6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

How did you justify buying a 6th Gen?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2005, 10:54 AM

How did you justify buying a 6th Gen?

My g/f and I love the 6th gen. I love that it's a Nissan with the VQ35DE, she loves how large it is. We both love it's interior and exterior styling. Anyways, we're looking to replace her Camry soon and the 6th gen is at the top of the list.

However, anytime we tell a friend this, they think we're stupid and should buy another G35, a TL, etc.

The Maxima definitely is worth its price tag, but most people seem to think it's not comparable to that of the TL, etc.

Also, what about the new Avalon?
Old 10-19-2005, 10:56 AM

well personally, the new avalon has grown on me and i like the looks of it.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:16 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I don't have to justify the purchase to anybody that asks... I usually give them a test drive and it's settled after that...

The new Avalon is nice, but "the nice one" wasn't available when I was looking for the car. It was a choice of this or the TL, and the Max won solely on price. The TL would have been nice with the better sound system and Bluetooth, but it was going to be $6k more than I ended up paying for this car, so it was an easy choice to make.

I'm happy with it though... not sure if I would be as happy today if I went the other way, but there's no point crying over spilt milk...
Old 10-19-2005, 11:30 AM

My justification was more room for less money.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:51 AM
Newbie just Registered

I got similar remarks when I got my first Nissan and since, like it's a disease or something. Buy what you like, not what others like.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:09 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The G35 and TL are better cars no one will argue that...they just cost more $$. I'm guessing for most of us it was a $ thing more than anything else. The Maxima is a good bang for the buck. Plus in my case this is my 3rd Maxima and I'm just in love with the model. I have another car to drive if I want something sporty...the 6th gen for me was just a good car for the money thats what sold me.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:09 PM
RVC

I wanted a 6th gen Maxima from the moment they came out. I love the looks of them and the way they drive. I don't know how many times I found myself at the dealer when I had my 02' Maxima wanting to trade up. So when my lease was up I got the 05' 6 speed and I like it. As for the TL, it's nice but not very roomy. The Maxima is a better performer too, and IMO looks much better. The TL is narrow and thin looking to me and the Maxima has that small back window that sets in and it looks nice and wide and tough.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:13 PM

i wanted a new car and i liked the red one so i bought it.

as for buying the titan, i used the excuse that the max was 9 months old and i needed something newer.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:31 PM

I have owned nothing but Maximas for over twenty years, have always loved them, so had an easy decision.

My son has owned nothing but Hondas/Accuras for 16 years, and his 2003 TL Type "S' was part of the great tranny problem coverup. Ruined his fun of ownership. I have driven his TL, and it is not as roomy as my SL.

The new Avalon is very attractive, but (A) Was not available when I bought my SL, (B) Equipped as I would want, costs thousands more than my SL, and (C) The local Toyota dealership does not have as good a rep as the local Nissan dealership, with whom I have had a wonderful relationship for the last decade.

For what it may be worth, I buy my cars for cash up front, and could have spent more and bought more upscale. But one of the reasons I have money is because I have always tried to buy what I felt was the best car (or any other item) for the money all my life.

I felt the 6th gen Maxima was the best combination of looks, performance, room, service and reliability I could find for my money.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:33 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Style, handling, Bang for the buck... Avalon is a nice car, however wasn't as good as the Max in 03 when I purchased mine and it's still a HONDA...
Old 10-19-2005, 12:46 PM

Max was a good choice for me at the time - great looks & sporty performance at a smart price.

I have had it since April 2003 when they first released them and still love the looks of her. No complaints - I will keep her until I have her paid off and use whatever money I can get out of her to trade up or maybe the next gen max?
Old 10-19-2005, 12:48 PM

Lemme just stay the avalon WAS available when I bought my 05 SE, though its a very nice car dont get me wrong, it doesnt come close to have the sporty spirit that the maxima has, more of your grandfathers cheap luxury car. As for the G35 sedan is not my style car one bit and the coupe is nice but eh, small. And the TL, the TL is a very nice one as well another one of my choices, but I personally like the max better for its performance, torque, how roomy it is. I guess I'm the only one who actually LIKES the max better.

Old 10-19-2005, 01:30 PM
Newbie just Registered

Originally Posted by logik05se
... I guess I'm the only one who actually LIKES the max better.

You ONLY like your???

I drove the Avalon, the Toyota one. It's a big fast boat, Toyota's version of a couch on wheel; and that's the Touring edition.

I drove the TL, felt under power for daily driving. Only pulls hard when rev high. Never like the exterior of the car, reminds me of a Mitsu Galant for some reason. Interior is not driver friendly to me, reminds me of the previous M45 with some buttons' location.

G35 6MT was the other strong choice vs. the Max. I like the Maxima's styling and roominess more.

I drove a bunch from Germany too in the $30's, You need near $50k from something comparable.
Old 10-19-2005, 02:22 PM

[QUOTE=RHMax] You ONLY like your???QUOTE]

LOL you know I thought about that when I was writing it, and I said hrm I actually love the car, but wateva...

Old 10-19-2005, 02:23 PM

I just like the Maxima more. I think it looks better than the G35 (four door). I'd give my left leg for the two door, but it isn't pratical having a 5 yr old and one of those. When he's old enough to ride in the front seat, I'll get a 2 dr G35 or a 350Z. God forbid I'm married again with another little one before that happens.
Old 10-19-2005, 03:22 PM
wsu

rationale

When I was looking I considered a Honda Accord and a Buick LaCrosse. I couldn't bring myself to purchase my dad's car (the Buick). It rode/drove nicely, but I didn't like the body style very much (reminded me of a Taurus) and the interior struck me as "generic". The Accord was OK, but the more solid feel and steadier ride of the Maxima won me over immediately. The Maxima was just way above the Accord (and it cost about $5K more, to be fair). I didn't consider the TL or the G35-they are both more money than I wanted to spend (the Maxima was already beyond what I should have spent), they were not as large as I wanted (I needed to seat three kids in the back), and for professional considerations I would not drive an Acura or an Infiniti because in my situation it could be perceived as excessive or flaunting. The new Avalon was not out when I bought my Maxima in Dec. 2004, but I didn't really consider the previous iteration of the Avalon (for sale in Dec 2004), because I didn't care for the exterior or the interior-it seems "vanilla". The Avalon is a nice car, but it didn't give me a visceral reaction like the Maxima.

I drive quite a bit and wanted something that: 1. rode comfortably 2. would accelerate well (I drive a lot on two lane highways and need to pass vehicles) 3. had ample room 4. included some creature comforts 5. would last a long time. The first four criteria have been matched strongly by the Maxima. The years will tell if the Maxima has longevity. I am encouraged by accounts from other Maxima drivers of positive ownership after several years and many miles.

On a different note, it struck me that you (BrianV who started the thread) are giving considerable weight to your friends' views. While I can appreciate that your friends would want you to make the purchase that they think fits you best, I'm sure you can appreciate that friends can also appreciate the purchase that you think fits you best, and would be supportive of your decision regarding how you spend your money. I think you would like the Maxima, but then your purchase considerations might be significantly different from mine. Good luck in your decision.
Old 10-19-2005, 04:10 PM

I just love it... notin' else!!!
Old 10-19-2005, 04:18 PM
Back from the dead

well my dad said he justified it with the fact that I needed a car, he had a 95 maxima, it still ran perfectly at the time, so i inhereited the 4th gen, he got a 6th because if the 95 lasted 10 years the 05 should too.
Old 10-19-2005, 04:48 PM

Well for me I was actually looking to possibly buy an Altima but had never driven one before so I was at the dealer test driving them and was terribly unimpressed to say the least at almost all aspects of the Altima except for the look of it. To me it drove like a cheaply designed 12k car although it looked nice. I never expected they drove badly but I tried a few of them they had on the lot and they were all the same. I was getting out of the last one I drove and was thanking the salesman for his time when he suggested I might test drive a Maxima. Well I knew the Maxima was alot more $ than I was expecting to spend so I kind of said yeah right I don't want to spend that much. He said well we have a few on the lot that are not too much and Nissan has the 1k rebate going on. This was back in January. I looked over at the wife, she gave me the look of doom for even considering it and then I said ok lets try it. From the second I sat in the car and closed the door, to the starting of the engine and pulling out on the highway I could feel the million % difference between the Altima. I just couldn't get over how much power, refinement and ride quality the car had. I also liked the cool mettalic looking interior and the cool skyview roof. (Yeah I know alot don't but I like it). After the test drive I knew I had to have the Maxima. So we worked on the price off and on for a few days and finally came to a decent agreement and I bought the car. I traded in a brand new Camry which overall was an ok car but not for me. It didn't have the build quality, power or refinement of the Maxima and the Avalon was still the previous body style when I was looking so I never gave it a second thought. The new Avalons are nice but their certainly not sporty and to comparably equip one to even a base Maxima, you would be paying big $ for it. When I looked recently to se what they were all about they were starting at $32k and had no where near the features the Max does. I think it would be safe to assume you would be spending around $34k & up with just a few options. Plus the look is the expected bland Toyota styling. Certainly not sporting or inspiring, although nice for its target market, the Buick buyers. The Avalon is Toyota's buick and for that market I say it is much nicer than its GM couterpart the Lacrosse.

Anyhow as other have said already, what really matters in the end is what you like about a car and whether or not its worth the $ they ask for it to you.
Old 10-19-2005, 05:06 PM

Got the maxima because of the package it comes with. It was a wide body luxary car with some speed and that what i was looking for.
Old 10-19-2005, 05:12 PM

If you can afford a G35, get a Subaru WRX STi. It is a no brainer.
That's a true performance car.
Old 10-19-2005, 05:19 PM
wsu

I was hooked!

Originally Posted by Atomic_Ed
Well for me I was actually looking to possibly buy an Altima but had never driven one before so I was at the dealer test driving them and was terribly unimpressed to say the least at almost all aspects of the Altima except for the look of it. To me it drove like a cheaply designed 12k car although it looked nice. I never expected they drove badly but I tried a few of them they had on the lot and they were all the same. I was getting out of the last one I drove and was thanking the salesman for his time when he suggested I might test drive a Maxima. Well I knew the Maxima was alot more $ than I was expecting to spend so I kind of said yeah right I don't want to spend that much. He said well we have a few on the lot that are not too much and Nissan has the 1k rebate going on. This was back in January. I looked over at the wife, she gave me the look of doom for even considering it and then I said ok lets try it. From the second I sat in the car and closed the door, to the starting of the engine and pulling out on the highway I could feel the million % difference between the Altima. I just couldn't get over how much power, refinement and ride quality the car had. I also liked the cool mettalic looking interior and the cool skyview roof. (Yeah I know alot don't but I like it). After the test drive I knew I had to have the Maxima. So we worked on the price off and on for a few days and finally came to a decent agreement and I bought the car. I traded in a brand new Camry which overall was an ok car but not for me. It didn't have the build quality, power or refinement of the Maxima and the Avalon was still the previous body style when I was looking so I never gave it a second thought. The new Avalons are nice but their certainly not sporty and to comparably equip one to even a base Maxima, you would be paying big $ for it. When I looked recently to se what they were all about they were starting at $32k and had no where near the features the Max does. I think it would be safe to assume you would be spending around $34k & up with just a few options. Plus the look is the expected bland Toyota styling. Certainly not sporting or inspiring, although nice for its target market, the Buick buyers. The Avalon is Toyota's buick and for that market I say it is much nicer than its GM couterpart the Lacrosse.

Anyhow as other have said already, what really matters in the end is what you like about a car and whether or not its worth the $ they ask for it to you.
I had the same experience as you in that once I drove the Maxima, I knew I wanted it ("had to have it"). It was more money than I had planned to spend too, but there was no going back after I drove it. It is so solid and smooth, yet powerful and sporty.
Old 10-19-2005, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by george_rem
If you can afford a G35, get a Subaru WRX STi. It is a no brainer.
That's a true performance car.
I disagree with you on that, a good friend of mine has a G35 and whenever I drive it I am impressed with it. It is a very fast and well made car. For me the one setback is it is a bit too small inside. I went with the Maxima because of the roomy interior over the G35, but it is certainly an impressive car.
Old 10-19-2005, 05:40 PM

Once I saw the Max I had to have it but it was to high for me so I was out to get an Altima. My salesman said "why do you want an Altima when I can sale a Max SL to you for about the same price" I thought he was full of it but the deal came out to be about $500 more than the Altima. So I was sold.

I am back in the market to get another car and I have been pricing the 05 G35, 05 TL, and the 06 Max. I can get a G35 stripped except for the s/r and splash guards for about a grand higher than what I can get another loaded Max SL. I am considering it but I do love some of the features that come with the Max like heated steering wheel, memory seats, Bose, not to mention the gas mileage. The TL is about 1500 or so higher and I am as about as high as I wanna go. Most likely it will be an 06 Max for me. I sure love driving my 04 minus some of the 2004 model problems.
Old 10-19-2005, 05:57 PM
You gon' pay what you owe

For me the choice was pretty simple. I didn't really care for the crease running down the side of the TL. The G35 coupe was too sporty and the sedan wasn't big enough. On top of that, I've been driving Maximas since '98 and they have never let me down so I was a little biased.
Old 10-19-2005, 06:06 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Once bitten

I had a black 4 gen that I really loved, but it was a company car so eventually I had to turn it in. Thought the 5 gen design was a step backwards, and frankly it took a while before I could tell the 6g from a new Altima. But when I drove it there was no question, time to get back in a Maxima. I am as happy (or more so) behind this wheel as I was in my old black 4g - especially passing on the highway. Now I look at the 4 pipes coming out the back end and picture flames coming out . . .
Old 10-19-2005, 07:24 PM
*moderator*

Originally Posted by rays01se
My justification was more room for less money.
I drove the G35 before I went to the Nissan dealer, nice but just a bit too small. Plus I like the fact that I don't see a 6th gen everytime I open my eyes!!
again on the new Avalon, sucks to admit but it does look pretty nice (wouldn't buy one though, just doesn't have the appeal of the Max...)
Old 10-19-2005, 07:28 PM

I agree with the majority of replies here. My dad works for a local Acura dealership, and with him driving an 05 RL, he pushed the TL to me. I think Acura has better Service than Nissan, but the TL is much too small(wheelbase) comparied to the Max. Honda just doesnt make car with options, thats nice the TL has everything, but it does take way too RPM's to make the VTEC work.

As for the Avalon, i liked it(only the Touring) the rest felt like land yachts. the Avalon is volumes larger than the Max and it is very fast. Great stereo(JBL Synthesis) and very competitive pricing. the only problem is that Toyota only makes about 60 Touring models for the entire southeast region. very hard to come by.

I think the Max simply give you the best bang for your buck.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:19 PM

I justified it like this:

I started the car and when the steering wheel lowered into place I drove until I found a nice stretch of road then I pressed my right foot all the way down to the floor and............................................... .......................
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sold!!

Also, the 6 disc Bose, heated seats, DPP, its black, blah, blah, blah, etc, etc, etc, makes it easy to buy one.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:27 PM

Insurance! anything that said honda or toyota cost more, when I checked..(2003) and those cars were just plain boring!
(have not seen the new avalon tho... the one i saw in 2003 looked like any other toyota!!)
Old 10-19-2005, 08:42 PM
Wild for Width

Originally Posted by BadBlackMaxSL
I justified it like this:

I started the car and when the steering wheel lowered into place I drove until I found a nice stretch of road then I pressed my right foot all the way down to the floor and............................................... .......................
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sold!!
I think that's what got me into Maxima's in the 1st place
Old 10-19-2005, 10:43 PM

My brother owned a G35, and man was it a great car. The 4 door is not that great looking. I think the Max wins out in many catagories. To each his own... I am still lovin my MAX.................
Old 10-20-2005, 04:19 AM

The Maxima is my first new car so i put a lot of time into research and decision making. Before the max, I drove a 95 Isuzu Rodeo. I wanted a non suv but not a small sports car. I didn't like the g35 styling and how its smaller. It was a decision between the TL and the Maxima. The TL was nice but when sitting the Maxima it just felt right. The engine feel is so smooth with so much power. The quality of interior materials seemed better in the TL but the I still like the Maxima interior more. The exterior styling of the maxima won hands down. The new avalon wasn't available but I do like the new one. However, I would not get it over a maxima. It just doesn't have the atheletic stance that the Maxima has.

The difference in price wasn't an issue. My friends told me the same thing too, to either get a TL or the G35. In my case, I felt like getting a TL would be giving in to the image thing of driving a luxury car. Go with what you like better. At the end of the day, you and your gf are the ones who are driving it...not your friends.

...also, take a look at the maxima again and tell me you can say "no" to it.
Old 10-20-2005, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by Atomic_Ed
I disagree with you on that, a good friend of mine has a G35 and whenever I drive it I am impressed with it. It is a very fast and well made car. For me the one setback is it is a bit too small inside. I went with the Maxima because of the roomy interior over the G35, but it is certainly an impressive car.
No doubt the G35 is very fast and well made. However, the STI
is in a different class--it is a true rally (sports) car.
Old 10-20-2005, 08:12 AM

come on guys dont compare nissan to a honda's . I think there no way near our cotegory, and as far as toyota they dont make them like they used to . Plus the avalon is just a big camry
Old 10-20-2005, 10:57 AM
MDS

It came down to value and price for me. I had considered a TL 6MT and a G35 Sedan 6MT. The rear drive G35 handled much better, (very similar to a 350Z), but its back seat was too small. Also, the center part of the rear seat in the G35 felt like plywood, very uncomfortable. I use the rear center seat regularly for the kid’s carpools. The rear drive/ snow problems also steered me away from the G35.

In fairness, I thought the TL was a better car than the Maxima (sorry). It had less low end torque but a nicer interior. I battled the thought of paying $34,500 for a TL or $33,000 for a similarly loaded SE. For $1,500 more, I might have bought the TL. However, I found a base model SE 6MT from a dealer willing to sell it at dead-dealer cost minus the $1,500 rebate. I got into mine for $24,800. That made my decision easy. For $25,000, I can’t think of a sportier, reliable, large, 6MT car on the market today. In this price range, the Maxima dominates the market.
Old 10-20-2005, 01:10 PM

Good answers. You all say it was a lot cheaper than the TL? Isn't sticker on a loaded SL like $37k?
Old 10-20-2005, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by logik05se
Lemme just stay the avalon WAS available when I bought my 05 SE, though its a very nice car dont get me wrong, it doesnt come close to have the sporty spirit that the maxima has, more of your grandfathers cheap luxury car. As for the G35 sedan is not my style car one bit and the coupe is nice but eh, small. And the TL, the TL is a very nice one as well another one of my choices, but I personally like the max better for its performance, torque, how roomy it is. I guess I'm the only one who actually LIKES the max better.

KUDOS
Old 10-20-2005, 11:34 PM
Newbie just Registered

Originally Posted by BrianV
Good answers. You all say it was a lot cheaper than the TL? Isn't sticker on a loaded SL like $37k?
Starting price of Max is less. TL has no bare bone model to build up from.
Old 10-21-2005, 03:05 AM
KC's FINEST

I still havent....

Quick Reply: How did you justify buying a 6th Gen?