7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 Maxima Sequential Tail Lights

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Ghozt
Thanks again everyone.

Also I don't doubt someone will be able to replicate this, its not rocket science, but all I ask is give credit where its due for the idea cause this was a lot of work from inception to fabrication. Reverse engineering the circuitry and designing my own was most of the work but the hard part was getting everything working together and have it look OEM when finished. You may not believe it but the way I built this its completely plug and play using the OEM wire harness.

And I'm already working on my next custom mod. :-)
You already know you get my thumbs up...you, Kmoney and me love getting our hands dirty with our Max's. We gotta hold it down for originality! haha. Dope mod, been looking into this for my boys Genesis coupe and never thought about it on WHYTGRL. lol
Old 02-10-2013, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by 20_Maxima_10
You already know you get my thumbs up...you, Kmoney and me love getting our hands dirty with our Max's. We gotta hold it down for originality! haha. Dope mod, been looking into this for my boys Genesis coupe and never thought about it on WHYTGRL. lol
you can say that again. i got load of mod m doing. not posting any yet untill everything is done. lol
Old 02-12-2013, 02:53 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Sequential Tail Lights

I luv the sequential tail lights on the MAXIMA. I also would luv to see the LED daytime running lights for the head lights...like the ones on a new Audi. I sent Nissan a recommendation for the above options for the new Maxima over a year ago.....never did get a reply............go figure.....
Old 02-12-2013, 04:41 PM

for the AUDI-style LEDs i think the reason they all look cheesy is because so far people have just added LEDs alone when the reason they look so nice/bright is because AUDI builds a custom reflective housing for them that makes them look brighter/larger than they are. individual LEDs without reflectors will never compare unfortunately. these q-block LEDs exledusa.com produce have reflectors that'd get you closer, but its probably still a bit of retrofitting.

also i wanted to personally thank the guy (i know you're on the forums too) who called me a d!ck in my youtube video comments for not sharing the method behind this mod's madness. mad i wont help? bro let me educate you. ive written a DIY for basically every other mod I have plus spent almost 2 years answering questions (that are most often answered with a Google or forum search), trying to assist people, or warning them away from doing dumb things; that's more than i can say for any other member of the Maxima community except for lightonthehill and a few others. i like helping people, dont get me wrong but when you come at me like that? you can forget it.

ive been considering producing sets of these or ones similar to these for sale; i easily have over 20+ people interested so far but who would really be prepared to spend the $ is the question? in my experience with Maxima owners unfortunately people say they want things but never pony up when it comes time to pay.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:56 PM

for the AUDI-style LEDs i think the reason they all look cheesy is because so far people have just added LEDs alone when the reason they look so nice/bright is because AUDI builds a custom reflective housing for them that makes them look brighter/larger than they are. individual LEDs without reflectors will never compare unfortunately. these q-block LEDs exledusa.com produce have reflectors that'd get you closer, but its probably still a bit of retrofitting.

also i wanted to personally thank the guy (i know you're on the forums too) who called me a d!ck in my youtube video comments for not sharing the method behind this mod's madness. mad i wont help? bro let me educate you. ive written a DIY for basically every other mod I have plus spent almost 2 years answering questions (that are most often answered with a Google or forum search), trying to assist people, or warning them away from doing dumb things; that's more than i can say for any other member of the Maxima community except for lightonthehill and a few others. i like helping people, dont get me wrong but when you come at me like that? you can forget it.

ive been considering producing sets of these or ones similar to these for sale; i easily have over 20+ people interested so far but who would really be prepared to spend the $ is the question? in my experience with Maxima owners unfortunately people say they want things but never pony up when it comes time to pay.
Heh, Haters gonna hate, Ghozt. Keep doing what you're doing though. I'm always waiting for what's next.

If you were to produce a kit, if the price is right, I'd probably buy. Sequential tails run anywhere between $100-300 for Mustangs. I'm much more interested in (saving money for) custom headlights though. At least halos/angel eyes. Those are damn sexy.

Last edited by Shipwreck; 02-12-2013 at 04:56 PM. Reason: forgot mustangs.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Shipwreck
Heh, Haters gonna hate, Ghozt. Keep doing what you're doing though. I'm always waiting for what's next.

If you were to produce a kit, if the price is right, I'd probably buy. Sequential tails run anywhere between $100-300 for Mustangs. I'm much more interested in (saving money for) custom headlights though. At least halos/angel eyes. Those are damn sexy.
Yeah this is probably why I won't produce them for sale; $100-300 unfortunately doesn't even cover the parts required to build the circuits, not to mention the labor to build the circuit and retrofit everything. With mustangs you can buy plug/play kits that are like installing HID kits; this requires a bit more work than that to do, especially exactly like I have here.

for those adventurous enough to try, they'll see what I'm talking about when they get their tail light open. and suddenly it will start to make more sense why im hesitant to offer the mod up for purchase; people will get mad at the price because they don't understand how much work goes into it.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:26 PM

Yeah this is probably why I won't produce them for sale; $100-300 unfortunately doesn't even cover the parts required to build the circuits, not to mention the labor to build the circuit and retrofit everything. With mustangs you can buy plug/play kits that are like installing HID kits; this requires a bit more work than that to do, especially exactly like I have here.

for those adventurous enough to try, they'll see what I'm talking about when they get their tail light open. and suddenly it will start to make more sense why im hesitant to offer the mod up for purchase; people will get mad at the price because they don't understand how much work goes into it.
I figured as much that you would have had to crack open the tails and I could imagine how much of a pain it would be to figure this all out. I saw a write-up on a Camaro forum. They didn't have to open the tails but the wiring was somewhat complicating. Quite the mess.

It was a bit unfair of me to compare the mustang kits because, for the most part, those are quick plug and play kits that would be easy enough to do.

If you were to charge for making these, I'd keep it similar to what you and Kmoney charge for the headlights. That would be fair in my book. My two cents anyway. Shoot, you're the first one to do it. You can charge whatever you want.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:03 AM

I say screw everyone and what they think it should be priced at. Its not mass produced and 99% of the peeps on here are too cheap to pay for anything unique.

Keep it to yourself ghozt, those that want it will grow a pair and do it themselves. Haha

Thats my 3 cents.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:21 AM

^ i agree!
Old 02-13-2013, 09:45 AM

I still think you should offer it for 2 or 3 grand and make some money off of any rich people with money to blow.

And include a small custom 'Ghozt' sticker for people to slap on their cars, too. Lol
Old 02-13-2013, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Serpent
And include a small custom 'Ghozt' sticker for people to slap on their cars, too. Lol
What's the HP gain on the Ghozt sticker?

But yeah ... this mod seems to be a major pain in the *** to do. Even worse than changing the ugly orange lights inside the car.

Even if he did do a DIY, there'd likely only be a handful of people that do it. And of those that did do it ... most of them are prolly capable of doing it without a write-up anyways.

I'll just admire the creativity from afar.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:22 PM

the Ghozt sticker will be clear vinyl lettering so its barely noticeable, basically a 3m bra cut into letters. also it will be -5 HP.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:39 PM

also it will be -5 HP.
dunno if the cvt can handle that
Old 02-16-2013, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Jig9798
dunno if the cvt can handle that
apparently my auto-tensioner couldn't
Old 05-13-2013, 01:26 PM

here's a vid I put together recently that shows the tail lights a lot more than these other videos

Old 05-13-2013, 04:59 PM

here's a vid I put together recently that shows the tail lights a lot more than these other videos

Saw this on vq35.com. Sweet!
Old 05-13-2013, 06:36 PM

Man you love VTZ, huh?!

The rear of our cars is definitely the least interesting side, IMO. Definitely takes some creativity to set it off ... these sequential tails do a great job.

Good video! Ever mess around with Stop Motion in your vids?
Old 05-13-2013, 07:16 PM

Great vid. Love the tail lights!
Old 05-13-2013, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Jig9798
Man you love VTZ, huh?!

The rear of our cars is definitely the least interesting side, IMO. Definitely takes some creativity to set it off ... these sequential tails do a great job.

Good video! Ever mess around with Stop Motion in your vids?
You're trippin. Lol I think the *** is mad sexy on my max. I get compliments all the time on it. Lol
Old 05-13-2013, 10:10 PM

I still gotta say a write up would be awesome :-)
Old 05-13-2013, 10:37 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Yeah....with some coin going his way. He spent his own money, time & effort. I think compensation for all this is not too much to ask.
Old 05-14-2013, 02:50 AM

You're trippin. Lol I think the *** is mad sexy on my max. I get compliments all the time on it. Lol
You think the back of a stock maxima is better looking than the front?! Or even the sides?

I dunno about that ...

One of the few redeeming features of the rear end are the LEDs. Ghozt took those to another level when he introduced the sequential lights for the brakes and directionals.

I'm not sayin the *** of the Max isn't sexy ... I love a good *** as much as the next guy. It's just not as good lookin as the rest of the car.

And Ghozt ... there's your next mod ---> sequential 3rd brake light.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by 1996blackmax
Yeah....with some coin going his way. He spent his own money, time & effort. I think compensation for all this is not too much to ask.
Originally Posted by smokin5s
I still gotta say a write up would be awesome :-)
Everyone wants a hand-out. That's why I don't post much on here anymore. 90% of the peeps on here don't realize the time and effort and research that goes into some of the "real" custom work that's done.

And even if he did do a write up, everyone would still have questions and hang-ups. Chewing up even more of his time, all done for free.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:53 AM

Everyone wants a hand-out. That's why I don't post much on here anymore. 90% of the peeps on here don't realize the time and effort and research that goes into some of the "real" custom work that's done.

And even if he did do a write up, everyone would still have questions and hang-ups. Chewing up even more of his time, all done for free.

Where do you get the assumption, that everyone wants a hand out ?

You seem to speak for everyone on here, but there are more people on here that are willing to pay for the services. You mentioned something about sticking it to the Rich people in a previous post. You also seem to have a hate on for people that can drop some $$$ on mods than people that have to save up to get the exact mod's done and do it themselves. I don't know about you but WE or I all work f'ing hard for our money, no matter where we live.

Yes custom work is hard to do and it is time consuming, but Great custom work is even harder to do. It is awesome that Ghozt was able to accomplish something that most of us like, and he a up standing individual to say thanks to another member for helping him get what he wanted.

I'll trust Ghozt work over anything, being fairly new here, I've read alot of Ghozt "do it yourself" write ups and they are detailed enough for anyone to follow. I'm more than willing to Drop a few hundred's or more in Ghozt hands to get a how to or even let him do the work for me. Though I'm in Canada, and that will make things a little difficult. Now time to get ready for work

Last edited by 09max_sv; 05-15-2013 at 04:58 AM.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by 09max_sv

You seem to speak for everyone on here, but there are more people on here that are willing to pay for the services. You mentioned something about sticking it to the Rich people in a previous post. You also seem to have a hate on for people that can drop some $$$ on mods than people that have to save up to get the exact mod's done and do it themselves. I don't know about you but WE or I all work f'ing hard for our money, no matter where we live.

Yes custom work is hard to do and it is time consuming, but Great custom work is even harder to do. It is awesome that Ghozt was able to accomplish something that most of us like, and he a up standing individual to say thanks to another member for helping him get what he wanted.

I'll trust Ghozt work over anything, being fairly new here, I've read alot of Ghozt "do it yourself" write ups and they are detailed enough for anyone to follow. I'm more than willing to Drop a few hundred's or more in Ghozt hands to get a how to or even let him do the work for me. Though I'm in Canada, and that will make things a little difficult. Now time to get ready for work
I think he's speaking cause he's seen a bunch of the comments on my work; heck one dude went off on me on Youtube cause I didn't want to share how I did it for free. I don't think he had anything against rich people, but was saying give it a high price tag like it deserves and someone who can afford it will still buy it. He's done a lot of custom LED soldering work himself, like swapping the LEDs on his interior dash, so I think he just knows how much work goes into something like this. It gets insulting when people offer a couple hundred bucks because it shows they don't really understand how much goes into this type of work...

I really appreciate these comments though, it means a lot that at least some of you guys have confidence in my work and how I do business. To be perfectly frank there are two main reasons I haven't offered to do a second set for anyone else, one is that after building it I had no idea if there were going to be issues with LED's dying or moisture - it'd be borderline irresponsible for me to turn around and sell something that I basically hadn't tested long term. At this point I've had 0 issues so far, but all it'd take is 1 dry solder joint out of 100's to separate from road vibration or something and ruin my day.

The second main reason is the exact way I did this, with the addition of the LEDs on the bottom strip it takes quite a bit of time in addition to all the soldering - so much that the price I'd have to charge is insane. My full time job is in IT, and I can do side work for $100/hr so when we start talking about doing other stuff to earn money you can see I'd really have to be doing it because I enjoy it - not because I want to make money so much. If I can figure out an easier/quicker/simpler/less expensive way to do it then I may be able to do some sets in a relatively affordable range. As is though you'd be looking at quite a bit - much more than I'm sure anyone wants to spend on just tail lights.
Old 05-15-2013, 01:50 PM

I think he's speaking cause he's seen a bunch of the comments on my work; heck one dude went off on me on Youtube cause I didn't want to share how I did it for free. I don't think he had anything against rich people, but was saying give it a high price tag like it deserves and someone who can afford it will still buy it. He's done a lot of custom LED soldering work himself, like swapping the LEDs on his interior dash, so I think he just knows how much work goes into something like this. It gets insulting when people offer a couple hundred bucks because it shows they don't really understand how much goes into this type of work...

I really appreciate these comments though, it means a lot that at least some of you guys have confidence in my work and how I do business. To be perfectly frank there are two main reasons I haven't offered to do a second set for anyone else, one is that after building it I had no idea if there were going to be issues with LED's dying or moisture - it'd be borderline irresponsible for me to turn around and sell something that I basically hadn't tested long term. At this point I've had 0 issues so far, but all it'd take is 1 dry solder joint out of 100's to separate from road vibration or something and ruin my day.

The second main reason is the exact way I did this, with the addition of the LEDs on the bottom strip it takes quite a bit of time in addition to all the soldering - so much that the price I'd have to charge is insane. My full time job is in IT, and I can do side work for $100/hr so when we start talking about doing other stuff to earn money you can see I'd really have to be doing it because I enjoy it - not because I want to make money so much. If I can figure out an easier/quicker/simpler/less expensive way to do it then I may be able to do some sets in a relatively affordable range. As is though you'd be looking at quite a bit - much more than I'm sure anyone wants to spend on just tail lights.
Hey Ghozt,

Ok that is a resonable explination. I understand people are going to hate what others do to their whips, in the end it is the owner of the car, and what he/she likes.

I'm also in IT business personal and corporate work, and I deal with alot of "CEO/VP/Managers" who ***** and complain all day, but when their servers are fixed, they don't say a thank you. To be honest what you did to your tails, I WANT!! lol. But then again, I'm not sure how much $$$$ you are speaking to get this done. Perhaps a "DIY kits" with extremely detailed instructions, for the end user to do on his/her own. I agree there are more R&D phase to see how things last.

Either way, awesome work...
Old 05-15-2013, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by 09max_sv

You obviously got me way twisted dude. "Sticking it to the rich dude"?? Haha, you must got me confused with someone else.

And yes, everyone wants a hand-out. I'm just keepin it real. I don't care how hard you work, everyone is willing to "try" something if it means them saving a buck on these forums, that's why it's a forum. But anyone can "try" anything, but there's experience and knowledge that goes into these special "custom" mods. This ain't no lick it and stick time stuff.

I don't hate on what anyone does to their car. It's your car and your money.But if you ask my opinion, imma give it to you. I do accessories/electronics for a Cadillac dealership, so yes I've seen/done some cool stuff and I've done some lame stuff. But just like I tell them at work "I don't get paid for my opinions, but if you ask, I'll serve'em up for free"

I'm simply stating that nobody really wants to pay for good quality work cuz it's pricey. They rather etch n sketch it together. I have done ALL of my work to my car with the exception of tint. So I know what it take to get things done.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:04 AM

I completely understand the work involved in making a write up... hell, I've written up enough of them in my day... I haven't done any for my 7th gen cause the car is completely stock.

The whole point of message forums is to discuss ideas and share tricks and troubleshooting... at least that's what I take out of message forums like this...
Old 05-18-2013, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by smokin5s
I completely understand the work involved in making a write up... hell, I've written up enough of them in my day... I haven't done any for my 7th gen cause the car is completely stock.

The whole point of message forums is to discuss ideas and share tricks and troubleshooting... at least that's what I take out of message forums like this...
I agree wholeheartedly, the forums are a place to share information etc. However, have you heard the following saying?

There are 2 secrets to being successful.
1. Never share everything you know
2. ...

For someone who is potentially considering this as a future side business, I'd be shooting myself in the foot to a degree. Like you, I've created many DIY tutorials that I believe many people have found helpful. Some are simple such as CVT fluid changes, and some are a little more complex like baking/opening/painting your headlights. I'd like to think in general I've been a fairly good contributor to the Maxima community in terms of knowledge/help/ideas/etc. Again, I'm still working on a way to realistically produce something that is affordable and reliable. If I could outsource all the soldering to some kid for $10/hr and know he'll solder correctly every time I'd be set.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:48 PM

If I could outsource all the soldering to some kid for $10/hr and know he'll solder correctly every time I'd be set.
Get me a proper schematic and I'll do it for 30 an hour. My AA degree tells you I'll do it right
Old 05-24-2013, 07:30 PM

You obviously got me way twisted dude. "Sticking it to the rich dude"?? Haha, you must got me confused with someone else.

And yes, everyone wants a hand-out. I'm just keepin it real. I don't care how hard you work, everyone is willing to "try" something if it means them saving a buck on these forums, that's why it's a forum. But anyone can "try" anything, but there's experience and knowledge that goes into these special "custom" mods. This ain't no lick it and stick time stuff.

I don't hate on what anyone does to their car. It's your car and your money.But if you ask my opinion, imma give it to you. I do accessories/electronics for a Cadillac dealership, so yes I've seen/done some cool stuff and I've done some lame stuff. But just like I tell them at work "I don't get paid for my opinions, but if you ask, I'll serve'em up for free"

I'm simply stating that nobody really wants to pay for good quality work cuz it's pricey. They rather etch n sketch it together. I have done ALL of my work to my car with the exception of tint. So I know what it take to get things done.
Look, I eat my words with my previous post, I'll admit it I said that stuff out of context and it was not warranted.

I'll like to do things all myself also, I've been playing around with electronics since i was in high school. Hell I play around with very expensive servers, switches and so forth everyday, and If I break them, I know how to fix them, of which I don't call people in to change parts, i order them and do it myself, if I can't find it that time, I make them out of spare part.
If I really break them, I know how to run fast...lol.. I'm kidding.

In the end you can't say $$$ is not about it, as it is. We all work equally hard for $$ and put in time for special mods, plus to spend it on things we like. In automotive world you can take things any way you like, for "do it yourself " people like yourself and ghozt, but others simple can't and rely on people like you to pass your wisdom. I understand there is a point that you want to keep things to yourself, as you worked your *** off to do it, and people want it for free. I agree with Ghozt, he should not be pressured to giving that out for free. It is all up to that person if he/she want to give up that information. If I were in ghost shoes, I probably wouldn't do it also.

Anyway, I'll shut up now..
Old 05-29-2013, 02:16 PM

Nice job Ghozt, now do mine..
Old 05-29-2013, 05:28 PM

ill pay 1 million when i win the lotto