars than with the Maxima.
That's really good to know. I like to have peace of mind when dealing with my vehicles. That's one reason I got a second Maxima. I haven't been seeing many new Avalons or Impalas on the road lately!
Old 11-22-2013, 10:55 AM

A tough call.
The Max is a great car and I'd take that over an Altima any day of the week and twice on Sunday.
The real sticky wicket is the Infiniti vs. the Max. My dad had that Infiniti. It was a great car. All the Maxima toys with just a but more luxury. It never broke and the AWD did pay off more than once (we are in the Chicago area as well).
A tough call. My gut says go with the Max because of the value and miles. But there's that Infiniti, sitting there, with excellent reliability and added brand cache...
A tough call. I doubt you'll get hurt with either.
Old 11-22-2013, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill

I came here because I bought a 2013 Maxima and to ask questions assuming it would be a great car not because it had problems.

I have to question the hundreds of thousands of readers statement, less than 60K Maximas were sold in 2012 and how many flled out the the survey, add to that how do you know how good a car is in the first few months of ownership ? Had I filled out my survey a few months after I bought the car it would have all Orange ***** also.

I wonder how the CR survey looked a year after the 6th gen came out, now there is a class action suit on the tranny.

IMO a reliabiltiy survey should start 2 years later to give people time to actually put some miles on the car, mine came within a month and thankfully I never filled it out or it would have VERY misleading data.

Orange ***** or not, this 7th generation Maxima has a 30 day backorder on short blocks as of today. How many people are spending $8,000 plus labor for new shortblock ? Chances are this is 99% warranty work but the consumer reports survey has a nice full Orange ball next to engine.

Should a engine marked with a bright orange ball have a TSB to replace a bearing ? Not in my book.

I enjoy reading your posts but I think you're putting a little to much stock in a survey people are giving of a car that the vast majority owned for less than one year when they filled out the survey. I wonder how many people on this forum gave the Maxima a glowing review at ~6 months old and are now experiencing problems.

Last edited by 13Maximasv; 11-22-2013 at 02:26 PM.
Old 11-22-2013, 03:01 PM

The Altima is out. I am now torn between the Max and the M35. I don't drive too much any more so gas mileage is not a concern. The more I am reading the more I am gravitating towards the M. The Max is costing $5300 more than the M, so I might as well pick up the M.
Old 11-22-2013, 03:18 PM

The Altima is out. I am now torn between the Max and the M35. I don't drive too much any more so gas mileage is not a concern. The more I am reading the more I am gravitating towards the M. The Max is costing $5300 more than the M, so I might as well pick up the M.

When I had my Max it only got ~21 MPG in mixed driving on premium, not sure what the M gets but is it that much less ?

Buy what you want and if the M is from a private party take it to a dealer for an inspection first
Old 12-12-2013, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by 13Maximasv
When I had my Max it only got ~21 MPG in mixed driving on premium, not sure what the M gets but is it that much less ?

Buy what you want and if the M is from a private party take it to a dealer for an inspection first

I ended up getting the 2006 M35X. I didn't have to take it to the dealer since the previous owner had all the maintenance done at the dealership and Infiniti does an inspection every time you take the car there.

After getting the car, I put on winter tires from the Max and am absolutely loving the car! Took it for an oil change and Infiniti gave a laundry list of things to do such as power steering flush brake fluid flush tranny flush air filter and cabin air filter. Nothing out of the ordinary. The car only hurts when I fill her up . On the whole I couldn't be happier. She is a snow monster.

Edit to add: The car didn't need bearings, it was just the tires. Previous owner took excellent care of the car.
Old 12-12-2013, 02:27 PM

I ended up getting the 2006 M35X. I didn't have to take it to the dealer since the previous owner had all the maintenance done at the dealership and Infiniti does an inspection every time you take the car there.

After getting the car, I put on winter tires from the Max and am absolutely loving the car! Took it for an oil change and Infiniti gave a laundry list of things to do such as power steering flush brake fluid flush tranny flush air filter and cabin air filter. Nothing out of the ordinary. The car only hurts when I fill her up . On the whole I couldn't be happier. She is a snow monster.

Edit to add: The car didn't need bearings, it was just the tires. Previous owner took excellent care of the car.
If the car was dealer maintained for 7 years for 99K miles you would think some of that stuff ( Steering, Tranny, Brake fluid) have already been done at least once.

The free inspection Infiniti does at every oil change is not as in depth as a pre sale inspection where one of their top mechanics will spend 90 minutes checking everything. The oil change inspection is typically just trying to sell you additional services

The one thing I would check is when the differential fluid was changed and keep up on that

http://www.mq70.com/forum/threads/26...l-Fluid-Change

Good Luck

Last edited by 13Maximasv; 12-12-2013 at 03:03 PM.
Old 12-12-2013, 02:40 PM

Man, used cars are expensive in Chicago.
Old 12-12-2013, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by 13Maximasv
If the car was dealer maintained for 7 years for 99K miles you would think some of that stuff ( Steering, Tranny, Brake fluid) have already been done at least once.

The free inspection Infiniti does at every oil change is not as in depth as a pre sale inspection where one of their top mechanics will spend 90 minutes checking everything. The oil change inspection is typically just trying to sell you additional services

The one thing I would check is when the differential fluid was changed and keep up on that

http://www.mq70.com/forum/threads/26...l-Fluid-Change

Good Luck

At 56K miles the previous owner had the transmission flush, PS flush, Brake fluid flush, differential fluid, all belts done (Paid $1400). He even spent $1300 to fix the seat lifter assembly that many M35s are plagued with. At 85K miles all belts were replaced again. There is maintenance logs of every air filter and cabin air filter changes (15K miles)

The car is at 99K miles. I plan to change the differential fluid, trans fluid, cabin air filter, brake fluid and PS fluid. That should keep her running
Old 12-12-2013, 05:13 PM

At 56K miles the previous owner had the transmission flush, PS flush, Brake fluid flush, differential fluid, all belts done (Paid $1400). He even spent $1300 to fix the seat lifter assembly that many M35s are plagued with. At 85K miles all belts were replaced again. There is maintenance logs of every air filter and cabin air filter changes (15K miles)

The car is at 99K miles. I plan to change the differential fluid, trans fluid, cabin air filter, brake fluid and PS fluid. That should keep her running
IMO you are all set except the differential fluid. Your $$ though

My last Infinifi ( before my current) had 160K on the original Tranny fluid, plugs/wires, power steering fluid. Belts were done at 70k and getting close again
Old 12-12-2013, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by t84a
Man, used cars are expensive in Chicago.

My uncle owns a dealership and all my cousins from MD would pick up cars from Chicago since they were cheaper here even after cost to transport. Maybe things changed now