5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Any OG 5th-genners still around here?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2020, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Prophecy99
nice to here dude !! does it feel old after the q50 ?
It does but in a different sense. I have the 2.0T currently on a lease to go back next month. I wanted to eliminate a car payment from the leasing conundrum and found this beauty for $4600 from a private seller. The technology leaves much to desire, but I immediately installed a Pioneer head unit with backup cam and bluetooth; in all honesty, I wanted a car with as little gadgets to go wrong since I would like to maximize economy over luxury for now. Aside from those features, I use Waze anyway for navigation even though the GS had it and Q has it. The Bose speakers for their time are tremendously adequate, and the sound quality can be improved through some insulation and tightening of the trunk area (spring/summer time project) since I'm currently using the stock Bose speakers, and have a JL mono D-class amp powering a 10" Kicker L7 in the trunk. Pound for the pound the Q's stock Bose "performance series" speakers seem to outshine the Maxima, but I strongly feel insulation and getting a rubber trunk mat would improve the bass hit -- along with tweaking from the head unit since that's driving the interiors. I barely drive it since I'm putting miles on the Q due to being way under on the lease allowance, and why not? LOL not keeping the thing, and paying for it. Might as well put it to work.

Recalling the ride harshness of the SE anniversary edition I had, the GLE feels like a completely different car. Plus, the 3.5L is buttery smooth with acceleration and probably could outpace the Q (the 2.0 is pretty quick). However, the build quality of the A33 being the last Maxima iteration made in Japan clearly shows. The leather interior has held up through time and no rust or any visibility of it anywhere on the body. The turning radius leaves MUCH to be desired, but surprisingly gets me a full U-turn on streets the Q - for whatever reason - has a limited turning radius by comparison. Driving the Maxima actually makes me want to drive, and look forward to the experience when behind the wheel of it. It's been the only car I've owned/leased that had this effect for me. You can boulevard cruise or hoon it and it delivers on each front, happily.

In terms of handling and ride quality, the Q wins hands down, but I'm sure some aftermarket components could bring the Max up to par which I intend to do sometime down the line -- hopefully sooner rather than later. Currently saving to buy a home and want one with a driveway/garage/car port so the Maxima can remain babied. I've always wanted to modify at least one car in my life and think this will be a (hopefully the first of many) canvas to create from.

This is my personal opinion, but a well modified 5.5gen will ALWAYS catch my attention and evoke an emotion that modified Q's simply don't do for me. Maybe because the body lines appear so elegant compared to the aggressive body of the Q. Still a beautiful car though, but not my cup of tea to want to "go the distance with" (I'd rather a G35/37 if I decide to go upmarket again).

Are you considering a Q, or have one?

Old 02-14-2020, 11:12 AM

yes definitely have had my eye on the Q for a while, it seemed like a natural progression from the 5th gen in a general sense ( nissan sporty 4 door w luxury). I appreciate all your thoughts on the matter and your experience with both, especially with the re-connecting with your new 5.5 gen. it was nice to hear your view point.

im having trouble accepting the reality of mine being on the back 9 of its life im at 263k , still going strong though. i have been watching for low mile 5th gens though and seems like a no brainer to grab a good condition one at the prices they can be had for. similar to your situation and the mint one you found etc.

good luck with the new one ! bring on the mod questions ! i love chassis bracing i did on my 5.5 gen . i have 3 under body bars right now. it handles great for the boat that it was.

Old 02-14-2020, 11:14 AM

im actually going to the philly auto show tomorrow to scope out everything under the sun.
Old 02-14-2020, 12:15 PM

yes definitely have had my eye on the Q for a while, it seemed like a natural progression from the 5th gen in a general sense ( nissan sporty 4 door w luxury). I appreciate all your thoughts on the matter and your experience with both, especially with the re-connecting with your new 5.5 gen. it was nice to hear your view point.

im having trouble accepting the reality of mine being on the back 9 of its life im at 263k , still going strong though. i have been watching for low mile 5th gens though and seems like a no brainer to grab a good condition one at the prices they can be had for. similar to your situation and the mint one you found etc.

good luck with the new one ! bring on the mod questions ! i love chassis bracing i did on my 5.5 gen . i have 3 under body bars right now. it handles great for the boat that it was.
Yes, I recall you and I believe User1 giving me feedback on another thread I created to stiffen the GLE suspension a bit and improve the handling -- and I appreciate the welcoming of questions! Honestly, The Q IS a natural progression from the 5th gen Maxima. Upon first getting into it, I felt like it was a more technologically updated, and a bit smaller 5th gen Maxima with it's dimensions and speed since its a 2.0T; the 3.0's are different animals and I'm sure a major blast to drive.
Happy hunting at the Philly auto show! If you have any questions about the Q that you'd like to know from a personal experience feel free to send questions my way as well!
Old 02-14-2020, 04:22 PM

Been on the hunt for a 02-03 6-speed with relatively low miles and minimal rust for a while now, cant wait to finally score one and get back in the Maxima game. It wont be my daily, i plan on just babying it and making it last once i find one. One day...
Old 02-14-2020, 07:42 PM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by y0ey
Been on the hunt for a 02-03 6-speed with relatively low miles and minimal rust for a while now, cant wait to finally score one and get back in the Maxima game. It wont be my daily, i plan on just babying it and making it last once i find one. One day...
Troll facebook market down south.
Old 02-15-2020, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn
Troll facebook market down south.
Oh believe me i have been, everyday haha.. like a hawk. I went to VA to see a couple but neither panned out. Im in no rush, the right one will come along eventually!
Old 04-05-2020, 06:30 AM

One of the remaining original members and the 2000 SE is still in use with almost 148K miles on it. Midwest winters have not been kind even with the past two off of the road. I still smile every time I drive it. My wife still enjoys the car too but does not like the poly suspension bushings and engine mounts I have installed on it.
Old 04-06-2020, 02:53 PM

I'm still running my 2003 Titanium edition 5.5th Gen....230K & solid as a rock still...Still garage kept and still cruising those Texas/Louisiana freeways with ease....Still modded and Stealthy quiet for a car with an entire Cattman Headers/ 3" exhaust system setup and much more...

Last edited by CMax03; 04-06-2020 at 02:57 PM.
Old 04-07-2020, 12:36 PM

super reliable cars for sure.
still daily driving mine. engine itself has perfect leak down which is surprising i'd
expect it to need new valve seals or a headgasket by now.

the biggest things i've done was a water pump, alternater and starter.
idle control valve, cv join, shocks, the shift solenoids are giving me trouble sometimes but not a big deal and are still available on rockauto.

other then that just replaced most the seals and still rocking strong.

Last edited by Donkeypunch; 04-07-2020 at 12:41 PM.
Old 06-17-2020, 10:49 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Still driving my 2001 SE Brand new off the lot 19 years ago. Only 109 000 kms. Oil changed 3 times a year. replaced brakes once and rotors once. New struts. Still love driving it. Runs great Just added LED headlights and Fog lights that switch from 6000k to 3000k, simply by turning off and on within 3 secs. I did the fog light rewire last week, so now my fogs come on with car start and turn off when car off. (tied the power relay from fog light into the power relay for air con) Great forum
Old 06-18-2020, 08:36 AM

Still here, still have my 01 with 78k miles the odo haven’t been driven in three years since been in garage been driving my Benz as my daily car trying to start driving my max but had a few project need to completed since I was doing suspension refresh but kept putting off
Old 06-19-2020, 05:33 AM

Hey. I am still driving my 01 with 206,XXX miles. It has been a great car. In the past two years I have needed a new radiator, alternator and starter but for a car of this age and mileage I did not consider that an issue. If I found a low mileage one that was taken care of I would love to have another one.
Old 06-19-2020, 06:47 PM

I'm not really a fif genner....
Old 06-22-2020, 07:32 AM

oh yeah 2001 was the Renault buyout! build quality whent down, my friend is car nut and of all the nissans and infinities hes tried in years since the interior just feels kind of .....cheap. i figure for the cost i could build out a maxima vs a new car but, boy-o do i need a body man being in the mid west rust belt, she has the cancer.

EDIT: i replace all parts with upgrade parts. i have an all aluminum rad, with silicone hoses, KYB struts with, not so lowered, H&R lowering springs, can't say i'll buy from them ever again. Energy suspension bits here and there. slotted and drilled rotors, akebono pads, DOT 5.1 fluid, good winter tires. just needs a new wiring harness and restoration and new interior.

EDIT: it's an 01 with a DEK engine and it was made japan.

Last edited by cdoublejj; 06-22-2020 at 07:36 AM.
Old 06-23-2020, 12:06 PM

I'm still here along with my 2k2. She has 230,000kms (143K miles) and she's only seen summer since the late 2000's. I daily her to work which is 1 hour from home and she's never let me down. Besides Nismo 370Z wheels, new tint and a new sub/amp combo, I haven't done much to her.

I also bought a 2001 SE auto with 65,000kms last year, which I'm in the process of parting out.

Old 06-23-2020, 01:01 PM

nice man !! really nice ! glad to see ya still have it! top notch =)
Old 06-23-2020, 04:59 PM

nice man !! really nice ! glad to see ya still have it! top notch =)
Thanks bro! Glad to see you still have yours. There's something about the 5th gen that's keeping me for moving on.
Old 06-23-2020, 08:04 PM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by cdoublejj
oh yeah 2001 was the Renault buyout! build quality whent down, my friend is car nut and of all the nissans and infinities hes tried in years since the interior just feels kind of .....cheap. i figure for the cost i could build out a maxima vs a new car but, boy-o do i need a body man being in the mid west rust belt, she has the cancer.

EDIT: i replace all parts with upgrade parts. i have an all aluminum rad, with silicone hoses, KYB struts with, not so lowered, H&R lowering springs, can't say i'll buy from them ever again. Energy suspension bits here and there. slotted and drilled rotors, akebono pads, DOT 5.1 fluid, good winter tires. just needs a new wiring harness and restoration and new interior.

EDIT: it's an 01 with a DEK engine and it was made japan.
I beat the **** out of my G35s. Interior is good enough (like a maxima) and nothing like a Z.

You just don't want a FWD platform....although I am interested in a Sentra nismo with a turbo upgrade.

Last edited by Child_uv_KoRn; 06-23-2020 at 08:07 PM.
Old 06-23-2020, 09:29 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I'm back but just to sell some rear brake pads and give a key fob away. It's in the clasifieds. Cleaning out the garage and coming up on past car parts.
Old 06-24-2020, 11:15 AM

Still holding it down in AZ, daily driving (3-4 days/wk) a 2K3 purchased from an .org member in 2K4. Didn't post here much over the years, but this site continues to be invaluable for keeping an old car fresh.

At 155k and only the text book issues - alternator, radiator, coils, CV boot, window regulator, PS high pressure hose, couple of calipers, mildly increasing oil consumption (now @ 1qt/3k), 2k ping (significantly reduced with catch can).

This old Maxima is still a very relaxing worry free car to drive to work. It definitely turns heads and has a fun-enough level of performance and handling despite being a 20 year old platform with wrong-wheel-drive.

In fact, I was pacing a nice ZL1-1LE the other night on the freeway, just admiring it, and he must have felt like I was challenging him as he did a hard pull away.

Interesting fact - over 16 years of service, the total expense including initial cost, mods, maintenance, repairs, wear items (excluding fuel, insurance, registration) is just under $40k.

Old 06-25-2020, 04:15 AM

dopness dude! glad to hear !! =) and i love keeping up with other cars even as our cars age!
Old 06-27-2020, 01:16 PM

CMax03- Still here...Still own the 90, 98 & 03 SE.... still loving these next car will be a Q50S 2017-19...
Old 07-07-2020, 02:33 PM

I'm still here . Sold my 5.5gen a while back but I missed it so much I bought another one a year and a half ago. Even tho this one is stock (for now)I still love to drive it . thanks to the org I feel like I'm an expert on the car lol. Only 140k miles I plan to keep it for another 100k plus. Also have a 2007 TL and my street bike. I remember alot of you guys in here . hope everyone doing good
Old 07-08-2020, 04:27 AM

nice !! =) good luck with the 2nd one !
Old 07-12-2020, 09:36 AM

What's up guys!
It's been a long time since I've been in here. I was browsing through my bookmarks and found one for the forum, decided to take a peek and found this thread. Wow, talk about a nostalgic trip down memory lane!

It's been a long time since I parted with my Max for a Mercedes W203, then a W211 and now I have a W212.

I ran into Rod (Rods03max619) about a week ago. He has a W212 like mine but he was still driving his Max!

Here's a pic of my old beloved Max and one of my current W212:

Old 07-12-2020, 07:25 PM

I honestly think the max looks way better.
Old 07-12-2020, 10:02 PM

I'll research it more but the Infiniti Q50 is built in Japan IIRC....Not interested in this Gen 8 Maxima there's a TSB (Recall) on the ABS pump that could result in a vehicular fire....Involving: Maximas, Pathfinders (QX60), Murano) Not feeling it since 2004 manufacturing change. My 2003 is the last model built in Japan and I'm in love with it! The Infiniti Q50S is so freaking sexy to my eyes! My 03 has 233K mile and is still running rigid, solid, and strong! I can definitely tell the difference in the rigidity of the 4th gen vs The 5th Gen! My 5th Gen just feel so well planted to the ground and just more solid but could be the fact that my 4th Gen is up around 450K mi. and the difference is an entire lifetime!

Recall Info:
https://www.cars.com/research/nissan...-2018/recalls/
Old 07-13-2020, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by CMax03
I'll research it more but the Infiniti Q50 is built in Japan IIRC....Not interested in this Gen 8 Maxima there's a TSB (Recall) on the ABS pump that could result in a vehicular fire....Involving: Maximas, Pathfinders (QX60), Murano) Not feeling it since 2004 manufacturing change. My 2003 is the last model built in Japan and I'm in love with it! The Infiniti Q50S is so freaking sexy to my eyes! My 03 has 233K mile and is still running rigid, solid, and strong! I can definitely tell the difference in the rigidity of the 4th gen vs The 5th Gen! My 5th Gen just feel so well planted to the ground and just more solid but could be the fact that my 4th Gen is up around 450K mi. and the difference is an entire lifetime!

Recall Info:
https://www.cars.com/research/nissan...-2018/recalls/
this is splitting hairs but IIRC the last japan made engines were in end of 2001 for the 2002 production years =) but yes this gen was amazingly built regardless where, so i know what you mean ! =) and thats an interesting view point, i kinda felt like my 3rd gen was more rigid than the 5.5 gen ! (stock to stock)

there's a way you can look up a VIN to see if it was truly built over seas. but i forget exactly how, it has to do with some of the characters/digits. the reason i remember this thought because my 2002 was literally right on the line and i dont even remember what side of the line =)
Old 07-20-2020, 11:16 AM

this is splitting hairs but IIRC the last japan made engines were in end of 2001 for the 2002 production years =) but yes this gen was amazingly built regardless where, so i know what you mean ! =) and thats an interesting view point, i kinda felt like my 3rd gen was more rigid than the 5.5 gen ! (stock to stock)

there's a way you can look up a VIN to see if it was truly built over seas. but i forget exactly how, it has to do with some of the characters/digits. the reason i remember this thought because my 2002 was literally right on the line and i dont even remember what side of the line =)
Maxima thru 2003 was assembled in Japan. First character of VIN represents country: J= Japan, 1=USA, 2=Canada, 3=Mexico, W=Germany, etc. I do not believe engine country of origin is captured in the VIN.

BTW - due to an apparent DMV error, I just registered my 5.5 for 5 years (w/ no emissions), so I will be around for a while longer.
Old 07-21-2020, 04:29 AM

hells ya ! dope ! =) !!
Old 08-19-2020, 10:12 PM

I'm not an OG compared to you guys, but been owning this 2000 5sp or more than 10 years now and at 225K it is still solid DD.

Old 08-29-2020, 08:42 AM
You embarrass me.

I stop by once in a while but I didn't see this thread before. Hope all the OGs are doing well.
Old 05-06-2021, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by zero2sixtyZ
I stop by once in a while but I didn't see this thread before. Hope all the OGs are doing well.
“Once in a while” aka hourly

Hi ALL
Old 05-09-2021, 06:25 PM

Still here i pop in every once in a while
Old 05-13-2021, 05:49 PM

I recently picked up a new car, so Maxine is getting kicked out of the garage. Picked up a custom fitted car cover, so the paint will stay nice.
Old 05-14-2021, 05:02 PM

my white 02 SE 6 speed still running strong at 295,000 miles, I just changed the oil today. power steering just started leaking and I think she needs some A/C work. A/C takes a little while to get cold and the compressor is a lil noisy. had her since December of 2012. she spends most of her time parked since I mainly use my motorcycle to get around.

Last edited by uptownsamcv; 05-14-2021 at 05:07 PM.
Old 05-23-2021, 09:17 PM

Nice max and very nice bike. PS and AC work is to be expected on any car at that age/miles. So any major engine or trans work done in that 295K?
Old 05-27-2021, 11:52 PM

Well, I have been on here since 2001. I bought her with 19k miles and now she has 254k miles. My son was brought home from the hospital in it and now he is driving it as his first car. He got into a minor fender bender with it, and now they want to total it out because of a dent in the door. To my surprise, they want to give us $2,600 for it. It still drives good, doesn't burn any oil (it does leak it). Kinda sad to see it go, but that's a more than fair payout. The clear coat is peeling. I don't go on this forum as much since my BMW came into the family. I still see plenty of 5th gen Maxima's around in socal.Good luck guys!
Old 05-29-2021, 02:30 PM

Still here from time to time.
Our 01 gle that we bought in 2005 continues to run like a champ.
323K and counting.

Quick Reply: Any OG 5th-genners still around here?