5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Fog Lights w/Running Lights Rewired

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2001, 07:24 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

This is an explanation of how to wire your fog lights to operate with just the running lights on. Sorry, no pics available, however it's pretty simple. The factory setup only allows you to have them on with the low beams. This setup allows the fog light switch to still turn the fogs on/off, however the fogs still turn off once the brights are activated. I ran out of time to figure out how to provide the ground that was removed once the brights are turned on causing the fogs to turn off.

Directions:

0)DISCONNECT BATTERY!!!!

1) Remove passenger-side engine bay relay block cover 2-snaps. I also removed the coolant resevior to make things easier.

2) Remove the snaps to separate the middle section from the bottom. This step is to gain access to the bottom side of the BLUE foglight selinoids'(Top left corner of box) 4-wires.

3) Cut the Yellow wire with 2-silver horizontal bands leaving PLENTY of slack to splice. There are two yellow wires in the relay block, but only one goes to the fog light selinoids' "front-of-vehicle" terminal(right terminal if your looking down while on passenger side).

4) Splice a wire to the cut end that connects to the FOG LIGHT selinoid terminal NOT the one that goes OUT of the fuse block.

5) Drill or poke a hole in the bottom of the relay block case to allow the new wire you just spliced to fit through.

6) Connect the spliced wire with an inline fuse to the turn signals' RED wire with 2-yellow longitudinal stripes and single horizontal silver band every 1". You could also use the front side marker positive wire, but if you make them flash with your turn signals the fog lights will also flash.

7) Reconnect the battery and test ALL you lights. MAKE SURE your headlight switch is NOT in the high beam position or else the fogs will not work with the running lights. I did this and after I disassembled and reassembled everything 2-3 times, I realized I had everything correct but the high beam switch was on. Doooh!

8) Reassemble everything and uses LOTS of electrical tape.

Side Note: If you want to have the fog light switch turn on the fog lights withOUT needing the running lights to be on, you could probably just connect the spliced wire to a 12V source that is activated with the ignition instead of the turn signals constant 12V. However, I didn't have time to try this, but I will do this when I connect the turn signals and side markers.

P.S: I also noticed that you can access the front side markers from the bottom of your car once you remove the splash guard to access the fog lights. This might be easier and safer then poping them off with a screw driver.

Also, anyone know what that extra connector is for down by the fog lights?
Old 04-14-2001, 12:02 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

quick question. is the inline fuse REALLY needed? i went to Pepboys yesterday and all they had were 12 & 14 gauge inline fuses and the wire and butt connectors i'm using are 16 gauge. i'll try to hunt it down at Radio Shack but just wondering if it's all that necessary.

thanks.
Old 04-14-2001, 09:40 PM

Originally posted by areX
quick question. is the inline fuse REALLY needed? i went to Pepboys yesterday and all they had were 12 & 14 gauge inline fuses and the wire and butt connectors i'm using are 16 gauge. i'll try to hunt it down at Radio Shack but just wondering if it's all that necessary.

thanks.
No, the inline fuse isn't needed. Just a precaution.
Old 09-27-2002, 09:06 AM

Originally posted by IceY2K1
This is an explanation of how to wire your fog lights to operate with just the running lights on. Sorry, no pics available, however it's pretty simple. The factory setup only allows you to have them on with the low beams. This setup allows the fog light switch to still turn the fogs on/off, however the fogs still turn off once the brights are activated. I ran out of time to figure out how to provide the ground that was removed once the brights are turned on causing the fogs to turn off.

Directions:

0)DISCONNECT BATTERY!!!!

1) Remove passenger-side engine bay relay block cover 2-snaps. I also removed the coolant resevior to make things easier.

2) Remove the snaps to separate the middle section from the bottom. This step is to gain access to the bottom side of the BLUE foglight selinoids'(Top left corner of box) 4-wires.

3) Cut the Yellow wire with 2-silver horizontal bands leaving PLENTY of slack to splice. There are two yellow wires in the relay block, but only one goes to the fog light selinoids' "front-of-vehicle" terminal(right terminal if your looking down while on passenger side).

4) Splice a wire to the cut end that connects to the FOG LIGHT selinoid terminal NOT the one that goes OUT of the fuse block.

5) Drill or poke a hole in the bottom of the relay block case to allow the new wire you just spliced to fit through.

6) Connect the spliced wire with an inline fuse to the turn signals' RED wire with 2-yellow longitudinal stripes and single horizontal silver band every 1". You could also use the front side marker positive wire, but if you make them flash with your turn signals the fog lights will also flash.

7) Reconnect the battery and test ALL you lights. MAKE SURE your headlight switch is NOT in the high beam position or else the fogs will not work with the running lights. I did this and after I disassembled and reassembled everything 2-3 times, I realized I had everything correct but the high beam switch was on. Doooh!

8) Reassemble everything and uses LOTS of electrical tape.

Side Note: If you want to have the fog light switch turn on the fog lights withOUT needing the running lights to be on, you could probably just connect the spliced wire to a 12V source that is activated with the ignition instead of the turn signals constant 12V. However, I didn't have time to try this, but I will do this when I connect the turn signals and side markers.

P.S: I also noticed that you can access the front side markers from the bottom of your car once you remove the splash guard to access the fog lights. This might be easier and safer then poping them off with a screw driver.

Also, anyone know what that extra connector is for down by the fog lights?
Does these instructions work on a 02 SE as well and how hard is this to do. And how long does it take?? Thanks for the info
Old 09-27-2002, 09:27 AM

Originally posted by Mike Evans
Does these instructions work on a 02 SE as well and how hard is this to do. And how long does it take?? Thanks for the info
Same instructions, but different colored wires in the 2k2. The now defunked 5thgenmaximas.com had a great writeup with pics, that even us 2k2 guys got a lot of use out of.

You may want to try www.max-world.com as much of 5thgenmaximas.com got moved there.

If you really wish, I can take pictures of my 2k2 re-wire. It isn't that hard, you can do everything in about 1/2 hour with basic tools and a 3M wire tap.
Old 09-27-2002, 09:36 AM

You got a PM....

Originally posted by Mike Evans
Contact Y2KevSE for the writeup with pictures.
Old 09-27-2002, 09:42 AM

hey ice, isnt this what you did with pics?
http://boostedmaximas.com/howto/fogrewire.html
Old 09-27-2002, 09:57 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

haha.. it's cool someone actually used the Search! MAN!, this is an old post.
Old 09-27-2002, 10:07 AM

Yep....

Originally posted by big h
hey ice, isnt this what you did with pics?
http://boostedmaximas.com/howto/fogrewire.html
But of course Russ makes purdy writeups. Same procedure though.
Old 10-26-2002, 08:47 AM

Does this procedure work on the 2k3 the same?

Thxs
Old 04-12-2004, 04:37 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

fog light rewire

For the fog light rewire, do you have to connect the yellow wire (2001) to both turn signals red wire, or just the one nearest to the fuse/relay box? Is this a better method than splicing it to the red tail light wire in the fuse bay?
Thanks fellas.
Old 04-12-2004, 06:28 PM
SEdge

whoooa old thread. anyway, i just tapped the red tail light wire, works fine for me.

Old 05-23-2004, 02:44 AM
I miss the .org!

Does anybody possibly have a mirror of one of the writeups for a 2002-2003?
Old 07-22-2005, 01:49 AM

does anyone know where the write up with pics is?
Old 07-22-2005, 03:08 AM

Hee you guys go, Housecor explains the process for both the 5th and 5.5 gen. Enjoy!!!

http://www.innerbean.com/housecor/fog_rewire.html
Old 07-22-2005, 03:42 AM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

Wow... this is an old thread.......
Old 03-06-2006, 03:51 PM

are there any downsides to this mod? Does it seem to make your fogs/parking bulbs blow any sooner or anything like that? I wanna do this over spring break next week, but i don't wanna regret it. I have a 2k SE.
Old 03-06-2006, 04:01 PM

it might make your fogs blow sooner only because you'll be running them more because it looks so damn good

btw... wow, old thread. Nice use of search
Old 03-06-2006, 04:05 PM

yes, it looks really good, i love the look of mine...
and blowing the sooner, i dont know anything about it...
iam sure that everything is fine......
good luck
huso
Old 03-08-2006, 10:09 AM

the housecor links states fogs shut off when high beams on but can be turned on when no headlights are on. Is there a way to wire it to have the fogs be on whether the headlights are off or off and when the highs are on. Beuller? Beuller? (horse)
Old 03-08-2006, 11:03 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by GigEmAgs07
are there any downsides to this mod? Does it seem to make your fogs/parking bulbs blow any sooner or anything like that? I wanna do this over spring break next week, but i don't wanna regret it. I have a 2k SE.
That is a large, but awesome pic
Old 03-09-2006, 06:31 AM

Ok guys after all the googling and trying to find how to wire the fogs to come on with the parking lights also i have done this . The directions at the top of this post i used for the parking and fogs. But i wanted them to stay on when i hit the high beams also. Well i found a sight but dont remember what the addy was so i will post here on what to do. Dont know if this may be eligble to be a sticky since i couldnt find it on this site.

02-03 Max
1. Remove the steering column cover. to do this- (remove 3 screws under the column. Also remove the bottom dash cover under the column so you are able to unsnap the column cover. The cover has snaps on this inside so dont be shy to pull on the bottom to unsnap it.)
2. once the cover is off, on top of the column you will see the left right switch. Follow the wire connected to this and there is a white connector on the top of the column slighty to the left that has a green/red wire and a green wire. this is surrounded by a shiny shrink wrap. unplug connector.
3. Cut the shrink wrap back about 3 inches.
4. Cut the green wire about 2-3 inches below the white connector.
5. Tape and leave alone the green wire not still connected to the connector.
6. Strip about a 1/4 inch of covering of the green wire that is connected to the white connector.
7. find some wire laying around about 7 or so inches and connect this to the green wire you just stripped and connect to a ground
8. Plug connector back in.
9. before putting back together test.
10. The lights should stay on when high beams are activated.
Dont know if they will stay on while just parking lights are on as i did the rewire for this beforehand.

Have fun with the lights looking sweet as can be.
Old 03-09-2006, 09:59 PM

i have seen some write-ups that say to disconnect the battery before rewiring the fogs. Others don't mention it. Is it alright to do it without disconnecting the battery?
Old 03-09-2006, 10:06 PM
THIS IS...

Wow, a thread back from the dead. Disconnect your battery when working on anything electrical.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:41 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Ik holy old thread but since you brought up the corner lights I had to ask it.... I notice in pics of maxima the corner ights light up.... you see mine doesnt do that lol is there a blown fuse or a short some wher? if its a blown fuse could you tell me what fuse it is?