5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

something I noticed about the D2 coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2004, 08:21 PM
I live life on the edge

Originally Posted by Ammi
For those of you that bought the D2s, did you guys make your own gasket or just used that think OEM gasket?
I'm a craftsman........... I designed and mad my own
Old 10-28-2004, 08:48 PM
The Definitive AE Master

I used the stock OEM gaskets separating the front coilovers from the chassis of the car. But I made my own gaskets for the rubber boots that ripped between the spring and coilover.

btw, urban imports is the absolute best. I called mike today and he told me he's gonna ship out a replacement strut for the front passenger side today
Old 10-28-2004, 10:12 PM
350 Detroit Muscle

What method/material did you use?
Old 10-28-2004, 10:20 PM
The Definitive AE Master

i took measurements of the stock rubber boots and then cut out the corresponding size in hard rubber material I found at home depot. I also have the same size cuts with a variety of materials (planning to switch around, but so far so good)

anything to keep the spring from hitting the aluminum directly
Old 10-29-2004, 08:05 AM
I live life on the edge

Originally Posted by Ammi
What method/material did you use?
Its just a sheet of 1/16" gasket material from the part store. Only a few dollars. Trace out hte old gasket and cut carefully.
Old 11-30-2004, 06:43 PM
Wat

I hope the ones in the latest GD will not suffer from the clunking
Old 12-06-2004, 07:43 AM

Ok, so to adjust the height of the car you must move #14 in the above picture. In order to move this part do you need to remove screw #15 (does this screw lock #14 so it doesn't move?) and screw #14 up or down? Please let me know, thanks!!
Also what did you guys figure to be the best replacement for the rubber gaskets #5 & 10? Lastly, did you just cut a circular piece of the gasket to replace the rubber boot or did the piece you cut have a rubber lip that fits around the coilover?
Old 12-06-2004, 07:56 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I greased mine up this weekend after trying everything to make them quiet. The grease worked ok until this morning when it sounded like the two struts were having a conversation about the roads.

I have never had a noiser suspension than this one. Is it the D2s or the car? Between the squeeks and the clunks, I can't find the cause.
Old 12-07-2004, 09:43 PM
BlkShadow01

i dont know anything about coilovers

i need to get rims and subs but first a job n a car

lol j/k i got a car but its in the shop since i got a dent n i got new lights but ill have it by end of january ... hit me up if ure near chiiiiiiii town

Old 12-11-2004, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by skalberti
The noise will be so loud , you'll swear somethings about to fall off the front of your car. Not only that but you wil feel like someone is beating the floorboard with a hammer. Just follow my strut test and you can tell real quick if its the strut. A good strut will have a very fast rebound and will be very smooth durning compression and rebound. Also you should hear any gurgling or bubbling sounds. Good luck

I've not done the test as you outlined it. But it definitely sounds like something is about to fall off my car.

This is D2s on a Nissan Primera P10 (Infiniti G20 P10) I have knocking on at least two up to now....

MP3 file of knocking sound

Does it sound like I have the same problem as you had ??
Old 12-11-2004, 09:50 AM
Wat

something is just rattling around loose is what it sounds like
Old 12-11-2004, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by E55AMG2
something is just rattling around loose is what it sounds like
All collars, bolts and bushes are good. It has to be the internals of the damper as far as I can see. I have it on opposite corners as well. McPherson strut rear and multi link front suspension...

I guess I'll know for definite when I get the damper off, it's damn cold here in the UK now though...
Old 12-11-2004, 10:01 AM
I live life on the edge

Originally Posted by markbuts3
I've not done the test as you outlined it. But it definitely sounds like something is about to fall off my car.

This is D2s on a Nissan Primera P10 (Infiniti G20 P10) I have knocking on at least two up to now....

MP3 file of knocking sound

Does it sound like I have the same problem as you had ??
Yep, that be it
Old 12-11-2004, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by skalberti
Yep, that be it
Thanks man.

I'm trying to get them sorted through warranty at the moment. It's dificult when they were bought through a US group buy, then shipped to the UK. Hopefully D2 will ship direct to me, they wouldn't for the GB because there is a dealer in the UK (who charge loads more for them)....
Old 12-18-2004, 01:04 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I haven't had any problems wtih mine but i have noticed with my friends TEIN coilovers on his 240sx they tend to make more noise when it is cold out.... not sure if this is a factor with the problems some people are having.
Old 12-18-2004, 01:55 PM

I don't think it'd matter how warm or cold it is m8, mine are as noisy as hell.
Three are knocking now....
Old 12-19-2004, 08:48 PM
BlkShadow01

So is there a way to drop your car without getting the messed up coilovers and the crazy noise?

Old 12-19-2004, 09:39 PM
The Definitive AE Master

that sounds like the top plate underneath the pillow ball mount is loose and moving. Try tightening the top bolt and put mild thread locker on it. You'll need some type of power tool to remove that top bolt without the strut spinning in place
Old 12-20-2004, 10:38 AM

I don't have time to read the entire thread today... but I did call D2 because I am interested in buying the set-up but wanted to see if they issue had been addressed. Apparantly some shipments went out with the pillow mounts not being lubricated properly. I guess its been fixed. Those of you who ended up with messed up stuff might want to call them about it.

www.d2racing.com

If someone has already found out this info... ignore this post.
Old 12-21-2004, 08:37 AM

Wow with noise like that, i'd rather drive a Chevy Sprint. Are there any updates as to what D2 has done to resolve this issue?

LEMAR
Old 12-21-2004, 05:27 PM
The Definitive AE Master

if its not a blown strut, then its not a d2 problem.... all the owner has to do is tighten that top bolt (post #100)
Old 12-21-2004, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Larrio
if its not a blown strut, then its not a d2 problem.... all the owner has to do is tighten that top bolt (post #100)
Top nuts are tight, and I don't have PBMs...
Old 12-24-2004, 10:37 AM

Just FYI, the knocking is the damper rod moving side to side as there is slack where the rod enters the damper body....
Old 12-24-2004, 11:25 PM
Horra!!

Originally Posted by markbuts3
Just FYI, the knocking is the damper rod moving side to side as there is slack where the rod enters the damper body....
Would this be another defect with the D2 struts? Got any pics?
Old 12-25-2004, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by looslip
Would this be another defect with the D2 struts? Got any pics?
Sorry no pics. D2 have been emailed by the supplier to get replacement dampers. Let's see what happens.....
Old 12-26-2004, 05:35 PM
The original VQ...

ehh, now im realy debating wether i should ditch out 700$$ for these.

Have the custom gaskets fixed the noise problem completly for anyone?

Has anyone fixed their noise problem by just tightening the top bolt?
Old 12-26-2004, 10:38 PM
The Definitive AE Master

custom gaskets + reassembly. No noise for me
Old 12-26-2004, 10:43 PM
I live life on the edge

Originally Posted by Larrio
custom gaskets + reassembly. No noise for me
No blown struts Larrio?
Old 12-27-2004, 05:42 AM
The Definitive AE Master

at first I thought so, but after taking it apart and inspecting it that wasnt the case. So I just made custom gaskets and reassembled it. I might go with the ES bushings mentioned in another thread
Old 01-04-2005, 08:26 AM
Da Roller Coaster!

Well now I have at least one blown strut, if not too. I can hear the rattling noise coming from the front left strut for sure. I believe I hear it from the front right too.

I'll have to check into it further and make sure.

Anyone have problems with their rear struts being blown? I will probably check those just in case.

For people who have had their struts replaced, how long did it take to get them? I've got a road trip coming up soon...
Old 01-04-2005, 08:52 AM
The Definitive AE Master

i'm getting weird noises from the front driver's side coilover. I"ll have to check if its blown after all this rain stops in CA
Old 01-04-2005, 10:47 AM

I got the replacements for the front two. Now the back is making the poping and clunking noise. This is just bad.
Old 01-04-2005, 11:49 AM
The Definitive AE Master

I think maybe cause they use a generic strut for all their coilovers assemblies. They just change the lower bracket and upper pillow ball to fit various vehicles.

I've googled up other d2 threads for various vehicles, everyone has relatively the same problems or none at all.
1. popping/gurgling noises
2. clunking
3. pillow ball seizing (feels like you lost power steering)
Old 01-04-2005, 05:15 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

Guess I'll be keeping my Eibachs and KYB's just in case.....
Old 01-04-2005, 07:18 PM
The Definitive AE Master

nah... i'm never going back. It never makes noises turning or on the track
Old 01-08-2005, 05:31 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

Well I just got done going through my D2's. A couple things were loose, like the height adjustments on the two front coilovers. The rears were solid with nothing loose and no sound whatsoever. The gaskets that TET made for me didn't hold up too well on the front right coilover. They definitely need to be replaced. I do have a question regarding the pictures below....

Front Left Coilover

Should there be a gap in the top hat and the spring as shown? I thought that the spring should be tight up against the top hat and height adjustment.

I have the same situation on the front, right coilover as seen below.

Front Right Coilover

There you can see how loose the height adjustment is. Crazy!!

Here is a picture of the right rear coilover. You can see that the spring is tight against the top hat and the height adjustment. This is what I think the fronts should look like as well.

Right Rear Coilover

I can definitely hear the knocking sound on both front coilovers. I'll be calling Mike at Urban Imports tomorrow about it and see if he can get replacements out here quick.

FYI...since I don't have any top gasket between the top hat and spring I can definitely hear more creaking coming from that coilover. So if you hear creaking, then your top hat gasket is not on straight, torn, or destroyed. Here is what mine looked like (minus the cut).

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...16_84_full.jpg

That was one that TET made for me.
Old 01-08-2005, 08:23 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

Originally Posted by TopElement
The gasket material i used on your coilovers are significantly stronger than what D2 sends out, and they actually fit. The rubber gaskets supplied by D2 don't even fit inside the spring, and tear as soon as the spring tries to seat onto the collar. This suspension is turning out to be a real PITA, as almost everyone seem to be having problems. I always makes sure to tighten the collars really well, but for some reason they seem to work themseleves loose.

BTW, the spring isn't seated on the collar because you have the car jacked up. This is why many other kits use soft helper springs, to take up that gap when the strut is fully extended.
Yeah Andy. I wasn't pointing you out. You did a good job installing the coilovers with what you had to go through. It seems that there are issues with the coilovers that need to be ironed out. We'll see what Mike says when I call him on Monday.
Old 01-14-2005, 10:25 AM

I found this posted on SR20Forum....Originally posted here

(Originally Posted by UrbanImport)
UPDATE

This thread has come our attention and I wanted to address some of the concerns. At one point D2 switched manufacturers for some of the oils in the shock and so far all the shocks which have had excessive noise coming from them have been traced back to this manufacturing run. D2 has since switched back to the original supplier and all coilovers sold recently and any sold from now on should not experience this problem. Again I want to stress that this issue is not a problem with every D2 coilover sold, only some. It may not even affect all 4 coilovers, depending on the dampening it could just be your rear struts or just your front struts that are affected.

We have extra replacement struts on the way from D2. If you feel your coilovers might be affected by this you will (upon confirmation of defect) be eligible for replacements free of charge. We will also extend this offer through next winter to be sure that if your shocks are from the questionable batch you will be eligible for a replacement then even if they don't start acting up until that time. I would like to reiterate that this does not affect all shocks only a relatively small # of the overall coilovers in the US. If you feel that you are affected by this please call us AFTER FEB 1ST (we should have replacements by then) @ 919-383-5000.

-Michael
D2 Racing North America
Old 01-15-2005, 04:14 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

I changed out my front struts last night with a new pair that UrbanImport shipped me. It was a trying night since my friend and I were very pressed for time and we were making some new spacer/gaskets out of Delrin. Took a little while to get the process down for making the spacers, but they turned out pretty good.

Basically had to take out the entire coilover setup, less the top mount. The bottom mount allen bolts were frozen and we ended up snapping one off. Luckily we got it out without stripping the threads.

After switching out the struts I noticed the knocking noise was still there, in fact it was worse. I checked and tightened everything. I wonder if its the spacers causing the noise. The spacers are made from from 1/4-inch Delrin (plastic). What I'll probably do is switch the struts back and keep the spacers in to see how that affects the knocking. More to come later with pics.
Old 01-16-2005, 05:24 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

I believe I found the source of my noise. It had to do with the spacers I made. There are two problems with them:

1. They do not fit snugly on the mounts, there is a gap between the mount and the inner diameter of the spacer. It can be seen in this picture.

This gap will allow the spacer to be loose and since the material has low friction the spacer slides around.

2. The spacer is too thick. There is not real seat for the spring. I made this problem even worse when trying to do a quick fix on the first problem by wrapping electrical tape around the spacer. First problem was fixed, but I ended up with the same noise due to the spring moving around. Here are a few pictures of what I am talking about.

That is the spacer wrapped in electrical tape.

The spacer thickness seen here. It is thicker than the seat for the spring.

The rest of the pictures of the spacer fab and fix (kind of) can be seen here.

Spacer Fab and Quick Fix

Initially I had used two holes saws to cut out the spacer from the material. Holesaws are not that accurate, but I figured it would be good enough. Apparently it is not. Secondly the material I ordered was too thick at 1/4 of an inch. I need to use 1/8 inch material or 3/16 of an inch to maintain a seat for the spring.

Two possible solution I have been thinking of doing:

1. Having a machine shop fab the pieces for me out of 1/8 inch delrin.

2. Using high impact nylon tubing with an ID slightly smaller than what will fit on the spring seat, and an OD that is suffucient to hold spring in place. With a smaller ID a drum sander on a drill press can be used to slowly remove material until the proper ID is obtained. Ordering a custom ID tube is serious money.

Option 1 would be good for people who want to go this route with spacers. All people who ordered D2's will eventually need somekind of spacer/gasket between the spring and the top/bottom hats. If we can get a big enough group deal going the pieces will be relatively inexpensive.

Anyone else want to go this route?

Quick Reply: something I noticed about the D2 coilovers