5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Official Coilover Thread!! For everyones benefit!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2006, 02:04 PM
drag racing is for wussies

I wouldn't say JICs are not reliable, they only become unreliable if you do not grease the pillow ball mounts periodically OR use the suspension durring cold harsh winters. JICs are as close to "exotic suspension" as its going to get on a Maxima, they are designed for race use and when U are racing- who gives a ***** if its clunking- when the rest of the car is booooming with exhaust noise etc. I had Koni yellows in the past on my Maxima, and they where less reliable than my FLTA2s.

Don't expect soft ride with FLTA2s..... my ride makes a EVO feel comfortable at times.
Old 07-14-2006, 01:02 AM
Drug Money

I rock teh K-Sports. They're mad stiff.
Old 07-20-2006, 05:17 PM
The Definitive AE Master

You can't beat the K-sports and D2's in terms of value (only $600-$700 for a set)

You can't beat the JIC A2's in terms of performance (cream of the crop stuff)

You can't beat Tein SS for 5th gens in terms of race proven technology and EDFC function

BC's are for the weekend enthusiast that needs to drive their car to work on Monday. It sacrifices some features to provide others. As with all coilovers, its not for everybody. Coilovers do not hold up as well to extreme temperature ranges and bad road conditions (snow, winter salts, etc)

Its a big investment and should be a deep consideration. Don't merely read about what other's have told you, go out of your way to ride in a car equipped with one. The owner must realize the maintenance, care, and potential drawbacks when they purchase coilovers.

Oh, and Boss Chen's will have a EDFC option also. Secret project in the works. Tein better lookout.
Old 07-20-2006, 08:29 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

^^ is it possible for a businessman to be any more honest than this?
Old 07-20-2006, 08:48 PM
The Definitive AE Master

Oh, and it takes kind of long to get them because they are not mass produced. Its a one-on-one service kind of operation (like me sending you thank you cards during x-mas)
Old 08-11-2006, 01:23 PM

You can't beat the JIC A2's in terms of performance (cream of the crop stuff)

You can't beat Tein SS for 5th gens in terms of race proven technology and EDFC function

JIC FLT-A1 would be my choice over the Tein SS, actually it was. The A1 has many of the A2 features but is designed more for the street. Front pillow ball mounts, camber plates, and ride height is adjusted independent of the spring perch which allows full suspension travel at any height. You won't get that with the SS and the A1s can be had for $950.

The FLT-A2 is great for the track and about the best coilover out for the Maxima. However, if you’re looking for the best of both worlds take a look at the Maxima FLT-A2 VIP(A33FLTA2VIP):

JIC introduces our new FLT-A2 VIP coilover suspension system. The FLT-A2 VIP has all the same features as the FLT-A2 but made for luxury vehicles. The FLT-A2 VIP is designed for a comfortable ride while still retaining the same handling performance and quality found in the FLT-A2. It also allows the vehicle to have a very low drop along with larger diameter wheels without affecting the compression and rebound travel of the dampers. Rigorous testing of the dampers insures that comfort and handling qualities are met while giving the driver that very important VIP stance, improve handling, and gain that aggressive look. NOTE: Some applications may come with a rubber bushing upper mount for comfort and ride quality. A Pillow Ball upper mount may be substituted for additional cost and with no warranty.
Old 08-11-2006, 02:16 PM
drag racing is for wussies

I've had it with JIC- almost. No matter what you do this car can't handle well. I am going to get my fronts rebuild and will sell the whole kit probably to get some Teins.
Old 08-11-2006, 02:18 PM

I'd still like to hear a lot more about the Cattman/Progress setup if any 5th genners are running them. From what I've gathered, coilover setups employing an inverted monotube shock are best suited for our cars. Anything else appears to be a compromise (or so it seems..)
Old 08-11-2006, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by BlackBIRDVQ
I've had it with JIC- almost. No matter what you do this car can't handle well. I am going to get my fronts rebuild and will sell the whole kit probably to get some Teins.
I thought we already knew this...? The car's a boat, it's huge, it's heavy, it's FWD, and we're stuck w/ a stupid rear beam axle...

We have an 05 Altima in the family, and although it has a fair amount of body roll from the stock suspension and tires, I can't even describe in words how much having IRS helps... I'm sure a properly set up coilover system on an Altima or 6th gen would own any of us...

Heck, my mom's 02 Acura TL-P (NON type-s) even seems to hold its own against the modded max...
Old 08-11-2006, 02:27 PM
Boss Chen Industries

IIRC, the Cattman/Progress setup is non-dampening adjustable but is supposedly reconditioned specifically for the maxima application. Although I don't agree with the shortened strut body

You can read up on the old GD thread by Cattman:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....postid=1943384

And purchasing coilovers for an extreme drop purely for cosmetic reasons without addressing other suspension geometry issues with the car is a HUGE no, no. Companies that advocate or market products like that should re-think what they are telling the customer
Old 08-15-2006, 07:44 PM

I just ordered K-sports!! I wanted to get Boss Chens, but I dont have the time to wait for them as I am going back to school on the 26th. I will post up how I like them and how they compare to my h-techs.
Old 08-16-2006, 07:17 AM
Boss Chen Industries

Originally Posted by cutter
I just ordered K-sports!! I wanted to get Boss Chens, but I dont have the time to wait for them as I am going back to school on the 26th. I will post up how I like them and how they compare to my h-techs.
nice avatar, heh.

K-sports are a good choice, especially if you need them in a hurry with their wide distribution network
Old 09-25-2006, 06:54 AM

I will just add my .02 on this topic. I have recently installed the K-Sports (2000 miles or so) on my 03 SE and have been pretty pleased with the quality for the price. I had a set of HKS on my Lexus and they were hands down better in ride quality, performance and adjustability, but were more than twice the price.
My only real dissapointment in the K-Sports is the ride quality. They seem to have to high of a spring rate which doesnt allow enough adjustment when it comes to dampening. They are either rock hard like a go cart or can be turned down to just hard. The softest setting is still a firm sometimes rough ride.
All and all for the money I would recomend them to anyone, if your looking for the top of the line I would consider something else.
Old 10-10-2006, 09:22 PM

Ok my noise is coming back now that its getting cold around here again and I need to get rid of it! My spring keeps shifting when I turn I need those ES Spring isolators for my D2s does anyone have the part number for the ones I need? The ones that fit the D2s springs?
Old 10-11-2006, 04:25 AM

I ordered the 9.6103R ( ES Bushing )
Old 01-16-2007, 10:45 PM

Hey Guys, I'm from the 6th gen forum and need some advice on getting a set of Ksport coilovers for my max. What do I need to know about them? Maintenance? Pull them off in the winter, leave them on? whats a good ride height? Anyone know of where to get the best price? Thanks, Mike
Old 01-16-2007, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by NVRSATISFYD
Hey Guys, I'm from the 6th gen forum and need some advice on getting a set of Ksport coilovers for my max. What do I need to know about them? Maintenance? Pull them off in the winter, leave them on? whats a good ride height? Anyone know of where to get the best price? Thanks, Mike
You can read my above post to get an idea of what I think of the K-Sports. I have had them on now for about 4k and am ok with them because of the price. If I had paid more I wouldn't be as happy. They tend to make a good bit of noise (specially in the front) and I have had a real hard time keeping the keeper nuts threaded tight. They seem to back off in just a matter of days. If they are all tightened up the car stays pretty quiet but as soon as they start backing off it sounds loud and sloppy from the front end.
Lastly I still feel like the spring rate is wrong for this car due to the stiff and no rebound feeling at all settings soft to full firm.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:48 PM

Boss Chen Coilovers.

5,000 Miles

Very comfy. Love these coilovers. Great Handling at the same time.
Old 02-16-2007, 10:26 PM

I had Coilovers on my Honda, and my boy had them on his Acura... We both took them off in less then 2 weeks and went to springs. the ride was ok.... stock springs were more steady and gave us a better ride.... Coilover are more for the people who want that How low can you go attitude
Old 02-17-2007, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by babyboyws6
Coilover are more for the people who want that How low can you go attitude

Not really...

Many people on here have them and they are dropped less than some aftermarket springs... One of the biggest problems with just springs is they make the rear end look like it is saggy... No problem on coilovers since you can put it anywhere you want.

Most choose them because of how much you can adjust them to ride exactly how you want.

Beyond adjusting rebound you can put on almost any spring rate you want, you can pre-load the spring or even keep a gap, you can drop it for shows and pick it back up for everyday driving...
Old 02-17-2007, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by upstatemax
Not really...

Many people on here have them and they are dropped less than some aftermarket springs... One of the biggest problems with just springs is they make the rear end look like it is saggy... No problem on coilovers since you can put it anywhere you want.

Most choose them because of how much you can adjust them to ride exactly how you want.

Beyond adjusting rebound you can put on almost any spring rate you want, you can pre-load the spring or even keep a gap, you can drop it for shows and pick it back up for everyday driving...
well said.. with springs yeah the bag does appear to sag.. thats why most people drop the front more then the rear... so when it gets lazy and does end up sagging for w/e reason... it lookz just about level.
For show cars... to add tha agressive look, yeah it's a great feature to have. i guess it all depends on the brand.
Im more of a regular driver, doubt ima go to shows, just sum meets here and there.. who know maybe down the road i will get sum coil overs. i'll have to do plenty of research first
Old 02-21-2007, 05:10 PM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

I want the Boss Chens but gotta wait for the tax return....
Old 03-14-2007, 01:10 PM

ok so my stock suspension is hitting 70K miles. I cant feel the suspension dying on me but i feel like its going to die soon.....

I just bought 18" G35c Wheels. I want an even drop. Will coilovers do the job over seperate stocks and struts?

Ive been reading about struts and springs so much I became super indecisive......

I have K-Sports for coilovers and illuminas/H-techs for seperates in my head right now.....

So for 02-03 owners who modded. what did you buy?

btw... never heard of boss chens... are they one of those high quality coilover sets?
Old 03-16-2007, 07:14 PM

aiight guys i got a 2001 ae and have tried a couple of combonations cant get a good medium. any help would be appreciated. well ive had the k-sports way to stiff no matter what setting, great height adj/look. had s-techs on illuminas good stance horrible ride. now i got eibachs with illuminas good ride, best so far, but not low enough in the front but plenty of sag in the rear. i might have a good deal on a set of tien c/o from a guy i just met and not sure if i should spend money time changing. its more for looks than anything. i got 19" wheels drive the car everyday and still wanna keep some comfort but wanna close that front gap. please help!!!!!!
Old 03-16-2007, 07:26 PM

try getting different front springs. progress perhaps...
Old 03-17-2007, 09:43 AM
Boss Chen Industries

It will be hard to retain comfort with 19's due to the thin sidewall of the tire. Most of your ride changes will be from the tire size, spring rates, and shock dampening.

And coilovers are definitely NOT for those meaning to slam the ride. Any buyer mentioning that to me will be quickly sent to another company that doesn't care about your car. Drastically reducing your ride height with coilovers require a responsible look into the altered suspension geometry of other components (sway bar, control arm angle, etc).

Coilovers provide a lowered ride WITHOUT a sacrifice in suspension travel since it is independently adjustable from the spring characteristics. Usually when you drop your ride the lowering springs are too short and sacrifice ride quality & suspension travel for looks
Old 03-17-2007, 12:20 PM

well thing is the ride didnt change that much from the stock 17 235 45 17 to the 19s 245 35 19 honestly it rides about the same i dont wanna slam it i just want it to sit a little over the tire kinda like the s-techs but with a better ride
Old 03-20-2007, 07:11 AM

So this thread has swayed far from its original intent so I don't mind posting now. But reading this could confuse anyone rather than help.

My 2002 Maxima SE is the everyday car.
What coilovers would you reccomended, someone that has them? It sounds like the D2's have the best ride, price, quality combo.?

Some valuable input here please, Thanks!
Old 03-20-2007, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by '02_EMILBUS
So this thread has swayed far from its original intent so I don't mind posting now. But reading this could confuse anyone rather than help.

My 2002 Maxima SE is the everyday car.
What coilovers would you reccomended, someone that has them? It sounds like the D2's have the best ride, price, quality combo.?

Some valuable input here please, Thanks!

If you want to keep some comfort... Boss Chens. This is coming from a D2 owner.
Old 03-25-2007, 02:26 PM

What would be everyones opinion on the Paradox Systems Cefiro Coilovers? I have looked that them, but havn't heard any reveiws. I am looking into getting coilovers this summer and my choices are

JIC FTL A2- VIP
Boss Chen
and if I can get any good reveiws on the Paradox systems coilovers, then that would be my choice.

Any feedback on these would be helpful
Old 03-27-2007, 08:13 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Puppetmaster
I'd be interested to see the spring rates and damping if y'all can somehow compile the info....
this dude is selling me some ground controls coilovers anybody ever heard about them?and how will they ride with 20 inch on my 00 max people give me some info before i spend the money i work hard for
Old 03-27-2007, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by bk00maxse
this dude is selling me some ground controls coilovers anybody ever heard about them?and how will they ride with 20 inch on my 00 max people give me some info before i spend the money i work hard for

Not real coilovers, they are garbage. They tend to ride like $hit since you have to compress the spring to drop the car, unlike actual coilovers where you move the lower mount to lower the car saving the suspension travel and compression.
Old 04-18-2007, 11:29 PM

can anybody let me know what their settings are on their boss chens? getting a set, hoping for some rough numbers to look for starting with
Old 05-17-2007, 06:36 AM
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Brand of coilovers: Boss Chen

Miles i've been running on them: Almost 1000

How much you paid: ~$850

Any run-ins you had with installation: None really, pretty straight forward.

Any problems with the coilovers on your car: No, a few cricks and creeks, but that is to be expected.

Positive change you noticed the most: Ride quality and stance.

Any other notes you would like to add about the coilovers you HAVE ON YOUR CAR: These have to be THE MOST COMFORTABLE coilovers available. Although Larry sacrificed a little handling for a better ride, they still handle pretty darn good. I don't have the struts set to their stiffest setting, so that might help with handling. So far there have been no problems (knocks on wood) but we'll see what happens after I've been on them for a while and they get their first winter.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:21 AM
Nightmare = Reality

hey. I am not running anything currently on my 03, but I was curious to ask if anyone has tried, or contemplated running spring/strut fronts with a coilover rear? It seems like EVERYONE's big deal between mixing and matching, and finding certain sets, is having an even-looking ride height. Basically, I had a moment and thought, "has anyone done something like Tein H-techs in the front and some Tein SS coilovers in the rear?" I know that somewhat defeats the large amounts of adjustment, but I personally was thinking on vogtlands/illuminas, but the ride height in the rear always bugged me. anyone?
Old 05-22-2007, 12:40 PM

Just get something cheap like Ksports all around...
Old 05-22-2007, 12:43 PM

How much is it to rebuild a k-sport shock and how long to they last roughly.
Old 05-22-2007, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by machinehead131
How much is it to rebuild a k-sport shock and how long to they last roughly.

They have a one year warranty and it is usually around $100/ea for a rebuilt strut.
Old 05-22-2007, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by upstatemax
They have a one year warranty and it is usually around $100/ea for a rebuilt strut.

is 20k a lot for these struts?
Old 05-22-2007, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by machinehead131
is 20k a lot for these struts?

Really depends on how you treat them... They would last MUCH longer for you, if you take off the coilovers for the winter and slap the stock suspension on...

Winters are terrible for any coilover strut.

My D2's are pushing 20k and the struts are still fine, they have also never seen a winter... Some have had them blow right after a year.

Quick Reply: Official Coilover Thread!! For everyones benefit!