6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

6th max vs. G35 sedan

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 10:32 AM

Don't know if it was stated but here in Canada you can't get a G with heated steering wheel while 6th gen comes with it standard (I believe).
Old 01-23-2009, 10:28 PM
Incognito

like I said, my buddy has a g35, If i need to make a vid of us at the track ill gladly show you how my maxima, is faster then his G35. btw, im talking 04vs04 auto vs auto here, the 6speed will pull, but not by much.

honestly... let me make where I stand on this matter clear for the haters.

Infiniti is an over priced nissan which has features that could easily be standard on a nissan, but then again, how could they market infiniti if they didnt make it slighty different. Quality wise, both car companies are the same.

$100 says if you took a new g35 and a new maxima, then switched out the emblems (inifinit logo on the max, vice versa) then asked 20 random people (not car enthusiasts, just people) which one looked better. Id say 80% would pick the one with the infiniti badge just because it says infiniti.

Buy a car you like because YOU like it. and for everyone saying Im just talkin down to infiniti because I dont have one or cant afford it... laugh. Id rather have money in the bank then to spend 500+ a month on an over priced nissan. **** I spend 450 a month still on the Max. Its not like Im driving a Daewoo. No offense to the 5th gen, but the 6th/7th gen Max is alot different.
Old 01-24-2009, 06:04 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by BigPete
like I said, my buddy has a g35, If i need to make a vid of us at the track ill gladly show you how my maxima, is faster then his G35. btw, im talking 04vs04 auto vs auto here, the 6speed will pull, but not by much.

honestly... let me make where I stand on this matter clear for the haters.

Infiniti is an over priced nissan which has features that could easily be standard on a nissan, but then again, how could they market infiniti if they didnt make it slighty different. Quality wise, both car companies are the same.

$100 says if you took a new g35 and a new maxima, then switched out the emblems (inifinit logo on the max, vice versa) then asked 20 random people (not car enthusiasts, just people) which one looked better. Id say 80% would pick the one with the infiniti badge just because it says infiniti.

Buy a car you like because YOU like it. and for everyone saying Im just talkin down to infiniti because I dont have one or cant afford it... laugh. Id rather have money in the bank then to spend 500+ a month on an over priced nissan. **** I spend 450 a month still on the Max. Its not like Im driving a Daewoo. No offense to the 5th gen, but the 6th/7th gen Max is alot different.
so your buddy can't drive?
a 6 spd can do it in 13.8 or lower...that's not even close to what your auto can do it in. the 6spd will pull plenty. auto vs auto a G will win assuming the driver's arn't a factor.

who is a hater? seems like you are the one all angry.

quality wise a G > a maxima. you've obviously not worked on these cars much. hell just open up the door of a max and a G and compare them.

your badge question is a no brainer. IT'S A LUXURY CAR BRAND! it means something if you are driving a luxury car vs a plain jane 'normal' car. thus why they are called luxury cars. this isn't something amazing you've figured out. it's common sense. two similiar looking cars one with a high end manufacture's logo on it, one with a 'normal' logo on it. more people will pick the one with a 'fancy' logo just because of what other's will think of them while they drive it.

the 5th is alot different then the 6th and 7th gen. in a good way. we still can drive(shift)

the 97-99 and the 02-03 are the best years for a maxima hands down looks and performance wise.

irbored

Last edited by Torgus; 01-24-2009 at 06:07 AM.
Old 01-24-2009, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Torgus
they are jealous and don't want to admit the g35 is a better car for basically the same price as a 6th gen. only thing the max wins in is interior space. otherwise the G wins hands down in every category. but you'll never convince them of this. i'v given up trying. my next car will be a g37 hands down. but i'm going to buy a used truck(snow plowing and haulin) & nice boat 1st!
I agree with you completely, it's seems like some of the people are scared to admit that there is a nicer car out there I come from the Altima community, and I bought my car because it was the best I could afford. If I could have afforded a max, I probably would have gotten one over the alti, and if I was fortunate enough to be able to afford a g, I would have gotten one over the max. As far as styling, looks, and features go it is all a matter of personal opinion. But when people start saying that the g is an overpriced car that is the same as the max and is outperformed by the max, well that's just crazy. The g sedans are fast, there are videos of the g walking on an se-r from 3rd gear on, and I'm sure if you look around enough you will find videos of a g sedan beating the maxipad without breaking a sweat.
Old 01-24-2009, 03:35 PM
Sunglasses required..

a 6 spd can do it in 13.8 or lower...that's not even close to what your auto can do it in. the 6spd will pull plenty. auto vs auto a G will win assuming the driver's arn't a factor.

quality wise a G > a maxima. you've obviously not worked on these cars much. hell just open up the door of a max and a G and compare them.

your badge question is a no brainer. IT'S A LUXURY CAR BRAND! it means something if you are driving a luxury car vs a plain jane 'normal' car. thus why they are called luxury cars. this isn't something amazing you've figured out. it's common sense. two similiar looking cars one with a high end manufacture's logo on it, one with a 'normal' logo on it. more people will pick the one with a 'fancy' logo just because of what other's will think of them while they drive it.

the 5th is alot different then the 6th and 7th gen. in a good way. we still can drive(shift)

the 97-99 and the 02-03 are the best years for a maxima hands down looks and performance wise.

irbored
Yes......the 02-03 are the best, lets see they are 100% made in Japan...All good quality all came with xenon headlights. 04 and up depending on what package you get. The 02-03 se (weight 2,228lbs.........A auto 02-03 max can beat a 04-08. weight makes a differences..255hp vs 265hp. I dont know about the ones that come with the CVT, what kind of run it will give the 02-03. My point is the 04 G35 will take a maxima..........maxima is wrong wheel drive and G is rear wheel drive better traction..Too much wheel spin off the line. Auto vs auto or 6spd vs 6spd on either car. G will be on TOP. They both range the same price over 40k for the top notch model. Why would you buy a maxima for the same price when you can buy a G and get way more for you're buck..more HP, rear wheel drive, luxury car and some......Thats why when I bought my Maxima, I bought a SE @ 27,000 brand new.......because the top of line were going for 32,000 back in the day that was alot of money...now there going for over 40K. I bought my 2007 G35S for 37,000, my G has everything except navi,bluetooth,bose system, and backup camera... And got 2,800 off the MSRP....Nissan only offers that on nissan Altimas and lower models. Thats my employee discount. So lets get real better benefits on a infiniti then a nissan.
Old 01-24-2009, 03:48 PM

couldnt decide so just have both....03 twilight blue g35 sedan and a 06 midnight blue max...lol the G is for the wife of course.once she drove the max there was no going back to anything else...so she got the G. his and hers VQ35
Old 01-24-2009, 04:26 PM

Well there's no surprise there's bias in a maxima forum. Take this thread in the infiniti forum and there will be bias there too. Imo, the 6th max is a disgrace to look at compared to the 5th and 7th gens. For a similar price you get a lot more out of a g sedan. For people paying almost 40 grand for a new fwd nissan is crazy. Let the flaming begin
Old 01-24-2009, 04:30 PM

irbored
Well Said
Old 01-24-2009, 05:12 PM

Old 01-24-2009, 07:52 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by MaxEx
I've often asked myself this question and it came down to looks, but why did you choose your 6th gen. max over the G35 sedan? The G handles better, has rwd..or awd, sounds better...Is there any other reason you chose maxima? Price between the two is pretty much dead on in the used car market as well.

I think that the G-35 coupe is gorgeous, but the Sedan...not so much. I wanted four doors, 6-speed manual, and the Max delivered. The Max had an ugly grill, but a quick switch to an after-market and the car looks great.
Old 01-24-2009, 11:33 PM

Please pay attention. The guy is talking about 04G vs. 04Max auto.

6th gens come with 6sp transmissions... 6.5 gens dont...

LOL.... Spoken like a true 5th gen *****! It all depends on how you look at that statement. Look at a stock 97-99 and 02-03. Compare those to a stock 7th gen. Come on now...???
The 7th gen has the best performance out of all the gens....
But if your talking about modifications... of course the 4th and 5th gens are better. They have been out longer then the 6th & 7th gen so they have had more exposure to rice junkies. back then the Max was in head of its game, going against BMW and Mercedes.

Now a days, the maxima has more competition with other car manufactures when it comes to price vs. performance. For example: g8 vs 07 max. Around the same price range but the g8 will run circles over any stock maxima.
Old 01-25-2009, 07:31 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 2LEET4U
Please pay attention. The guy is talking about 04G vs. 04Max auto.

6th gens come with 6sp transmissions... 6.5 gens dont...

LOL.... Spoken like a true 5th gen *****! It all depends on how you look at that statement. Look at a stock 97-99 and 02-03. Compare those to a stock 7th gen. Come on now...???
The 7th gen has the best performance out of all the gens....
But if your talking about modifications... of course the 4th and 5th gens are better. They have been out longer then the 6th & 7th gen so they have had more exposure to rice junkies. back then the Max was in head of its game, going against BMW and Mercedes.

Now a days, the maxima has more competition with other car manufactures when it comes to price vs. performance. For example: g8 vs 07 max. Around the same price range but the g8 will run circles over any stock maxima.
an 04 G auto beats an 04 auto maxima...prove me wrong.

7th gen does NOT have the best performance of all the gens...PERIOD.
Old 01-25-2009, 09:25 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Exactly. Show me a 6th gen Max auto that does a 14.3@98mph stock like my 03 5AT G sedan sedan did.

Looks are personnel preference so we really can't debate that.

Otherwise:

The G35 stops faster
The G35 pulls more Gs on the skidpad
The G35 has a high slalom speed
The G35 (either tranny) is quicker
The G35 has a far better steering and braking feel
The G35 has a far better sound and becomes amazing with some simple OEM tweaks
The G35 is lighter
The G35 is RWD therefore better weight balance, far better feel, no overworked tires
The G aftermarket is far better

About the only thing the Max has going for it is more room and a smoother ride.

As for snow, a RWD G on decent all season rubber is more than capable in hilly snow covered areas with about 5" or less of snow.
Old 01-25-2009, 09:30 AM

7th gen does NOT have the best performance of all the gens...PERIOD.
It looks like the Big Pete has some video recording to do....

7th gens have more horse, more torque, better handling and better engine than a stock 4th gen and 5th gen. How is that not better performance? Again, i am not talking about adding mods to a car. This is stock vs. stock performance wise!
Old 01-25-2009, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Dave B
Exactly. Show me a 6th gen Max auto that does a 14.3@98mph stock like my 03 5AT G sedan sedan did.
Remember it all depends on the driver and location of the test. My 05 stock maxima did a 14.6. That was done 2 yrs ago in Arizona's winter. Temp outside was in the low 70's...

So again. it would all depend on the driver, tires, outside temp and how well the car has been maintained.

I still would like to see some vids. of a stock G vs. Max

Last edited by 2LEET4U; 01-25-2009 at 09:39 AM.
Old 01-25-2009, 09:38 AM
Banned

[quote=2LEET4U;6832526]
5th Gen VQ35

Manual
Typical Stock: mid-14's
Best Stock: 14.1-14.3 (a bunch)
a mod or two: high-13's

Auto
Typical Stock: high-14's
Best Stock: 14.6-14.7, one 14.4
a mod or two: low-14's (blubyu2k2 has hit high-13's all motor on street tires)

6th Gen

Auto (SE 5AT)
Typical Stock: high-14's (14.7-14.9)
Best Stock: 14.5 (ga2000)
a mod or two:

Last edited by Torgus; 01-25-2009 at 10:13 AM.
Old 01-25-2009, 09:54 AM

nice....

6th Gen

Auto (SE 5AT)
Typical Stock: high-14's (14.7-14.9)
Best Stock: 14.5 (ga2000)
a mod or two:
We need some 6sp times for a 6th gen.

im still waiting for 7th gen owners to post 1/4 times on this forum or youtube. Have you seen Kevin007's 6.5 gen max. All he has is a Cai and full exhaust and he is running 13's.

Last edited by 2LEET4U; 01-25-2009 at 09:58 AM.
Old 01-25-2009, 10:16 AM
Banned

a 7th gen runs 14.5 stock. that's it.

a full exhaust and cai is close to 30whp. thats like saying he runs 13s with a small shot of nos. not trying to take away from his runs mind you. but in this thread we are talking about STOCK numbers. and as i showed the 7th gen fails in comparison to the 5.5 in terms of performance even with an uber tranny and higher outputting motor.

edit: btw i like your wheels. always been a huge fan of them.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:06 AM

nice....

We need some 6sp times for a 6th gen.

im still waiting for 7th gen owners to post 1/4 times on this forum or youtube. Have you seen Kevin007's 6.5 gen max. All he has is a Cai and full exhaust and he is running 13's.

Old 01-25-2009, 11:20 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sickler
what part of: it runs 14.5 stock do you not understand?

6th gen Manual
Typical Stock: not enough data yet to determine this, but I've seen a few 14.5 and 14.6
Best Stock: not enough data yet, but one person ran a 14.4 recently
a mod or two:
Old 01-25-2009, 01:23 PM

well said torgus
Old 01-25-2009, 01:23 PM
Incognito

a full exhaust and cai is close to 30whp. thats like saying he runs 13s with a small shot of nos. not trying to take away from his runs mind you. but in this thread we are talking about STOCK numbers. and as i showed the 7th gen fails in comparison to the 5.5 in terms of performance even with an uber tranny and higher outputting motor.

you do alot of ricer math.

Go find someone with an 04 max and an 04 G and let them run. Ive done it numerous times against by buddys 04g and I ALWAYS pull on him. Unless my Fujita CAI is giving me an amazing advantage over his stock G im gonna have to stick to what I said and say that MY max is quicker then HIS G. Now keep in mind that Im not saying every max is faster then a G or that I raped him on the track, when I say I beat him, I mean by atleast 1-2 car lengths..

Now to clear this up, go back to your 5th gen section and go buy yourself some more pep boys performance parts.

Last edited by BigPete; 01-25-2009 at 01:29 PM.
Old 01-25-2009, 04:10 PM

04 maxima
http://www.modernracer.com/nissanmaxima.html

04 g sedan
http://www.modernracer.com/infinitig35.html

Now I guess I will wait for the responses/excuses as to why these numbers are not right and your maxipad is faster than a g

Last edited by m_turner_02; 01-26-2009 at 03:57 AM. Reason: new link
Old 01-25-2009, 05:34 PM

^ you posted the same links
Old 01-25-2009, 05:48 PM

as for Kevin's 6.5gen, i was trying to provide you with some knowledge in regards to numbers for a moded 6th gen. Since you had an next to a mod or 2. I am not sure if he is running low or mid 13's.

The 5.5 and 6 gen numbers are to cloes to say either is better. I have personally beat a 5.5 gen from a dig. He was on my rear tire & bumper the whole time. That was in my 05 max.

And its still too early to say about the 07 with out run times.
Old 01-26-2009, 03:58 AM

as for Kevin's 6.5gen, i was trying to provide you with some knowledge in regards to numbers for a moded 6th gen. Since you had an next to a mod or 2. I am not sure if he is running low or mid 13's.

The 5.5 and 6 gen numbers are to cloes to say either is better. I have personally beat a 5.5 gen from a dig. He was on my rear tire & bumper the whole time. That was in my 05 max.

And its still too early to say about the 07 with out run times.
iirc kevin ran a 13.9 and was consistently running 14.0-14.1
Old 01-26-2009, 07:23 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

you do alot of ricer math.

Go find someone with an 04 max and an 04 G and let them run. Ive done it numerous times against by buddys 04g and I ALWAYS pull on him. Unless my Fujita CAI is giving me an amazing advantage over his stock G im gonna have to stick to what I said and say that MY max is quicker then HIS G. Now keep in mind that Im not saying every max is faster then a G or that I raped him on the track, when I say I beat him, I mean by atleast 1-2 car lengths.
Street racing is pointless. Take it to the strip and take the reaction time out of the equation. Both cars are close, but the G should edge out the 6th gen.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:28 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Remember it all depends on the driver and location of the test. My 05 stock maxima did a 14.6. That was done 2 yrs ago in Arizona's winter. Temp outside was in the low 70's...

So again. it would all depend on the driver, tires, outside temp and how well the car has been maintained.

I still would like to see some vids. of a stock G vs. Max
All very good points. However, my G wasn't run in stellar density altitude conditions nor was fitted with super grippy tires. The runs were made on mostly worn POS Bridgestone EL42 all season rubber. The strip is in Kansas City and sits at about 1000'. DA conditions for the day of the 14.3@98mph run were near sea level. Two months prior and in warmer air (1800' DA), the car did 14.4s@97mph.

Regardless, my stock G auto's performance isn't out of the ordinary. There are numerous 5AT cars in the 14.2-14.4@96-98mph range. The 6MTs are typically a tenth and 1mph quicker.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:46 AM
Incognito

Street racing is pointless. Take it to the strip and take the reaction time out of the equation. Both cars are close, but the G should edge out the 6th gen.
It was on the track... 1/8th mile
Old 01-26-2009, 09:48 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

It was on the track... 1/8th mile
Cool. Keep the racing off the streets. What's the run down of the slips?
Old 01-26-2009, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by m_turner_02
iirc kevin ran a 13.9 and was consistently running 14.0-14.1
cool thanks...

It does look like 6th gen and 5th gen cars run almost the same times. With the exception of 6th gen 6sp times. But back to the topic. Lets see some vids...

lets pay per view this biatch.... 2004 max vs. 2004 G..... stock vs. stock... winner takes all!
Old 01-26-2009, 06:31 PM
Incognito

Cool. Keep the racing off the streets. What's the run down of the slips?

We ran as a headup (no times), my track lets people run w/o times and since we both didnt care to see horrible 1/8th mile times we just raced.
Old 02-02-2009, 05:24 PM

all of them are good cars!
Old 02-02-2009, 07:01 PM

i was just thinking to myself and i came to a conclusion of ..............
WHY THE HELL are we arguing about a maxima vs g35 ??? or should i also say a 6th gen vs 5th gen
god damit we are all in the same family
i drive a 05 altima and recently bought a 05 maxima
and i will now agree the G35 and the Maxima are good in their own ways and of course infiniti should be higher end than a maxima but does that mean my maxima sucks and doesn't have luxury features NO!
Old 02-03-2009, 11:39 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by alexz
all of them are good cars!
Since I own a ‘04.5 G35 coupe ( http://www.angelfire.com/ky3/gabby/g35.htm ) and a '07 Maxima, I have to get in on this thread. I also have a fair amount of wheel time in a G35x sedan as I get to drive one as a loaner when I take my G35 or Maxima in for service at the Infiniti dealership. (Yes, I have non-warranty maintenance on my Max done by Infiniti too).

I have to pretty much agree with Dave B who wrote:
"The G35 stops faster
The G35 is lighter
The G35 is RWD therefore better weight balance, far better feel, no overworked tires

About the only thing the Max has going for it is more room and a smoother ride."
When I make the 650 mile drive back to N.Y. to see my family, I’ll choose my Maxima over a G35 every time.

As far as which ride is better looking, everyone in entitled to their own opinion, but I think each of them has their own appealing aspects.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:47 AM
Incognito

Originally Posted by DocJohn
Since I own a ‘04.5 G35 coupe ( http://www.angelfire.com/ky3/gabby/g35.htm ) and a '07 Maxima, I have to get in on this thread. I also have a fair amount of wheel time in a G35x sedan as I get to drive one as a loaner when I take my G35 or Maxima in for service at the Infiniti dealership. (Yes, I have non-warranty maintenance on my Max done by Infiniti too).

I have to pretty much agree with Dave B who wrote:
"The G35 stops faster
The G35 is lighter

About the only thing the Max has going for it is more room and a smoother ride."
When I make the 650 mile drive back to N.Y. to see my family, I’ll choose my Maxima over a G35 every time.

As far as which ride is better looking, everyone in entitled to their own opinion, but I think each of them has their own appealing aspects.

and you drive a 07 with a CVT correct?

CVT vs 5AT or 6SPD is no comparison.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:00 PM
Learning English...

Made in USA/Mexico vs Made in Japan = uncomparable
That's my opinion
Old 02-03-2009, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Bjs470
Imo, the 6th max is a disgrace to look at compared to the 5th and 7th gens.
This.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:18 PM
Incognito

Originally Posted by brio_max
Made in USA/Mexico vs Made in Japan = uncomparable
That's my opinion
So your saying Americans and Mexicans cant assemble a car as well as the Japanese?

Let me clear this up for ya.

1. Maximas are assembled in Tennessee.
2. Parts are made/distributed worldwide from the Mexico facility. The Sentra is also assembled in Mexico.
3. Infiniti is made in Japan, but what makes that a good thing. Read this snipet "As both vehicles are primarily sold in North America, it was beneficial for the automaker to produce the vehicles stateside until now. Unfortunately, slow sales of the Quest (down 28 percent so far this year) and QX56 have proven that production here in the U.S. is becoming too costly to justify and, according to the article, the plants in Japan have the ability retool and manufacture at a quicker rate."

So lets see.. Being produced faster in Japan for cheaper makes things much much better.

Quality wise, the cars all share parts. This is nothing more then price in differential.

Economics puts things into perspective. In case anyone is wondering what a price in differential is, basically any difference in the prices charged for the same product to different market segments or in different geographic regions.

So in short, selling the same **** for more money. If you want to argue Infiniti's cost more to produce, Ive already shot you down. So please explain to me why the price is so much higher. Oh right, the Infiniti badge.
Old 02-03-2009, 02:06 PM
Learning English...

So your saying Americans and Mexicans cant assemble a car as well as the Japanese?

Let me clear this up for ya.

1. Maximas are assembled in Tennessee.
2. Parts are made/distributed worldwide from the Mexico facility. The Sentra is also assembled in Mexico.
3. Infiniti is made in Japan, but what makes that a good thing. Read this snipet "As both vehicles are primarily sold in North America, it was beneficial for the automaker to produce the vehicles stateside until now. Unfortunately, slow sales of the Quest (down 28 percent so far this year) and QX56 have proven that production here in the U.S. is becoming too costly to justify and, according to the article, the plants in Japan have the ability retool and manufacture at a quicker rate."

So lets see.. Being produced faster in Japan for cheaper makes things much much better.

Quality wise, the cars all share parts. This is nothing more then price in differential.

Economics puts things into perspective. In case anyone is wondering what a price in differential is, basically any difference in the prices charged for the same product to different market segments or in different geographic regions.

So in short, selling the same **** for more money. If you want to argue Infiniti's cost more to produce, Ive already shot you down. So please explain to me why the price is so much higher. Oh right, the Infiniti badge.
Well, all the info you posted is very nice, but please explain me why the 2004 Nissan Maxima has exactly 100 service bulletins in comparison with the 2003 Infiniti G sedan, which has only 5? Quite a big difference, don't you think so?

Honestly, if i would have to compare both cars in exterior look, i like my A34 way more than the G, but that has nothing to do with the overall quality!

Quick Reply: 6th max vs. G35 sedan