5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Brake Pads

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2006, 10:51 AM

Brake Pads

My brakes are about to go on my car and was wondering what pads I should get for my car. I've searched around and everyone seems to like the Hawk HPS or the Raybestos Quietstop. How are these pads compared to the stock brake pads and should I also get aftermarket rotors with it? Brembo blanks? I'm just looking for braking power equal or better to the stock pads.

Also, I believe my strut mount is breaking... I'm getting a "thunking" noise when I go over bumps. I don't think its the strut because the ride is still as stiff as it was before. How much does it usually cost to fix this?

Thanks!
Old 02-03-2006, 10:55 AM
FU, FU, FU, You're Cool..

pads

I have had both brand pads.

Right now I have the hawks on the front. Although I think they are very good pads I am not sure i would buy them again because of the enormous amounts of brake dust they give off.

The raybestos quiet stops were excellent pads also no complaints
Old 02-03-2006, 10:58 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

anyone got feedback on pbr/axxis?

i just bought a pbr/axxis deluxe plus pad set for my car, waiting to have installed.
Old 02-03-2006, 11:24 AM

Get either the Hawk HPS or the Nismo pads for the Altima or 350z. The Raybestos will eventually cause pad transfer to your rotors making them appear as though they have warped. The Hawk and Nismo pads have a much higher heat tolerance than other direct OEM replacement pads. I have gone through many sets of pads and 3 sets of "warped rotors". It's not the rotors, it's the pads causing the problem. I now have Brembo blanks and Nismo pads and I finally have no juddering.
Old 02-03-2006, 11:59 AM

Akebonas are good too!!! I bought set for front a year ago. paid high $40's They are almost like new!!! no noise, low in dust great stopping power. Now i'm getting a set of Axxis ult for rear since I have had some issues with my rear calipers.
P.S. If I wouldn't forget a/t nisamo pads for altima SE-R i'd rather take those. BTW guys what's the part# for those pads?
Old 02-03-2006, 04:02 PM

I just installed brembo blanks and akebono ceramics in the front. Cheapest I found was Ebay. Extremely silent setup and no dust ...although I wish the akebonos would chomp down harder and bite. Not that the braking is baaad ...just wish it were better.

Does anyone have the stock setup that hasnt warped on them?
by the way, ebay all day everyday.
Old 02-03-2006, 04:06 PM
vsamoylov

i am currently running hawk hps pads and they are good but the dust factor is there. but for me its not a problem

Old 02-03-2006, 04:08 PM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

Hawk HPS.. and when they get dirty WASH THE CAR........
Old 02-03-2006, 06:14 PM

Hawk HPS have way 2 much dust
Old 02-03-2006, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Virus
Get either the Hawk HPS or the Nismo pads for the Altima or 350z. The Raybestos will eventually cause pad transfer to your rotors making them appear as though they have warped. The Hawk and Nismo pads have a much higher heat tolerance than other direct OEM replacement pads. I have gone through many sets of pads and 3 sets of "warped rotors". It's not the rotors, it's the pads causing the problem. I now have Brembo blanks and Nismo pads and I finally have no juddering.
This is exactly what i wanted to hear, i've been thinking this over for a while what i eventually will need to do about my brakes. Probably my biggest problem with the max so far overtime has been brakes. It seems that my rotors are warping again and was assuming that the stock pads just don't perform well and was coming on here to figure out what to get.

One question though, since everyone is talking about brake dust with the hawks, have you been able to compare the hawks dust with the nismo? and where did you get your hands on the nismo pads. Also i'm assuming they're they same pads, but i have a 00, has anything changed or are they the same from 00-03?
Old 02-03-2006, 09:08 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Power slot cryo with HPS. Good braking , once in awhile I get a squeel when they are cold. The dust factor is not bad but its in the inside of the rims. The next pads I am gonna try is the Hawk Pads Ceramic
Old 02-03-2006, 11:08 PM
Need A Light?

i have axxis ULTs and they freakin ANNOY! like seriously...me and shogunsc4 and a few other members have these pads and they squeal WAAY too much...the dust is freakin insane too...like 3 days of driving and my polished lip is soaked in brake dust...the stopping power is there...don't get me wrong, it's a step up from OEM which is a plus for users looking for more stopping power...but it's not worth it for the insane amount of brake dust and SQUEAL you get...

AHH the squeal!! its so loud and annoying!!
Old 02-04-2006, 05:20 AM
Go BUCKS!!!

Originally Posted by NYghettoGLE
anyone got feedback on pbr/axxis?

i just bought a pbr/axxis deluxe plus pad set for my car, waiting to have installed.
I installed these with brembo blanks about 2 weeks ago and the brake dust build-up is horrible. I'm going to end up buying a set of HPS and ditch these PBR/Axxis Pads with the quickness. After having them for installed two weeks, they are still squealing as well.
Old 02-04-2006, 08:31 AM

Can someone get p# for nismo pads? how much they usually are?
sh*t I just bought set of axxis pads for my rear
Old 02-04-2006, 11:23 AM
Need A Light?

that sux Tim...I just bought myself a set of deluxe since they are on sale...i hope I won't get the same dust/squeal like you did...

anyone else with the deluxe have bad luck with these?
Old 02-04-2006, 01:38 PM

I recently put on hawk hps and brembo blanks. I know this sound weird but once the brakes get warm it seems like the hps grip even better. I've had atleast 2 other types of pads on my car and this is the best. I recently had an apportunity to test them..on highway going 90 had to slow down fast.. and the brakes are fine. Last set of pads i did that on they were gone. So for my money spent a little more get a set of hps and some good rotors.
Old 02-04-2006, 02:16 PM

i went from quietstops to axxis ultimates. I would not do that again. Quietstops stopped well and very little dust but maybe they were the cause for warping my mftr rotors. I will look into those NISMO pads tho. Who can put me on?
Old 02-04-2006, 02:18 PM
Need A Light?

Originally Posted by SuperStasiu
I recently put on hawk hps and brembo blanks. I know this sound weird but once the brakes get warm it seems like the hps grip even better. I've had atleast 2 other types of pads on my car and this is the best. I recently had an apportunity to test them..on highway going 90 had to slow down fast.. and the brakes are fine. Last set of pads i did that on they were gone. So for my money spent a little more get a set of hps and some good rotors.

hows the dust and the squeal on the HPS pads?
Old 02-04-2006, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by steven88

does anyone know where we can find these NISMO pads? and does anyone know more about them, performance and brake dust info?
Old 02-04-2006, 04:29 PM
Go BUCKS!!!

Originally Posted by dextterity
does anyone know where we can find these NISMO pads? and does anyone know more about them, performance and brake dust info?
They're a bit pricey, but they're on the Nismo Parts Site.

I would recomment contacting them to make sure the fronts will fit the 5th gens as they do not list which year of Maxima they are for.
Old 02-04-2006, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by SEmy2K2go
They're a bit pricey, but they're on the Nismo Parts Site.

I would recomment contacting them to make sure the fronts will fit the 5th gens as they do not list which year of Maxima they are for.
Interesting, a bit weird they don't say anything about fitment for the "competition" pads, while the "performance street plus" pads are much more affordable and still have double the temp rating set for competition brake pads, and those are for both a32 and a33. Also i'm now wondering which of these nismo pads virus is speaking of. And are these really nismo pads? i know they're from nismoparts.com but he said "Hawk HPS or the Nismo pads." so now i'm a bit confused...aren't hawk pads the same as the nismo ones since nismoparts.com calls their pads: The Hawk Blue (competition) $139.70 and Hawk HP Plus (performance street plus) $69.85. anyway i hope we can clear this up heh
Old 02-05-2006, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by dextterity
This is exactly what i wanted to hear, i've been thinking this over for a while what i eventually will need to do about my brakes. Probably my biggest problem with the max so far overtime has been brakes. It seems that my rotors are warping again and was assuming that the stock pads just don't perform well and was coming on here to figure out what to get.

One question though, since everyone is talking about brake dust with the hawks, have you been able to compare the hawks dust with the nismo? and where did you get your hands on the nismo pads. Also i'm assuming they're they same pads, but i have a 00, has anything changed or are they the same from 00-03?
The Nismo pads do not produce an incredible amount of dust. It's much more than the Raybestos pads which produced almost none, but it's not horrible. Although DaveB from the boards here gave me a fantastic deal on the Nismo pads, they are still way overpriced for pads. Front pads cost me either $105 or $115, I can't remember which. The pads have had almost no squealing at all and are not loud. I've had them on for almost 15k now which all my other pads had warped by that point.
Old 02-05-2006, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Nomad
Can someone get p# for nismo pads? how much they usually are?
sh*t I just bought set of axxis pads for my rear
The pads for the 350z, Altima and 2k2/2k3 maxima are all the same, but they have different part numbers. The Nismo pads I got from DaveB were 350z part numbers which are listed on Nissans site. Just give him a call and he will give you the right pads.
Old 02-05-2006, 07:36 PM

I don't think anyone knows who makes the Nismo pads. We do know, Nismo doesn't make them. I wouldn't be suprised if Hawk made the pads. Usually performance pads suck when cold and perform great when heated. I found the Nismo pads to be great cold and fantastic once heated to operating temperature.
Old 02-05-2006, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by steven88

The dust isnt that bad its not as thick as other pads but since i've had them on i've had to make a couple ruff stops or slow downs and no steering wheel shake yet. They havent squeeled on me yet so i cant comment about that but i guess if you brake them in right they'll work right.
Old 02-06-2006, 12:43 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by 5thgenfan
I just installed brembo blanks and akebono ceramics in the front. Cheapest I found was Ebay. Extremely silent setup and no dust ...although I wish the akebonos would chomp down harder and bite. Not that the braking is baaad ...just wish it were better.

Does anyone have the stock setup that hasnt warped on them?
by the way, ebay all day everyday.

Akebono also offers a Street Performance pad. I haven't heard any reviews on them or anything but I will be trying them next on my car. Heres a link to their website I will have to look into pricing and maybe look into a group deal on these like I did with the QuietStops a couple years back.
Old 02-06-2006, 06:33 AM

I got RTP blanks and Axxis Deluxe pads from AuToMaX_95. Great price, fast shipping. The brakes are dust free and stop quick.
Old 02-06-2006, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by scmaxima2k
Akebono also offers a Street Performance pad. I haven't heard any reviews on them or anything but I will be trying them next on my car. Heres a link to their website I will have to look into pricing and maybe look into a group deal on these like I did with the QuietStops a couple years back.
yeah, I got the proACT ceramics based on RAVE reviews on Tirerack. From now on I am just going to trust the reviews on this forum. Like i said, the pads arent terrible ....they just dont bite. i think they traded silence and long life for stopping power.
Old 02-06-2006, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by 2002 Maxima SE
I got RTP blanks and Axxis Deluxe pads from AuToMaX_95. Great price, fast shipping. The brakes are dust free and stop quick.
Damn it so are they quite ans dust free or not? I'm a/t to buy set of akebonas since I've heard that they dusty and shquily
Old 02-06-2006, 04:09 PM

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...03&catalogid=1
I guess we need to buy those for 17' rims? Good price but how they bite?