5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

I put a cheap plastic AutoZone scoop on my 2001 Maxima!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by BobPezz
You're welcome!

Before you guys get into a long drawn out controversy, here's the facts. The "CAD" is just a simple effective way to lower inlet air temps ~7deg. using the stock inlet Snorkel/Air-Box. Whether or not it makes more power is debatable. That said, the efficiency benefits from colder/denser inlet air temp appears to be slightly better city MPG & drive-ability. I.E. According to the data, slightly less throttle to achieve the same speeds in DD situations. That could be attributed to factors like air-density/temp, heat-soak, MAF/timing, differentials etc. Take your pick, or 'D' = all the above, bottom line it's an easy $15. mod that works as advertised.
Still a great job you did on this Mr.Pezz, and well said.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000
Still a great job you did on this Mr.Pezz, and well said.
Thanks 'Tuner', coming from you it's a big compliment. You were quite skeptical at first IIRC! I'm sort of surprised this thread has re-surfaced after all this time.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by arlan
i think i still have the OEM snorkel from 2k max if you need.
Thanks for the offer, but the 2001 snorkel is different from other years. It's a 1 piece design with the water trap & air-box coupling molded in. Plus it has no Helmholtz on it, like prior/later years. The 2001 snorkel should work fine for what I have in mind, the others not so good. I already have a 2k snorkel/air-box sitting in the garage that's useless for my mod plan. (except as a spare if my idea is a fail)
Old 03-03-2012, 11:50 AM

Fine, here we go once again, I'll attempt to school you a little. You need this especially if you plan to SC so I hope you take it well, I'll try to be nice about it.

My link and it's info is exactly what you asked for

What you are saying you "think" defies the very BASIC principles of physics and science. Warm air is NOT dense, COLD AIR IS DENSE. Turbulence is also a WANTED feature of any intake or exhaust system, but it's control is the part that is key. Once inside the intake tubing it's control is entirely up to the intake design.

Also, the turbulence in the engine bay from the Hot air, especially when an SRI is introduced, is MUCH higher than that of the fenderwell. MUCH< MUCH< MUCH higher.

This whole statement is absolutely 100% wrong.

An intercooler's function is to cool down hot air. This hot air is ONLY present because the air has been pressurized (and thusly, heated) by a compressor (turbo/supercharger). This is the intercooler's only job, to make the air colder. It doesn't make it colder than the air you'd get in the fenderwell. The air in the fender is COLDER than any Intercooler setup will acheive. Again, these are basic principles.

This is why your statement makes no sense at all, your opinion it may be, but it's still completely false, and if you think it's true, again, you have some learning to do.

And one of thousands to millions of books, threads, research articles, and basic principles of physics and science will prove this to you. I am astonished that you would even think for a second to question this. This is the REASON CAI's are desired period, colder denser air makes more power because it allows DENSER air into the cylinder, which means MORE air which means MORE fuel which means MORE charge volume, and MORE POWER.

Also, couple this with the fact that it's actual temperature is colder, which keeps cylinder and engine temps lower, increasing efficancy and keeping power levels up. Ever see them spray coolant on a race engine before a run, or put blocks of ice on the intake?

An extra 5 WHP? You think that that is miniscule, that's a LARGE increase, that's actually DOUBLING the normal gains from the GAB mod, etc.

Also, thinking that PEAK HP GAINS are what you want to acheive is a very incorrect way to think. You want to increase power across the whole band, specifically where it's needed most. There's a science behind intake and exhaust tuning that I don't expect you to understand fully, but you should know at least the basics. This is clearly something you are currently lacking.

You have a lot of reading to do ShockNawe, before you even think about SCing. Unless of course you plan to just pay someone to tune your engine and teach you the proper way to drive it. Don't get me wrong, this is OK, but don't profess to know about it, or try to modify it.
your amount of knowledge to be undertaking such a task isn't even close to where it needs to be.

A little less cockiness and a LOT more learning, and you could get there. Your change on the .org in the last while is a testiment to the possibility of you learning, so I hope you can take this with the best of intentions, and maybe dig up some of Spark's other threads, follow the links he provides, research a lot, and when you have questions, feel free to ask.

All that is true yes I think you are just misinterpreting my opinion of the fender intake. I know it WILL increase HP lol cold air is never a bad thing. Thats how the internal combustion engine is designed for goodness sakes, to expell heat as efficiently and quickly as possible. All I was saying is that its not worth the gain to me and the shape the intake is taking is far from ideal. Nothing but numbers can convince me to change my opinion of it. Yes you know it will be cooler air and HP will go up thats obvious lol I meant I want to see the numbers like "for every 20 degrees intake air temp is lowered 1-2hp is realized". Something to that effect. Im not arguing its merit. It is obvious. I think you just enjoy arguing with me and that fine too bc thats how things actually get done. opposing opinions
Old 03-03-2012, 01:31 PM

A widely accepted figure for power gain from charge air cooling is 1% for every 10 deg F of temperature drop.

It's done in % as it has to be, but this is about the most conclusive you'll get. Also, you have to factor that the Intercooler also robs PSI from your boost set up. It's a give/take scenario, but IMO worth it.

Whether boosted or not, the quoted 1% for every 10 Deg F is very widely accepted as a tuning average.

Once again, someone looking to SC should know these things.
Old 03-03-2012, 05:33 PM

A widely accepted figure for power gain from charge air cooling is 1% for every 10 deg F of temperature drop.

It's done in % as it has to be, but this is about the most conclusive you'll get. Also, you have to factor that the Intercooler also robs PSI from your boost set up. It's a give/take scenario, but IMO worth it.

Whether boosted or not, the quoted 1% for every 10 Deg F is very widely accepted as a tuning average.

Since we're on the IAT subject, I'll put my $.02 in re: the OP topic. Not noted in the summary data, the "CAD" drops the IAT to ~10deg over ambient@30MPH & ~5deg over ambient @70MPH. Factoring in the IAT/power % works out to only a 1% -.5% loss vs. ambient IAT at the respective speeds. Bear in mind, no system (except an 'Ice-Box') will get IAT significantly below ambient. Including intercoolers/radiators with evaporation sprayers. Ideally the best you can expect is IAT at ambient, but heat-soak from under hood temperature usually prevents that.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:28 PM

I'm shocked I never realized this, but Bob, I have a suspicion that your "diverter" portion could be quite incorrect.

Rather, it may be more likely that the piece you put on simply blocks the hot air dispelled from the Radiator and A/C condensor from getting into the intake stream quite so easily. Effect is desired of course, but if this is true, it really changes the entire perspective of the modification, and perhaps, gives some better ideas for modification.

Of course, this is a measure of semantics because really, "cold" is simply the abesence of heat.

This can be tested though, but you'd have to remove the CAD again for testing.

Monitor static IAT when engine is cold, and hasn't been running, then start up, monitor IAT, then drive at various speeds noting IAT.

Then park car let it cool back off 100%. Install CAD. Perform same test.

If the Idle air and initial run temps are the same (before the thermostat opens and starts running hot coolant through the Radiator) then this is precisely what this "CAD" is actually doing, diverting the HOT air AWAY from the intake stream.

If the difference is the same whether the engine is hot and has been running, as it is when the engine is Cold and has been sitting for a long time, then you know for certain that your CAD is precisely what you've advertised and thought it to be, a component to direct air.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:06 PM

I'm shocked I never realized this, but Bob, I have a suspicion that your "diverter" portion could be quite incorrect.

Rather, it may be more likely that the piece you put on simply blocks the hot air dispelled from the Radiator and A/C condensor from getting into the intake stream quite so easily. Effect is desired of course, but if this is true, it really changes the entire perspective of the modification, and perhaps, gives some better ideas for modification.

Of course, this is a measure of semantics because really, "cold" is simply the abesence of heat.

This can be tested though, but you'd have to remove the CAD again for testing.

Monitor static IAT when engine is cold, and hasn't been running, then start up, monitor IAT, then drive at various speeds noting IAT.

Then park car let it cool back off 100%. Install CAD. Perform same test.

If the Idle air and initial run temps are the same (before the thermostat opens and starts running hot coolant through the Radiator) then this is precisely what this "CAD" is actually doing, diverting the HOT air AWAY from the intake stream.

If the difference is the same whether the engine is hot and has been running, as it is when the engine is Cold and has been sitting for a long time, then you know for certain that your CAD is precisely what you've advertised and thought it to be, a component to direct air.
You're correct that "CAD" diverts hot air away from the inlet area at a stop and low speeds. But if the car is moving hot air in front of the radiator (where the "CAD" mounts) is displaced by cool air from the grill. The hot air is behind the radiator "CAD" has no effect there. If "CAD" only blocked hot air at the front of the radiator. IAT would stabilize as the hot air evacuated, regardless of speed. Also since the VQ30 IAT sensor is located in the path of hot air from the radiator. The fact IAT continues to drop as speed increases tends to validate "CAD" also diverts some cool air to the inlet area. Dropping IAT close to ambient at highway speed. So I guess the answer is "CAD" does both.

Come to think of it, the rain test demonstrates "CAD" channels water to the inlet area. Air should follow the same path. And I'm sticking to that, since I don't feel like going out in the cold!
Old 03-03-2012, 10:16 PM

The numbers you quoted will vary widely from application to application though but hence your "average" so I agree. Lol I do know this about an intercooler but its funny you mention the intercooler being a give/take though because I see far more benefits than drawbacks. On a turbo set-up at high boost, if you didnt have an intercooler then your engine would simply detonate. Which begs the question...what is that threshold for a vq30 I wonder but I digress
Old 03-04-2012, 05:25 AM

You're right Pezz, it was just a thought that came up with the talk about temperature change.

And SnA,
Old 03-04-2012, 05:54 AM

You're right Pezz, it was just a thought that came up with the talk about temperature change.

And SnA,
No problem, it keeps me honest. Actually when you think of it the dual role "CAD" plays is pretty neat. If it didn't block hot air when stopped or moving slowly, it wouldn't be as effective for city driving. which is where I notice the most difference in drive-ability. The VQ30/4AT drive-train needs all the help it can get in that respect.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:13 AM

Agreed. And as a comparison to SRI, it's benefit is about 10 fold because of this static temp/low speed heat.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by BobPezz
Nice concept, but I frown on any road level inlet scheme for a DD. Road debris will clog the filter faster and when it rains water can enter the system. Both are bad for engine efficiency/performance, dirt blocks flow & water displaces air. That's why drag racers concentrate on air temp and grains of moisture when tuning. Best situation is getting the coldest/dryest air possible to the engine. Not to mention that the biggest restriction in the OEM system is the air-box inlet. Which believe it or not actually has a larger calculated inlet area than a 3" dia. tube.
i see what you mean about water possibly, i dont know about dirt though filter doesnt look any more dirty than before it.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:14 AM

i should do this................
Old 11-28-2014, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Prophecy99
i should do this................
Bumping for ^^