5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

BEst Coilovers for the max BOSS CHENS

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2006, 12:21 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

BEst Coilovers for the max BOSS CHENS

Best coilover system available for the 4th and 5th gens. Since I have purchased my 03 max, I have had three different set ups. The first was set up I had was tokico illuminas and tein h techs. I liked these a lot; however, I was not able adjustable the height of the car and was not as smooth as i thought. They were some what rough on certain bumps and sometimes bottomed out (bump stops). Since I wanted to adjust the height of the car, I got some toser coilovers. These were too harsh for me since I am in real estate I needed something smoother and something more quite. Also I need a change because I had 20 inch rims. Since I didn’t know what to do, I talked with Andy and he told me that they have these coilover called Boss Chens and they created using only the best parts and the most durable parts. So I told him get me a set. Once Andy installed these I was amazed at the drop and how my car looked. Not only that when we took it for a drive I was astonished at how smooth and quit the coilovers were. The
car handled so well and hardly no body roll. I loved these coilovers and I think they are the best in the market. I have also rode in my friends car that had like jic, k sports and other lower springs and I feel that they do not compete with the BOSS CHENS. The closes would be Jic however Jic are poor quality with blown struts and such. I asked Andy what parts they used and he told me the springs are eibach (optional) and you can even choose what spring rate you want. The struts are made by the company that makes kyb and are very beefy. Not only that the quality of the coilovers are superb. I have been on these for about 2 months are they are the closest thing to a stock ride. I love these thanks. Also not that many people have these. There are a couple of people and I know Larrio has these as well and here is what he had to say.

1 List all your suspension mods and settings (springs, shocks, bracing, bushings, sway bars, cut bump stops etc)

Boss CHens coilovers with 9kg eibach front springs and helper set, 6kg eibach rear springs. Oil filled dampeners with pressurized gas. FSTB, RSB, full ES bushings.

2 Your driving skills and experience

moderate. Two road course events and one HPDE event

3 How often you bottom out and at what conditions

NEVER. The is quite a bit of lateral travel available

4 How your car feels when driven around town

imagine a 350Z track edition or some other stock high performance car that has a rather stiff factory suspension. Smooth ride but you feel the road imperfections without losing a kidney

5 Impressions on curvy roads
minimal lean, no tire squeel, predictable weight transition

6 High speed driving and high speed stability

perfectly normal and planted. The helper spring set helps due because extra droop can be set for the suspension to unload

7 Ride quality (how would your family member describe it)

"sporty" - gentle enough where children still fall asleep on trips

8 Behavior when going through a constant radius single apex corner (turn in/mid corner/ exit) at low, medium and high speed.

low to med speed - neutral, high speed - moderate on throttle understeer at late mid corner and exit

9 Behavior when going through an S turn or when doing emergency lane change at low, medium and high speed.

rear end stays planted, sharp steering response

YOu can get these through LARRIO and they are very trustworthy and have been very good to me and many other customers. For pictures you can see my car at my home page.

for prices and other info pm LArrio

Old 03-10-2006, 12:28 PM

here of my car

Old 03-10-2006, 12:49 PM
The Definitive AE Master

just to clear up some points:

Boss Chens are imported by me and sold by me. Andy refers customers to me and helps me with the installations. To avoid this thread being locked or deleted, we should refrain from mentioning his company in here.

The springs on your coilovers are the standard 8kg F and 6kg R combination. The eibach springs are a upgrade and purchased separately.

Thank you!
Old 03-10-2006, 01:22 PM
+Cru OG

Sounds like a very good coilover setup. Priced competitively with the JICs?
Old 03-10-2006, 01:29 PM

Since you're in real estate, what do your clients think of the ride? That still must be once stiff ride under normal conditions.

As for how they look, I really like the design of the **** to adjust the shock stiffness. However, the lower brackets don't look as strong compared to Toser or Ksports from the way they are welded onto the body.
Old 03-10-2006, 01:31 PM
I'm needing a caw

I already know about these Larry. But I'll play for your sake. The 1st post better be revised by the time I go home or it's gets deleted. 5pm pst .

Thanks

Originally Posted by Larrio
just to clear up some points:

Boss Chens are imported by me and sold by me. Andy refers customers to me and helps me with the installations. To avoid this thread being locked or deleted, we should refrain from mentioning his company in here.

The springs on your coilovers are the standard 8kg F and 6kg R combination. The eibach springs are a upgrade and purchased separately.

Thank you!
Old 03-10-2006, 02:09 PM
The Definitive AE Master

Originally Posted by Nathan
Since you're in real estate, what do your clients think of the ride? That still must be once stiff ride under normal conditions.

As for how they look, I really like the design of the **** to adjust the shock stiffness. However, the lower brackets don't look as strong compared to Toser or Ksports from the way they are welded onto the body.
I think you'll really have to try them to find out how they really ride. These are oil filled dampeners combined with a relatively soft spring rate. Some customers have complained about them being too soft (if you can believe it).

The lower brackets are steel, so they are already stronger compared to the aluminum ones made by other companies.

Jeff: I sent a PM to krmaxima, I hope he reads it in time.

EDIT: as for pricing, its definitely a lot cheaper than JICs
Old 03-10-2006, 02:20 PM
Go BUCKS!!!

Old 03-10-2006, 02:37 PM
retired moderator

just when I had finally stopped regretting getting these from you, Larry.......

btw, do you have any pics of them set up to a higher ride height? Some people like the handling aspects of coilovers, but not necessarily the "slammed" look...
Old 03-10-2006, 02:46 PM

these are the only pics but yea the first post has been revised sorr. And my clients like these way better then the other set ups trust me these are the best thanks
Old 03-10-2006, 02:54 PM

So Larrio when will you have pricing available for these?
Old 03-10-2006, 02:55 PM

thats a very bold statement. I dont see pillowball mounts, or adjustable camber plates. I'll stick with my JICs

edit: why are they all different colors, and what spring is used if the eibach is an upgrade.

Originally Posted by krmaxima
Best coilover system available for the 4th and 5th gens.
Old 03-10-2006, 02:59 PM

the only reason why i say they are the best is because of the ride its just so freaken smooth and they make no noise what so ever. Well once your struts blow u might think twice, im just playing. i know the jic are really good too but for the price i think the boss chens are better.
Old 03-10-2006, 03:06 PM

i'd like to feel how they ride, im not gonna lie, my jics are rough, and the shocks are set on the softest setting. they seem like a nice upgrade, im not hating! then again i got my jics used and swap out my tein/gr2 setup and i know i paid a lot less than what they go for new, so yeah, JICs for $300

the only reason why i say they are the best is because of the ride its just so freaken smooth and they make no noise what so ever. Well once your struts blow u might think twice, im just playing. i know the jic are really good too but for the price i think the boss chens are better.
Old 03-10-2006, 03:08 PM
teddibear703

larry only makes and sells quality products. A real good guy...
Old 03-10-2006, 03:11 PM

nice on the trade.... and yes LArry only sells good products
Old 03-10-2006, 03:31 PM
Driving is the next best thing

subscribed....
Old 03-10-2006, 05:59 PM
The Definitive AE Master

First of all, I had these made as another option for maximas owners. I have no right to say which product is better or worse, my customers can decide on that for me.

Josh: I promise to get you pictures of the vehicle at a higher ride height. I'll do this on my own car just to show you. Although my car isn't slammed (I don't want to mess up the control arm geometry). I have a 1 inch gap all around.

Nathan: Pricing was $925 shipped per set, but with American dollar falling its hard to get a set price. I have a shipment of new shocks coming mid April, I assemble 2-3 sets by then and list a fair price.

HotshotVQ35: You have valid points, let me try to explain.
1. no camber plates - the pillowball has problems in terms of LONG term durability. The stock upper strut mounts provide a nice peace of mind ride for the general consumer and there will always be plenty of parts available

2. adjustable camber plates - the average person will not need to utilize this system and it could provide a nightmare for those that need a constant alignment. The build tolerances of the Boss Chens are very close, my car was within factory specs (-0.5 left and -0.7 right) at the alignment shop upon initial installation. I'm working with ground control for a camber plate setup as a solution to my track customers

3. The blue ones are not mine, those are the Toser coilovers.

4. Eibach makes coilovers springs in their Motorsports catalog. You can choose any length between 6-9 inches with a 2.5 inch diameter and the spring rate of your choice. You can buy these through importrp, who is a reputable dealer on the org.

Its a give and take system. I opted for superior shocks over the usual camber plate and pillowball system. The Boss Chens come with a 8 inch coilover spring which gives it adequate travel (notice how close the coils are in the blue coilovers?). It also has 32 way dampening and a steel lower bracket for safety (aluminum cracks and comes apart in a collesion). I realized that people keep associating a SUPER stiff ride with coilovers, whereas it should be in actuality smoother than the normal spring/strut combo.
Old 03-10-2006, 09:27 PM

anyone in san diego can test my car if they want. I just want people to get the best product for their maximas. Also i have 20 inch rims its rough as is but i love driving my max because its smmoth and it handles like a champ
Old 03-10-2006, 09:46 PM
Wat

Best coilovers = JIC FLT-A2

/discussion

PS: if you want to sell something, or plug a sponsor, please do it in the GD section and go through the proper channels
Old 03-10-2006, 09:52 PM

im not trying to sell anything y do i care if they make money i just want to let the maxima community know that these are out and that i feel that they are the best for the money.
Old 03-10-2006, 10:04 PM
The Definitive AE Master

Originally Posted by E55AMG2

/discussion

PS: if you want to sell something, or plug a sponsor, please do it in the GD section and go through the proper channels
For you, that may be the case. The definition of "best" is completely subjective. Its like trying to answer the numerous "best" intake/exhaust/header/oil filter/engine oil threads. However, others may factor in price, customer service, durability, and ease of getting replacements for items such as coilovers. Which in that case.... well, you know the answer.
Old 03-10-2006, 11:08 PM
Drug Money

Originally Posted by E55AMG2

/discussion
K-Sport > JIC, Tein, Boss Chen, Tosser, Paradox Systems

/discussion
Old 03-10-2006, 11:12 PM
Need A Light?

Great writeup....I rode in boss chens before and I thought they were pretty smooth...but I'm thinkin thats cuz of the standard 8kg/6kg springs....Setup ksports with a 7kg/5kg rate and there might be some competition out there....especially at a $795 shipped price!
Old 03-10-2006, 11:18 PM
Drug Money

Originally Posted by MaxBoost925
K-Sport > JIC, Tein, Boss Chen, Tosser, Paradox Systems

/discussion
I take that back. Maximas with coilovers = good regardless.
Old 03-11-2006, 11:34 AM
The Definitive AE Master

I've had 9kg F and 7kg R in my car since the beginning. You can try it at the next meet. You'll find that the oil dampeners are the key to the ride and not the spring rates.
Old 03-11-2006, 12:26 PM

Just curious, how much do they (each coilover assembly) weigh?
Old 03-11-2006, 02:45 PM

Also wouldnt the distance between the spring coils also give you some more movement that ones with closer coils?
Old 03-11-2006, 03:01 PM

The first was set up I had was tokico illuminas and tein h techs. I liked these a lot; however, I was not able adjustable the height of the car and was not as smooth as i thought. They were some what rough on certain bumps and sometimes bottomed out (bump stops). Since I wanted to adjust the height of the car, I got some toser coilovers. These were too harsh for me since I am in real estate I needed something smoother and something more quite. Also I need a change because I had 20 inch rims. Since I didn’t know what to do, I talked with Andy and he told me that they have these coilover called Boss Chens and they created using only the best parts and the most durable parts. So I told him get me a set. Once Andy installed these I was amazed at the drop and how my car looked. Not only that when we took it for a drive I was astonished at how smooth and quit the coilovers were.
So, they are actually softer than H-techs? What were your illuminas set to?
Old 03-11-2006, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by DrKlop
So, they are actually softer than H-techs? What were your illuminas set to?

It really doesnt matter what they are set to. I've heard from everyone that even illuminas at 5/5 dont compare to how stiff all the coilovers are, so the fact that this guy is saying they are comparable at all at ANY setting is amazing for a coilover. To be honest if this were true and boss chens didnt make noise they would be #1 on my list.

I just wish coilovers were more reliable. If they were steel they would weigh more but I'de rather have the reliability of steel than cracking aluminum.
Old 03-11-2006, 04:00 PM
The Definitive AE Master

Originally Posted by DrKlop
Just curious, how much do they (each coilover assembly) weigh?
I believe the entire box weighs about 53-58lbs with the box and accessories. The coilovers themselves is probably around 48-53 lbs (all four)

JamesNH: yes, the extra distance between the coils gives more movement and prevents the spring from binding since they are compressed under load.

These are guaranteed from defects and noise free operation. It also features a inverted locking collar that is inserted from the bottom of the steel bracket to ensure that the dampener sits securely. Everything is either powdercoated or anodized
Old 03-11-2006, 05:37 PM

How much are they?
Old 03-11-2006, 05:49 PM
Need A Light?

$925 shipped
Old 03-11-2006, 05:59 PM

Group Deal!!!!!
Old 03-11-2006, 06:07 PM
Need A Light?

these include upper hats for front and rear already? direct bolt on and no spring compressors right?

cuz the ksport/d2 you have to reuse the rear hats on the 5th gens
Old 03-11-2006, 06:55 PM
The Definitive AE Master

Originally Posted by steven88
these include upper hats for front and rear already? direct bolt on and no spring compressors right?

cuz the ksport/d2 you have to reuse the rear hats on the 5th gens
You have to use the OEM upper strut mounts on the front coilovers. So in long term reliability, your Nissan dealer can provide you with the strut mount assembly and strut bearings also.

I am working on a beefier, more solid version of the upper strut mount that will come with the coilover as a option. These will be a direct drop in.

The rears on the A32 are drop in.

For the A33's, I'm working on getting those made (the USDM A33's have different size bolts)
Old 03-11-2006, 08:52 PM

so how long have you had these coilovers on your ride?
Old 03-12-2006, 03:05 AM

i had these for around 2 months
Old 03-12-2006, 05:53 AM
Conecarver

Originally Posted by Larrio
I've had 9kg F and 7kg R in my car since the beginning. You can try it at the next meet. You'll find that the oil dampeners are the key to the ride and not the spring rates.
Changing damping rates can transform the whole car's behavior.
Old 03-12-2006, 06:20 AM
CAN YOU PUT IT ON THE WALL?

i'm interested at this point. i would love to ride in someone's max out here...i usually get to the JP meet in July. We also have a import show here in june that if anyone plans on being out here, I would love to take a spin in a BC equiped max. I may end up with coilovers after all.

Quick Reply: BEst Coilovers for the max BOSS CHENS