5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

So I lowered just the front- pic

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2006, 08:48 PM
drag racing is for wussies

So I lowered just the front- pic

I am still waiting for my JIC Magic FLTA2s to come back from JIC after getting them rebuilt and getting some 600lb rear springs to get more oversteer....

In the mean time its been in the 70s here and I blew my right front shock about a month ago and its been driving me nuts... so I decided to swap out the OEM winter stuff with set of JIC Magic FLTA2s but only on the front, and kept the OEM rears for now. I also ditched my Winter 4th gen SawBlades with Blizzaks for my Volk Evolution4 Forged 18s. Setup is staggered with 18x8 front and 18x9 rear wheels and I am riding on 245-40-18 front and 265-35-18 rear Toyo T1-Rs. Supposelly Toyo came up with the T1R as their ultimate tire and the tire shop I got mine from messed up my order and got me those instead of the T1S I specified... which cost them $$$ as the Rs are more than the S. I still paid the same $$$ regardless.

I should have my rear JICs next week and I will take some better pictures. Handling wise its a NIGHT and day diff after suffering through the winter with the OEM sprigns and shocks on 205-65-15 Blizzaks. Pics make the car seem sit higher in the back than it really does.

Old 04-13-2006, 09:12 PM

looks nice mike!
Old 04-13-2006, 09:29 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

enjoy...i loved my coilovers when i had them on ride...should of kept them on and got a 2nd car for commuter.
Old 04-13-2006, 09:38 PM

come on man, you can go lower then that
Old 04-13-2006, 10:03 PM

i like the way that looks..
Old 04-14-2006, 12:10 AM

y asame here it looks cool with front lower then the back
Old 04-14-2006, 05:06 AM

I do not wanna go any lower than that. I might actually raise the front a lil bit as there is still too much bump steer from being this low. Originally when I let the car off the lift at work, suspension settled and the front wheels where tucked in in a way that the fender and the lip of my rim where even- and I had less than 1" ground clearance in the front. Since I am all for handling and looks just come as a bonus.. I am going to mess around with the suspension a bit more. I've had these JICs for quite some time, a lil problematic at times but with $$$ you can fix anything.

I must say I am VERY impressed with these Toyo T1Rs, they grip like a ****.
Old 04-14-2006, 05:37 AM

Ohh, Mike... You put an SE-R badge on her.

The car looks good though, is that a Stillen lip? I have one sitting in my garage waiting to go on and I wanted to see how it would look with only the Stillen lip on the front of a 00-01. Looks fine to me, and when you drop the rear it is less noticable.
Old 04-14-2006, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by upstatemax
The car looks good though, is that a Stillen lip?
Psst...the Stillen stamp is visible in the pic
Old 04-14-2006, 06:33 AM
Kevlo for President

You slow ricer you. Go rice out the Q and the POS VH.....
Old 04-14-2006, 09:21 AM

Rakin'. Hit the switches holmes!!
Old 04-14-2006, 10:06 AM
El Mas Noob Del Org.

Your wheels are a thing of beauty. btw your car looks nice the drop is great dont listen to anyone else just leave it the way it is......
But whats up with that SER badge????
Old 04-14-2006, 10:16 AM

I dropped my fronts only as well and I think it looks great. Having the rear up a bit gives a more aggressive stance IMO. Your car looks great!
Old 04-14-2006, 04:31 PM

Actually the ride is very krappy because the fronts are SOOOO much stiffer than the rears. I absolutely hate it on the highway over uneven pavement as the front end gets pumped up n down cause of the rear end.... It does crave the corners like a ****- thanks to these awesome tires.

SE-R badge has been on my car for 5 years now :P I used to own a SE-R and when I went out with the SE-R guys I needed to "fit in" thus came the SE-R badge. Plus its on there due to the patronage I have towards the true SE-R, one and only B13 Sentra SE-R.

People have the "SUPPORT the TROOPS" stickers on their car, I have a SE-R badge.... I don't think its too ricy looking, as its not the NEW SE-R badge on the newer Sentra SE-Rs- which looks like a GT-R badge.
Old 04-14-2006, 04:50 PM

wouldnt having a staggered setup with such wide rears make the car NOT want to oversteer? i love oversteer as much as the next guy, had an e30 POS drift car for a while. but with the max's long wheel base i havent mastered it yet, give yall props if u can.

i always keep my rear higher than my front. i prefer the "cat about to pounce" stance vs the "too much crap in my trunk" look

diggin the new rims, granted not as much as ur old ones itll all look alot better when u throw ur bbk back on.
Old 04-14-2006, 06:00 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by ColdSHO
wouldnt having a staggered setup with such wide rears make the car NOT want to oversteer?

you are correct.....which is why alot of the autocross guys (including me) run wider tires in the front and narrower in the back to increase "rotation" of the tail (i.e. understeer) and reduce pushing into the tights....

I'm kind of surprised Mike is running a staggered setup, actually
Old 04-14-2006, 06:07 PM

Guys, What if I did Maxspeeds in the front and stock GXE springs in the rear??? I don't think Maxspeeds are that linear.....they are not as stiff as alot of other springs, right?
Old 04-14-2006, 06:11 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by max929
Guys, What if I did Maxspeeds in the front and stock GXE springs in the rear??? I don't think Maxspeeds are that linear.....they are not as stiff as alot of other springs, right?
Actually, Joel (puppetmaster) and I did a little bit of testing today while doing spring work...his Progress and the H-techs that replaced them vs. my Maxspeeds. I am almost completely convinced that the maxspeeds ARE linear. And they ARE stiffer than H&R and H-techs, at least at the top of the range. His car pushed down far more easily than mine.

To answer your questions - the rear maxspeeds are a VERY small drop compared to stock rears. I'd say no more than a 1/2" drop, even though they say 1"....there's no way it's 1". Maxspeeds front and stock rear would be a VERY EVEN drop.

That said, I am about to switch over to either H-techs or joel's old Progress in the front (not sure yet) and keep the maxspeeds in the rear - I like the extra stiffness for oversteer purposes.
Old 04-14-2006, 06:20 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Nice tires and wheels. Are you planning on reinstalling the BBK?
Old 04-14-2006, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by MacAlert
Psst...the Stillen stamp is visible in the pic

My stillen lip does not have that and I kinda like it...
Old 04-14-2006, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by irish44j
you are correct.....which is why alot of the autocross guys (including me) run wider tires in the front and narrower in the back to increase "rotation" of the tail (i.e. understeer) and reduce pushing into the tights....

I'm kind of surprised Mike is running a staggered setup, actually
Josh,

As you know if you increase the rear spring ratios the car will wanna oversteer alot more. For me the BASIC JIC setup feels like sh!at, it is not matched properly to our cars weight- especially on the rear of the car. Originally my car came with 9kg front and 6kg rear springs, which equates to about 520lbs fronts and something in the 300 range for the rear. No matter how you play your adjustments the car will not be neutral or tail happy with that set up, it will actually understeer quite a bit. So when I send out my rear JICs for a overhaul I also requested 10kg springs for the rear which is something like 600lb springs. If you have ever driven a Sentra SE-R Spec V you will notice how good the car handles STOCK vs our cars- suspension geometry and design is almost the same- but we have more weight (bout 300lbs) and longer chassis. Spec V is a hoot to drive, it will oversteer when you want it and feels prefecty set up from the factory.

I am trying to mimic the same idea here, but I do not want CRAZY oversteer that comes from having such stiff rear springs. So what do I do ? Run staggered set up wheels which will neutralize the chassis. Wider rear tires = more understeer, stiffer rear springs = more oversteer... Wider rear tires + Stiffer rear springs + adjustments to the suspension = more neutral ride.

That is why I chose to run the setup I have, I got the wheels for fairly cheap, they are fully forged and look awesome in person - pics can't fully decipher the way they look. My car with Saw Blades and OEM suspension would never get a look from anyone on the street, I threw these on last nite and I get peoples attention every time I roll up to a light.

Some people do not like the look- like some of my cooworkers say I should enter a lowrider magazine with those kinds of of wheels.

As for BBK kit ? I'm not going to use one for a while, I haven't had any issues with my OEM brake kit that I still run right now vs 300ZX/Blehmco kit that I used to have. I am going to piece my own Brembo kit, the real deal 4 piston 14" 2 piece rotor setup. I am conteplating on what I should do with the Maxima at this moment, enjoy it on the street or gut it out, cage it, and loose bout 400lbs off its weight for racing.... I have other cars to drive but the Max has been a good car to me for the last 150K miles and 5 years I've owned it since new and hasnt let me down.
Old 04-15-2006, 04:59 PM

my oversteer seemd to be adjustable more thru the adjustment of my rsb than my actuall spring/coilover setup.

14 inch? i just got a a set of 13ich cobras and 4piston z calipers so i could for once have soemthing better than ur setup. ARGH i cant win!

my bro has 04/05ish spec V with the brembo package. the rear really was stiff. i loved the handleing. really made me want to run out and get a lsd asap. fun little cars, stock for stock it was almost keeping up with my friends wrx.not bad considering the crappy tires it had.
Old 04-15-2006, 05:23 PM

This makes me wonder what a staggered stance would look like with staggered rims such as son the 350z. I wish I had the money to try it out
Old 04-16-2006, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by BlackBIRDVQ
Josh,

As you know if you increase the rear spring ratios the car will wanna oversteer alot more. For me the BASIC JIC setup feels like sh!at, it is not matched properly to our cars weight- especially on the rear of the car. Originally my car came with 9kg front and 6kg rear springs, which equates to about 520lbs fronts and something in the 300 range for the rear. No matter how you play your adjustments the car will not be neutral or tail happy with that set up, it will actually understeer quite a bit. So when I send out my rear JICs for a overhaul I also requested 10kg springs for the rear which is something like 600lb springs. If you have ever driven a Sentra SE-R Spec V you will notice how good the car handles STOCK vs our cars- suspension geometry and design is almost the same- but we have more weight (bout 300lbs) and longer chassis. Spec V is a hoot to drive, it will oversteer when you want it and feels prefecty set up from the factory.

I am trying to mimic the same idea here, but I do not want CRAZY oversteer that comes from having such stiff rear springs. So what do I do ? Run staggered set up wheels which will neutralize the chassis. Wider rear tires = more understeer, stiffer rear springs = more oversteer... Wider rear tires + Stiffer rear springs + adjustments to the suspension = more neutral ride.

That is why I chose to run the setup I have, I got the wheels for fairly cheap, they are fully forged and look awesome in person - pics can't fully decipher the way they look. My car with Saw Blades and OEM suspension would never get a look from anyone on the street, I threw these on last nite and I get peoples attention every time I roll up to a light.

Some people do not like the look- like some of my cooworkers say I should enter a lowrider magazine with those kinds of of wheels.

As for BBK kit ? I'm not going to use one for a while, I haven't had any issues with my OEM brake kit that I still run right now vs 300ZX/Blehmco kit that I used to have. I am going to piece my own Brembo kit, the real deal 4 piston 14" 2 piece rotor setup. I am conteplating on what I should do with the Maxima at this moment, enjoy it on the street or gut it out, cage it, and loose bout 400lbs off its weight for racing.... I have other cars to drive but the Max has been a good car to me for the last 150K miles and 5 years I've owned it since new and hasnt let me down.
Dam man you gonna write a books soon man lol.
The pictures dont do justice in person the car looks great.