7th Generation Maxima (2009-2015) Come in and talk about the 7th generation Maxima

Popping sound (only once) each time brake is applied in D or R. Anybody else??

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 11:15 AM

Popping sound (only once) each time brake is applied in D or R. Anybody else??

I'm hoping to get to the bottom of this little annoyance, so figured I'd see if anybody else has it. Basically, each time I put the car in either drive or reverse, I will get a little "popping" sound the very first time the brake is applied, but never again until I switch it out of the current gear into the other (reverse or drive). So here's the scenario. I start my car in the morning, put it in reverse to back out of the driveway, I hear the pop as soon as I apply the brakes. Then switch it into Drive and will hear the pop the first time the brakes are applied, which is usually at the end of the neighborhood. Just to troubleshoot yesterday, I found a stretch of road in the neighborhood and put it in D, drove about 20 ft. applied the brake, pop was there. Put it in reverse, backed up 20 ft, applied the brakes and pop was there, and so on 5 or 10 times just to prove to myself it would happen every single time and sure enough, it happens every time, but only the one time per gear switch. I'm really hoping someone else has experienced this. I'm within a couple thousand of 36K and want to get it checked out before the warranty expires if it's not normal. Just want to get some feedback first from the community because I can already hear the dealership telling me I'm sorry sir..."it's operating to design intent".

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-27-2011, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by rawbutt
I'm hoping to get to the bottom of this little annoyance, so figured I'd see if anybody else has it. Basically, each time I put the car in either drive or reverse, I will get a little "popping" sound the very first time the brake is applied, but never again until I switch it out of the current gear into the other (reverse or drive). So here's the scenario. I start my car in the morning, put it in reverse to back out of the driveway, I hear the pop as soon as I apply the brakes. Then switch it into Drive and will hear the pop the first time the brakes are applied, which is usually at the end of the neighborhood. Just to troubleshoot yesterday, I found a stretch of road in the neighborhood and put it in D, drove about 20 ft. applied the brake, pop was there. Put it in reverse, backed up 20 ft, applied the brakes and pop was there, and so on 5 or 10 times just to prove to myself it would happen every single time and sure enough, it happens every time, but only the one time per gear switch. I'm really hoping someone else has experienced this. I'm within a couple thousand of 36K and want to get it checked out before the warranty expires if it's not normal. Just want to get some feedback first from the community because I can already hear the dealership telling me I'm sorry sir..."it's operating to design intent".

Thanks in advance!
I have a similar sound. I had the spring insulators replaced about 10K miles ago. It sounds very similar to that sound. I think it might have happened again. When you get it replaced under warranty you should post on here as to the problem.

If you can make the noise, the dealer should fix it. It clearly isn't normal and if they won't understand that, ask to take a NEW one out for a ride with a mechanic, even if in the parking lot, and show them how it doesn't do it with that car.
Old 10-28-2011, 05:24 AM

That's great information and I will certainly get it checked at the dealership and report back to this thread. The only thing not exactly adding up in my mind is that if it's the spring insulators, why would it only happen once each time I change from D to R or vice versa? Seems like something like that would happen independent of a gear change?
Old 10-28-2011, 06:21 AM

I have what I would consider clank noise when I first drive my car after it has been sitting for a while. Similar situation as yours, first backing out, press brake pedal, hear a clank. Don't think I hear it when I am driving forward after that, but it may be there.
I brought it up with a dealer, but it was on the list of 10 other items that were more important to me. Dealer said they did not hear it, or something like that.
I remember posting here in a thread about this. Bottom line, I took the wheels off and inspected the brakes. Nothing seemed amiss, the springs that push brake pads were present. It could be that the pads are little loose in the caliper bracket and the slap against it, when you reverse the direction of travel and brake.
I am done with the dealer as the car is out of warranty! It was the best day of my car ownership. So sick of the dealer BS.

If you can reproduce the noise every time you drive the car, by all means take it to the dealer and show them the noise. Don't leave until Service writer/tech sees it and documents it. Otherwise you will get same BS as me.
good luck,
Max

p.s. here is a previous thread
http://forums.maxima.org/7th-generat...l?ref=esp-link

Last edited by maxud; 10-28-2011 at 06:25 AM.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:48 AM

That's great information and I will certainly get it checked at the dealership and report back to this thread. The only thing not exactly adding up in my mind is that if it's the spring insulators, why would it only happen once each time I change from D to R or vice versa? Seems like something like that would happen independent of a gear change?

I have no idea. I am guessing because the insulators act as perch maybe, and the spring is allowed to twist slightly, when the insulator is broken, and this is the sound. All i know is that I had a slight popping noise, not a clunk or thud, but a popping noise. It would also do it when leaving my driveway. My drive way is perpendicular to the road at about a 10% incline. So to keep my bumper from scrapping on the road I go at an angle. It also made that noise then. This is just my experience which might be completely different than yours. But like maxud and I mentioned, just bring it in. As long as it us under warranty then there is no cost to you whether or not they find a problem. Most dealers will "not find" the cause right away when problems are under warranty, which can be a headache, but if you can replicate it and get it either documented or fixed you will be in better shape.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:52 AM

there is also a TSB out for the spring insulators. So it is a common problem among the cars. I think there was a recall done for the 2009 model year. I don't know how to add a file on the forum, but if you send me your email address in a PM ill send you the PDF file of the TSB.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:40 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

My 2009 has been making popping noises from the front. I had the strut bushings replaced and it seemed good for awhile, but is back. When they replaced the bushings it was not part of the TSB recall, but it the symptoms seemed similar.

My popping (or clicking) noises are at their worst when the weight shifts in a turn to the outside wheels, expecially on right turns. Or, when parking the car. It seems that as the car comes to a stop, the springs make the noise as the weight balance shifts back in place.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:36 AM

I hear one clunck also. to me it sounds like it might be coming from the transmission. maybe its the steel band used in the CVT. I can see how that could happen going from normal running temps to cold temps for the band could cause such a situation.
anyone have any thoughts on this?
Old 11-03-2011, 12:35 PM

no one else?
Old 11-03-2011, 06:19 PM

The strut mount TSB wouldn't be a clunk braking or accelerating, it'd be turning.

My guess is the motor mounts. I haven't seen this particular issue yet, but I'd be checking the mounts (which are hell to change) first.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:46 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Vulcanw, I am still breaking in my 2012 SV (515 miles) and noticed a similar noise. When the engine is cold as soon as I hit 30mph there is a slight thunk. It sounds like a solenoid is opening or closing somewhere but it could be a band in the transmission. At first I thought it may be torque converter lockup but it happens at different load and ONLY on when the car has been sitting a while. Has anybody else heard the noise at 30mph?

FWIW, I haven't heard the noise described when changing gears.

Thanks
Old 11-08-2011, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by PorchWeasel
Vulcanw, I am still breaking in my 2012 SV (515 miles) and noticed a similar noise. When the engine is cold as soon as I hit 30mph there is a slight thunk. It sounds like a solenoid is opening or closing somewhere but it could be a band in the transmission. At first I thought it may be torque converter lockup but it happens at different load and ONLY on when the car has been sitting a while. Has anybody else heard the noise at 30mph?

FWIW, I haven't heard the noise described when changing gears.

Thanks
I hear mine when first starting to move...around 3-7MPH... I'm sure it's normal
Old 10-14-2023, 01:28 PM

Location: Southeastern Wisconsin, East of Madison, small town of Hustisford
Exact same frustrating sound.

Thanks in advance!
I just got a 2014 with 93k on it and at 94k I have the same sound. Back out of a parking spot and brake, nothing. Brake after 10ft while in Drive before pulling out of parking lot, loud *****/pop noise. My driveway is half a block from the gas station and when I brake after backing in, same noise. I did the self test also but it seems more apparent when the wheel has a slight turn in it. I can go about 2ft in R and D at idle with the wheel turned a hair and it pops every single time I brake after changing directions. F, brake, pop, R, brake, pop. It's definitely a metal on metal sound like something is being pulled and pushed against each other. I took my brakes off and cleaned em up super good and it didn't help. I'm investing in aftermarket brakes so we'll see if that does anything.