5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

I put a cheap plastic AutoZone scoop on my 2001 Maxima!

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000
No no Daniel-son, you need to plug in a code reader that will monitor your IAT sensor, this reader will also read the MAP sensor, which will tell you both of the important bits of info, the amount of air as well as the temperature of it.
Yes Master. I was thinking it would be nice to get the temp and airflow data from the ECU today at work. To see exactly what my Gizmo does, if anything. "Guess great minds think alike". Where can I get a ODBII reader that'll do all this. I know the "Consult II" does everything, but I imagine it's costly. BTW; Not to be a jerk but do you mean MAP or MAF sensor?
Old 08-10-2011, 05:59 PM

I picked up an Actron OBD2 scanner from Advance Auto Parts for 100ish dollars, and it shows live data.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by BobPezz
Yes Master. I was thinking it would be nice to get the temp and airflow data from the ECU today at work. To see exactly what my Gizmo does, if anything. "Guess great minds think alike". Where can I get a ODBII reader that'll do all this. I know the "Consult II" does everything, but I imagine it's costly. BTW; Not to be a jerk but do you mean MAP or MAF sensor?
Well you want the actual pressure reading, I dont know what the generic code reader/OBD2 scanner picks up in that regard. MAP = Mass absolute pressure, which is pretty much the same thing, if not the exact same thing, as a MAFS

And search around, there are many recommended Code readers/scanners, you need to get one that can monitor live data. You'll have to pay at least $100 for a halfway decent one.
Old 08-13-2011, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000
Well you want the actual pressure reading, I dont know what the generic code reader/OBD2 scanner picks up in that regard. MAP = Mass absolute pressure, which is pretty much the same thing, if not the exact same thing, as a MAFS

And search around, there are many recommended Code readers/scanners, you need to get one that can monitor live data. You'll have to pay at least $100 for a halfway decent one.
Well I did some research and picked up the "CEN-TECH" #98614 (CAN, OBDII, EOBD) reader/scanner at "Harbor Freight". It has "live data" reading/recording abilities, so I'm going to be busy tomorrow! FYI; When plugged into the Maxima, checking through the "live data" menu, it looks like it'll read the MAF, but not MAP sensor. Anyway, It was the same price as the "Actron", and they added in a 2yr. exchange replacement warranty for free.

Last edited by BobPezz; 08-13-2011 at 03:52 PM.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:24 AM

Wow I can't believe how scientific this thread is getting! It makes sense to me unlike hood spacers or those intake turbine things. And without any drawbacks or compromises like many other cheap mods I think the Pezz Cold Air Diverter (P-CAD) just went on my list!
Old 08-14-2011, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by maxsmooth
Wow I can't believe how scientific this thread is getting! It makes sense to me unlike hood spacers or those intake turbine things. And without any drawbacks or compromises like many other cheap mods I think the Pezz Cold Air Diverter (P-CAD) just went on my list!
It's going to get really technical really soon. I read through the scanner manual and it has some nice data logging features. Plus I got it to link up to my computer so I can download the data files. Too bad it rained today here in RI. there wasn't much point testing in the rain. Since it'd keep the under-hood temperatures cool. Next warm dry day, it's going to get interesting.

BTW; just call the Gizmo a "Cool Air Diverter" or "CAD" if you prefer. Keep it simple (like "CAI", "GAB", "SRI", etc.) leaving out the "Pezz" part. I'm not that vain!
Old 08-14-2011, 05:52 PM

Tilt the head back and it spits out cooler air for your intake at very minimal cost.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by spock
Tilt the head back and it spits out cooler air for your intake at very minimal cost.
Good idea. Reduce the angle of attack of the airflow on the scoop
Old 08-15-2011, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by T_Behr904
Good idea. Reduce the angle of attack of the airflow on the scoop
It's tough to see in the pictures, but has a decent angle of attack. It's angled at the top (by protractor) approx 6Odeg from horizontal, is parallel with the angled part of the radiator support, and clears the hood latch, top grill brace and grill-bar by only about 1/4". Since it's got a built in curve, the bottom is almost parallel with the grill-bar/incoming air. I designed it to get the most angle of attack possible as a bolt on mod. Can't tilt the top back/bottom forward much more, without interference with the rad support/grill.

Last edited by BobPezz; 08-15-2011 at 04:47 AM.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:12 PM

I was refering to a "Pezz" dispenser. But I'm sure you knew that.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:32 PM

I was refering to a "Pezz" dispenser. But I'm sure you knew that.
IIRC the dispenser was called PEZ only 1 Z. I knew that and have been confused with it all my life. At least my alter ego "nickname" got 15 mins. of fame on Seinfeld.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:53 PM

If you're criticizing NACA ducts you're totally wrong they work well. If you're referring to the "Cool Air Diverter", apparently real world testing beats your physics!"

i was going along with this thread untill i read this ^^^

i didnt see any datalogging to support your theory???

when i do logs on my evo, i back up comparisons with real data (ex. temp drop,no knock etc)

im not saying you're not noticing a difference, but i didnt see you post any hard numbers to "beat" physics.

carry on.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by 5 ltr. beater
i was going along with this thread untill i read this ^^^

i didnt see any datalogging to support your theory???

when i do logs on my evo, i back up comparisons with real data (ex. temp drop,no knock etc)

im not saying you're not noticing a difference, but i didnt see you post any hard numbers to "beat" physics.

carry on.
I did some research and picked up the "CEN-TECH" #98614 (CAN, OBDII, EOBD) reader/scanner at "Harbor Freight". It has "live data" reading/recording abilities. I read through the scanner manual and it has some nice data logging features. Plus I got it to link up to my computer so I can download the data files. Too bad it's been raining here in RI. There isn't much point testing in the rain. Since it'd keep the under-hood temperatures cool. Next warm dry day, there will be more testing done. FYI; When plugged into the Maxima, checking through the "live data" menu, it looks like it'll read the MAF, but not MAP sensor. It's going to get really technical really soon. "Stay tuned to this channel, for more news following the break!"
Old 08-17-2011, 10:21 AM

sounds good. staying tuned.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:45 PM

"Cool Air DIverter" - Test Data

Here's the "Cool Air Diverter" Test Data. Downloaded from the OBD scanner. Tests were run using "cruise control" to remove my right foot as a variable. It appears to "work as advertised". Draw your own conclusion.

Last edited by BobPezz; 08-18-2011 at 04:09 AM.
Old 08-18-2011, 05:43 AM

Here's the "Cool Air Diverter" Test Data. Downloaded from the OBD scanner. Tests were run using "cruise control" to remove my right foot as a variable. It appears to "work as advertised". Draw your own conclusion.
thanks for all the info Bob.....this will summarize the results(IAT)......

Old 08-18-2011, 06:11 AM

At first glance, you might think the IAT readings would be more significant when moving, than when standing still. But if you think about it, heat-soak occurs when you're not moving. Anyway, to be quite honest, I didn't expect this. Good for the OP actually running quantitative testing. This whole thread was pretty borderline silly until those numbers got posted.

I seem to remember a general rule-of-thumb, which is that every 10 degree drop in air temperature equates to roughly 1% gain in HP. This is the math (such as it is) behind the gains in the Phenolic Intake Spacers. Anyway, if you apply that relationship to the drop in temps shown here, that equates to a 1-3 gain in HP.

You know, if I still had my stock air-box configured under the hood, I'd probably install this little diverter, too.

I hope people realize that it's only effective with a stock air-box. As soon as you GAB the intake, or replace it with a SRI, the diverter becomes pointless.

Last edited by Rochester; 08-18-2011 at 06:25 AM.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Rochester
At first glance, you might think the IAT readings would be more significant when moving, than when standing still. But if you think about it, heat-soak occurs when you're not moving. Anyway, to be quite honest, I didn't expect this. Good for the OP actually running quantitative testing. This whole thread was pretty borderline silly until those numbers got posted.

I seem to remember a general rule-of-thumb, which is that every 10 degree drop in air temperature equates to roughly 1% gain in HP. This is the math (such as it is) behind the gains in the Phenolic Intake Spacers. Anyway, if you apply that relationship to the drop in temps shown here, that equates to a 1-3 gain in HP.

You know, if I still had my stock air-box configured under the hood, I'd probably install this little diverter, too.

I hope people realize that it's only effective with a stock air-box. As soon as you GAB the intake, or replace it with a SRI, the diverter becomes pointless.
True enough, that this data applies to the OEM snorkel/airbox configuration. However, in theory, it could be applied a SRI as well. I.E. use the "Cool Air Diverter"/OEM snorkel with a length of flexi-duct to channel cool air to the SRI filter area behind the battery. Or(after looking at my OEM air-box)it may be possible to "mod" the side of the OEM box(with some clever engineering expertise)to accept the SRI filter. Seal it from the hot under-hood air, to minimize heat-soak and get cooler air to the SRI via the "Cool Air Diverter"/OEM snorkel setup. With no need to cut holes in the fender or relocate the battery.

Last edited by BobPezz; 08-18-2011 at 12:51 PM.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:16 PM

More "Cool Air Diverter" Pictures!

Now that the test data has vindicated my "Cool Air Diverter" from the category of "snake oil". When it was off the car I took some closeup pictures of the "Gizmo". For others who'd like to fabricate a "Cool Air Diverter" of their own. ON A CAUTIONARY NOTE! BEFORE drilling holes in the radiator support, or mounting the device. Remove the clips holding the main wiring harness(under the radiator support) and move it out of the way. If it's drilled or screwed into it would probably be a disastrous/costly situation to fix.

Not to disappoint all those who thought this thread was going in another direction. Here is the picture most people expected to see when "I Put A Cheap Plastic AutoZone Scoop On My 2001 Maxima!" Of course, it's on the hood!!!!! (sorry couldn't resist)

Bottom view ("TransAm" style)

L Side view with detail of cutout for the top of the grill.

R Side view with clearance for the hood latch.

Back View

Front View

Top View

Bottom View

If you notice; The "Cool Air Diverter" has a compound curve and divergent duct characteristics to encourage high volume/low velocity airflow. As said in a prior post it's set at approx. 60deg from horizontal roughly 1/4" from the grill bar/top. Matching the angle Nissan put on the radiator support for airflow to the OEM snorkel. Combined with the curve it amounts to a decent angle of attack for channeling extra cool air from the grill opening to where Nissan intended air to enter the snorkel. Enjoy the Mod!

Last edited by BobPezz; 08-18-2011 at 01:03 PM.
Old 08-18-2011, 01:21 PM

Damn, I'm with Roch, gotta give it to the OP for seeing this through. Hell, it's worth a shot.
Old 08-18-2011, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Nexus67
Damn, I'm with Roch, gotta give it to the OP for seeing this through. Hell, it's worth a shot.
I also think this thread heavily laden with hyperbole, and that the OP is one strange cat indeed.

Any agreement with that observation?
Old 08-18-2011, 02:44 PM

I also think this thread heavily laden with hyperbole, and that the OP is one strange cat indeed.

Lol, I think he knows and just doesn't give a <expletive>!
Old 08-18-2011, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Nexus67
Lol, I think he knows and just doesn't give a <expletive>!
Hyperbole, I beg to differ, I made no outlandish claims. Only deduced that the gizmo lowered inlet air temp. Strange, I'll give you that one! Been called that (among other less complimentary things) before. Knows and just doesn't give a <expletive>. Absolutely on target!

Forgive my unorthodox approach, maybe it comes from reading too many dry boring "informative" and research threads. I wanted to inject a bit of excitement, humor and suspense into this project, to keep it interesting. Borderline silly... Perhaps! But it did stimulate some discussions, "thinking out of the box", and sharing ideas/information among people with a common interest. Isn't that why the .org exists, correct me if I'm wrong?

Last edited by BobPezz; 08-18-2011 at 07:03 PM.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:08 PM

Hyperbole, I beg to differ, I made no outlandish claims. Only deduced that the gizmo lowered inlet air temp. Strange, I'll give you that one! Been called that (among other less complimentary things) before. Knows and just doesn't give a <expletive>. Absolutely on target!

Forgive my unorthodox approach, maybe it comes from reading too many dry boring "informative" and research threads. I wanted to inject a bit of excitement, humor and suspense into this project, to keep it interesting. Borderline silly... Perhaps! But it did stimulate some discussions, "thinking out of the box", and sharing ideas/information among people with a common interest. Isn't that why the .org exists, correct me if I'm wrong?
Don't let the haters get you down! Coming up with ideas and experimenting with them is fun. If no one ever came up with ideas, we would all be still living in caves.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:35 PM

Oh don't take it the wrong way (different can be good as you suggest). That's why I respect you not giving a <expletive> lol

Besides, there's something to be admired in someone who goes against the
grain and comes up w/ something new (and does their own testing at that)
Old 08-18-2011, 07:37 PM

I heart this thread

Well donesir!
Old 08-18-2011, 07:47 PM

I support the OP's efforts. Good for you! Theory, practical, test ,results and proof. Way to go!.
Tuner, your comment is a little . .
Old 08-19-2011, 05:32 AM

Don't let the haters get you down!
I really need to stop using big words like, "hyperbole".

Bob gets thumbs-up for thinking of something simple and effective like this.

Last edited by Rochester; 08-19-2011 at 05:49 AM.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:18 AM

so whats the actual part you purchased? does it have to be at autozone.

the numbers... show the proof. I am sold and may try this before drilling GAB holes.

well done op for sticking with an idea, and actually testing it so thoroughly.. pretty impressive.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Prophecy99

the numbers... show the proof. I am sold and may try this before drilling GAB holes.

well done op for sticking with an idea, and actually testing it so thoroughly.. pretty impressive.
being on the stock air box, I will defiantly do this. I found this on Autozone.com

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...ier=65672_0_0_

May be OP can confirm if this is the right part......
Old 08-19-2011, 02:51 PM

Bob gets thumbs-up for thinking of something simple and effective like this.
hyperbole
[hahy-pur-buh-lee] noun Rhetoric.
1. obvious and intentional exaggeration.

Seriously though,
Thanks for the compliment. It really wasn't such a stretch for me. A lifetime ago I worked for 25 yrs. as "Prototype Machinist" in the High Reliability/Military & Aerospace Div. of a RI. based sensor manufacturer. In the process I learned a lot of "stuff" from engineers, technicians, and rocket scientists(really). FYI; The Last project I worked on was for JPL's "Mars Rovers". Before the company was bought and outsourced to China/Mexico. Short story, I went back to school at 50 got a AAS degree for Occupational Therapy Assistant. And now work in a nursing home helping old folks re-learn how to wipe their butts. So maybe I've got some self-esteem issues!

Last edited by BobPezz; 08-21-2011 at 05:57 AM.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by sud123
being on the stock air box, I will defiantly do this. I found this on Autozone.com

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...ier=65672_0_0_

May be OP can confirm if this is the right part......
That's the one. Good luck with your mod! Feel free to ask me questions if you have any problems.
Old 08-19-2011, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by sud123
thanks for all the info Bob.....this will summarize the results(IAT)......

Thank you! For your excellent work on the distribution/summary.

I've been going over "CAD" raw data I uploaded and noticed an interesting correlation between LOAD_PCT(%), MAF(lb/min), and TP(%) parameters. That may prove/disprove my claim of needing less throttle. They also seem to suspiciously point toward "CAD" possibly improving airflow. Would you do another distribution/summary on them as a disinterested 3rd. party? To confirm/deny this theory.
Old 08-19-2011, 03:51 PM

Thanks,

The biggest dilemma I had was sitting on the fence deciding if "shelling out" the $$$ for the OBD scanner was worth it. But after seeing it's capabilities and ease of use, it was a worthwhile investment. FYI; The raw data I uploaded is only a few of the data set capabilities/options. I'd recommend the unit to anyone REALLY interested in what's going on under the hood.
Old 08-19-2011, 03:57 PM

Don't let the haters get you down! Coming up with ideas and experimenting with them is fun. If no one ever came up with ideas, we would all be still living in caves.
Relax, I'm cool with it all. In fact anything I post that MAY sound malicious is probably "tongue in cheek!"

"You wouldn't like me when I'm mad".
Old 08-19-2011, 04:04 PM

I support the OP's efforts. Good for you! Theory, practical, test ,results and proof. Way to go!.
Tuner, your comment is a little . .
Thanks,

But you forgot to mention my "Outstanding" Fabrication, Hypothetical, and Observational Reasoning Skills!"
OUCH...I just hit my swelled up head on the walls!!!

Last edited by BobPezz; 08-20-2011 at 04:31 AM.
Old 08-19-2011, 04:32 PM

Thanks,
See post #72 re:http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...ier=65672_0_0_
Old 08-19-2011, 06:53 PM

Don't stop being yourself, stick with your style.
Old 08-19-2011, 06:57 PM

Thanks,

The biggest dilemma I had was sitting on the fence deciding if "shelling out" the $$$ for the OBD scanner was worth it. But after seeing it's capabilities and ease of use, it was a worthwhile investment. FYI; The raw data I uploaded is only a few of the data set capabilities/options. I'd recommend the unit to anyone REALLY interested in what's going on under the hood.
It's always a good idea to have an OBD scanner with any car that's out of warranty.
Old 08-20-2011, 07:45 AM

Thank you! For your excellent work on the distribution/summary.

I've been going over "CAD" raw data I uploaded and noticed an interesting correlation between LOAD_PCT(%), MAF(lb/min), and TP(%) parameters. That may prove/disprove my claim of needing less throttle. They also seem to suspiciously point toward "CAD" possibly improving airflow. Would you do another distribution/summary on them as a disinterested 3rd. party? To confirm/deny this theory.
I tabulated the info LOAD_PCT(%), MAF, IAT & TP(%), you can download it here http://www.mediafire.com/?horbbdtsp2895hc

I observed that the MAF (lb/min) at idle has increased by 6.67% with the CAD. This means the air is cooler and denser with CAD.

Quick Reply: I put a cheap plastic AutoZone scoop on my 2001 Maxima!