5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

single turbo or twin

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by MrEous
I thought it was the other way around...S/C for low-end and Turbo for high-end power.

Don't sway OP in the wrong direction!
Too many variables. But In general:
Big Turbo is best for drag/High HP.
SC's are best for high RPM power
Twins are best for low end power.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Flava_24/7
In all honesty, that would be a bad @ss setup if it werent such a difficult one.
Small turbo for quick spooling low end boost and the SCer for the top end= always in boost! YAY.
Twinchargers are sexy, but like you said, difficult to do (and costly!)

Old 07-25-2012, 10:18 AM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by aackshun
Wait.... This could be the new Ghustler thread!!!!!

Fine, spoonfeed me then!

On a compound boost setup how would you bypass one or the other?? I know for S/C Turbo setups the S/C can only flow so much air.... Aren't there clutch operated S/C's so when a turbo kicks in and blows more air than the S/C can pump out the clutch kicks out and the fan just spins????? Sorta like how clutch fans work on RWD vehicles??

I post this knowing full well a google search can answer this in a few minutes.... I wanna be lazy like everyone else now
I think your a bit confused between compound setups and twin charged setups.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:26 AM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by MrEous
I thought it was the other way around...S/C for low-end and Turbo for high-end power.

Don't sway OP in the wrong direction!
Most twin charged setups it is, but I was speaking in regards to using the Centrifugal scer in line first since they dont build up boost right away more so with a larger pulley and these types of blowers wouldnt hold up to air being forced into them however that setup hasnt been done very much and from what Ive read wasnt very efficient, not compared to the traditional twin setups.
If money were no option it would be cool to try.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:28 AM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by AznRyan
Twinchargers are sexy, but like you said, difficult to do (and costly!)

Everyone Ive spoken to has stated the tuning and getting the wastegates and BOVs to work together is a nightmare.

However, a compound setup is pretty nice too.
This is a local guy here in Austins setup. He has it on a 2jz swapped Z31. Car is sick!
Old 07-25-2012, 10:59 AM

I think your a bit confused between compound setups and twin charged setups.
Possibly, boost aint my game, I only learn by doing some googling because of threads like this.

What I'm referring to is how a Stock Supra is setup and not how the 300ZX is setup.

Everyone Ive spoken to has stated the tuning and getting the wastegates and BOVs to work together is a nightmare.

However, a compound setup is pretty nice too.
This is a local guy here in Austins setup. He has it on a 2jz swapped Z31. Car is sick!
What about that S30/S31 TT setup from Austin? You were @ the same Nissan meet he was like a year or two ago, he had a Compound setup IIRC, I remember seeing the pics of the mad piping was going on in that car
Old 07-25-2012, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Sheepdog1775
I say screw turbos. Go big or GTFO.

this is great
Old 07-25-2012, 11:50 AM
Boosted Panda

Possibly, boost aint my game, I only learn by doing some googling because of threads like this.

What I'm referring to is how a Stock Supra is setup and not how the 300ZX is setup.

What about that S30/S31 TT setup from Austin? You were @ the same Nissan meet he was like a year or two ago, he had a Compound setup IIRC, I remember seeing the pics of the mad piping was going on in that car
Supra's setup is that the turbos operate in sequential mode as opposed to parallel mode. A compound setup uses different sized turbos.
I dont remember seeing that car, I saw an LS swapped 240 with nitrous and an RB swapped one.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:40 PM

Supra's setup is that the turbos operate in sequential mode as opposed to parallel mode. A compound setup uses different sized turbos.
I dont remember seeing that car, I saw an LS swapped 240 with nitrous and an RB swapped one.
Yeah, series turbos are one turbo feeding another, so there's a High pressure turbo and a Low pressure turbo. HP feeds the LP and then the engine.

Parallel are basically 2 separate turbos whose outlets normally join into one Intercooler then feed the engine.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:59 PM

Maybe it was two years ago? Me no sure... Time for some grave diggin

[edit]

It was the RB swapped one:

A path of least resistance will yeild the best flow, when making big boost a dual setup can achieve this or by going with a larger diameter piping. If one is using 3" piping, space may not allow for larger piping to be used.
However, his setup does have independent piping.
http://web.mac.com/markrolston/NewSi...Underside.html

The car was really tricked out, and is all about its performance. The intercooler setup alone was really nice. It was a top mount, however they way it was deisgned it only allowed cool air to be circulated through it.
The top portion vented through the hood and the bottom was sealed to channel airflow directly into it from the front of the car.

This car is no slouch, and like I stated before no shorts were taken in its build.

Some old writes up of it..
http://www.superstreetonline.com/fea...0_z/index.html
http://www.viczcar.com/member-rides/...t-powered-240z
Vid of it...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzJvR9Ob1I8
and his website with info about his new build....
http://web.mac.com/markrolston/NewSite/Z-car.html

So how did the tranny swap go?
I knew this was a while back I remember being 5MT during this time.... but it was before my 5mt went *BOOM* and forced me to complete the swap.

Last edited by aackshun; 07-25-2012 at 01:12 PM.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:00 PM

Also there's a ton of interpretations of "compound" charging. Mainly it's interpreted as Supercharger + Turbocharger.

Series turbos usually are 2 different sizes.
That video setup is something completely different, and very unique. I don't know what you'd call that, but it's definately a hybrid setup.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:07 PM

Old 07-25-2012, 02:43 PM

you guys want to see about turbo into supercharger or quad turbos or whatever come to my side of performance. diesel performance is where its at. big turbo feeding into little turbo or little feeding into big or twin into supercharger and even supercharger feeding into a turbo its all there.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:59 PM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000
Also there's a ton of interpretations of "compound" charging. Mainly it's interpreted as Supercharger + Turbocharger.

Series turbos usually are 2 different sizes.
That video setup is something completely different, and very unique. I don't know what you'd call that, but it's definately a hybrid setup.
Uh, everyone I've ever spoken to refers to a twin charge setup as a scer and tcer, and compound setups as different sized tcers feeding each other. Of course since their all feeding each other a tc/sc setup is technically a compound setup but most refer to it as a twincharged setup so that individuals know that its a combo if both a scer and tc.
The video I posted isnt really unique setup. It's been done time and time again. That vid is just of a kit that was developed and being produced by Boostlogic.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:19 PM

Uh, everyone I've ever spoken to refers to a twin charge setup as a scer and tcer, and compound setups as different sized tcers feeding each other. Of course since their all feeding each other a tc/sc setup is technically a compound setup but most refer to it as a twincharged setup so that individuals know that its a combo if both a scer and tc.
The video I posted isnt really unique setup. It's been done time and time again. That vid is just of a kit that was developed and being produced by Boostlogic.
Dunno, I've always heared of SC/Turbo as Compounding, or Twin charging. Terms, it is what it is. There' s a ton of terms to describe the same thing, and many are easy to confuse, lol. Especially this.

Bi turbo, series, sequential, parallel, twin turbo, compounded, twin charged, etc, etc, etc, etc.

As for that setup you posted, I like it, do you have any more links for this, I haven't really seen that before.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:03 PM

ZZ Performance makes twin charge kits for the Grand Prix, and Cobalt SS.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:11 PM

im happy with my single turbo
Old 07-25-2012, 05:56 PM
Banned

im happy with my set also
Old 07-25-2012, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by cjandura
im happy with my set also
Which one of your turbo cars are you referring to?
Old 07-25-2012, 06:37 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

crazy

I was trying to put twin and place them on my fog light but I have to make a lot of mods but I wanna do a small turbo in front and a big one behind it and try to make my max 4 wheel drive if possible
Old 07-25-2012, 06:39 PM

I'm happy with whistling (in a performance way, of course) when my car is over 3k rpm's.

no.. no I'm not..
Old 07-25-2012, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by 02maxpower
I was trying to put twin and place them on my fog light but I have to make a lot of mods but I wanna do a small turbo in front and a big one behind it and try to make my max 4 wheel drive if possible
I think you should also try to make your max amphibious and asexual.... Now that would be a cool mod...

Last edited by Gizm0; 07-25-2012 at 06:49 PM.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:01 PM
Boosted Panda

Maybe it was two years ago? Me no sure... Time for some grave diggin

[edit]

It was the RB swapped one:

I knew this was a while back I remember being 5MT during this time.... but it was before my 5mt went *BOOM* and forced me to complete the swap.
Its twin turboed, running twin Garrett 28 71R's
Old 07-25-2012, 08:08 PM

Don't forget to give it 4 wheel steering and right hand drive.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:31 PM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000
Dunno, I've always heared of SC/Turbo as Compounding, or Twin charging. Terms, it is what it is. There' s a ton of terms to describe the same thing, and many are easy to confuse, lol. Especially this.

Bi turbo, series, sequential, parallel, twin turbo, compounded, twin charged, etc, etc, etc, etc.

As for that setup you posted, I like it, do you have any more links for this, I haven't really seen that before.
He has tons of vids and etc all over the web.
Just google streetfighter z31

Heres an example of another compound turbo setup,
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/cust...bo-set-up.html

One more,..
http://www.fitfreak.net/forums/1041800-post5.html
Old 07-25-2012, 09:19 PM

sell maxima, get camry.
profit.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by T_Behr904
Don't forget to give it 4 wheel steering and right hand drive.
*5 wheel steering. Might as well make use of that spare. It'll give it the traction for track action.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:56 PM

How is this thread still going?
Old 07-26-2012, 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by Tyutyunnik
How is this thread still going?

nowhere... newb posted a bogus thread and weve managed to turn it into a somewhat informative thread about turbos and what not, oh and op is making it 4 wheel drive now :/ lol
Old 07-26-2012, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by Kuhn_man
nowhere... newb posted a bogus thread and weve managed to turn it into a somewhat informative thread about turbos and what not, oh and op is making it 4 wheel drive now :/ lol
Old 07-26-2012, 01:12 PM

Def a terrible thread from the start, but I am loving the turbo/sc'er talk, keep it comin!
Old 07-27-2012, 07:57 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

yo this is a site of people that actually do things to their cars and like to share their way of doing it and helpin others by giving advices and not being afraid to to answer so good lookin out to those that replied to me i will put the tips for good use
Old 07-27-2012, 07:58 PM

yo this is a site of people that actually do things to their cars and like to share their way of doing it and helpin others by giving advices and not being afraid to to answer so good lookin out to those that replied to me i will put the tips for good use
Do an LS motor swap and call it a day...
Old 07-28-2012, 02:04 AM

you said it youself, no one here believes you cause quite honestly we see tons of newbs post crap like this and its all rubbish, so pics or it didnt happen
Old 07-28-2012, 07:23 AM

Nah, you won't.
Old 07-28-2012, 08:06 AM
Banned

Don't know if any of you guys were aware of this but there was actually a black de-k featured in super street years ago running the Stillen super charger and turbocharged
Old 07-28-2012, 08:17 AM

Volkswagen has the twin charger setup (compressor + turbo) on their 1.4 TSI engine that outputs 180hp from that tiny powerplant while managing to get 45mpg average... The power is equivalent to a 2.0 or 2.5 N/A engine while the consumption is still low...
Old 07-28-2012, 05:09 PM

were not saying it isnt possible, but the fact of the matter lies within the fact that no one here believes he is doing it. i mean ive personally thought out on how to twin turbo our cars and with enough work everything is possible
Old 07-28-2012, 05:54 PM

I think HKS used to have a kit out for the AE86, but it'd been disc. for a long time.

Like a chick with three knockers, it's interesting as hell, but given the chance I'd rock something more conventional. I'm sure it'd have a high maintenance, too ><
Old 07-28-2012, 05:54 PM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by Clashez
Don't know if any of you guys were aware of this but there was actually a black de-k featured in super street years ago running the Stillen super charger and turbocharged
Id like to see that, have any other info or link?

Originally Posted by Kuhn_man
were not saying it isnt possible, but the fact of the matter lies within the fact that no one here believes he is doing it. i mean ive personally thought out on how to twin turbo our cars and with enough work everything is possible
But whats the point of having twin turbos on a Maxima? Well, other then to say that its twing turboed.
With a single turbo the VQ makes plenty of power, the car is still FWD and too much power is just a waste.

Quick Reply: single turbo or twin