6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

6th max vs. G35 sedan

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 09:50 PM

6th max vs. G35 sedan

I've often asked myself this question and it came down to looks, but why did you choose your 6th gen. max over the G35 sedan? The G handles better, has rwd..or awd, sounds better...Is there any other reason you chose maxima? Price between the two is pretty much dead on in the used car market as well.
Old 12-24-2008, 10:14 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by MaxEx
I've often asked myself this question and it came down to looks, but why did you choose your 6th gen. max over the G35 sedan? The G handles better, has rwd..or awd, sounds better...Is there any other reason you chose maxima? Price between the two is pretty much dead on in the used car market as well.
Easy answer: 6 SPEED MANUAL TRANNY
Old 12-24-2008, 10:22 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

You beat me to it, i was gonna ask the same question, but the reason i took it is one, it was a hand me down, but besides that the reasons i would even take it over the G anyways is because one TOO many G's around, it's annoying. Everywhere and anywhere you go, you see a G coupe or sedan, maxima is sort of unique in terms of people having it and in my eyes it takes the cake in terms of looks, the only thing i like about the G is the led tails, other than that nothing. interior, ehhh luxury aganist a luxury "dream" so the G takes it but i'm not too big on that, just need heated seats (live in NY), and navi. Also, the fact is that around here my friend has a shop so god forbit an accident would happen repairs is CHEAPER than a G, not too many dealers around here for the infiniti. The only thing i don't like is the fact the maxima isn't a AWD sedan and the G is, and the avalible parts for it is another thing. Other than that i would of took the max. So it comes to this . . . LOVE THE G EXHAUST. Probably forgot somethings, did it quick . . .

Looks

Maxima > G Sedan

Performance

G Sedan > Maxima

Maintainence

Maxima > G Sedan

Space

Maxima > G Sedan

Max wins.

In my eyes.

g looks better than 6th gen...(ppl are gonna disagree, but thats my opinion)

Can you not get a 6 sp. manual in a G35?

Also, 6th gen. max beats G35(03-04) sedan in 0-60..so if you mean performance through power you're wrong. Performance through handling maybe.

Last edited by MaxEx; 12-24-2008 at 10:25 PM.
Old 12-24-2008, 10:26 PM

you can get a g35 sedan with a 6spd but no awd.
Old 12-24-2008, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by Bjs470
The G35 front is disgusting. For some reason it is just horrid in my eyes.

I was driving my mother-in-laws this evening(03 auto) trying to compare the two. My Max def. has better throttle response. This could be due to fwd getting the power to the ground faster or the fact that their car has only seen 87 octane...probably some combination of both.

Also, the transmission in manual mode is much more satisfying with the G.

The sound coming from under the hood of the G was brilliant though and I only wish my car had that sound. What make the G sound so much better and have 5 less hp? I don't get it.

Last edited by MaxEx; 12-24-2008 at 10:32 PM.
Old 12-24-2008, 10:42 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by MaxEx
Can you not get a 6 sp. manual in a G35?

Also, 6th gen. max beats G35(03-04) sedan in 0-60..so if you mean performance through power you're wrong. Performance through handling maybe.
Well yeah the 03-04 but I was comparing an '06 Max Vs. '06 G., and yeah there is an available 6 speed manny in a G35.
Old 12-25-2008, 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by mynameispee
you can get a g35 sedan with a 6spd but no awd.
Not when I bought my Max in 04
Old 12-25-2008, 03:15 AM

I bought my Max over the G cuz of looks....
Old 12-25-2008, 07:00 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
Not when I bought my Max in 04
uhh in 04 g35s had 6 speeds...

my review:

performance(some models are close)
G35 > 6th gen

Style(arguable but stock for stock a g35's exhaust, sleekness, luxury, beat a 6th gen)
G35 > 6th gen

Modability(this is a big one for me it wins hands down. like 10 to 1)
G35 > 6th gen

Interior space
G35 < 6th gen

Price(because maximas devalue quicker)
G35 < 6th gen

Luxury(it's a luxury car vs a sedan with luxury car dreams. maybe it's not fair to throw this in as they are sold in/to different parts of the market. then again who doesn't want something luxurious? and you can still have cloth seats and a price tag of 32k for the 6th gen when new, that's not a luxury car...)
G35 > 6th gen

Interior Quality: g35 > 6th gen (it can be semi close i know, but i tip my hat to the g35 and yes i'v sat and ridden/driven in both cars and they both can have a very nice interiors imo. but the fact you can get the 6th in cloth and the G has a quieter interior...higher quality interior trim pieces. over all more refined, it wins)

Gotta have it factor(when both were new, and now imo. assuming price was equal)
G35 > 6th gen
Old 12-25-2008, 07:01 AM
Got Retrofit?

Maxima > G sedan. Maybe not the G Coupe.
Old 12-26-2008, 07:54 AM
Banned

this thread reminds me of one i made a week ago...
Old 12-26-2008, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Torgus
this thread reminds me of one i made a week ago...
uhh in 04 g35s had 6 speeds...

my review:

performance(some models are close)
G35 > 6th gen

Style(arguable but stock for stock a g35's exhaust, sleekness, luxury, beat a 6th gen)
G35 > 6th gen

Modability(this is a big one for me it wins hands down. like 10 to 1)
G35 > 6th gen

Interior space
G35 < 6th gen

Price(because maximas devalue quicker)
G35 < 6th gen

Luxury(it's a luxury car vs a sedan with luxury car dreams. maybe it's not fair to throw this in as they are sold in/to different parts of the market. then again who doesn't want something luxurious? and you can still have cloth seats and a price tag of 32k for the 6th gen when new, that's not a luxury car...)
G35 > 6th gen

Interior Quality: g35 > 6th gen (it can be semi close i know, but i tip my hat to the g35 and yes i'v sat and ridden/driven in both cars and they both can have a very nice interiors imo. but the fact you can get the 6th in cloth and the G has a quieter interior...higher quality interior trim pieces. over all more refined, it wins)

Gotta have it factor(when both were new, and now imo. assuming price was equal)
G35 > 6th gen
Then why even reply to the thread???
Old 12-26-2008, 11:11 AM

no offence but a G35 looks simple compare 03-04 to 04-06 maxima looks better exterior and its more roomy

Sure the G35 has AWD and sounds better
But the Maxima [6thgen] is more spacious better interior design and exterior
You might call a 6th gen luxry car dreams but a G35 is no different here
A M45 is luxury not G35
It has the simple aspects such as leather seats etc etc but the maxima has it too
i had the option ot buy a used 2005 maxima or a 2005 G35 and i chose the maxima why? It was a fully loaded except nav and mint condition and it still was much much cheaper than a played out 04 G35 that looks cheap
Old 12-26-2008, 01:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 04MAX_ILLIN
Then why even reply to the thread???
because i made one just like it comparing the g37 to the 7th gen in the 7th gen section. ****. I felt i should explain while i would pick a g35 over a 6th gen here. i was comenting on how they were VERy similiar threads.

i don't see why anyone has to be in a huffy that a g35 > 6th gen in certain aspects.

Originally Posted by Nissan2005
A M45 is luxury, not G35
i hate to break this to you but the g35 actually is a luxury sedan while the maxima isn't. i'm amazed you arn't aware of this fact...

Last edited by Torgus; 12-26-2008 at 01:28 PM.
Old 12-26-2008, 02:43 PM

I do enjoy my max because of the room and the sportiness , But the G35 sedan is fun to drive RWD 6spd, my cousin has one but not enough room inside and sucks in bad weather. meanwhile my FWD is perfect. theyre both sweet cars just a matter of opinion.

Last edited by 2theMaX05; 12-26-2008 at 02:52 PM.
Old 12-26-2008, 08:16 PM

I was cross shopping the G35 sedan with 6speed and the Maxima with 6 speed.
The Maxima is definitely cheaper by about $3-5K than the G35 with similar mileage.
I live in MA where is snows regularly. I wanted a daily driver so I didn't want the hassle of changing snow tires and summer tires so the FWD of the Maxima was a plus for me. The Maxima has an advantage in interior roominess and trunk space. The Maxima also gets better real world gas mileage. Yeah, EPA estimates may be similar but if you read through the forums, you'll see that Maxima owners get better real world mileage.

I wanted a commuter car, and for that, the Maxima wins this one. For driving dynamics and name brand recognition, the G35 comes out ahead.
Old 12-26-2008, 09:25 PM

well if we're talking about the g35 sedan, i'll go with my max.... i dont know the reason why get a g35 sedan when you have the maxima around... the g35 for me is just too much luxury... the maxima is a great combo of luxury and performance (in my opinion)... a lil bit advantages and disadvantages between the two but the perfect combination made it clear for me... that's my deciding factor between the two magnificent vehicles...

my maxima's 1st birthday was 5 days ago and it makes me reminisce the time that i was debating on which car to buy... and i can say that im so happy with my decision to go with tha maxima...
Old 12-27-2008, 10:56 AM
Stang-seeking Max Missile

In October 2005, my wife and I bought a Murano SL for her and a Max SL for me. I actually wanted to get Infinitis but she couldn't get herself to like the FX body style (I loved it). Needless to say, we got a great deal buying 2 at once from the same dealer. Doing this at Infiniti would've been about 10% more, so price WAS an issue for our decision (plus the fact that she liked the Murano over the FX, even though I liked the G over the Max, but that's marriage).

Now that our warranties have expired, we're shopping again. I showed her the EX, which she likes. I will "test the waters" to see if I can get a decent deal on a G37x. If not, I'll be perfectly content with keeping my Maxima- it's a great car for the $$$.
Old 12-27-2008, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Bjs470
And is more fun to drive IMHO. (ppl are gonna disagree with this also, but it's my opinion).
Old 12-27-2008, 07:49 PM

I went with the Maxima for the fact that it is overlooked, most don't realize it is just as much a luxury car without the badge and the image, my X-Boss had a complex, I don't want people in my business, it sleek and sporty and blends in.

A G35 sedan is nice but I never really liked the front end, interior size it is smaller then the 6th gen, feels more like a glove where the Max just has more roominess.

Price when new was an issue especially since the northeast dealers order all sedans in G35X configuration

Maintenance was not a concern, if you return to the dealer it will cost more but you get better attention to detail at infiniti.

I wanted the G35coupe but that would have put me higher up on the mod and money issues as well as made me more of a target for cops.
Old 12-27-2008, 08:40 PM

because i made one just like it comparing the g37 to the 7th gen in the 7th gen section. ****. I felt i should explain while i would pick a g35 over a 6th gen here. i was comenting on how they were VERy similiar threads.

i don't see why anyone has to be in a huffy that a g35 > 6th gen in certain aspects.

i hate to break this to you but the g35 actually is a luxury sedan while the maxima isn't. i'm amazed you arn't aware of this fact...
What fact are you talking about ? the only thing a G35 has soo special is being AWD and the rest you can have the same options with a Maxima
Your just being biased just like how most ppl think omg omg i got a badge newsflash buddy a G35 is not a REAL luxury and will never be same goes for a 325I now 525I and M45 different stories
Old 12-27-2008, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by nlt624
And is more fun to drive IMHO. (ppl are gonna disagree with this also, but it's my opinion).
It may be fun to drive wreckless in a parking lot with a RWD or AWD platform but for most of the ppl use it to drive to work school shopping anything that throws at them
i mean sure i wanted the o so great VQ engine but now after getting points on my license i began to think its not even worth it
I think i was better off with a 1.8 liter versa
Old 12-27-2008, 10:18 PM

same goes for a 325I now 525I and M45 different stories
What? That makes no sense.

As for the guy who said this thread is a lot like the 7th gen. one..I have never been to that part of this site, so I'm sorry. This is quite a bit different though since we are in fact talking about much different price points.
Old 12-28-2008, 07:45 AM
Banned

the only thing a G35 has soo special is being AWD and the rest you can have the same options with a Maxima
lawlz
well it's obvious you don't know what you're talking about so let me educate you a little...the big differences:
awd
rwd
coupe or sedan
it is a luxury vehicle
you can actually 'mod it'
6spd

Your just being biased buddy, a G35 is not REAL luxury and will never be same goes for a 325I now 525I and M45 different stories
right...because you decide what a luxury car is not the manufactures. you should work for car and driver. any other little gems of brilliance you'd like to drop on us?

It may be fun to drive wreckless in a parking lot with a RWD or AWD platform but for most of the ppl use it to drive to work school shopping anything that throws at them
by that statement you just showed you have no idea what you are talking about. you just explained why they have an awd model vs a fwd maxima. for people who want luxury and the safest way to get from point A to B. the maxima can't offer this. oh and rwd isn't just for doing donuts in a parking lot.

i mean sure i wanted the o so great VQ engine but now after getting points on my license i began to think its not even worth it I think i was better off with a 1.8 liter versa
It's not the engine's fault for you getting speeding tickets. you're just an idiot. you can get a speeding ticket in a 1.8 versa ****. seriously stop posting.

Last edited by Torgus; 12-28-2008 at 08:20 AM. Reason: because Nissan2005 is a tard
Old 12-28-2008, 08:57 AM

lawlz
well it's obvious you don't know what you're talking about so let me educate you a little...the big differences:
awd
rwd
coupe or sedan
it is a luxury vehicle
you can actually 'mod it'
6spd

right...because you decide what a luxury car is not the manufactures. you should work for car and driver. any other little gems of brilliance you'd like to drop on us?

by that statement you just showed you have no idea what you are talking about. you just explained why they have an awd model vs a fwd maxima. for people who want luxury and the safest way to get from point A to B. the maxima can't offer this. oh and rwd isn't just for doing donuts in a parking lot.

It's not the engine's fault for you getting speeding tickets. you're just an idiot. you can get a speeding ticket in a 1.8 versa ****. seriously stop posting.
You sure do spend alot of time in the 6th gen section and dont even own one correct? Hmmm.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:32 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 04MAX_ILLIN
You sure do spend alot of time in the 6th gen section and dont even own one correct? Hmmm.
point or stating a fact?

i'v owned 3rd 4th 5th gens and modded them all, as well as prototyped parts for maximas. so i feel i can post where i want on this forum...

while i seriously doubt i'll ever own a 6th or 7th gen(g37 ftw) i still will post in their sections...
Old 12-28-2008, 11:52 AM

From a value stand point, the Maxima wins.

I went to a dealer yesterday to get some parts and they had 20 2008 Maxima's all with under 20,000 miles going for $10,000-$15,000!

Lets remember it is still 2008 too!!!
Old 12-28-2008, 12:12 PM

2008 maxima for 10-15K wow thats sounds like a steal
Old 12-28-2008, 01:25 PM

$10-15K? I don't believe that at all.
Old 12-28-2008, 02:05 PM
Banned

show me a dealer selling an 08 for 10k with 20k miles. please. that would mean mine is worth around 5k...
Old 12-28-2008, 03:12 PM

^^i highly doubt you can get a 07 , 08 maximma for 25k with under 20k miles. especvially in ny, ppl here love maximas. and dealers know that so i dont think they are that cheap.

if they are then damn i will stop looking for sti/evo and grab one in white.
Old 12-28-2008, 05:38 PM

Costal Nissan in Norwell, MA.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:47 PM

They're both the same level of luxury (entry) - infiniti is more of a luxury BRAND, while the Maxima is "Nissans Flagship" (it says so on my window sticker). They are both a step above accord/camry (as is the TL and ES350). I considered both in August, but I need FWD (RWD SUCKS in winter weather), and the g35x gets like 15MPG. I looked at one low priced G35 and it didn't even have memory seats - an option just like the Max. How can something be 'luxury' if memory seats are not standard? I guess the biggest factor was the 27K price tag for a 34.6 sticker on my Max thanks to the new 7th gen. No contest...
Old 12-29-2008, 05:45 AM

Why the Max? Simple. Driving the G (I am six-two), I felt like a sardine in a small tin can. Like I would be seriously injured or killed in any driver's side collision.
Old 12-29-2008, 06:09 AM

I debated this for about 6 months before I bought another Max, between an 07 Max and a 05 G35X. the two were very close in price, but the Maxima won out because I found a nicely equipped SE model that had a much better interior than the G35 and I couldn't find a G35 without that ugly tan leather interior. In the end though, the dealbreaker was gas prices. even though the G35X was a blast to drive and was AWD, 16 MPG just wont cut it.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:59 AM
Banned

where are you getting 15mpg from?
the g35x gets in the city 18, highway 24...
Old 12-29-2008, 12:10 PM
I Donate! Why Don't You?

Price & Space.
Old 12-29-2008, 04:24 PM
"Ok,Whats next?!?!"

Originally Posted by chris2k5
From a value stand point, the Maxima wins.

I went to a dealer yesterday to get some parts and they had 20 2008 Maxima's all with under 20,000 miles going for $10,000-$15,000!

Lets remember it is still 2008 too!!!
Uh... i went to their website and they had 1 2008 and it was not anywhere near 10,000-15,000 .... and the miles were 29XXX...

All the others on the site were from 2004 - 2006 and around 1600 most 17k 18 19k 20k...

http://www.coastalnissan.com/Used-Car-Norwell-MA.html

Just click the tab for make and model and put nissan maxima... only one page comes up

Silly newb

Quick Reply: 6th max vs. G35 sedan