5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

something I noticed about the D2 coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2004, 05:41 PM
The Definitive AE Master

mine was done at a shop with all torque settings listed under the nissan FSM since the D2's do not come with installation instructions. Those top bolts were so tight for the first week that I thought I lost power steering cause the pillow ***** were so stiff that they weren't rotating properly
Old 10-11-2004, 05:45 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Not the top ones. The one on the bottom is what he was telling me. I also remember 1max2nv was saying something about his having an issue too and it was on the bottom, some problem during installation.
Old 10-11-2004, 05:56 PM
I live life on the edge

Originally Posted by dblrr900
Not the top ones. The one on the bottom is what he was telling me. I also remember 1max2nv was saying something about his having an issue too and it was on the bottom, some problem during installation.
there are two bolts on the bottom. These are the ones that 1max2nv said to make sure they are very tight. I talked with Mike at Urban today as well. After driving for a couple of weeks on these, all components of the coilover are intact. THe rubber pads on the upper and lower part of the coil are in perfect shape and not torn. All bolt were rechecked for tightness and are very tight. The front left, no problem and not an ounce of noise. The right one however has a loose metal clacking noise, as if some bolts were loose ans the whole coilover assembly was moving around in the strut tower. Its getting louder and I'm getting more concerned. Nothing is loose though after checking. I'm betting its the pilowball mount or the strut itself. heres a pic of the two bolts on the lower section
Old 10-11-2004, 06:03 PM

It seems like everyone is having a problem with just one.... either right or left front.

Maybe the whole thing needs to be pulled and replaced with a new one from D2. I think they should look at this as a chance to show their customer support and RMA out the units that are making so much noise....

Only because and sell and support one (1) product I speak like this, because your name is all you have and your reputation is built on quality and your customer service.
Old 10-11-2004, 06:08 PM
I live life on the edge

I agree, Mike told me there would be no problem to warranty the defective unit out if thats what is determined to be wrong. If they were supposed to make that much noise the left one would be doing the same, but its not. If I get this right side like the left side, I would have nothing but superb things to say about these. Hopefully Mike can get these taken care of and customer service can be added to the list of
Old 10-12-2004, 02:08 AM
I miss the .org!

Oh boy...just continue to keep us updated fellas...
Old 10-12-2004, 04:45 AM

I hope youll get another one under warranty. D2's seem like they value their customers!
Old 10-12-2004, 07:44 AM

Uh, maybe this is a dumb question, but I take it there is no needle bearing above the spring in the D2's? My son had that problem with his coilovers and ended up buying a set of needle bearings from Truechoice.
Old 10-12-2004, 08:46 AM
The Definitive AE Master

i am unsure exactly what part needs to be warrantied. But yes, only my front right side makes noise.
Old 10-18-2004, 11:44 AM

Has anyone resolved there noise issues yet?
Old 10-18-2004, 01:36 PM
The Definitive AE Master

i have by doing what i mentioned above. However there is still some minor noise because all my rubber boots were torn apart or shredded from the original issue so the spring is just sitting in there by itself naked and exposed.. heh.
Old 10-18-2004, 02:13 PM
I live life on the edge

Originally Posted by Larrio
i have by doing what i mentioned above. However there is still some minor noise because all my rubber boots were torn apart or shredded from the original issue so the spring is just sitting in there by itself naked and exposed.. heh.
I talked with Mike at Urban about my noise. He emailed D2 in Japan about the problem and this was there suggestions. The english is bad, but considering they're from Japan I guess its not too bad. This didn't help my problem any, but maybe it will help others.
If you have trouble reading the pics let me know and I can email them to you. This is what D2 wrote:

"Regarding the A33 that customer have is the new design, and it doesn't need the perch lock. The noise will cause by some situation :

To check the unusual noise (Mcpherson Type):

When the noise is cause by hit the rough:

1. Please go up the car and measure the length of No.4 to No.11 (as the attachment "0929 DM") after the tire is off the ground, then decompose the coilovers and take the spring out, measure the length of the spring, the length should be same as the No.4 to No. 11.

2. Check the No. 15 has to be tighten up.

3. If the unusual noise still not fix, please switch the left and right (Front) coilovers, if the unusual noise isn't followed with the coilover to the other side which means the noise is comes from the car not coilovers.

If the noise is cause by made a turn :

Please check the attachment "B". The rubber on Mcpherson type coilover has to be combined tightly between the spring and the spring tray on its position to avoid unusual noise. They must be matched by dropping the car on the ground and there is no other way, the rubber must be installed and can not be removed."

Old 10-18-2004, 03:29 PM
The Definitive AE Master

i don't really understand what thats trying to say. I've called their main office in taiwan and they got really defensive when I was asking about the pre-assembly of the coilovers.

if i measured the spring with no pre-load, it would measure the same whether the spring was on the car or not. Too bad they don't address the problem as to why their rubber gasket/boot/seal is such a bad design. Its too thick, which causes the spring to be mashed in between the aluminum hats

btw, D2 is from taiwan. The english and writing on the first attachment is chinese
Old 10-18-2004, 04:36 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

American parts....Russian parts....ALL MADE IN TAIWAN!!!!!!

Sorry...had to do it.
Old 10-18-2004, 04:56 PM
I live life on the edge

Its all greek to me
Old 10-18-2004, 09:36 PM

Just to clarify I don't know if everyone is clear on left and right. So please say driver or passenger side. Mine only makes a noise on the passenger side while hitting bumps or taking corners. Really sucks. I think it might be in the pillow ball mount since I checked all the rest on install but will be watching this closely. I am having a ***** of a time getting an allignment. Only one place in town can do them between the 18" wheel and it being to low to fit on Nissan's machine here in town.
Old 10-18-2004, 10:27 PM
The Definitive AE Master

same here, passenger side coilover. However i have gotten most of the noise away. I'll be replacing the torn seals/boots with custom trimmed plastic material this weekend
Old 10-19-2004, 12:28 PM
I live life on the edge

Yep passenger side here to. No problems with alignment though. He said it was hardly even out, could have even gotten by without one. Lowered 2.5" in front and 1.5 in back.
Old 10-19-2004, 01:50 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

Hmmm...interesting info. I was going to have mine installed this weekend, but I may hold off a bit to see some more feedback and responses from D2. The tearing of the rubber concerns me...
Old 10-19-2004, 02:11 PM
The Definitive AE Master

Originally Posted by foodmanry
Hmmm...interesting info. I was going to have mine installed this weekend, but I may hold off a bit to see some more feedback and responses from D2. The tearing of the rubber concerns me...
andy knows how to prevent it. He will put it in right the first time and fix all the preassembled parts from d2
Old 10-19-2004, 03:29 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

andy knows how to prevent it. He will put it in right the first time and fix all the preassembled parts from d2
Damn good...he should start making his own coilovers.
Old 10-19-2004, 04:55 PM
I live life on the edge

Who's Andy? Is this an assembly problem? Why aren't the driver side coilovers making noise if its an assembly issue? Can Andy post this assembly fix with some pics? and lastly who's for doing this to us? Also has anyone noticed that this noise is temp related? Its been kinda cool here the past few days, in the 40's and 50's, and the noise is constant. Today we got up to almost 90 and hardly any noise? Just some food for thought
Old 10-19-2004, 05:38 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

Temp related probably because of grease. Did you grease your coilovers at all? Also in the cold everything stiffens, and metal is less malleable. With that it's more lible to creak, and groan.
Old 10-20-2004, 08:02 AM

Ok well I just got back from TRYING to get an allignment. The mechanic comes in and says you have a major problem because you have no suspension travel. Did these come shipped with the shock in a lock position. What the hell is wrong. No instructions came with these and I did as mention on here. These are turning out to be a pain in the butt. Also since the rear is not adustable for the allignment what do you do. They said my camber was off and said they could physically bend the axle to adjust it. I need to know what is up because my car really isn't safe right now to drive. When the car is jacked up the wheel should let down some and it barely moves so there is no suspension travel. Please help anyone else have this??
Old 10-20-2004, 09:56 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

how is he going to "bend the axle" ?
Old 10-20-2004, 09:56 AM
The Definitive AE Master

Originally Posted by skalberti
Who's Andy? Is this an assembly problem? Why aren't the driver side coilovers making noise if its an assembly issue? Can Andy post this assembly fix with some pics? and lastly who's for doing this to us? Also has anyone noticed that this noise is temp related? Its been kinda cool here the past few days, in the 40's and 50's, and the noise is constant. Today we got up to almost 90 and hardly any noise? Just some food for thought
the assembly fix is that top bolt the holds the coilovers together is on too tight. Which caused the tearing of my rubber boots. We loosened that bolt and put thread locker, and put it back on snugly.

I have some noise right now cause I have no rubber at all keeping the springs from the aluminum hats. I'll have to fix that this weekend
Old 10-20-2004, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by slammed95
If that's really what the mechanic said, you should go somewhere else. These DO NOT come in "locked" position. The front simply come adjusted with the shock fully extended, which provides FULL suspension travel, much much more than lowering springs. However, you should adjust them to have about 1.5-2" of suspension droop, or downtravel. This means that when you jack up the car, the top of the fenderwell travels upwards about 1.5-2" from it's original proximity to the tire before the tires actually come off the ground.
You can't adjust a rear beam suspension, so why would the rear D2's need any camber adjustment? Camber stays the same at any ride height.
IMO, you should go to a shop that is experienced with real adjustable coilovers suspensions.
Well the place is Mike's frame shop. Nissan couldn't do it cause my car is too low for their machine. No one else could because of 18" wheels. I am around Topeka, KS now. Everyone said that this place was great and he did all the race cars for the local circle tracks. I will note that Mike was sick this morning and another employee said all this. He said my rear camber was off. I assume they treat it like a wreck and put it on a striaghtner or something. The factory setting would require the car to be jacked up quite a bit to get the wheels of the ground where these only take an inch or so. I am sure he has never seen that. He said it is unsafe because that would allow the tires to leave the road alot. His comment on the rear was that the camber was off. Does anyone know of a good allignment shop in Kansas City that would know about coilovers. I wouldn't mind someone giving my install the lookover at the same time as allignment. Might try my normal Nissan dealer back in Manhattan, but I don't know if they will do much better.
Old 10-20-2004, 12:13 PM

Larrio - I read on another thread in the general forum I think (search friendly, not) and someone made a gasket for their D2s. The gasket was cut from standard gasket material and fit to the top of the D2s.... Does this sound like what you are talking about?

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 10-20-2004, 01:02 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

Originally Posted by dblrr900
Larrio - I read on another thread in the general forum I think (search friendly, not) and someone made a gasket for their D2s. The gasket was cut from standard gasket material and fit to the top of the D2s.... Does this sound like what you are talking about?

Thanks for the feedback.
No. That is the top mount gasket that is between the top mount of the coilovers and beaneath the frame. The gasket material was rubber that was cut to fit. The original gasket is very thin. Skalberti used 3/8 inch rubber gasket material.
Old 10-20-2004, 04:07 PM
I live life on the edge

the assembly fix is that top bolt the holds the coilovers together is on too tight. Which caused the tearing of my rubber boots. We loosened that bolt and put thread locker, and put it back on snugly.

I have some noise right now cause I have no rubber at all keeping the springs from the aluminum hats. I'll have to fix that this weekend
You mean the top bolt under the dampener adjustment ****?
Old 10-26-2004, 04:11 PM

So i've been reading all this, and i am thinking , skip d2 coil overs and get illumina's and springs. so what happend with all this? whats going now?
Old 10-26-2004, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by SKYRockerr
So i've been reading all this, and i am thinking , skip d2 coil overs and get illumina's and springs. so what happend with all this? whats going now?
I talked to skalberti on Monday, we sent him a replacement strut last week and the problem has been resolved. We haven't had any other customers contact us with problems. I don't think there are any wide spread problems just a few kinks that needed to be worked out. We sell Illuminas and springs as well but to be perfectly honest with you you are going to be a LOT happier with a full coilover setup.
Old 10-26-2004, 11:21 PM
350 Detroit Muscle

Will you be having another GD if there are enough interests?
Old 10-26-2004, 11:42 PM
The Definitive AE Master

Originally Posted by UrbanImport
I talked to skalberti on Monday, we sent him a replacement strut last week and the problem has been resolved. We haven't had any other customers contact us with problems. I don't think there are any wide spread problems just a few kinks that needed to be worked out. We sell Illuminas and springs as well but to be perfectly honest with you you are going to be a LOT happier with a full coilover setup.
mike, this is larry. I have contacted you already with the same exact problems as skalberti. I'll call you sometime this week. I'm looking for a replacement strut also, but what do you need from me?
Old 10-27-2004, 12:06 AM

Yeah Im having the same problem with my front drivers side coilover... Im gonna try some of the things you guys said on this thread and see if the noises go away... Otherwise Id like to get it replaced too. Thanks
Old 10-27-2004, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Ammi
Will you be having another GD if there are enough interests?
More than likely no, the purpose of the first GD was to get the name out and test the product for the Maxima, the price the coilovers were offered at is wholesale pricing.

mike, this is larry. I have contacted you already with the same exact problems as skalberti. I'll call you sometime this week. I'm looking for a replacement strut also, but what do you need from me?
Larry, just give me a call and I'll get it taken care of. I will be out of the office next week due to the SEMA show so please give me a call by Friday so we can get your issue resolved ASAP. Thanks!
Old 10-27-2004, 10:43 PM
I live life on the edge

To test the strut, pull the complete coilover off and disassemble. With the coil spring off, invert the strut and compress fully. If your problem is the strut and you are having the same noise as me, you'll hear a loud pop and the strut will rebound (extend) back out very slowly. It will be hard to see moving, thats how slow it will be. Only the strut was replaced, because thats all that was bad. Not a complete coilover. I'm grinning ear to ear with these things now.
Old 10-27-2004, 10:46 PM
I live life on the edge

Actually my rubber pad mounts are a little torn, and still no noise. I've seen other coilover sets that don't even have a pad there. Looking at the design of these, there really aren't too many things to cause a noise on them
Old 10-27-2004, 10:50 PM
I live life on the edge

Originally Posted by Greeneyes
Yeah Im having the same problem with my front drivers side coilover... Im gonna try some of the things you guys said on this thread and see if the noises go away... Otherwise Id like to get it replaced too. Thanks
The noise will be so loud , you'll swear somethings about to fall off the front of your car. Not only that but you wil feel like someone is beating the floorboard with a hammer. Just follow my strut test and you can tell real quick if its the strut. A good strut will have a very fast rebound and will be very smooth durning compression and rebound. Also you should hear any gurgling or bubbling sounds. Good luck
Old 10-28-2004, 07:31 AM
350 Detroit Muscle

For those of you that bought the D2s, did you guys make your own gasket or just used that think OEM gasket?

Quick Reply: something I noticed about the D2 coilovers