6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

How did you justify buying a 6th Gen?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2005, 09:51 AM

Get the SE. Where in the world can you get a 5 speed shiftronic, 265hp, HID light monster?? Strange that the SE has 18" wheels, a better tranny and suspension, and is less expensive than the SL. If you care for wood trim, get a Lexus. If not, get a MAX....
Old 10-21-2005, 12:50 PM

Wakkus - minor detail: The SLs built since Feb 6 2004 have EXACTLY the same 5 speed tiptronic tranny as the SE.

Also, the SL has exactly the same 265 HP as the SE.

And as to the SE suspension being 'better than the SL', that is strictly a preference thing. I could be wrong, but I am of the opinion folks are having more troubles with the SE suspension than the SL. I think the stiffer SE suspension may be putting more stress on underpinning parts, most of which are the same on the SE and SL. Anyway, many folks prefer a slightly less-firm ride, especially in areas where the roads are bad.

As to the HIDs, they are STANDARD on EVERY SL, but, in order to have then on ANY SE, an expensive option package is required.

As for the 18" wheels, they look sharp, but I find that, quality for quality, 18" tires are usually more expensive than 17" tires, and don't last quite as long. Again, considering the condition of roads in most areas, the 17" 55 profile tires of the SL are more practical for everyday driving than the 18" 45 profile tires of the SE.

I like the 'wood' grain in the SL. I also like the metallic SE trim. Strictly a preference situation.

Unless one habitually drives curvy roads at high speed, the only way the SE is superior to the SL is in panache and image. If panache and image are very important to a person, opting for the SE is mandatory. I was an 'SE person' until I reached my seventies, whereupon I decided to be a little more practical.

SE vs SL is purely preference. Can't go wrong with either.
Old 10-23-2005, 05:26 AM

I needed to replace my Benz (which I've always mentioned) that was starting to give me problems at 60,000 miles. I needed something for the winter, and also something with more room. This is my third max, and to me this is the only Japanese car with some soul. It may not be as reliable as the Toyota, or handle as good as an Acura, but the Max always looks fast and gangsta, if that makes sense.
Old 10-28-2005, 04:32 AM

yup priceeeeeee, TL and maxima choice for me. Im going with another max because the TL was just a little to much and I am as HIGH in price as I can go with the max. but max is a defintely a nice car, speed, luxury and looks. cant go wronggggggg
Old 10-28-2005, 07:38 AM

Well, I had the '02 GLE and when I saw the body change, I had to have it. I love erything about my SL. Could have a lil more TQ, but other than that....****!
Old 10-28-2005, 04:31 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Well, i jumped in just for a test drive at a used car place, and BAM, DONE!!! I was really impressed in the POWER in this bad baby/// Even my wife loves it, and pleasing her, is like pulling a steak away from a desperate and starving Lioness with cubs. Damn Woman....
Old 10-31-2005, 01:28 AM

I don't see why you have to justify your choice of vehicle to anyone but yourself. Are your friends going to disown you because you didn't choose their idea of a proper car?

As far as my own buying process, my wife and I had been looking for our next car for a while. While we have been happy with our 2000 Chevrolet Impala LS, we wanted to move up a step or two in luxury and equipment as well as have a different, more refined driving experience. The cars that we considered included the 2005-2006 Toyota Avalon Limited, 2006 Volkswagon Passat, 2005-2006 Nissan Maxima, 2005 Infiniti G35x, and 2006 Infiniti M35x. I was originally set on a new Avalon, but after driving one I found the ride to be a bit too bouyant and the steering wheel tilt and telescope controls akward and inconvenient, otherwise we really liked the car. The Passat was hampered by lack of a V6 and interior amenities. The G35x was certainly a fun little car to drive, but unfortunately, there is too much emphasis on "little" for us, it's just too small for our family. The M35x, what can I say, it was simply awesome and my favorite of the bunch. Unfortunately, with an MSRP of $46,000 as we would want it equipped it was also by far the most expensive and we decided that we simply couldn't justify the added cost at this time. But when we are due for our next car, watch out. Which leaves us with the Maxima. It simply seems to fit our family just right. Not too big, not too little, and a LOT of car for the money. The 3.5 liter V6 engine is simply sweet. We got a good deal on one of the last new 2005's in our area and are looking forward to enjoying the car. I've pretty much been a GM man for the last 20 years so I hope my first forray into the Nissan stable proves to be a pleasant one.
Old 10-31-2005, 02:49 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by RHMax
You ONLY like your???

I drove the Avalon, the Toyota one. It's a big fast boat, Toyota's version of a couch on wheel; and that's the Touring edition.

I drove the TL, felt under power for daily driving. Only pulls hard when rev high. Never like the exterior of the car, reminds me of a Mitsu Galant for some reason. Interior is not driver friendly to me, reminds me of the previous M45 with some buttons' location.

G35 6MT was the other strong choice vs. the Max. I like the Maxima's styling and roominess more.

I drove a bunch from Germany too in the $30's, You need near $50k from something comparable.
I totally agree with you......
Old 10-31-2005, 04:07 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I searched for over 2 months for a car even though I was trading in a 96GLE I wasn't dead set on another Maxima. I drove Acura's, Honda's, Toyota's, Infiniti's, Lexus, and a slew of american sedans. I even drove a Murano, but when I drove my new 05 SE I knew it was the one I wanted. All the dealer did was give me a fantastic price and an excellent trade in value and it was a done deal.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by BrianV
My g/f and I love the 6th gen. I love that it's a Nissan with the VQ35DE, she loves how large it is. We both love it's interior and exterior styling. Anyways, we're looking to replace her Camry soon and the 6th gen is at the top of the list.

However, anytime we tell a friend this, they think we're stupid and should buy another G35, a TL, etc.

The Maxima definitely is worth its price tag, but most people seem to think it's not comparable to that of the TL, etc.

Also, what about the new Avalon?
im actually looking for justification, does the sixth gen REQUIRE premium gas, or can it run on 87 without pinging? yes i already know the VQ gets more power with more octane, but if it takes cheap gas than dammit ill buy one today
Old 10-31-2005, 10:51 PM

The fuel requirement was also a concern of mine. However, the owners manual states that the Maxima requires gasoline with a minimum octane rating of 87 and that performance will be increased with higher octane fuel.
Old 10-31-2005, 11:16 PM
Newbie just Registered

Originally Posted by xamxes
im actually looking for justification, does the sixth gen REQUIRE premium gas, or can it run on 87 without pinging? yes i already know the VQ gets more power with more octane, but if it takes cheap gas than dammit ill buy one today
A few people here use 87 in their 6th gens. It depends on how you drive, I think the car just won't be as smooth or responsive.
Old 11-01-2005, 03:11 AM
2004 Smoke

I justified it by:

1. Value for money - I have a loaded SE (every single option except Navi), and I could not find a similar equiped, and HP/torque stuffed car for what I paid. Nissan prices their vehicles very competively, in each class (save the NSX). The G35 was a quite a bit more money, for not many more features, and less room. TL was overpriced. I test drove in the new M the other day - more room, very comfortable, very fast, but unfortunately a lot more money.

2. Room - Everyone knows the Max is legendary for comfort. I found the G35 a bit claustrophobic. I feel a bit guilty only having myself in my Max 95% of the time - but what the heck, it is very comfortable.

I really wanted to justify buying a Burnt Orange exterior, and burnt orange 4 seater leather interior (I think this combo will become a very valuable classic some day), but could not justify it over an easier-to-hide-the-dirt Smoke, with five seats for the rare full car of people. Still wish I would have overcome my own objections in this area!