5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Rattling noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 04:22 AM

Rattling noise

Ok here is the deal. i have a rattling noise coming from my front right side. thought it was a blown strut but my car isnt bounce and the car does not sit low on that side. i recently replaced both inner and outer tie rods on that side. talk to a few guys and one said it might be the ball joint. any other suggestions on what it could be?
Old 03-12-2007, 05:26 AM
♠♠♠♠♠

right side where? the wheel itself?

When does the rattle happen, what rpm's, or does it rattle regardless of speed and such?
Old 03-12-2007, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by MacGarnicle
right side where? the wheel itself?

When does the rattle happen, what rpm's, or does it rattle regardless of speed and such?
yea sorry about that. the rattle comes from the suspension on the right side in the front. it does not matter what rpm or speed i am at as the noise comes only when i go over bumps or drive on less then average roads and things like that. i also do not feel any play in the steering or pulling if that helps.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:45 AM

i have the same thing happening, i recently had both front axles replaced too. the noise was there before i got them replaced and the noise is still there. its really loud on a cold engine, and then i can barely hear it when the car is warmed up..sound is there if i go straight or turn ... any advice?
Old 03-12-2007, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by klee215
i have the same thing happening, i recently had both front axles replaced too. the noise was there before i got them replaced and the noise is still there. its really loud on a cold engine, and then i can barely hear it when the car is warmed up..sound is there if i go straight or turn ... any advice?
the noise on my car has nothing to do with the engine being warm or cold or with the engine at all.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Nissanx54
yea sorry about that. the rattle comes from the suspension on the right side in the front. it does not matter what rpm or speed i am at as the noise comes only when i go over bumps or drive on less then average roads and things like that. i also do not feel any play in the steering or pulling if that helps.
I've got the same problem with my car. It's not a loud noise. It almost sounds like the exhaust is slightly hitting the the underside of the car but the noise comes from the right front of the car. I checked the exhaust to just make sure but I couldn't see where it was hitting anything and I couldn't duplicate the noise even when I shook the exhaust. So I've ruled out the exhaust. My noise is most notable at lower speeds when I'm going over any kind of surface that is irregular (bumpy). It doesn't matter if I'm turning or not.

I'm guessing that it might be a problem with the strut. Does anybody out there know???
Old 03-12-2007, 11:35 AM

Teddie you just describe my problem to the tee.. i do have tein S and grb2 on my car and my car sits very low.. barely 2 finger gap, let mme know if u find the problem
Old 03-12-2007, 12:51 PM

the rattling noise on my car makes the noisy on bumpy roads no matter what speed or rpm range. it could be a road with very little bumps and it would still make the noise. I should also mention that the noise on my car seems to be a suspension problem it doesnt have anything to do with the engine and its not bottoming out because the car is not yet lowered
Old 03-12-2007, 06:32 PM

Its your strut mount. You need to replace it. I have the same clunk/rattle and thats what my problem is and from what I am told its pretty common.
Old 03-12-2007, 06:41 PM

Same prob here, Going to replace the strut mount tomorrow, If it cures it, Ill let you know and we will have a answer to this mysterious rattle.

BTW, I purchased new kyb strut mounts from where i work, there about $30 , I sure hope this solves my problem, its driving me nuts, it almost sounds as if the wheel is gona fall off as iam lightly braking it rattles pretty bad.
Old 03-13-2007, 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by Professor`
Same prob here, Going to replace the strut mount tomorrow, If it cures it, Ill let you know and we will have a answer to this mysterious rattle.

BTW, I purchased new kyb strut mounts from where i work, there about $30 , I sure hope this solves my problem, its driving me nuts, it almost sounds as if the wheel is gona fall off as iam lightly braking it rattles pretty bad.
you doing the replacement yourself?
Old 03-13-2007, 09:11 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Wow, really glad I came around right when I did. Exact same noise from the exact same area. When I changed my oil a few weeks ago, I couldn't see anything...not that I really know many area to look. Nothing looked lose or moved. Maybe I'll bring it to the mechanic on in a few days. Would like to maybe know what it is first though.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Nissanx54
you doing the replacement yourself?
Yep i replaced them, But the noise is still there.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:23 PM

Well i installed the new strut mounts, took me a bout a hour, The noise is not as prominent was it was before, its still there so iam thinking its either a sway bar link, sway bar bushing, or the strut itself is just worn out, however the strut still functions and stays up when i had it off so its hard to tell, my next project is replacing the struts to see what happens, If that dont solve it, It has to be swaybar link or bushings, i ruled out ball joint and tie rod since there is no play what so ever , Ill keep you informed,it will be a few weeks till i get the new struts, maybe after the 30th, ill keep ya posted.
Old 03-13-2007, 03:42 PM

Well i installed the new strut mounts, took me a bout a hour, The noise is not as prominent was it was before, its still there so iam thinking its either a sway bar link, sway bar bushing, or the strut itself is just worn out, however the strut still functions and stays up when i had it off so its hard to tell, my next project is replacing the struts to see what happens, If that dont solve it, It has to be swaybar link or bushings, i ruled out ball joint and tie rod since there is no play what so ever , Ill keep you informed,it will be a few weeks till i get the new struts, maybe after the 30th, ill keep ya posted.
Thanks for the info. Keep us informed.
Old 03-13-2007, 05:01 PM

I got a clunk under the car too doesnt matter what speed.Im pretty sure its the exhaust line banging on the crossmember.
Old 03-13-2007, 06:05 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i had a rattling noise in my left front and it was indeed the strut.. it sounded like the tire was dribbling on the ground.. but my car was also very bouncy.. and u said urs wasnt.. as for everyone sayin stuff about the exhaust... no luck there either.. mine broke once at the flanges.. had to replace muffler.. and now one of the arms that supports the pipe in the center of the car broke.. had it temporarily fixed with a U clamp but that has come undone and it is clanking again... these maximas... im not impressed so far..
Old 03-13-2007, 07:30 PM

well i tried something stupid later today, I mounted a stick camera facing the strut, hooked up a 12v vcr, took it for a ride and well i found out i was not so stupid, it is indeed the strut itself, its worn out, so far since i had the car, i had to replace the muffler, <the flange rusted> and the right rear caliper seized, simple fixes, general maintenece issues. so far i love my car.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:45 PM

stabilizer bar endlinks and endlink bushings...fixed the problem now it rides completely quiet...it almost sounded like popcorn popping when you drove over somewhat smooth roads with little bumps right? if so that should be the problem. also check the strut mounts, i replaced these at the same time just to save some problems in the future. good luck lemme kno if that takes care of it
Old 03-14-2007, 04:21 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

What about vibrations?, I had some clunking in the rear and replaced the struts and tower mounts and problem solved, but I still have a vibration coming from somewhere. Tires are balanced, rotors are brand new with calpiers and pads. Has anyone had or heard of such a vibration at highway speed over 100 km/hr?? Thanks!
Old 03-14-2007, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by jagendron85
i had a rattling noise in my left front and it was indeed the strut.. it sounded like the tire was dribbling on the ground.. but my car was also very bouncy.. and u said urs wasnt.. as for everyone sayin stuff about the exhaust... no luck there either.. mine broke once at the flanges.. had to replace muffler.. and now one of the arms that supports the pipe in the center of the car broke.. had it temporarily fixed with a U clamp but that has come undone and it is clanking again... these maximas... im not impressed so far..
When I read your post I think I got the same problem.Seems its not the exhaust line but possibly a strut..cause ive shaked the exhaust line from behind with my hand it doesnt not seem to be clunking on the crossmember.I dont find my max to be bouncy though...How much does replacing a front left strut goes for??
Old 03-14-2007, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Fox_90
What about vibrations?, I had some clunking in the rear and replaced the struts and tower mounts and problem solved, but I still have a vibration coming from somewhere. Tires are balanced, rotors are brand new with calpiers and pads. Has anyone had or heard of such a vibration at highway speed over 100 km/hr?? Thanks!
Might be a bent iron rim??I got my tires balanced with the iron rims this automn and since one is a little bent I got a slight vibration over 90kmh too.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:32 PM

Sway Bar Link Kit/Monroe Struts

Welp I work at Advance Auto parts, I can get the Monroe Sena Trac Struts for $101 Each with my 20% discount, i still thinks this is abit pricy for my tastes but on the other hand, a sway bark link kit is only $10 with a lifetime warrenty so when it dies you get another one free.
Old 03-15-2007, 05:02 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I got mine for $105 a piece through napa... depends where u live... i can find things cheaper usually in california.. i live in maine.. so maximas arent as common up here..
Old 03-15-2007, 09:59 PM

I have the same exact problem, I have so far replaced the endlinks, mounts, bearings, and the strut - the problem is still there.......

I hear these pop-pop-pop sounds at speeds less than 40 when going over small bumps - passenger side front is definitely where the noise comes from. It has nothing to do with turning, I have been told that the bearings are fine.
Old 03-16-2007, 10:25 AM

The only other thing it can possibly be is the lower control arm bushings. if that dont solve it, then iam at a loss.
Old 03-16-2007, 02:11 PM

Ok now my condition must be a loose exhaust.. because in the warm weather i dont hear the sound . and if i lunge the car forwward i can hear it knocking on something..
Old 03-16-2007, 07:39 PM

I hear mine more in the cold...could be just my imagination though.
Old 03-19-2007, 03:00 PM

Well its not the sway bar links or the strut mounts, The rear control arm bushing has 2 bolts holding it on, they where kinda loose, I tightend them and the noise is still there, So far i replaced the Strut mount, Sway bar links, Still its there, it has to be a bum strut or a control arm bushing, it almost sounds as if the noise is comming from the trut mount, since i replaced it, its not that, it has to be the strut, as i posted earlier, in a few weeks ill be replaceing the struts and then ill let ya know if that solves it.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:10 PM

Well its not the sway bar links or the strut mounts, The rear control arm bushing has 2 bolts holding it on, they where kinda loose, I tightend them and the noise is still there, So far i replaced the Strut mount, Sway bar links, Still its there, it has to be a bum strut or a control arm bushing, it almost sounds as if the noise is comming from the trut mount, since i replaced it, its not that, it has to be the strut, as i posted earlier, in a few weeks ill be replaceing the struts and then ill let ya know if that solves it.
Thanks for the update.
Old 03-20-2007, 12:28 AM

Dude, good luck - in my case the it was not the strut.

I read here somwhere, one dude's problem was solved by replacing the blown motor mount. You never know with these cars....

Old 03-20-2007, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Teddie18
Thanks for the update.
Not a problem, Ill be out in pittsburgh in 2 weeks if ya want to see it
Old 03-20-2007, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by q45Owner
Dude, good luck - in my case the it was not the strut.

I read here somwhere, one dude's problem was solved by replacing the blown motor mount. You never know with these cars....

Ahh really ? ill have to look into that. thanks for the info.
Old 03-28-2007, 04:37 PM

*(@^%*(@#^%@#$*%@#&*(

Ahhhhhh I cant stand it anymore, Its driving me up a wall, wtf is making this god for saken noise >< I got a trip on April 5th to pittsburgh and i hope this dont impair the car on the way out.
Old 03-28-2007, 04:55 PM
retired moderator

the first thing to check on all 5th gen maximas getting a rattle are the heat shields around the exhaust manifolds and the cat......almost everybody gets rattles from them, and they sound like they're coming from the suspension.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by irish44j
the first thing to check on all 5th gen maximas getting a rattle are the heat shields around the exhaust manifolds and the cat......almost everybody gets rattles from them, and they sound like they're coming from the suspension.
Uh.....Doh!
Old 03-29-2007, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by irish44j
i would have never thought about the heat shield. i'm gonna have to check that out.
Old 03-29-2007, 06:20 AM

I dont think its a heat shield, To make that kinda noise it dont seem to be possible that its a heat shield, But ive been known to be wrong, Also its just another thing i can look into before i turn completely gray.
Old 03-29-2007, 07:54 PM

So how do you diagnose if the strut has gone bad?

My car also has a clanking noise, the car pulls to the side of the noise, and feels a little odd when cornering. Almost like it wants to slide into the turn. This feel is only slight though. However when I when going over a bump the car rebounds evenly.

I was thinking of taking the car to Midas and have them look at it. At least to tell me if the strut that has gone bad.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:17 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by waltj2k
So how do you diagnose if the strut has gone bad?

My car also has a clanking noise, the car pulls to the side of the noise, and feels a little odd when cornering. Almost like it wants to slide into the turn. This feel is only slight though. However when I when going over a bump the car rebounds evenly.

I was thinking of taking the car to Midas and have them look at it. At least to tell me if the strut that has gone bad.
don't take it to freakin' Midas. Take it to a shop that (at very least) has some techs that know what they're doing. I'm sure one of your local org'ers can suggest one to you.

Quick Reply: Rattling noise