5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Official Coilover Thread!! For everyones benefit!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 08:02 AM
There's never a day when something's not on sale

Official Coilover Thread!! For everyones benefit!

Ok guys, let's put together a data base for potential/new coilover owners as well as a good reference for those with coilovers.
Please only post if you actually HAVE coilovers ON YOUR CAR. Only provide information about the setup you have. I don't want this trhead to be filled with worthless information from people that don't have actual experience with the product.
Copy this form and paste it with your information filled in:

Brand of coilovers:

Miles i've been running on them:

How much you paid:

Any run-ins you had with installation:

Any problems with the coilovers on your car:

Positive change you noticed the most:

Any other notes you would like to add about the coilovers you HAVE ON YOUR CAR:

Again. DO NOT POST if you don't have coilovers on your car. ie: "this brand of coilovers suck" blah blah blah.... This is going to be an information thread only!!!! People will be able to read your comments about your setup and judge your opinion on there own.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 11-30-2005, 08:33 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Brand of coilovers: D2

Miles i've been running on them: 15,000ish

How much you paid: 750ish

Any run-ins you had with installation: none

Any problems with the coilovers on your car: NOISY!! put new bottom brackets on it helped for awhile, noise is back... The alan bolts are a poor design, handling is actually worse... The spring rates (9/7) are too stiff and cause the car to bounce around turns, very unsettling.

Positive change you noticed the most: No more "floating" feeling and damn my car looks good dropped 2.5".

I switched from D2 --> Progress/Illuminas and the ride is FAR better, with better handling. IMO, coilovers for the Maxima are useless for street use, only show.

Last edited by upstatemax; 03-06-2008 at 07:26 AM.
Old 11-30-2005, 08:43 AM

Brand of Coilovers: D2

Miles with coilovers on: around 20,000

How much: 750

Run-ins with installation: None pretty easy install

Problems with coilovers on car: Got a blown strut a few months after install but got replaced under warranty and now I just have a few noises coming from the front driver side coilover. Its the allen bolts causing the noise.

Positives from getting coilovers: Car looks great dropped, got mine dropped like 3" no bottoming out. Car corners way better, wheel hop gone, great handling and well the compliments I get : )
Old 11-30-2005, 01:12 PM

Brand of coilovers: JIC FLA-1s
Miles i've been running on them: 10,000ish

How much you paid: 300 + swapped my teins/gr-2s

Any problems with the coilovers on your car: blew 2 front dampers, replaced by JIC threw warranty even though i was not orignal owner. they make noise, its a racing setup, to be expected, and rides rough with 18s and 40 series tires

Positive change you noticed the most: Better cornering, car not as floaty, and yes, slamming it looks hot!
Old 11-30-2005, 03:55 PM

D2 coilover
8000Km
700$
Installation is pretty easy.
Problems: not really exept the noise, the spring isolator are poorly design and quickly need to be replace, but this is a racing set-up so it regularly need to be fine tuned, I'll be looking into that soon.
Positive change: with Matt LTB 2 and new ES bushing this car is on rail, running with 235-45-17 this car feels great, better in every aspect, with a 2.75" drop the car looks hot.
Old 11-30-2005, 08:43 PM
drag racing is for wussies

JIC FLTA2s
60K+ miles
1K dollars- slightly used.

Problems- Upper pillow ball socket has worn out causing clunking noise when going over bumps at slower speed- waiting for new one, blew out both front inverted shocks- not covered by warranty as I wasn't the original owner nor did I have the original owners proof of purchase, cost 520 bux for 2 new dampeners. Blew out right rear shock few months ago, another 260 bux to repleace- BUT JIC does rebuilds to the rear ones for approx 30 dollars. I removed my coilovers for winter time as they are WAY too harsh for the 1st 10 min of driving. I'm having JIC rebuild the rear shocks for 60 bux totall while I have my winter OEM SE suspension on the car, and upgrading to stiffer rear springs too. Right front spring makes all kinds of noises, it needs rubber insulators on the spring hats to cure the problem- which I will adress while I have it all apart.

Positives- car flat out handles like its on rails- when properly aligned and corner weighted. I have upgraded all the bushings to ES polyurethane. Stock suspension handles like **** and floats around like a old Buick, I can't wait to reinstall my setup after winter is over with. I've had the car lowered 4.5" in the front at one time and 2" in the rear and it just looked haawt ! Do not lower the car more than 3" in the front or bump steer becomes a really bad issue.
Old 12-01-2005, 06:28 AM

k-sport

15k-25k

700 ish

Any problems with the coilovers on your car: no problems as of yet...

Positive change you noticed the most: this with a sway bar..my maxima handles like its on tracks...unbelievable difference..and the ride isnt as bad as people think even on 19"s

Any other notes you would like to add about the coilovers you HAVE ON YOUR CAR:

the only issue like many others who have posted, is the worn pillow ball mounts, which only click when i turn the steering wheel..which i have learned to live with...

Thanks,
Old 12-01-2005, 07:03 AM

Brand of coilovers: JIC a1s

Miles i've been running on them: about 15k

How much you paid: about 1G brand new in the box

Any run-ins you had with installation: stripped the lower rear bolt. but i did the entire install with hand tools and a floor jack. and it was my first time attempting suspension mods on my own car.took a total of about 3 hours after a trip to merlins

Any problems with the coilovers on your car: they squish over large bumps, that and i want to go lower. and a "twang" noise every once in awhile but im not 100% its coming form the coilovers.

Positive change you noticed the most: handles like none other. no brake dive, no rear squat. less body roll super quiet ride, so quiet in fact i can hear tire noise, i couldnt b4. i swear with them set to the softest settings they are softer than the stock se springs.

Any other notes you would like to add about the coilovers you HAVE ON YOUR CAR: go measure the distance between the ground and the top of ur wheel well, if ur lower than 24 inches all the way around ur lower than me. but thats my normal driving height, lower than that and i find it hard to get into places. and once i add my front lip omg thats gonna be intresting. might have to do a lil adjustment.

also i think u can adjust them so ur basicly sitting on the frame, not really sure why ud want to but u could.
Old 12-01-2005, 07:44 AM
The Definitive AE Master

Brand of coilovers: My own brand made to my specifications, currently in R&D phase. Oil filled cylinders with eibach coilover springs, dampening & height adjustable

Miles i've been running on them: 10,xxx miles

How much you paid: $850.00

Any run-ins you had with installation: collars need to be retightened after a few days of driving or you can use light thread lock the first time

Any problems with the coilovers on your car: none as of now

Positive change you noticed the most: no more bump steer, sporty feel without harsh ride. No reduction of suspension travel despite lowering the body of the car
Old 12-02-2005, 03:58 PM

is the "twang" from the fronts?

Originally Posted by ColdSHO
Any problems with the coilovers on your car: they squish over large bumps, that and i want to go lower. and a "twang" noise every once in awhile but im not 100% its coming form the coilovers.

Old 12-02-2005, 10:17 PM

Any other notes you would like to add about the coilovers you HAVE ON YOUR CAR: go measure the distance between the ground and the top of ur wheel well, if ur lower than 24 inches all the way around ur lower than me. but thats my normal driving height, lower than that and i find it hard to get into places. and once i add my front lip omg thats gonna be intresting. might have to do a lil adjustment.
I am at exacly 24" in the front, have Stillen Aero lip- plus HS headers which sit lower than the cross member :P It does suck getting in and out of places with steep driveways as I need to go sideways out the entrance. I am going to be at 25" in the front when I reinstall my FLTA2s this spring- less bump steer. My power steering rack has wore out internally from all the bump steer, and I am looking for a repleacement slowly. Do not drive around with less than 25" in the front or you will be doing the very same thing.
Old 12-03-2005, 09:28 AM

Thanks for the info guys!
Old 12-03-2005, 05:27 PM

i havent had problem with bump steer being as low as i am. im still relatively low miles, just passed 70k, maybe thats why my rack is still good even after over a year of being that low.

blackbird, exactly how low are ur headers, i will be getting the same soon, id also like to add a lower tie bar but i dont know if id have any clearance with both.
Old 12-03-2005, 05:35 PM

blackbird, exactly how low are ur headers, i will be getting the same soon, id also like to add a lower tie bar but i dont know if id have any clearance with both.

I have the HS headers too, I am at 25" all around and I dont have any clearance issues. If you are installing headers and bars I would pick it up a bit.
Old 12-03-2005, 08:19 PM

yeah im still looking for the perfect height, i think24 front and24.25 in the rear looks amazing, makes me smile everytime i look at it. but i guess once i add the headers and ltb, ill prob set it to 24.75 and 25 ish.

since i assume were trying to cover all things coilovers, heres a quick question.

when adjusting one end of the car, ive noticed the distance between the collars that hold the spring and the collar that holds the bottom asseble arent the same on both sides hwen the car is even, its not a huge difference, but theyre both preloaded exactly the same, could this be cause by different weights of each corner. my car sits perfectly level, after much adjustmnet. anyone have this issue? hope i explained that well enough.
Old 12-03-2005, 09:15 PM

Yeah I would guess that it is because the weights are not perfect down the middle and that the coilovers are not all exactly alike... the difference between them is VERY little, but it is there... The tranny is on the drivers side; that adds quite a bit of weight, not to mention everything else associated with the driver.

I went well out of my way to make them as close as possible for the ride height; I am really **** about how my car looks.
Old 12-04-2005, 05:49 PM

Brand of coilovers: Tein SS coilovers w/ EDFC

Miles i've been running on them: about 15k

How much you paid: 1400 w/ EDFC

Any run-ins you had with installation: pain in the a.ss to take everything apart in the trunk

Any problems with the coilovers on your car: front passenger side having clunk noises. upper pillow ball sockets i assumed are junk since i had to use the OEM ones.

Positive change you noticed the most: absolutely worth the $$$!! hug a curb easily and when i adjust damping, its at the tip of your fingers!! ride quality is a difference when you adjust from soft to hard. riding w/ 18's with this suspension is a little harsh, but also comfortable depending on how you look at it. but the looks... ohh mann too sexy!
Old 12-07-2005, 03:45 PM

got another q i guess ill post here.

its been between 10 and -2degrees around where i live lately. for the first couple of minutes while driving it feels like my suspension is stiff as a ****(no other way to describe it, ive tried) but then after maybe 2-3mins its back to normal, is that normal of coilovers?
Old 12-07-2005, 04:45 PM

got another q i guess ill post here.

its been between 10 and -2degrees around where i live lately. for the first couple of minutes while driving it feels like my suspension is stiff as a ****(no other way to describe it, ive tried) but then after maybe 2-3mins its back to normal, is that normal of coilovers?

My D2's are fine... I am not to worried about it though because my car will be sitting for almost the next year or two...
Old 12-07-2005, 04:59 PM
Conecarver

It's normal. There's oil in shocks (5wt in mine for ex) just like the engine and tranny . It get's thicker when cold until friction starts warming it up. Be careful in cold weather <40deg hitting those tracks & bumps at speed. That's a sure path to blowin em out.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:33 PM

good to know, i figured thats what was going on,

nother question while im on a roll. hows everyone coilovers holding up over time, as in the finish, mine look like crap, cause of the salt on the roads near me. im sure a few mins and some cleaner theyll look alright with the exp being the threads theyre rusted real bad.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:34 PM

ColdSHO take those JICs off for winter or you will need new struts. Last winter I installed my JICs and one shock was already blown- but the seller and I agreed on a deal and got a new shock for the front from Ziel who sells JIC stuff. Month or so later the other front went out from the cold. It was holding up great the whole time and one morning it just took a ****. I am rollin on the stock SE suspension for winter- its gotta be the worst handling car I've driven in a while with Blizzaks on it. I can't wait for spring
Old 12-08-2005, 06:05 AM

i had mine on last winter and had no problems, but i drive on really smooth roads all the time.
Old 12-09-2005, 05:41 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Coilover Help!!

I too have the Tein SS and I love them. They handle awesome. But have the same sound on the fronts. It's more of a pinging when I turn the wheel from side to side, like the springs aren't sliding on the perches like they should be. Every now and then I'll put some LUCAS OIL where the springs sits on the purches and the noise goes away. I never had this problem with any other coilover setup on any of my other cars. ANy other ideas from anyone?
Old 12-14-2005, 08:18 AM

Do you have rubber pads/isolators/grommets/whatever you want to call them in between the perches and the springs????
That could be your problem right there....

Mike

EDIT: Sweeeet, this is a sticky now......
Old 01-04-2006, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by BlackBIRDVQ
ColdSHO take those JICs off for winter or you will need new struts. Last winter I installed my JICs and one shock was already blown- but the seller and I agreed on a deal and got a new shock for the front from Ziel who sells JIC stuff. Month or so later the other front went out from the cold. It was holding up great the whole time and one morning it just took a ****. I am rollin on the stock SE suspension for winter- its gotta be the worst handling car I've driven in a while with Blizzaks on it. I can't wait for spring

Would you recommend taking any coilovers off for the winter? I live in SoCal and I really don't think it is cold enough in my location but would rather take any precaution necessary.

BTW, I have d2's.
Old 01-04-2006, 05:58 PM
The Definitive AE Master

Originally Posted by ChromeSE5
Would you recommend taking any coilovers off for the winter? I live in SoCal and I really don't think it is cold enough in my location but would rather take any precaution necessary.

BTW, I have d2's.
3 winters already with 2 different types of coilovers. I think the lowest it got within the past three years where i've been is about 32 degrees F, you'll be fine.
Old 01-04-2006, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Larrio
3 winters already with 2 different types of coilovers. I think the lowest it got within the past three years where i've been is about 32 degrees F, you'll be fine.

San Diego winters can be harsh... I have to wear a coat every once and a while.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:55 PM

I'm not driving the maxima this winter....
Old 01-05-2006, 08:22 AM
The Definitive AE Master

Originally Posted by ChromeSE5
San Diego winters can be harsh... I have to wear a coat every once and a while.
If its not snowy, its not harsh (IMO). I've had ice on my car in the morning when I went to school in Riverside with the coilovers and i'm fairly sure it gets colder there than in San Diego.

I wear a coat everyday to work if its under 55 F, that doesn't mean its harsh weather.

Like I said, you'll be fine but if you want to switch them out no one can stop you from doing so.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:26 AM

Larrio, whats up with the Boss Chen coilovers??? When are we going to get some more info on them?
Old 01-05-2006, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Larrio
If its not snowy, its not harsh (IMO). I've had ice on my car in the morning when I went to school in Riverside with the coilovers and i'm fairly sure it gets colder there than in San Diego.

I wear a coat everyday to work if its under 55 F, that doesn't mean its harsh weather.

Like I said, you'll be fine but if you want to switch them out no one can stop you from doing so.

lol I was being sarcastic. Anyways, I am having a problem with the damn install.
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=448764

Ok, enough of me thread hijacking.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:59 AM
The Definitive AE Master

Originally Posted by upstatemax
Larrio, whats up with the Boss Chen coilovers??? When are we going to get some more info on them?
They are almost ready, three sets coming in next week. I need to pay sprintmax the .org vendor fee first before I advertise. PM me for more info
Old 01-05-2006, 05:33 PM

I would not put coil overs on my Maxima for any cold weather driving. It puts way too much stress on those shocks and they will blow out. My car would be sooooo stiff in the single digit mornings, that it felt like I was driving a car with wheels directly mounted to the frame vs suspended by springs and shocks.
Old 01-06-2006, 09:55 AM

does anyone know the different spring rates associated with all these coilovers. i believe ur a2s are stiffer than my a1s and that the teins were softer. and the d2s being softer still

i was thinking i was 9k up front and a weak 6k in the rears

since this is a sticky perhaps we all could add and build a database of the different spring rates as well as the amount of adjustability, damping as well as height. basiclly cover all things coilovers.
Old 01-06-2006, 10:02 AM

My D2 spring rate is 9/7 not soft at all... I am going to switch to 8/6 in spring most likely.
Old 01-06-2006, 10:08 AM
The Definitive AE Master

I had 8kg F and 6kg R but it was too soft with the dampeners I had made. I ended up with 9kg Eibach coilover springs in the front and that made things better.

You can get away with higher spring rates if you have good dampeners like JIC or Teins. Other companies use generic dampeners that are not as smooth in rebound
Old 01-10-2006, 09:39 PM

since this is a sticky perhaps we all could add and build a database of the different spring rates as well as the amount of adjustability, damping as well as height. basiclly cover all things coilovers.
I'd be interested to see the spring rates and damping if y'all can somehow compile the info....
Old 01-11-2006, 02:53 PM

edited

this is what i know so far. repost with newer data if u have it.

front rear
jic a1s 9k 6k
jic a2s ? ?
d2 8-9k 6-7k can be ordered at different rates.
eibach 9k ?
Tein SS ? ?
Tosers ? ?
K-sport 9k 6k
Boss chen8-10k 7-6k
Old 01-11-2006, 03:47 PM

this is what i know so far, feel free to add/change

front rear
jic a1s 9k 6k
jic a2s ? ?
d2 9k 7k
8k 6k
eibach 9k ?
Tein SS ? ?
Tosers ? ?
K-sport ? ?
Boss chen? ?

I think the KSports use Front:9k
Rear: 6k

As for the D2's, When I ordered mine I had to tell them what rate I wanted...

Quick Reply: Official Coilover Thread!! For everyones benefit!