5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

something I noticed about the D2 coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2005, 07:28 PM

Can anyone give the right part number for the ES bushing, I've check their website but I'm not shure what's the right size.

Thanks.
Old 12-02-2005, 03:34 AM
Doctorate in Detailing

Originally Posted by upstatemax
On MY car it is the lower mount, the alan scews back out and cause it to make noises. I can tighten them and it will be back in a week. The one solution to the problem is to redesign the lower mount, I think they should do away with the alan screws and put in through bolts/nuts that can be torqued down and will not loosen...
Mine have not loosened up to any large degree. I just checked them when I put on my winter tires and was only able to tighten them a very small amount. (1/16 of a turn) I have not noticed any noise from them.

Do you have the ones from the original GD? Mine are from the second deal.
Old 12-02-2005, 03:09 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Bluesbrekr

Is the second GD the one where mark240 bounced on the whole thing and people lost a ton of money, then Urban Import hooked up the original GD members who could still get them??

...Yeah I was in that one if that is the second one.
Old 12-02-2005, 03:32 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

Originally Posted by doublea
Can anyone give the right part number for the ES bushing, I've check their website but I'm not shure what's the right size.

Thanks.
Check here...

On MY car it is the lower mount, the alan scews back out and cause it to make noises. I can tighten them and it will be back in a week. The one solution to the problem is to redesign the lower mount, I think they should do away with the alan screws and put in through bolts/nuts that can be torqued down and will not loosen...
I never had any issues with the allen bolts backing out. I actually replaced the original allen bolts with stainless steel based on experiences with rusting (Stillen rear sway bar bolts). When I replaced them I used antisieze and haven't had any issues with them loosening up. I think your best bet would be to try loctite on the bolts and see how that helps.

Originally Posted by Bluesbrekr
Mine have not loosened up to any large degree. I just checked them when I put on my winter tires and was only able to tighten them a very small amount. (1/16 of a turn) I have not noticed any noise from them.

I have the ones from the original group deal.
Old 12-02-2005, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by foodmanry
Check here...

I never had any issues with the allen bolts backing out. I actually replaced the original allen bolts with stainless steel based on experiences with rusting (Stillen rear sway bar bolts). When I replaced them I used antisieze and haven't had any issues with them loosening up. I think your best bet would be to try loctite on the bolts and see how that helps.

I have used loctite and I had the same results. When I replaced the screws, I tried to find SS ones and I could not find them anywhere, where did you get them?
Old 12-02-2005, 03:53 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

I have used loctite and I had the same results. When I replaced the screws, I tried to find SS ones and I could not find them anywhere, where did you get them?
Which loctite did you use? There are a few types and I think the red loctite is the strongest one. I got the SS bolts at a local hardware store. They carried a HUGE variety of fasteners.
Old 12-02-2005, 05:00 PM

... I have an idea I want to tr out. I have an extra set of the lower mounts now, I think I am going to see if the original holes can be drilled out and fit a nut and bolt combo that can torque down better.

I have to really look at them and make sure it will not sacrifice any of the mounts strength... I dont want it to break on me
Old 12-02-2005, 07:08 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

... I have an idea I want to tr out. I have an extra set of the lower mounts now, I think I am going to see if the original holes can be drilled out and fit a nut and bolt combo that can torque down better.

I have to really look at them and make sure it will not sacrifice any of the mounts strength... I dont want it to break on me
Yeah I don't think you would sacrifice much strength if you just smoothed the hole out. Then you can get extra long allen bolts and use a locknut and be done. The only issue I can think of it potential clearance. I mean the bolt or nut may rub against a brake line or something, but that is doubtful. Just something to keep in mind.
Old 03-04-2006, 08:51 AM
Da Roller Coaster!

FYI....for everyone who is still checking this thread out I evaluated the hardiness of the coil spring isolaters I purchased from summit racing (check Post #127). They held up OK, however when I installed them I did not put any grease on them thinking that the polyurethane has pretty good friction properties. Well they held up for about 2 months and I noticed some tearing on them, but nowhere near as bad as the stock isolators that came with the D2's. I ordered some more sets and this time I will grease when I install them.

Only thing is that Summit Racing is slooooowww.....so I probably won't get the sets for about 4 to 8 weeks.

I did order an extra set of shock boots too because one of mine is tearing. Got those from Summit, made by Energy Suspension. The part # is ENS-9-8130G (black). They come in all these cute colors...fabulous.
Old 03-04-2006, 11:07 AM

Thanks for the heads up, I just order 4 kits, the price is 8.39$ per kit.

It should take about a month to get it.

Thanks again.
Old 03-04-2006, 11:50 AM
Da Roller Coaster!

Originally Posted by doublea
Thanks for the heads up, I just order 4 kits, the price is 8.39$ per kit.

It should take about a month to get it.

Thanks again.
Yeah they bumped up the price.....it was $7.69, but that is still really cheap. Only issue is getting them...I think one month to receive is unlikely, but we'll see!

Remember...put a light layer of grease on the inside of the isolator. What I mean by inside is the side that touches the spring. I would not grease the side that touches the top hat.
Old 03-04-2006, 11:56 AM

Ok I'm taking good note, I'll be greasing the inside.

I'll let you know once it's done.

Cheers

AA
Old 03-11-2006, 04:16 PM
Boss Chen Industries

I recommend white lithium grease
Old 03-12-2006, 05:59 AM
Da Roller Coaster!

Originally Posted by Larrio Motors
I recommend white lithium grease
Hmm...my only concern with that is the durability over time. I used wheel bearing/engine grease on my isolators I had before and it worked well up until the coilovers tore apart the isolators.
Old 06-08-2007, 12:55 PM
$$ Ballin on a Budget $$

Are there any updates with D2's as far as quality of structure? I am interested in these coilovers but getting scared at all the issues that have came up. Considering this thread started in 05, surely there has been improvments to these issues. Thanks
Old 06-08-2007, 01:15 PM
Boss Chen Industries

no change in design from what I can see. Just go with K-sports, it has a slightly different and better design