5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Rattling noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by irish44j
don't take it to freakin' Midas. Take it to a shop that (at very least) has some techs that know what they're doing. I'm sure one of your local org'ers can suggest one to you.
Strangely enough I have asked for a recommendation for a shop in Dallas.

I've gotten zero response, which is strange since the board used to have a heavy Dallas contingent. I guess everyone in Big D that owns a Maxima turns their own wrenches.
Old 03-30-2007, 07:39 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Yep I've got the same problem, rattle/clunk under the car and i already replaced sway bar end links and bushings, and a polyurethane control arm bushing set from Energy Suspension...still making the noise, weird thing is i can almost feel it through the floorboard in the drivers side
Old 03-30-2007, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by carsarecool
Yep I've got the same problem, rattle/clunk under the car and i already replaced sway bar end links and bushings, and a polyurethane control arm bushing set from Energy Suspension...still making the noise, weird thing is i can almost feel it through the floorboard in the drivers side

Yep i know what you mean, it can be felt through the floor on the passenger side, makes you wonder if its a bushing or balljoint, I had a 88 eagle premier that did the same thing and it was the ball joint, it was hard to diagnose since there was no play whatsoever till i went to replace the control arm bushings and it just fell out of the socket, the hole was ovaled and rusted to hell , Fixed that prob but the max is a diff story, Ill continue to mix grease and blood till i figure out what the hell the cause is, Till then, hang tight, ill keep you posted.
Old 03-30-2007, 11:07 AM

Oh my freaking GOD

It all seems to make sense now, Its extremely nice outside today, So outa boredom i went out and banged on the wheel and i can hear the rattle, And like i said before it seems to do it at low speeds and while lightly braking, Just from me banging on the wheel it would appear to be the caliber bracket, Now dont get your hopes up yet, Iam going out after this post to pull the wheel and see if anything is amiss, ie loose or missing bolts, If this is the cause iam gona fall off a cliff face first into jagged rocks and then beat my face off some random lockers or something because i will feel really retarded if that is the prob, gimme a few hours to get it apart and see, Ill post my findings soon as i get it back together and i clean up
Old 03-30-2007, 12:12 PM

Got My hopes up for nothing

Well it was not the bracket to my disappointment but i did see on the control arm bushing a small gap behind the big nut, i can stick a screw driver in the gap and move the entire control arm back and forth on the mounts so iam assuming it has to be the bushings, i an pop out the screw driver as iam moving it back and forth and it makes the noise and i can also hear the heat shield on the exhaust resonate abit . It would seem that the play in the control arm and from it hitting the mounts is what is making all the noise, heh where i work they dont even have a listing for the bushings but are web site does, the poly ones iam gona get but there damn expensive, I would like to know if anyone of you members happens to have poly control arm bushings for a 2000 Maxima for sale, if you do please send me a message with info.
Old 04-02-2007, 06:15 AM

Cattman does, call him up i got a poly set for $54 plus a couple bucks shipping but it didnt fix the problem! lol
Old 04-02-2007, 07:04 AM

Cattman does, call him up i got a poly set for $54 plus a couple bucks shipping but it didnt fix the problem! lol
Uggghhhh i dident want to hear that it dident fix the prob UGGHHHH ARRRGGHHHH what the crap can it be ><>><
Old 04-05-2007, 07:11 AM

Found these one ebay, seem like there nice
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Pair-...ayphotohosting
But are they worth it ?

Old 04-11-2007, 07:03 PM

I just got my car, and it's a certified Nissan, and it makes this same mysterious noise. It's going back to the dealer, I'd like to know what it could potentially be before I take it there and get screwed.
Old 04-12-2007, 06:25 AM

Aw definetly dude, cause then you can harass them about fixing it til its fixed for free...take advantage of that and let us know what it was!
Old 04-13-2007, 07:51 PM

So I called the dealership that has my car today, they've narrowed it down to mainly the stabilizer bar bushings/ends and they are also replacing the inner tie rod ends, apparently they weren't in the greatest of condition either, slightly worn and not what they would consider certified vehicle quality. I'll have the car back on Monday if all goes well and I'll be sure to update everyone.
Old 04-14-2007, 08:11 AM

ugh ugh ugh its not the sway bar links, the dealer dont know what there doing, i replaced mine, sound is still there, i replaced the strut mounts, sound still there, I have no play in the inner or outer tie rods, The only thing it could be is the control arm bushings. Have them look at those also.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:28 PM

Dude, was it fixed or not?

Thanks

Originally Posted by armor_dan
So I called the dealership that has my car today, they've narrowed it down to mainly the stabilizer bar bushings/ends and they are also replacing the inner tie rod ends, apparently they weren't in the greatest of condition either, slightly worn and not what they would consider certified vehicle quality. I'll have the car back on Monday if all goes well and I'll be sure to update everyone.
Old 04-28-2007, 08:47 PM

Sorry for the delay, but yeah, the problem is fixed, except they misaligned the car and said the tires had to "set in", and they did, but it's only about 80% better, and it has to go back for realignment. But the problem was a combo of the 2. Mainly the stabilizer bar bushings. I hope this helps everybody.
Old 04-30-2007, 03:38 PM

anyone ever thought about checking the transaxle?
Old 05-22-2007, 05:57 PM

Found It!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After ripping the entire front end apart and messing around, I found out the cause, there is a drive shaft carrier bearing in there and that is the prob, nearly impossible to find anywhere, i cant find one, IF Anyone knows where to get one Please let me know.
Old 05-22-2007, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Professor`
After ripping the entire front end apart and messing around, I found out the cause, there is a drive shaft carrier bearing in there and that is the prob, nearly impossible to find anywhere, i cant find one, IF Anyone knows where to get one Please let me know.
What makes you think it's that? What's the condition of it. Please Pm me. I will have to bring mine in too to have a look as it just started doing it
Old 05-22-2007, 06:54 PM

Ugh crap thats gotta be a lot of work to get to right? Mine is real bad now, i was thinking motor mounts because it seems to get worse when a load is put on the engine. Like if i'm cruising in 5th and start to climb a hill and push the gas, i can feel it more in the floorboard. However its also really noisy over bumps still, so...
Old 05-22-2007, 07:29 PM

Ugh crap thats gotta be a lot of work to get to right? Mine is real bad now, i was thinking motor mounts because it seems to get worse when a load is put on the engine. Like if i'm cruising in 5th and start to climb a hill and push the gas, i can feel it more in the floorboard. However its also really noisy over bumps still, so...
Its not to bad to get to, you have to take the wheel off, the stut etc and the plastic cover there on the side, its not extremly hard to get at.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:44 PM

Oh ok that doesnt sound so bad, is that definetly the cause though you think?
Old 06-02-2007, 09:36 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Dam Rattle

Hello Ladies and Gents. I have a 2000 i30t, which is the same as the Maxima. My brother owns a body shop and all the tools possible to tear apart any car. I have read all of your replies and suggestions but still no solution to this mystery sound (Damm It).

The swear bar link is not it because I disconnecting both sway bar links and test drove it. The sound was still there. I even changed the sway bar bushings and ensured these two were clamped down properly. I changed the strut, mounts, and the plastic bearing (which i couldn't believe it was plastic) with no improvement on the mystery sound.

I recently read "Professors'" post and changed the transaxle (refurbished) with negative results, the dam rattle was still there. I inspected the shaft carrier and it was in excellent working order.

I removed the front bumper, thinking that it might be lose, test drove it and dam it, the rattle was still there. I removed the hood of the car, test drove it and the DAM noise was still there.

I love this car and all the maxima's out there. But this dam rattle is driving nuts. Once I find this rattle, I will make my second posting to you all on how to fix it.
Old 06-16-2007, 06:41 PM

Fixed ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !noise Gone ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Its OFFICIAL!!!!!!!! I FIxed the DAMN RATTLE, I just installed 2 Brand new struts today, Went for a ride, ITS SILENT!!!!!!!!!! Iam Impressed, the car rides so nice now, the rattle is gone, I previously thought it was the carrier bearing, i was wrong, Struts had 116k miles on them, the ride was rough, so i got new ones and iam basin in the glory of a quiet ride once again.
Old 06-17-2007, 12:10 PM

Nice, I'm gonna try that too but I dont know what kind to get, whether to get OEM's or KYB's or spend more $$ on Tokicos. Did yours seem to get worse pushing on the gas pedal or accelerating up a hill?
Old 06-17-2007, 07:36 PM

Nice, I'm gonna try that too but I dont know what kind to get, whether to get OEM's or KYB's or spend more $$ on Tokicos. Did yours seem to get worse pushing on the gas pedal or accelerating up a hill?

Do Not GET KYBS, They always break, I work at Advance Auto Parts and they always get returned within a week because they blow out or fail.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:21 AM

no ****, I work at autozone lol well I did for a year and a half and still keep in contact with everyone there but it's too far...so probably for the price of OEM struts, can get a better aftermarket replacement eh? I've got 113k on the car, had it since 55k so they have at least that many miles if not the original struts.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:44 PM

no ****, I work at autozone lol well I did for a year and a half and still keep in contact with everyone there but it's too far...so probably for the price of OEM struts, can get a better aftermarket replacement eh? I've got 113k on the car, had it since 55k so they have at least that many miles if not the original struts.
So far iam satisfied with oem struts, i plan on lowering it with a eibach set and with the new oems struts it will be rather simple.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:29 PM

Ok I'm wondering if we have the same rattle, mine is getting worse and worse and i can definetly feel *something* from the floorboards in the drivers side. However getting under the car, everythings tight, exhaust, brackets etc., and now I've got this grinding noise that seems to coincide. Its like a rubbing/whirring noise when I take off in 1st and 2nd gear, no other time. I'm about ready to just take it in
Old 09-06-2007, 01:01 PM

I having clanking noise on my rear right side when I go over bumps or uneven roads. It sounds like something is loose and is falling off. When I put my car in "park", it vibrates or rattles. I looked underneath the car and everything looks intact. Could it be the muffler?
Old 09-06-2007, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by fuctkeen
I having clanking noise on my rear right side when I go over bumps or uneven roads. It sounds like something is loose and is falling off. When I put my car in "park", it vibrates or rattles. I looked underneath the car and everything looks intact. Could it be the muffler?

Could be... Check your shock mounts in the trunk and see if there loose.
Old 09-06-2007, 02:22 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Rattling sound

I have a 2002 SE.

I've been getting the rattling sound as well, expecially under load.

So is it definite it's the front struts?

I also get a whirring sound on take off - 1st and 2nd gear.

Any ideas?
Old 09-06-2007, 02:51 PM

I've been through most of what you guys have done...at the end I bought OEM struts and voila, noise was gone! I rather be at a higher height with my car than deal with that noise since it is my daily driver.
Old 09-06-2007, 05:39 PM

i found out what the problem was and it isnt the strut in my case its a bad motor mount
Old 09-07-2007, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by Professor`
Could be... Check your shock mounts in the trunk and see if there loose.

I changed my shocks yesterday and i check the strut mount. It looks fine, but the clanking noise is still there.
However, i notice my rear wheel side(the side where the noise is coming from) is about 2/3 of an inch lower than the left side.