5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Advance timing with android phone?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by cjandura
I have 3 tablets and plenty of droid phones but i have some special apple only software for tuning my car audio system and use a ipad for that

Sent from my iPhone using MaximaOrg
I'm just messing around. If you really want to push to get this app for Apple, talk to Isaac. Posted the website earlier somewhere. Maybe you could step up to help him code it, who knows.

OR... has anyone checked for an app that has this capability for iPhone and iPad?
Old 07-11-2013, 09:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JWatZ

I'm just messing around. If you really want to push to get this app for Apple, talk to Isaac. Posted the website earlier somewhere. Maybe you could step up to help him code it, who knows.

OR... has anyone checked for an app that has this capability for iPhone and iPad?
I rather deal with him because his stuff works and he supports us

Sent from my iPhone using MaximaOrg
Old 07-11-2013, 09:34 PM

http://scantech.proboards.com/thread/58/

Thread for ignition timing, might just want to start a new thread in the questions area or send him an email. Good luck man. I'd be willing to help out if you are able to get something going.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:25 PM

[/URL]
Is this with Torque Pro? If so, I've got the same app, but the gauges default to basic carbon background and black face gauges. Can't figure out how to change them. Perhaps it's the device? I've got an inexpensive Android device for this.
Old 07-14-2013, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by dcpatters
Is this with Torque Pro? If so, I've got the same app, but the gauges default to basic carbon background and black face gauges. Can't figure out how to change them. Perhaps it's the device? I've got an inexpensive Android device for this.
It is called "car gauge pro". It's around $6. Well worth it if you own a Nissan because of all of the advanced features.
Old 07-14-2013, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by dcpatters
Yes, my gauge screen shot is with Torque, not Car Gauge. I took a picture with my hand covering the cam for the black background, forget which theme that is for the gauges. Have you set up the vehicle profile? That may make a difference as far as keeping the theme once set.

Edit for those reading thread for the first time:
Torque Pro will NOT allow you to advance your timing. This thread is centered around an app called Car Gauge Pro.

Last edited by JWatZ; 07-14-2013 at 07:33 AM.
Old 07-14-2013, 07:37 AM
YGG

My friend seems to have an issue with his 2002 6 Speed sticking, we are using the ELM327 and a North American S3, gains were felt, I swear it sounded slightly more aggressive but we couldn't get it to stick. My car is off the road right now until I get some more moola so I can't test with my 03. I'll report back when my boss lets me go full time and I can start dropping fat stacks into the Maxi again. (Implying I spent fat stacks on it lol, not quite yet)

Friends Max would stick while running if you didn't save it and of course reverted when turned off and on, if you changed the timing and saved it, it would revert to stock on the gauge. He also reported his A/C affecting timing
Old 07-14-2013, 07:42 AM

Yes, my gauge screen shot is with Torque, not Car Gauge. I took a picture with my hand covering the cam for the black background, forget which theme that is for the gauges. Have you set up the vehicle profile? That may make a difference as far as keeping the theme once set.

Edit for those reading thread for the first time:
Torque Pro will NOT allow you to advance your timing. This thread is centered around an app called Car Gauge Pro.
Thanks, I figured out how to edit the gauge backgrounds.

Correct, my question was a bit off topic since it related to gauge configuration of Torque Pro.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:38 AM

I recommend this for all Nissan guys. The improvement in my low/mid range is outstanding! Throttle response is awesome as well. Also made my pathfinder much more peppier. It eludes me as to why Nissan cars aren't set this way from the factory. So much more responsive.
Old 07-14-2013, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by YGG
My friend seems to have an issue with his 2002 6 Speed sticking, we are using the ELM327 and a North American S3, gains were felt, I swear it sounded slightly more aggressive but we couldn't get it to stick. My car is off the road right now until I get some more moola so I can't test with my 03. I'll report back when my boss lets me go full time and I can start dropping fat stacks into the Maxi again. (Implying I spent fat stacks on it lol, not quite yet)

Friends Max would stick while running if you didn't save it and of course reverted when turned off and on, if you changed the timing and saved it, it would revert to stock on the gauge. He also reported his A/C affecting timing
Scroll up for the link to the scantech thread. Takes a minute to register and bring this issue up to Isaac. Send him a debug along with the exact elm you're using. It is my understanding that older versions of elm327 do not work right with these functions. But regardless, bring it up to Isaac.
Old 07-14-2013, 04:18 PM

I love this program. I purchased both pro programs ( and no that's not a typo) love them both especially car gauge pro ONLY due to the fact that you can diagnose ANYTHING wrong with the car. ABS as well :-) checking to see if even your pump is running properly. And testing all solenoids. All cylinders which is super cool. The PID list is absolutely outragous!!! This program at the amount it costs is about on par with most of the stuff the mechanics have at my work, which is sad, but good for me. I also dowloaded for free dashcommand which is another nice program.

OT though is anyone else getting some laggy numbers in torque pro for their times. And yes I have checked faster connections times in the settings.??
Old 07-14-2013, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Brudface
I love this program. I purchased both pro programs ( and no that's not a typo) love them both especially car gauge pro ONLY due to the fact that you can diagnose ANYTHING wrong with the car. ABS as well :-) checking to see if even your pump is running properly. And testing all solenoids. All cylinders which is super cool. The PID list is absolutely outragous!!! This program at the amount it costs is about on par with most of the stuff the mechanics have at my work, which is sad, but good for me. I also dowloaded for free dashcommand which is another nice program.

OT though is anyone else getting some laggy numbers in torque pro for their times. And yes I have checked faster connections times in the settings.??
How did you get the abs to work? Mine says negative response
Old 07-14-2013, 05:02 PM

The only one I get a negative response from is the tcm which I already knew that because you can't read the tcm. 04+ can read them. That and the idle relearn is not succesful
Old 07-14-2013, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Brudface
What do you mean by times? 1/4 mile, 0-60? If so, yeah. I've personally noticed more accurate times with gps off. I did a 0-60 back to back with it on and got 9.4 followed by 6.1. Off I got a 6.8 and a 6.5, which to me was a bit more on part with averages. I don't run 1/4 miles on open roads so I can't comment.
Old 07-14-2013, 05:14 PM

0-60 is what I meant. I live in the city and don't do 1/4 mile either lmao... not even a 1/4 mile to a light. Maybe that's the issue with the gps, its probably laggy because its taking the readings through the satalites, and not through the ecm which would be silly but more than likely probable.
Old 07-16-2013, 02:25 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Apps work great...but man they are laggy. RPM and TPS are some of many that run delayed.
Old 07-16-2013, 02:50 PM

Turn on smooth needles in settings and select the highest settings for it. then run those gauges on their own page and they will be nice and smooth and pretty well timed.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:50 AM

^ gonna try that tomorrow.

I just gotta say again at how great of a find this was. The improvement in throttle response and overall power was huge on my Maxima. And the pathfinder is much more torquey...almost sporty feeling.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Finchum
I just gotta say again at how great of a find this was.
As my wife would say after I say or do something worthwhile, "Well, a broke clock is right at least twice a day. That's still one up on you."

And btw, I already had this app previous to the timing advance update. Used it a lot on my Excursion to troubleshoot the ongoing issues with that sucker. Just happened that the developer took the time to add this after it was requested by another user. We should find that guy who thought to ask and send him some beer money via PayPal.

Last edited by NmexMAX; 07-25-2013 at 03:09 PM.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:26 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Order the elm327, and bought the car gauge pro app. Just can't wait..... I guess i'll use the car gauge pro as the tool, and get the torque pro for display....I think that torque pro can give you numbers for hp/torque and times.... So the best would be to use car gauge pro to reset to factory, advance timing and check for issues. Then take torque pro to have a cool display and see performance values...
Old 07-18-2013, 06:57 AM

Dash Command has some really cool displays..... I use that for my E250 work van.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:00 AM

I was thinking as I tend to do sometimes... with the increased idle rpm at the track might be fun going to try it out either this weekend or next. Increase it to about 2500 or so. I am automagic so we'll see what I get because I know the car has a 750 rpm stall but wiuld it cancel it out or not would be my next question.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:42 AM

So I just go my Bluetooth connector in the mail... Finally. I haven't ordered the car gauge pro app yet as I only have an iPhone it will be getting bought for the gf's android this weekend

So I downloaded the iOBD2 app, just to see if I can test this thing out and I can't even get my iPhone to pick it up on Bluetooth.

Has tried to connect this with an iPhone?
I hope I didn't get a bad one, this thing took almost a month to come.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Brl24
So I just go my Bluetooth connector in the mail... Finally. I haven't ordered the car gauge pro app yet as I only have an iPhone it will be getting bought for the gf's android this weekend

So I downloaded the iOBD2 app, just to see if I can test this thing out and I can't even get my iPhone to pick it up on Bluetooth.

Has tried to connect this with an iPhone?
I hope I didn't get a bad one, this thing took almost a month to come.
Does the iphone even see it when trying to pair? Once you turn the car on, I think you only have a short window to discover and pair the device.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:11 AM

Nope my iPhone doesn't even discover it.
A short window to connect you say?

So I should plug in the elm, open Bluetooth, start searching, then turn the ignition on?

Also what the fcuck is this little disk for that came with the elm?
It looks like it contains top secret files, for a drive I don't even own?
Old 07-25-2013, 10:19 AM

Thats because your not supposed to know what's on it... Lol... Turn your ignition on, get your phone searching for bluetooth, then plug the elm in. That's how I had to find mine.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by CauzinDrama
Thats because your not supposed to know what's on it... Lol... Turn your ignition on, get your phone searching for bluetooth, then plug the elm in. That's how I had to find mine.
Haha
Going to test with that procedure now.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:12 AM

Also what the fcuck is this little disk for that came with the elm?
It looks like it contains top secret files, for a drive I don't even own?
That disc will fit in any standard tray style computer cd/dvd drive. The files are pretty worthless as far as I know. Mine had a windows scan tool, bluetooth driver and the user manual.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:14 AM

No dice brah.

Not sure if this says anything to anyone, but there are three lights on the back of the ELM, if the wide part is at the top they are on the right going vertically.

When I plug it in, the bottom red light goes on, then it goes from the top green, middle yellow until just the red is on again.

My Bluetooth picks up nothing, although one time it did pick up a "wireless device", but failed to connect and said "please make sure device is turned on and ready for pairing".

Well I think I may have figured out why, the eBay says that it is designed for an android phone. I didn't remember the ad saying that, and it says nothing about iPhone compatibility, so I'm just awaiting the sellers reply.

Strange that it would only work with android phones, I thought it would work with anything.
Stupid apple.

Last edited by NmexMAX; 07-25-2013 at 03:09 PM.
Old 07-25-2013, 02:09 PM

I thought iPhone/iPad uses a wifi elm adapter?

Edit for the moderators: both dyno's were 2nd gear pulls on a 4AT, private road, and do not encourage anyone to speed on public roads.

Off topic news of the day: Got a new Android app, OBD 2 Dyno. It was $2 and seems to work rather well. Need to play more with it, but here's a comparison of the HP in this app vs. Torque Pro:

OBD 2 Dyno:

Torque Pro (look at Max/Best) :

Last edited by NmexMAX; 07-25-2013 at 03:08 PM.
Old 07-25-2013, 02:34 PM

I thought iPhone/iPad uses a wifi elm adapter?
That's correct. Apple locks down Bluetooth. Need WiFi compatible.
Old 07-25-2013, 03:38 PM

I just keep hearing more excuses to jump ship from the apple d. Bags.
Old 07-25-2013, 04:03 PM

I just keep hearing more excuses to jump ship from the apple d. Bags.
My wife did when I got my Galaxy S3. Got rid of her iPhone 5 for the same phone because she liked it so much.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:33 PM

So no tuning with the iphone yet
Old 07-25-2013, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by MerlotMaxima
So no tuning with the iphone yet
Take it upon yourself to shoot some messages and emails to developers of iPhone OBD2 apps, offer to be a guinea pig and share logs and debugs. How do you think this app got the functionality? Or, as stated on more than one occasion in this thread... get a cheap Android phone (doesn't need service) or tablet w/bluetooth. No need to be defeated because you're riding the Apple bandwagon.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:02 PM

Take it upon yourself to shoot some messages and emails to developers of iPhone OBD2 apps, offer to be a guinea pig and share logs and debugs. How do you think this app got the functionality? Or, as stated on more than one occasion in this thread... get a cheap Android phone (doesn't need service) or tablet w/bluetooth. No need to be defeated because you're riding the Apple bandwagon.
This wagons got some comfortable seats dammit
Old 07-25-2013, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by MerlotMaxima
This wagons got some comfortable seats dammit
It does, but look what I can do. Na na na na boo boo, stick your head in doo doo.

j/k

My wife is still riding in those comfy seats on the wagon, but can't check her text messages while riding it now, lol.
Old 07-27-2013, 01:37 PM

I'm pretty much ready to make the switch, apple def isn't all it's cracked up to be. I'm just waiting for a contract to run out.

In the mean time, I'm trying to this on the gf's LG Optomis. Just to test out the ELM plug-in, I got the free lite version of the app, and I don't think it's working... But I'm not sure what the lite version is supposed to be able to do.

When I go into the Bluetooth settings on the phone, it finds the ELM and pairs after entering the code of 1234 but the it says "paired but not connected" below it.

So when I go into the car gauge pro and try to connect, I select in order:
Nissan
ECM (gasoline)
OBDII

It try's to connect then says "mnuConnect Error"

WTF?
Anyone know what's up?
Old 07-27-2013, 02:40 PM

Not sure, I never did the lite version. Sometimes I get a Java Exception error or something. I have to unpair, repair, and I'm good to go.
Old 07-27-2013, 02:45 PM

I tried unpairing and repairing several times and it didn't work.

What type of android are you using?
Has anyone else used the LG Optimus to do this?

Quick Reply: Advance timing with android phone?