5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.
View Poll Results: Which Y-Pipe is the best for the 5th Gen?
Stillen
10.26%
Cattman
69.23%
Warpspeed
17.95%
Other -- Please post name if you choose other!
2.56%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Sooo What is The BEST Y-Pipe for the 5-th Gen....Ive heard of these brands only....

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2002, 11:45 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Sooo What is The BEST Y-Pipe for the 5-th Gen....Ive heard of these brands only....

Stillen, Warspeed, Cattman (I heard these have a problem w/ leaking)
Old 04-02-2002, 04:59 PM

so far the results are 6 cattman & 2 warpspeed...what is the website to warpspeed? Thanks in advance
Old 04-02-2002, 05:34 PM

Originally posted by K Pazzo 6
so far the results are 6 cattman & 2 warpspeed...what is the website to warpspeed? Thanks in advance
http://warpspeedperformance.com/

Keep in mind that Cattman is the only company that uses stainless steel in the construction of their Y-pipe. (Somebody correct me if I'm wrong about that.) Stillen and Warpspeed use aluminized steel. Aluminized steel is not as resistant to rust and corrosion as stainless steel. That may be an issue for you given that you live in Illinois, K Pazzo 6.
Old 04-02-2002, 06:27 PM

warpspeed...they have 3 different options for y-pipes...sumbody wanna help out on differences?

1) $299.00 for T304 Stainless Steel TIG welded
2) $275 for T304 Stainless Steel MIG welded
3) Mandrel bent aluminized steel just $225! [4 year no rust through warranty]

and im looking for it, but how big is the y-pipe...3"?
also, im guessing Option 1) would be the best choice, is it worth saving $100 and going w/ warpspeed, or should i spend the xtra 100 and go w/ cattman
atw
Old 04-02-2002, 09:27 PM

warpspeed's aren't ready yet, give em another 2 weeks/months
Old 04-02-2002, 09:28 PM

Originally posted by Burton069
i wont be ordering till mid-may anyway, but i just want to decide what im gonna get
atw
Old 04-02-2002, 09:53 PM

Originally posted by Burton069

Thanks for the info on the Warpspeed Y-pipes, MaxedOut2g. Warpspeed's prices are very good if their pipes are of good quality.
Old 04-03-2002, 02:57 AM

Thanks for the info so far....
Old 09-22-2003, 04:19 PM

what about budget, theres are 180 and are stainless i believe, i've heard they are just as good as the rest
Old 09-22-2003, 04:41 PM
Blu
the tits

I have the warpspeed pipe on my 02 and its been through lots of rain and a few days of snow and still looks like it did the day I bought it. The welds have changed color but thats normal.
Old 09-22-2003, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by y2kse
http://warpspeedperformance.com/

Keep in mind that Cattman is the only company that uses stainless steel in the construction of their Y-pipe. (Somebody correct me if I'm wrong about that.) Stillen and Warpspeed use aluminized steel. Aluminized steel is not as resistant to rust and corrosion as stainless steel. That may be an issue for you given that you live in Illinois, K Pazzo 6.
I got stillens and they stainless steel. friend of mine got cattman's and he told me he had leaking problems.....
Old 09-22-2003, 05:02 PM
Pele ain't got nothing on me

I votes for other (Budget). Their relatively new pipe (about 1.5 years ago) is all stainless steel and it's $160 - $180 depending on the $US<->$CA exchange rate.
Old 09-22-2003, 05:23 PM
JET Speed Lab

i have a stillen ypipe
Old 09-22-2003, 05:25 PM
Got Bent?

Originally Posted by ToYLeT902
i have a stillen ypipe
cookie?

Old 09-22-2003, 05:28 PM
JET Speed Lab

Originally Posted by UMD_MaxSE
cookie?

MmMmMMmMm

Old 09-22-2003, 05:29 PM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

Stillen is Stainless.
Old 09-25-2003, 08:49 PM

I've heard that the Cattman gen 2 Y-Pipe has a better flex section so it wont leak.
Old 09-25-2003, 08:55 PM

damn i started this thread over year ago
Old 09-25-2003, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by K Pazzo 6

damn i started this thread over year ago
wow, I didn't even notice lol
Old 09-26-2003, 07:16 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I think wade2ksleeper need to get that title under his name removed now, obviously he's doing his research by bringing threads from a year back to life.
Old 09-26-2003, 08:59 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

When I had a 93, I got a Cattman Y for it and that was in the early Y pipe stages. I got it used from someone who had already pre-dented the pipe so that it fit without banging all the time. It also had a nasty case of bees in a can noise with it.

I just got a 2K GLE about 2 months ago and it still is stock. The first thing I wanted to do was get a Y pipe but after hearing some peoples comments on here, I dont know if the quality of them has gone up at all. I still here lots of problems with peoples pipes banging or leaking and it sounds like there are noise issues as well.

Is this really the case or is there actually one that fits now?
Old 09-26-2003, 09:00 AM

I had a WSP Y-pipe, very nice!!!!
Old 09-26-2003, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Cutlr7
I had a WSP Y-pipe, very nice!!!!
and i was going to buy it until i found out my car was cali spec
Old 10-25-2003, 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by blubyu2k2
I have the warpspeed pipe on my 02 and its been through lots of rain and a few days of snow and still looks like it did the day I bought it. The welds have changed color but thats normal.
Same here... I have SS warpspeed and im happy! snow already man? 3 days ago we had snow but no stick on the ground! crazy weather... we have only october 25th...
Old 10-25-2003, 10:43 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

if the case is the same on 5th gens as 4th gens, as it should be.........

Warpspeed claims to be the only manufacturer that makes LINED flex sections as opposed to the other ones.. whatever they are called.. the other flex sections that you see on most pipes are prone to leaks and account for that stupid droning noise... this is all according to warpspeed.

In such a case, i think a Warpspeed gives you something different and something that is worth the $.

And the SS or aluminized thing doesn't bother me because i don't plan on keeping the car 4 years and if i do, oh well.. it may rust but it'll still be fully functional.
Old 10-25-2003, 11:41 PM
92 SE-R 02 SE

Originally Posted by NYCe MaXiMa
if the case is the same on 5th gens as 4th gens, as it should be.........

Warpspeed claims to be the only manufacturer that makes LINED flex sections as opposed to the other ones.. whatever they are called.. the other flex sections that you see on most pipes are prone to leaks and account for that stupid droning noise... this is all according to warpspeed.

In such a case, i think a Warpspeed gives you something different and something that is worth the $.

And the SS or aluminized thing doesn't bother me because i don't plan on keeping the car 4 years and if i do, oh well.. it may rust but it'll still be fully functional.

have you seen the thread of that shows the cattman y and the warpspeed y? the cattman is cleary a better a y and thats why i got it! Just look at the pics!

Old 10-26-2003, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by K Pazzo 6
Stillen, Warspeed, Cattman (I heard these have a problem w/ leaking)
It's been almost 2 years since I have install the Cattman Y ans FSTB, no problem whatsoever only more power and better handling. I choose Cattman, because they offer better quality products and also because Brian answered my e-mail and gave me answer. The design and craftmanship of Cattman is difficult to beat. Stillen seem to have good quality productd too, but more expensive, I was never able to speak with Mr Stillen himself, I guess he's too busy...

Cheers

AA
Old 10-26-2003, 10:20 AM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Originally Posted by doublea
It's been almost 2 years since I have install the Cattman Y ans FSTB, no problem whatsoever only more power and better handling. I choose Cattman, because they offer better quality products and also because Brian answered my e-mail and gave me answer. The design and craftmanship of Cattman is difficult to beat. Stillen seem to have good quality productd too, but more expensive, I was never able to speak with Mr Stillen himself, I guess he's too busy...

Cheers

AA

His name is Steve Millen, IIRC...
Old 10-26-2003, 10:56 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by Woo Cho
I got stillens and they stainless steel. friend of mine got cattman's and he told me he had leaking problems.....
We have never had a single leakage problem with the pipe design we sell (and have been selling for the past two years). In fact, we don't have issues with these Y-pipes, period.

Better to keep heresay to yourself unless you have direct knowledge of it.

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance
Old 10-29-2003, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Cattman
We have never had a single leakage problem with the pipe design we sell (and have been selling for the past two years). In fact, we don't have issues with these Y-pipes, period.

Better to keep heresay to yourself unless you have direct knowledge of it.

Brian C Catts
Cattman Performance
No such thing, if any1 has ever had a leak with their Y-pipe there is very little chance it was due to a defect in design, Especially if its from Cattman, yet alone stillen. The only time a leak ever occurs is during a install error. Were the exhaust manfolds meet the y-pipe there sits a gasket that might pop out during the last part of the install. If it does then you will have a lean regardless of what brand you have. I had that problem back in the day and saw the gasket that just slipped. I dont have any bees in the can sound that every1 was exaggerating about it. Just like when every1 exaggerated with the whole flex section problem back in the day. Yes there was a few occasions but every1 did overreact. btw-yea I do know this is an old thread
Old 11-10-2003, 03:01 PM
92 SE-R 02 SE

Old 11-27-2006, 02:32 PM

So I dug up an 'old horse'... I know how you non-newbies don't like post-******.

Anyway, so how are the y-pipes holding up?

The reason I ask is, I am, 'today', ready to buy one. I've been on this org. since 01' but not daily. My rear cat. is throwing codes and at 101K miles I figure I'll replace it with a high flow - seeing as I'm doing that I might as while put in a y-pipe. I'm "assuming" it will have to be stainless steel because I live in MN. Brain Catts has answered a few questions about gains last April but I want to know what you think. Here are my bullet points and I hope you all can answer these.

1) Are there fitment issues with the y's or do they bolt right on? Which ones gave you the problems and were they resolved?

2) Eliminating the pre-cats, even though there are bungs for the 02's, will my SES light be on all the time because of no pre-cats?

3) Those with Warpspeed aluminized y's - has your's rusted through, shown signs of rust, and how long have you had them?

Anything else you guys could add to help my purchase would be fantastic. Keep in mind I wanna keep the sound level down because I use my max for long monthly business trips so a y and rear cat. will be my only purchase.

Thanks everyone.

Ollie
Old 11-27-2006, 04:41 PM

Since your cars an 01 your probably cali spec so if your rear cat is "throwing codes" just get an 02 simulator. Alot cheaper since there are 4 o2 sensors on the cali spec only 2 do the actual tuneing the other 2 are just monitoring sensors.
Old 11-28-2006, 06:47 AM

Cars running a little rough to...but it could be the MAF sensor. I had an 88 firebird, way back when, and when the cat went bad the car started running rough and then lost power.

Anyway, I think it's a perfect opportunity to put a new 'y' on, I'm just looking for a little more info. from you all before my final decision.
Old 11-29-2006, 04:36 PM

Full cattman on an 01 and i wouldn't trade it for anything, GO CATTMAN!!!
Old 11-29-2006, 06:39 PM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

Originally Posted by Ollie
So I dug up an 'old horse'... I know how you non-newbies don't like post-******.

Anyway, so how are the y-pipes holding up?

The reason I ask is, I am, 'today', ready to buy one. I've been on this org. since 01' but not daily. My rear cat. is throwing codes and at 101K miles I figure I'll replace it with a high flow - seeing as I'm doing that I might as while put in a y-pipe. I'm "assuming" it will have to be stainless steel because I live in MN. Brain Catts has answered a few questions about gains last April but I want to know what you think. Here are my bullet points and I hope you all can answer these.

1) Are there fitment issues with the y's or do they bolt right on? Which ones gave you the problems and were they resolved?

2) Eliminating the pre-cats, even though there are bungs for the 02's, will my SES light be on all the time because of no pre-cats?

3) Those with Warpspeed aluminized y's - has your's rusted through, shown signs of rust, and how long have you had them?

Anything else you guys could add to help my purchase would be fantastic. Keep in mind I wanna keep the sound level down because I use my max for long monthly business trips so a y and rear cat. will be my only purchase.

Thanks everyone.

Ollie
1. my cattman y pipe went on no problems on my old 2k1 AE. i had to remove black cross bar under car because of rubbing from the y pipe hanging lower. no side effects from removing bar. put two years of use on it then sold it after buying headers. im pretty sure the y pipe is still being used no issues 2 more years later.
2. your 2k1 is a cali spec and will only remove 1 precat. headers would remove both. cel will not come unless some fubars the o2 sensors during install.
3. no clue
what codes exactly are you getting that indicate the main cat is bad?
Old 11-30-2006, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by sloppymax
1. my cattman y pipe went on no problems on my old 2k1 AE. i had to remove black cross bar under car because of rubbing from the y pipe hanging lower. no side effects from removing bar. put two years of use on it then sold it after buying headers. im pretty sure the y pipe is still being used no issues 2 more years later.
2. your 2k1 is a cali spec and will only remove 1 precat. headers would remove both. cel will not come unless some fubars the o2 sensors during install.
3. no clue
what codes exactly are you getting that indicate the main cat is bad?
Thanks for the info. I ended up going with the Warpspeed. Dallas was a great help in addressing an issue I'm having and he's got a 4 year warranty - which I don't think I'll have the max for another 4 years.

Anyway - I'm pulling the infamous P0420 code....but....my cars acting up....so I decided to replace the front side pre-cat, all the O2's, new Y-pipe and a new MAF.....Hopefully that'll fix my problem and put a big smile on my face after the install.
Old 11-30-2006, 01:50 PM

If your cat is giving you problems you can always hollow it out when you are putting on your y-pipe. Another 2 bolts to remove it and a few minutes with a crow bar and hammer. I just put on a Warpspeed and I'm the 3rd owner that I know of. It's held up pretty well and just to make sure it continues to, I threw on some high temp header paint.
Old 11-30-2006, 02:12 PM

It's the front pre-cat that's bad just of the manifold. I got a high flow rear cat as well from Warpspeed - but that stupid front pre-cat and 02 sensor, tripping the light, and jerking the car around sucks azz. I'm replacing it all! - so far I'm up to $896.71
Old 12-11-2006, 10:53 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

Originally Posted by Ollie
It's the front pre-cat that's bad just of the manifold. I got a high flow rear cat as well from Warpspeed - but that stupid front pre-cat and 02 sensor, tripping the light, and jerking the car around sucks azz. I'm replacing it all! - so far I'm up to $896.71

Cattman y-pipe on sale for $309
Cattman FastCat on sale for $219
O2 simulator for $28
Problems solved and power gained for a total of $556

Feeling you get from knowing you have the best exhaust performance and stainless steel quality available and still saved $340 - Priceless!

BCC

Quick Reply: Sooo What is The BEST Y-Pipe for the 5-th Gen....Ive heard of these brands only....