5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

BEst Coilovers for the max BOSS CHENS

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2006, 08:44 AM
350 Detroit Muscle

subscribing
Old 03-12-2006, 10:58 AM
The Definitive AE Master

I'll work on getting some test samples to cars out on the East Coast so other members can take a ride-along.

Here is a popular coilover made by Bilstein (very reputable manufacturer) for Posches and BMWs (PSS9 coilovers) - no camber plates

For ultimate performance, you can't the JIC A2 because of the monotube shocks, since it is the best design. HOWEVER, its only worth it if you want to pay $1600 and have a car that is used on the track without worrying about reliability of the shocks and coilover noises (reported by local members with the A2's).

Since most maximas are mostly street vehicles, this is in my opinion the best compromise. Steel for durability, OEM upper strut mounts for silence, a completely noise free operation, and superior oil dampeners for a comfortable ride.
Old 03-12-2006, 11:07 AM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by Ammi
subscribing
always wondered, why do people post that they're "subscribing?"
Old 03-12-2006, 11:08 AM
The Definitive AE Master

Welded steel brackets on a HKS coilover system
http://www.autopamplona.com/ficheiros/hks-susp.jpg

Skyline coilovers by HKS - no camber plates

Good coilovers - emphasis on shocks and dampening
Old 03-12-2006, 11:11 AM
Need A Light?

Originally Posted by irish44j
always wondered, why do people post that they're "subscribing?"
when you reply to a thread...it automatically subscribes you....

you can also do it without replying....its in the upper right hand corner called THREAD TOOLS
Old 03-12-2006, 09:32 PM
Boss Chen Industries

account approved!
Old 03-12-2006, 10:00 PM
Need A Light?

Larrio motors, your now a sponsor!?! Awesome!
Old 03-12-2006, 10:59 PM
Driving is the next best thing

Are there any disadvantages in oil filled shocks. I mean, if oil filled shocks are better than gas filled shocks, why do other coilover and shock manufacturers use gas?
Old 03-12-2006, 11:55 PM

hey im really intrested, what are the specs and prices?
Old 03-13-2006, 05:12 AM

Interesting.
Old 03-13-2006, 02:07 PM
The Definitive AE Master

Originally Posted by DrKlop
Are there any disadvantages in oil filled shocks. I mean, if oil filled shocks are better than gas filled shocks, why do other coilover and shock manufacturers use gas?
These dampeners are oil mixed with pressurized gas for a smooth comfortable ride. Exactly like the JIC A2 monotube struts
http://www.jic-magic.com/productsjic_susp_flta2.htm

"high pressure nitrogen gas filled monotube design with special stable viscosity index oil that will not be affected by wide temperature changes"

indecentmax: pricing is not fixed yet due to the failing value of the American dollar. As of now they are $925-$950 shipped.
Old 05-14-2006, 05:38 PM
retired moderator

Larry....yes, another question that I forgot in my pm...

since the fronts re-use the OEM upper strut mounts, would it be safe to assume that I could instead use my Stillen camber plates (which currently are in the car, replacing the same upper strut mount...?

oh, and a free bump
Old 05-14-2006, 08:41 PM
The Definitive AE Master

Yep, stillen camber plates should work.

The top hat on the BC coilovers is machined to hold the OEM strut bearing. In theory your stillen camber plates goes right on top since it utilizes the OEM strut bearing also.
Old 05-17-2006, 07:26 AM
Old enuf to pick his own gears

Originally Posted by Larrio
Here is a popular coilover made by Bilstein (very reputable manufacturer) for Posches and BMWs (PSS9 coilovers) - no camber plates
Invalid comparisons. The front suspensions in those cars are not made in ways that easily facilitate camber plates, so it's not like they could have done it but chose not to.
Old 05-17-2006, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by DrKlop
"Gas-filled" dampers are still oil-filled, and still use oil to damp the motion of the suspension. They just use the gas to keep the oil under pressure.

It's a good technology, but it's not always better than the alternative. The trick is that the pressurized gas provides upward force, which means that the damper will be contributing to holding the car up as well as damping the motion of the suspension. That can be great because if it's done right, it can let you have good control of body motion without the use of super stiff springs. On the other hand, it also tosses a big extra variable into the suspension tuning equation, and sometimes it's just easier to have the damper and the spring do their jobs without getting in each other's way.

Ultimately it all depends on the construction of the damper, the setup of the suspension, the purpose, and the driver's preferences.
Old 05-17-2006, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by d00df00d
"Gas-filled" dampers are still oil-filled, and still use oil to damp the motion of the suspension. They just use the gas to keep the oil under pressure.

It's a good technology, but it's not always better than the alternative. The trick is that the pressurized gas provides upward force, which means that the damper will be contributing to holding the car up as well as damping the motion of the suspension. That can be great because if it's done right, it can let you have good control of body motion without the use of super stiff springs. On the other hand, it also tosses a big extra variable into the suspension tuning equation, and sometimes it's just easier to have the damper and the spring do their jobs without getting in each other's way.

Ultimately it all depends on the construction of the damper, the setup of the suspension, the purpose, and the driver's preferences.
Gotcha, thanks!

Larry, you got a PM. (hopefully you can see this lol)
Old 05-17-2006, 11:02 AM

i'm interested also, but no funds right now
Old 05-17-2006, 11:06 AM

I might be interested to buy a set for my 2k1, but I'm in no rush and will hopefully sell the D2 at the end of the summer when it's time to put the max back in the garage for the winter. Keep us posted as to when the Boss Chens will be available and at what final price.

Cheers
Old 05-17-2006, 03:53 PM
drag racing is for wussies

Welded steel brackets on a HKS coilover system
http://www.autopamplona.com/ficheiros/hks-susp.jpg

Good coilovers - emphasis on shocks and dampening
Let me 1st say that I am in no way interested in Boss Chens since I do have FLTA2s on my Maxima (that do blow shocks on occassion but oh well its just $$$ ) and to my liking the coil overs are NOT harsh, but to some people a stock SE Max is harsh, where I can crank up my JICs and never find them too harsh for my liking....

Anyways- those HKS HyperMax coilovers.... on Multi-link design suspensions like the ones found in the BCNR32-34 GT-R, Z32 300ZX, G50 Q45, P10 G20- do not use camber plates to adjust camber with. You need a upper control arm that adjusts for camber, or you can shim the stock OEM control arm for up to 1 deg of negative camber reduction.

Here is a SPL link installed that does camber adjustment on a Z32. I have the same setup on my Q45.

Only McPherson strut designed cars can use upper camber plates to controll the amount of camber.
Old 05-17-2006, 11:35 PM
Boss Chen Industries

I think some may be confused by this thread and I should set things straight.

My goal is not to create the best coilover system in the world for the maxima nor blow out the competition by massively producing these. (I could have easily done this just by having a set produced overseas). I needed a coilover system that would:
1. be noise free and reliable
2. be comfortable
3. handle the occasional tracking expedetion

The steel construction provides reliability, the OEM strut bearing and hat provides a cheaper replacement cost and noise free operation. The rather low spring rate of 8kg f/6kg r combined with the struts makes a comfortable ride. And the adjustability of the coilovers handles my track runs.

This is not a product that I stock and I definitely don't plan to market it in terms of ads. I build these per order on my own time during weekends. It is a quality component and I have no interest making an alternative to compete with other brands of coilovers that are cheaper. With this in mind, I believe that the people that do run the BC coilovers will be satisfied with the individual attention and quality given to each set.
Old 05-18-2006, 01:00 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Larrio Motors
I think some may be confused by this thread and I should set things straight.

My goal is not to create the best coilover system in the world for the maxima nor blow out the competition by massively producing these. (I could have easily done this just by having a set produced overseas). I needed a coilover system that would:
1. be noise free and reliable
2. be comfortable
3. handle the occasional tracking expedetion

The steel construction provides reliability, the OEM strut bearing and hat provides a cheaper replacement cost and noise free operation. The rather low spring rate of 8kg f/6kg r combined with the struts makes a comfortable ride. And the adjustability of the coilovers handles my track runs.

This is not a product that I stock and I definitely don't plan to market it in terms of ads. I build these per order on my own time during weekends. It is a quality component and I have no interest making an alternative to compete with other brands of coilovers that are cheaper. With this in mind, I believe that the people that do run the BC coilovers will be satisfied with the individual attention and quality given to each set.
How should the steel handle the street salt found in New England? Even some surface rust on the threads will make it nearly impossible to adjust.
Old 05-18-2006, 07:37 AM

I can't speak for these particular coilovers, but I have had Ksports for nearly a year and about 25k miles and I've definitely had a few little stripes of surface rust in the threads (Ksports also have steel shock bodies), so my experience might be valuable. You're right, rust does make them hard to adjust. Fortunately, the solution is about as simple as some rust-eating spray, a wire brush, and maybe some brake cleaner if there's also some gunk in there. 30 seconds with that stuff made my adjustment collars turn virtually like new.
Old 05-18-2006, 08:23 PM

Larry, forgot to ask you, do they have independent height adjustment? (full travel regardless of the drop)
Old 05-18-2006, 09:13 PM
Boss Chen Industries

Originally Posted by sciff5
How should the steel handle the street salt found in New England? Even some surface rust on the threads will make it nearly impossible to adjust.
I didn't say that steel handles surface rust better. I said that steel was used for reliability. Aluminum is a weaker metal compared to steel.

DrKlop: Yes, it has independent height adjustment.
Old 05-18-2006, 09:23 PM

I didn't say that steel handles surface rust better. I said that steel was used for reliability. Aluminum is a weaker metal compared to steel.

DrKlop: Yes, it has independent height adjustment.
Thats alright I would rather have steel, plus I dont need to adjust my ride height often if at all. I would only get coilovers for better handling anyway
Old 05-19-2006, 06:23 AM
Conecarver

You might try coating em with grease or wrapping with either plastic wrap or painters tape or similar too.
Old 05-19-2006, 01:17 PM

stupid question: the springs are linear, right? (I know, I'm going crazy)
Old 05-19-2006, 02:23 PM
Boss Chen Industries

They are linear, yes.

If you run a tender spring, you can make it progressive (depending on the spring rate of the tender spring). The helper spring is merely to take up the loose slack if you want no preload.
Old 05-19-2006, 02:45 PM

They are linear, yes.

If you run a tender spring, you can make it progressive (depending on the spring rate of the tender spring). The helper spring is merely to take up the loose slack if you want no preload.
nah, I definitely don't want progressive springs. "yes" is exactly what I wanted to hear.
Old 05-19-2006, 02:47 PM
The Definitive AE Master

Its progressive in a good sense. The tender spring will provide a progressive spring rate as a cushion when the suspension unloads but goes back to linear when it compresses fully and starts back into the normal linear spring travel area.
Old 05-19-2006, 03:34 PM

Its progressive in a good sense. The tender spring will provide a progressive spring rate as a cushion when the suspension unloads but goes back to linear when it compresses fully and starts back into the normal linear spring travel area.
ya, you might be right, I might get the tender springs later as well, but first I want to try them only with the main springs.
Old 05-20-2006, 03:11 PM

Larry,

Did you get my PM???

Mike
Old 05-20-2006, 07:25 PM

and my pm too, i want a set.
Old 05-20-2006, 08:11 PM

larrio you have pm
Old 05-20-2006, 08:20 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by zax 20th ae
larrio you have pm
yeah, I think you already said that on the post above

Originally Posted by zax 20th ae
and my pm too, i want a set.
Old 05-21-2006, 06:36 AM

anyone in the northeast have these coilovers and can comment on the ride quality?
Old 05-21-2006, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by irish44j
yeah, I think you already said that on the post above

yea i sent him another one.
Old 05-21-2006, 01:04 PM
Boss Chen Industries

I believe all PM's are answered. I didn't import too many sets in my first shipment so i'm having a bit of a shortage right now. Sorry for the inconvenience. I'll be getting more as the summer months roll in
Old 05-21-2006, 01:30 PM

why not just buy Tein SS coilovers?
Old 05-21-2006, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by FriscoMaxima
why not just buy Tein SS coilovers?
I couldn't figure out which ones I should get (TEIN SS vs. Boss Chen) for a long time. The reason I stopped on Boss Chens is because the height adjustment is independent from spring collar. TEINs don't have this feature, which means that increasing the drop decreases suspension travel and also makes the car feel stiffer.

Quick Reply: BEst Coilovers for the max BOSS CHENS