5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

darn dde ballasts

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 05:11 PM
IN IRAQ MAXIMA.ORG-ING :)

darn dde ballasts

this is my second ballast that is burned out... i dunno wat can go wrong i mean i did paypal umnitza the 10 bucks for the warranty and wat not but the first time it was the driver side and now its the passenger side... any one else have this problem
Old 04-11-2006, 06:22 PM
Mass_Media™

ballasts burning out? O yea.
Old 04-12-2006, 06:52 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I asked umnitza the difference between their rings and the $25 ones on ebay, and they were sarcastic and told me that LEDs=junk and their rings were supremely better, and to buy the LED rings first so that I can appreciate theirs more. The LEDs, according to umnitza's website, can last 30 years plus, so I don't know why they are so junky... And I talked to someone on the org that bought the $25 ones, and he was happy with them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-E...spagenameZWDVW

feel free to add comments
Old 04-12-2006, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by Maxima570
I asked umnitza the difference between their rings and the $25 ones on ebay, and they were sarcastic and told me that LEDs=junk and their rings were supremely better, and to buy the LED rings first so that I can appreciate theirs more. The LEDs, according to umnitza's website, can last 30 years plus, so I don't know why they are so junky... And I talked to someone on the org that bought the $25 ones, and he was happy with them.

These things look really thick and do they even fit our cars?
Old 04-12-2006, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by KabirUTA13
this is my second ballast that is burned out... i dunno wat can go wrong i mean i did paypal umnitza the 10 bucks for the warranty and wat not but the first time it was the driver side and now its the passenger side... any one else have this problem

They are getting wet or moisture in getting inside. You have to make sure that they are totally sealed or else they will burn out.

Whatever the case is, you can get dedicated ballasts instead of the shared ones. This means that there will be 1 ballast for 1 ring for a total of 4 ballasts. What does this do? It gives you a much brighter light from your rings. P.M me if you want the connection. They are $5.99 each and you will need four.
Old 04-12-2006, 09:40 AM
Mass_Media™

Originally Posted by Edward Lee
They are getting wet or moisture in getting inside. You have to make sure that they are totally sealed or else they will burn out.

Whatever the case is, you can get dedicated ballasts instead of the shared ones. This means that there will be 1 ballast for 1 ring for a total of 4 ballasts. What does this do? It gives you a much brighter light from your rings. P.M me if you want the connection. They are $5.99 each and you will need four.
What company? And how would you wire them up when umnizta sends with only 2 connectors for 2 ballasts
Old 04-12-2006, 09:45 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by KabirUTA13

I haven't had any problems with my ballasts burning out, mine have been fine for over 2 years now. Like Edward Lee mentioned, seal the ballasts up with some silicone to prevent moisture from getting in.
Old 04-12-2006, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Edward Lee
These things look really thick and do they even fit our cars?
Yes they fit.

I received mine last week and planning to install them this weekend.

It's true that they are not as bright as the umnitza (CCFL type). I've compared both kit and the light output from the LED ones is ok with me plus you won't have any issue in cold weather.

Check this link, a member also posted a picture of the LED ones.
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=464427
Old 04-12-2006, 01:00 PM

Yes I've heard from a member that has them that they fit, and I don't want them to light up the road, I want them to be about as bright as a stock BMW one, which isn't that bright, just enough to see it when its dusk, I like the way the blue picture looks in the post saucisse linked to, but I'm not sure whether to get white or blue.
Old 04-12-2006, 01:11 PM
IN IRAQ MAXIMA.ORG-ING :)

its away from moisture... and another thing i noticed... the passenger side the connectors were freakin melted... im lookin at it like wtf how'd this happen... no contact to metal notthing... makes me wonder...
Old 04-12-2006, 01:26 PM

I'm not too happy with Umnitza right now. I finally got my DDE's (stupid PO lost them for 2 weeks) and I get no instructions at all in the box. I never got a spade connector either to wire the trigger wire with so off to Lowes I went for that. Then I noticed that the rings didn't fit very well at all on my low beam surrounds. They were about a 1/4" to small. I got one installed and then broke the second one trying to make it fit. $25 later I have another ring coming to me, which I hope fits better.

If it wasn't for the fact that the installed DDE's look so damn good, I'd be really unhappy. I just hope they hold up in the long run.
Old 04-12-2006, 01:35 PM

Yes I've heard from a member that has them that they fit, and I don't want them to light up the road, I want them to be about as bright as a stock BMW one, which isn't that bright, just enough to see it when its dusk, I like the way the blue picture looks in the post saucisse linked to, but I'm not sure whether to get white or blue.
Just take a look at my link http://public.fotki.com/saucisse/custom_angeleyes/ I've took some pics to compare the light output of the Led type rings and CCFL type rings just like the ones used by Umnitza.
Old 04-12-2006, 01:47 PM
Mass_Media™

Originally Posted by kbohip
I'm not too happy with Umnitza right now. I finally got my DDE's (stupid PO lost them for 2 weeks) and I get no instructions at all in the box. I never got a spade connector either to wire the trigger wire with so off to Lowes I went for that. Then I noticed that the rings didn't fit very well at all on my low beam surrounds. They were about a 1/4" to small. I got one installed and then broke the second one trying to make it fit. $25 later I have another ring coming to me, which I hope fits better.

If it wasn't for the fact that the installed DDE's look so damn good, I'd be really unhappy. I just hope they hold up in the long run.

Houscor does perfect instructions. Do you get instructions for anything else you buy for your car? That sounds like what everyone else went through who has had dde's.
Old 04-12-2006, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Mass_Media

Houscor does perfect instructions. Do you get instructions for anything else you buy for your car? That sounds like what everyone else went through who has had dde's.
Yea, Housecor's were the instructions I went by, but he mentioned no problems of having to bend the rings to fit. Maybe he didn't have to? BTW, whatever you may think, $150 worth of light rings should at least come with some printed instructions, even photocopied would be fine with me.
Old 04-12-2006, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Mass_Media
What company? And how would you wire them up when umnizta sends with only 2 connectors for 2 ballasts

It's straight forward. If you are interested then let me know or do a search because I posted all the info somewhere on this site.

Each ring has two wires coming from them. All you have to do is to wire one ring to one inverter then wire the inverters power and ground.