5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Updated Coil Packs

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 03:22 PM

Updated Coil Packs

I've been searching around the forums and yet to have any luck. I've had my SES light, traction control light, and slip light on due to the infamous coil pack issue. All the coil packs are replaced and had the codes cleared. The lights come right back on. What is the OEM part number for these "grey dot" coils? I've been searching around and can't find a simple part number. All I come across is Hitachi and grey dot. Should I order Hitachi IGC0074? They don't show a grey dot in the picture on rock auto and neither do the IGC0026 I have in there now. I'm just getting really frustrated now so any help in pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. I'll pay you in gum..
Old 04-29-2014, 03:37 PM

So what brand coils you have in there now? I have the Hitachi coils and haven't had any problems with them, but when a couple of the original ones went bad it was just the code for that cylinder and not other codes like yours....
Old 04-29-2014, 03:39 PM

^ same. I've mix and matched as well without the problems you are having.
I believe this is the newest OEM part# 22448-8J11C
Old 04-29-2014, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Rods03Max619
So what brand coils you have in there now? I have the Hitachi coils and haven't had any problems with them, but when a couple of the original ones went bad it was just the code for that cylinder and not other codes like yours....
I had my mechanic do the front 3 and they're Hitachi IGC0026. I just bought IGC0021 for the back but the 01 maxi is IGC0074 based off of rock auto.
Originally Posted by ateick
^ same. I've mix and matched as well without the problems you are having.
I believe this is the newest OEM part# 22448-8J11C
I also just saw that it could be a number of things. I wish I wrote down what the code was but my mechanic said it's a code for a misfired cylinder but does't specify which one. Also throwing a cat code if that matters. I think I read in an old post that it could cause other codes to pop up. I'll look into that part number and order them up if they're the grey dot guys.
Old 04-29-2014, 11:47 PM

You say it has misfired cylinder code but doesn't specify which one. This is the P0300 random/multiple misfire code. That, along with the cat code tells me you should be looking at a clogged cat. I wrestled with the P0300 for a long time and replaced everything under the sun trying to fix it. It turned out to be clogged precats.

Mine was bogging very badly under load and had a semi difficult time at idle, but mine were clogged completely. If yours are just now clogged enough to start throwing codes and issues like that, then you may or may not experience any power loss or driveability issues.

It would be worth grabbing a vacuum gauge and seeing if they're clogged. If you need to know the process by which to test that let me know, and I'll post it up. It is not difficult and only requires a vacuum gauge.
Old 04-30-2014, 05:01 AM

OP has a 2000. You need the 2001 coils, Part Number # 22448-2Y005

Not sure what coils you got with those part numbers, but they're obviously not the OEM 2001 coils.
I would recommend going OEM only if you don't want any problems, unless this really is a clogged cat?
Old 04-30-2014, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by dfj240
You say it has misfired cylinder code but doesn't specify which one. This is the P0300 random/multiple misfire code. That, along with the cat code tells me you should be looking at a clogged cat. I wrestled with the P0300 for a long time and replaced everything under the sun trying to fix it. It turned out to be clogged precats.

Mine was bogging very badly under load and had a semi difficult time at idle, but mine were clogged completely. If yours are just now clogged enough to start throwing codes and issues like that, then you may or may not experience any power loss or driveability issues.

It would be worth grabbing a vacuum gauge and seeing if they're clogged. If you need to know the process by which to test that let me know, and I'll post it up. It is not difficult and only requires a vacuum gauge.
I'll start looking into this and get back to you on it. This was very helpful because I've had the cat code since I bought the car and the code was cleared to see if it would come back on and then the coils went and haven't gotten the lights off again.
Originally Posted by D.Stillwell
OP has a 2000. You need the 2001 coils, Part Number # 22448-2Y005

Not sure what coils you got with those part numbers, but they're obviously not the OEM 2001 coils.
I would recommend going OEM only if you don't want any problems, unless this really is a clogged cat?
Awesome thanks. I went on rockauto and it says that the actual oem are the Hitachi coils. They give those weird part numbers but I'm going to order up the new ones and return the wrong ones I got and see if that does anything.
Old 05-20-2014, 06:47 PM

Well just an update I went out and check the coil packs I had in there and it turns out the front ones my mechanic put in weren't the right ones and the ones I ordered off of rockauto had the grey dots. I took a chance and ordered the same ones to replace the front and also bought an obd ii scanner. Popped in the new ones on Friday and cleared the codes. Haven't seen the light come on since

Thanks again for all the help. I was about ready to sell this thing once and for all after having my dash lit up like a Christmas tree for almost 2 years with those 3 lights. I can finally cruise around without any worries.
Old 05-20-2014, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Shift_Burger
Well just an update I went out and check the coil packs I had in there and it turns out the front ones my mechanic put in weren't the right ones and the ones I ordered off of rockauto had the grey dots. I took a chance and ordered the same ones to replace the front and also bought an obd ii scanner. Popped in the new ones on Friday and cleared the codes. Haven't seen the light come on since

Thanks again for all the help. I was about ready to sell this thing once and for all after having my dash lit up like a Christmas tree for almost 2 years with those 3 lights. I can finally cruise around without any worries.
Always nice to hear the sweet sounds of victory. Good on you man. Glad you got it sorted.