6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

The G35 and the Maxima

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 09:53 AM

The G35 and the Maxima

So I have been pretty curious about something and I am wondering if its even answerable on this forum.

My girl just got a 2006 G35. I've been driving it around for a week and much to my surprise I felt like it was faster than my maxima.

I've never been beat by a g35 at irwindale speed way and have raced many, modded and stock, but this one felt like a beast.

I finally got a chance to take them both to the track and run them. BUT THE MAXIMA beat the G every time! not just a drivers race but a consistent .2-.3 difference on the 1/8th.

So i am confused because the G throws my head back and blasts forward while the maxima just kinda wafts to speed. In the G I can feel the back of my seat pushing me foreward kinda like a lesser version of my vette but in the maxima I feel like I am being pulled foreward.

Who can explain this. Why does the acceleration in the maxima feel so light but is indeed faster in reality than other sports cars?
Old 09-17-2013, 10:00 AM

Must be the FWD vs. RWD platform.

I'm guessing you're comparing your modded Maxima vs. your girlfriends stock G35?
Old 09-17-2013, 10:08 AM

If its a 6speed, it has the RevUp engine which has dual VTCs and more power.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:21 AM

the maxima is a slow car unless you mod it heavily.

It is the reality

How the heck do beat G35s without forced induction?

Last edited by george__; 09-17-2013 at 10:23 AM.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Shift_A32B
Must be the FWD vs. RWD platform.

I'm guessing you're comparing your modded Maxima vs. your girlfriends stock G35?
her G isn't stock but it certainly doesn't have everything I do. I am much faster. I beat her by healty car length in the 1/8th.

I think you were there with me at the track on the day I raced 2 seperate G35s. I beat them both by .2 and .3 on the 1/8th. One was stock and the other had intake/exhaust/chipped. I know I am still more modified now but this was before I had everything. it was pretty equal, minus the weight reduction I gained by getting new rims.

{edit} My bad I don't think you ever went to the track on the LA CH meet, I was thinking about someone else with a similar screen name. Why don't you come with us next time? i can show you in person lol.

Last edited by twentyeggs; 09-17-2013 at 10:25 AM.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:23 AM

The RWD VQs have higher drivetrain loss than the FWD ones.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by twentyeggs
her G isn't stock but it certainly doesn't have everything I do. I am much faster. I beat her by healty car length in the 1/8th.

I think you were there with me at the track on the day I raced 2 seperate G35s. I beat them both by .2 and .3 on the 1/8th. One was stock and the other had intake/exhaust/chipped. I know I am still more modified now but this was before I had everything. it was pretty equal, minus the weight reduction I gained by getting new rims.
I never went to the track meets
Old 09-17-2013, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by george__

It is the reality

I don't know man, thats just how it happens. The G probably isn't as fast as you think it is.

and the maxima is a fast car for its year, class, and generation.

Last edited by twentyeggs; 09-17-2013 at 10:28 AM.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Shift_A32B
I never went to the track meets
I thought you were Martinez lol cause you both have A32 in your screen names, why don't you go to track meets? You have the most stock looking maxima in the whole west coast! That would be cool to see run.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:34 AM

I thought you were Martinez lol cause you both have A32 in your screen names, why don't you go to track meets? You have the most stock looking maxima in the whole west coast! That would be cool to see run.
See my sig
I just preferred a clean look. It just had some tein s-techs with 300zx wheels, red/clear taillights.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:36 AM

I don't know man, thats just how it happens. The G probably isn't as fast as you think it is.

and the maxima is a fast car for its year, class, and generation.
Hmm I am trying to get my Gen 5.5 to beat Cobalt SS and MAzdaSpeeds but these cars are a lot newer than the gen 5.5.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:50 AM

It is the reality

Here are some general numbers:

G35
Horse power 280 @ 6200 RPM
Torque 270 @4800 RPM
Weight: 3,677 lbs. curb weight

Maxima
Horse power 265 @ 5800 RPM
Torque 255 @ 4400 RPM
Weight 3501 lbs. curb weight

Findings: the G and the Max have the exact same VQ35DE engine. The g is tuned for more power with different parts that add HP/torque. However it is a heavier car zapping the minimal HP increase it has over the Max. even thought the G has a slightly less drag coefficient of about .03 cd (means in fluid dynamics it is more slippery) its isn't enough to make the G faster than the maxima.

that is the best answer I have for you.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:02 AM

^
those numbers can't be accurate
Old 09-17-2013, 11:17 AM

^
those numbers can't be accurate
wtf.. dude, I didn't make them up. these specs are directly from cars.com edmunds and car and driver. You think I am lying to you?

Can I remind you I have a g35 in my IMMEDIATE possession, and I have already taken BOTH cars to the track and raced BOTH of them on the SAME night in the SAME hour, and the results are almost identical to the information I just posted. If you still can't believe it, you have a misunderstanding of what the G35 is.\

The G looks fast but so does the toyota MR2. and those things are slower than molasses on a cold night.

Last edited by twentyeggs; 09-17-2013 at 11:20 AM.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:45 AM

You gave g35x numbers... Those suckers are AWD so all makes sense now
Old 09-17-2013, 12:41 PM

You gave g35x numbers... Those suckers are AWD so all makes sense now
dude, this is the last time I respond to you because you're wasting my time. The specs are not different between the X the coup and the auto, the only numbers that are different are the 6mt G's they have 295hp-300 depending on where you get your information. The HP/Torque are all the same here is a comparison chart to prove that. http://autos.msn.com/research/compar...&modelid=11967

NEXT the curb weight is what can be different but I did not get the weight from the X I got it from the RWD Sedan. The AWD system is much heavier than 200 lbs, the G35x weights over 4000 lbs. its 4100 and some change.

The newer models of G35 range (and this is more copy past from reliable sources) 3,628 lb (1,646 kg) to 4,149 lb (1,882 kg) 3,628 being from the g25 and 4149 from the convertible AWD and they have an insignificant 10HP increase from the last generation. 40 horsepower does not make up for over 200lbs of weight and we are talking over 500 in some models.

So don't tell me my numbers are wrong becuase you have some fantasy about the g35 being some rocket super ship. just because you are surprised about something doesn't make it wrong.

I was surprised when Obama made the second term, but that doesn't mean he isn't the president.

I said "general" numbers because generally they all differ from source to source. You missed the point entirely. The point was the cars are similar in specs, yet one feels considerably faster than the other when it in reality is not.

<--- f*** your smug ill placed upon wrong assumption smiley lol

and can i remind you a 4th time i have both cars at my disposal, and i raced them in a controlled setting, along with many past races with other g35s and the maxima was faster both across the line and on paper. feel like I am talking to a pile of hotdogs.

George are you even a predecessor of another George or are you just a George? Cause if I could be George the IV i would, that name is b!tchen

Last edited by twentyeggs; 09-17-2013 at 12:48 PM.
Old 09-17-2013, 01:25 PM

Here are some general numbers:

G35
Weight: 3,677 lbs. curb weight

Maxim
Weight 3501 lbs. curb weight
06 G35 Sedan Automatic

Curb weight - 3472 lbs.

06 G35x Sedan Automatic

Curb weight - 3650 lbs <-- closet to your number

Source: edmunds.com for the 2006 G35

06 Maxima SE Automatic

Curb weight - 3464 lbs <-- your number is lower

Source: edmunds.com for the 2006 Maxima

So just different sources with tiny difference in numbers...

I never said the G35 was a rocket ship

Last edited by george__; 09-17-2013 at 01:32 PM.
Old 09-21-2013, 06:15 AM
Banned

It is the reality

3 years ago my 04 max and a 06 g35 raced stock for stock. Maxima won to all our surprise each time
Old 09-21-2013, 07:47 AM

Maxima's will always be the underdog and will always be underestimated but I love it when I whip the smile and hurt faster cars feelings. I raced both infiniti's, coupe and sadan and took them out by far, even the Z. Both guys was like I don't get it, what mods you have. I opened my hood and they guys was like shut the front door. They gave me respect cuz I earned it...

Last edited by mrjasonlyrics; 09-21-2013 at 07:50 AM.
Old 09-21-2013, 11:12 AM

saw a couple z's at the track running 15's lol. At first I was like wow that dude does not know how to drive, then the other z ran the same. Pretty consistent. Non turbo'd and stock.
Old 09-22-2013, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by po8pimp
saw a couple z's at the track running 15's lol. At first I was like wow that dude does not know how to drive, then the other z ran the same. Pretty consistent. Non turbo'd and stock.
I've raced a few Zs and won, but stock i don't think i would have. they leveled with me all the way to 60 before I even began pulled away. i've also be beat very badly by some modded ones.

But I was talking to the G forum a bit and the biggest reason they say the maxima is faster is because the G has to send that power down a drive shaft for RWD which is enough to make it a tad bit slower given the HP:weight ratios are so similar. the exta couple hundred lbs is also a zapper

but you put both cars on a track with turns, even a suspension modded maxima doesn't stand a chance.

Last edited by twentyeggs; 09-22-2013 at 12:07 AM.
Old 09-22-2013, 11:57 AM

but you put both cars on a track with turns, even a suspension modded maxima doesn't stand a chance.
Don't tell that to Deus, he is modded pretty well for the track and does autocross smashing those guys pretty regularly. I am a firm believer in FWD vs RWD through turns. Unless you are a real good drifter, FWD will pretty much out due a RWD car. However that being said the Maxima has a huge turn radius which is a great hindrance when it comes to this. This is a very opinionated comment by the way
Old 09-22-2013, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by po8pimp
Don't tell that to Deus, he is modded pretty well for the track and does autocross smashing those guys pretty regularly. I am a firm believer in FWD vs RWD through turns. Unless you are a real good drifter, FWD will pretty much out due a RWD car. However that being said the Maxima has a huge turn radius which is a great hindrance when it comes to this. This is a very opinionated comment by the way
oh sure I know it is very opinionated. When I see autocross guys its the AWD guys that do the best, RWD that comes in second and FWD last. pound for pound and mod for mod the G35 platform was made for turning. lets say someone with the exact same type mods as Deuce threw them on a G. it would out do the max. It has a lower center of gravity, the balance is more centered when it comes to engine and body, the car has a throttle response out of this world with a shift kit.

You are right about FWD cars being easier to drive, but that doesn't make them better. It takes a more skilled driver to adequately handle a RWD car. understeer is for more damaging to track times that oversteer. If you step on the gas in a FWD and you spin the tires you go straight. If you step on the gas in a RWD car you swing out. The difference is you can control the swing and use the drift to cut the apex, in a front wheel drive you can't do that you just go straight.

This is a huge topic that was beat up on top gear once. The RWD car won the debate, actually, the AWD car won but the FWD lost badly.
Old 09-22-2013, 04:59 PM

if i get a little too spirited in my vette and step out I nudge my steering wheel into the slide to change my trajectory and shift my momentum, then easy back into the steer and i slide the corner instead of having to use time and forward energy to whip the back end of a FWD car to slide a turn; and then it had better only be one turn because in order to make a second turn you must gain traction back to whip it again. in a RWD car you can transition as many times as you want with great ease and no pausing in the middle. FWD also must carry momentum because it can't generate it when sliding hard turns. It relies on the energy you have stored up. So you have to dive into a turn and then accelerate back to speed after the turn. In a RWD you can enter at the apporpriate speed, then actually accelerate OUT out of the turn cutting precious seconds off your time. A RWD can drift as long as the driver has the skill to do so.

Here is the thing about all of this. In racing you DON'T want to drift. so why we are talking about this is funny. You do not want to break traction because once you lose traction you lose braking power and cornering grip. this is why understeer generated by FWD is so bad in racing. cars that understeer break traction so much easier faster and it is harder to regain traction and control trajectory in an understeer. You can always fight with oversteer you can't with understeer.

I am interested in your counter argument.

Last edited by twentyeggs; 09-22-2013 at 05:04 PM.
Old 09-23-2013, 02:38 PM

no counter argument here. I think it all boils down to the driver and the car. Put the same car weight and suspension mods head to head with fwd vs rwd. it is really the expertise of the driver that will be the deciding factor. Momentum no matter which car will be the same, you will slide no matter what. You need to know how to not slide to start, then how to recover if you do. Like driving on ice, I would take a fwd over rwd on icy roads any day. My preference not everyone's. I would rather pull a wagon full of bricks up a hill than push it. On the other hand I would rather be behind the wagon going down a hill vice in front of it. Each has their advantages. AWD is in it's own league, best of both worlds.