5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.
View Poll Results: Common 5th gen. Max problem? - Has your wheel bearing gone bad?
No drop and I had or currently have a wheel bearing issue
18.02%
No drop and I have had more than one wheel bearing issue
4.50%
Drop on Eibach, H&R, Maxspeed, H-tech and had one wheel bearing issue
3.99%
Drop on Eibach, H&R, Maxspeed, H-tech and have no wheel bearing issues
9.91%
Drop on Eibach, H&R, Maxspeed, H-tech and had more than one wheel bearing issue
1.54%
Drop Progress, Tein S-tech, Sprint and had one wheel bearing issue
1.67%
Drop on Progress, Tein S-tech, Sprint and had more than one wheel bearing issue
0.90%
Drop on Progress, Tein S-tech, Sprint and have no wheel bearing issue
4.89%
No drop. No wheel bearing issues.
54.57%
Voters: 777. You may not vote on this poll

Common 5th gen. Max problem? - Has this happened to you?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2004, 06:02 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Common 5th gen. Max problem? - Has this happened to you?

It sounds like wheel bearing issues are pretty common judging by the responses in http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=295640.

For those unfamiliar with wheel bearing issues, it sounds like the wheel is loose even when the lugs and suspension components are tight. You can especially hear this when you pull over a speed bump crooked or out of a driveway. As it gets worse it will sound like the wheel may be wobbling just a bit as you run down the road.

Have you experienced this on your 5th gen?? Vote above.

EDIT> I included the suspension questions in the poll above because I suspect those with a drop experience this issue more since hard impacts which can damage the wheel bearings are likely more common.
Old 03-20-2004, 07:25 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

it was my strut bearing causing the problem on my drop. H-tech/GR2s
Old 03-20-2004, 08:30 AM
Mauja He Mauja

i changed them on my supra once. pretty easy. anyone changed them on a max??
Old 03-20-2004, 12:33 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

hmm, from reading the symptoms, sounds like something i've encountered, but i never fixed it
i just swapped my suspension recently and got my car running again.. i'll see if it returns and then check everything.
Old 03-20-2004, 01:34 PM
retired moderator

That sounds like a bad strut, not a wheel bearing issue. Usually a wheel bearing that's mad will make kind of a low "moaning" sound......
Old 03-20-2004, 08:10 PM

the one on my 2k2 went out. the main 26mm or whatever nut was way looose. On both sides. Dunno what caused it. Dropped wiht JIC's. Passenger side bearing went bad.
Old 03-20-2004, 08:55 PM

no problem here with eibach...is this a 2k2 issue?
Old 03-21-2004, 01:02 PM
The Definitive AE Master

is a symptom of this a "woo-du, woo-du" sound per revolution of the wheel and speeds up in conjuction with vehicle speed? If so, this is my problem

you can hear the wheels with the car while its slowing down
Old 03-21-2004, 02:40 PM

Does this happen only when Lowering?
Old 03-21-2004, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by 2k3TitaniumSe
Does this happen only when Lowering?
Nope. Look at poll responses.
Old 03-21-2004, 04:40 PM

Most wheel bearing issues will result in a clicking sound coming from that particular wheel. I had the same problem that you guys are describing with a 2002 Cavalier and it turned out to be bad strut mounts, this was discovered after only 6 trips back to the Chevy dealer, hince the reason we have the Max, long live Nissan!
Old 03-21-2004, 05:47 PM
Very sound, Mike

Originally Posted by Larrio
is a symptom of this a "woo-du, woo-du" sound per revolution of the wheel and speeds up in conjuction with vehicle speed? If so, this is my problem

I have a similar sound on my ride, but usually very prominent at highway speeds. I always thought it may just be my balding tires.
Old 03-22-2004, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Larrio

Mine is doing this too. I thought it was a bad tire with my 42,000 mile potenzas, but I just replaced them with four new Kumho KH11s, and the noise is still just as bad if not worse. It gets worse turning to left, and a little better turning right, even though it never goes away. It does make some of that WooWooWoo noise like a cupped tire would. There is also a low constant noise associated with it as well.

I bent a rim last year on the same corner as the noise seems to be coming from.
I had the rim repaired and it drove and sounded totally normal for about 6 months. Then suddenly one day, I noticed this noise.

I have since dropped my car with Maxspeeds and stock struts, but the noise preceded this modification and new tires.
Old 03-22-2004, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by redstradic
it was my strut bearing causing the problem on my drop. H-tech/GR2s
that's the first thing that went out a year after i put on the maxspeed springs. i haven't had any other problems associated with drop tho.. but i did switch over to JIC's
Old 03-24-2004, 07:10 AM
Banned

Thats weird, i have this issue on my car where when i turn it slightly, only to the right, and i go over a slight bump the left front side makes a loose sounding noise, like something is rattleing in that section. I took it to strauss, auto place store, they told me that it was a stabilizer link. But it sounds as if its the same thing that your explaining so i dont know.

brandon
Old 03-24-2004, 12:35 PM

When NIssan was trying to get to the bottom of the mystery noise on the 2k (ended up being a hose rubbing on a heat shield) they replaced one of the struts because it was a "known problem" on the 2000 models.

T
Old 03-25-2004, 08:37 AM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Had the problem just before I dropped my ride. Wheel bearings going bad on 5th gens is a very common thing. The dealer I took mine to had another one there that day for the very same thing, and had a total of 8 that month. They average about 3-4 per month...
Old 03-25-2004, 12:18 PM

Does anyone have the part numbers needed for a DIY wheel bearing change? I'm out of warranty and would rather not have the dealer bend me over.
Old 03-25-2004, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by DougJones
Does anyone have the part numbers needed for a DIY wheel bearing change? I'm out of warranty and would rather not have the dealer bend me over.
Here is a word to the wise. I called my service guy at the dealership to get a quote on doing it myself and he told me about 1.5 hours labor ($105) and about $68 for the bearing. He told me to hold on for a minute, came back and said:
"Mr Turner, it is covered under the powertrain warranty"! I have 42,000 miles on my car and he was aware of that.

I do not really think it is a do it yourself job, because it requires disassembly of a fair amount of the suspension, and a heavy duty bearing press.
Old 03-25-2004, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by SEturner
Here is a word to the wise. I called my service guy at the dealership to get a quote on doing it myself and he told me about 1.5 hours labor ($105) and about $68 for the bearing. He told me to hold on for a minute, came back and said:
"Mr Turner, it is covered under the powertrain warranty"! I have 42,000 miles on my car and he was aware of that.

I do not really think it is a do it yourself job, because it requires disassembly of a fair amount of the suspension, and a heavy duty bearing press.
If it's only a $200 job, I definately have no problems handing over the keys to the dealer. I'll give mine a call and see what they tell me.

Thanks
Old 03-25-2004, 03:08 PM
drag racing is for wussies

Wheel bearing noise will sound like something orbital is whirring in the car, it gets louder as the speed increases. I've repleaced my rears 2 times by now- I had a set of Konig Tantrums on the car long time ago and they didn't fit over the rear wheel bearing dust boots- so I took them out thinking dirt won't get int there.... well after like 40K miles it did and wore it out- Nissan Covered it, then they went out again around 60K miles and repleaced them myself- took me whole whoppn 20 min for both sides. My fronts are still good- knock on wood-80k miles.
Old 03-25-2004, 03:58 PM

Mine are BAD. Scary that china's main nut was loose. I've been driving with this condition for some time. I believe 'drop' to be the contributing factor here, however, I believe the steering 'bump stop' removals to also be an equal contributing factor. I put my bump stops back in after I found out they were bad. Yes, it takes u-turns like a greyhound, but it wasnt *much* better with the stops removed either, so go figure.......
Old 03-25-2004, 04:59 PM
Mauja He Mauja

Originally Posted by BlackBIRDVQ
Wheel bearing noise will sound like something orbital is whirring in the car, it gets louder as the speed increases. I've repleaced my rears 2 times by now- I had a set of Konig Tantrums on the car long time ago and they didn't fit over the rear wheel bearing dust boots- so I took them out thinking dirt won't get int there.... well after like 40K miles it did and wore it out- Nissan Covered it, then they went out again around 60K miles and repleaced them myself- took me whole whoppn 20 min for both sides. My fronts are still good- knock on wood-80k miles.

since you changed them,,what is the part # and any advice on how-2?? thats what ppl wanna know
Old 03-25-2004, 05:04 PM
Mauja He Mauja

If it's only a $200 job, I definately have no problems handing over the keys to the dealer. I'll give mine a call and see what they tell me.

Thanks
uuh as if you haven't had a feel, but most ppl here wanna get down and dirty and fix the stuff themselves ..are you going to pay a stinky mechanic,,or get dirty and do it yourself?? ,,i saw that on someone's web site when i first bought her....so go ahead and pay someone who will charge you up the ar$e, and won't care if it is done correctly
Old 03-25-2004, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by dba1999us
uuh as if you haven't had a feel, but most ppl here wanna get down and dirty and fix the stuff themselves ..are you going to pay a stinky mechanic,,or get dirty and do it yourself?? ,,i saw that on someone's web site when i first bought her....so go ahead and pay someone who will charge you up the ar$e, and won't care if it is done correctly
I think you and Doug Jones missed the point I was making:

IF YOUR CAR IS LESS THAN 5 YEARS OR 60,000 MILES, WHEEL BEARINGS ARE COVERED UNDER THE FREE STANDARD POWERTRAIN WARRANTY.

******FREE********

Free almost always beats doing it myself
Old 03-25-2004, 08:19 PM

Are you certain that a bearing press is necessary? It was my understanding it is a bolt on hub assembly. Could the dealer be telling you stories here?
Old 03-25-2004, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by housecor
Are you certain that a bearing press is necessary? It was my understanding it is a bolt on hub assembly. Could the dealer be telling you stories here?
No, the dealer is the one who said they would fix it FREE.

However, I looked up the prices on 1stnissanparts.com and the price of a front bearing is $68 retail and $50 with their discount. The front hub assembly (including bearing?) is $140 retail and $105 with discount. So, I could order hub and install for $105 plus shipping, or let dealer do it for $173. Of course, this was if I had exceeded my standard 5yr/60k mile powertrain warranty.

The bearing press comes into play when I viewed a website ( http://www.motorvate.ca/mvp.php/704 ) of a 4th gen owner with illustrated instructions. The instructions involved PULLING THE ENTIRE AXLE out of the transaxle, pressing out the bearings, and replacing. This is beyond my personal comfort level.

The 1stnissanparts.com site is the best I have seen for parts. They show illustrations of all assemblies! The front bearings are under front suspension\brake components.
Old 03-26-2004, 12:04 AM

could a "squeak squeak squeak" sound that syncronizes with the wheel speed also be a wheel bearing problem? How about a groaning under low-speed breaking? My car happens to be doing both of these right now. It started occuring right at the same time when my brake pads wore out. I thought it would go away with the pad replacement, but it didn't
Old 03-26-2004, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by dba1999us
Please read the entire thread before responding. My initial question was asking what parts were necessary to do the job my self. Again, reading is fundamental

If the parts & labor are cheap, I do have better things to do with my time than change wheel bearings. If you do not, shame on you
Old 03-26-2004, 06:18 AM

I think you and Doug Jones missed the point I was making:

IF YOUR CAR IS LESS THAN 5 YEARS OR 60,000 MILES, WHEEL BEARINGS ARE COVERED UNDER THE FREE STANDARD POWERTRAIN WARRANTY.

******FREE********

Free almost always beats doing it myself

I didn't miss the point you were trying to make. I am beyond the 60k mark, so I'd rather save a buck and do it myself as opposed to taking it anywhere (let alone the dealer). However, if it's a relatively inexpensive job for the dealer to do, I say let 'em have at it.
Old 03-26-2004, 06:38 AM

I didn't miss the point you were trying to make. I am beyond the 60k mark, so I'd rather save a buck and do it myself as opposed to taking it anywhere (let alone the dealer). However, if it's a relatively inexpensive job for the dealer to do, I say let 'em have at it.
Sorry Doug, I just saw that you have a 2K2 and assumed you were under the limits. I drive alot, and I only have 42,000 miles. I thought my mileage was probably worse than most.

Scott
Old 03-26-2004, 07:23 AM

Sorry Doug, I just saw that you have a 2K2 and assumed you were under the limits. I drive alot, and I only have 42,000 miles. I thought my mileage was probably worse than most.

Scott
No apologies needed, Scott. I drive 400mi/wk back and forth to work! Man, I need a new job
Old 03-29-2004, 12:59 PM

Update:

Update: I just had crank sensor recall performed and front right bearing replaced. Charges to me were $0 It was definetely the bearing. All bad noise is gone. I saw the warranty copy of paperwork and it appeared the dealer charged Nissan $68 for the bearing and 1.9 hrs labor ($133). So this is about $201 plus tax for us. By the way, one of the bearing races is in the front steering knuckle, so just buying and installing new hub will not cure problem.
Old 03-29-2004, 03:45 PM

Update: I just had crank sensor recall performed and front right bearing replaced. Charges to me were $0 It was definetely the bearing. All bad noise is gone. I saw the warranty copy of paperwork and it appeared the dealer charged Nissan $68 for the bearing and 1.9 hrs labor ($133). So this is about $201 plus tax for us. By the way, one of the bearing races is in the front steering knuckle, so just buying and installing new hub will not cure problem.
Zero out of pocket is always good.

If you would, please pm me the part numbers for the bearing change.

Thanks,
Doug
Old 04-02-2004, 08:49 PM

i am lowered on maxspeeds...and i have this issue twice already and might be goin in again for 3rd time.. and no i have not removed the springs before takin in dealer...when they see me comin now they know not to say anything and just fix the problem. the sound i get is a very loud vibration and something sounds liek its loose and spinnin out of control...both times it was the wheel bearing...maybe theres something else causin the problem because i keep gettin it replaced. now im just havin a low wobblin sound as i drive...just waitin for it to start clickin and vibratin again so i can screw around the dealer more
Old 04-08-2004, 06:12 AM

I had both of my wheel bearings on the front go out within 2 months of each other. I had the car dropped for a loooong time before it happened. They were so bad i had to replace the hub assembly and the bearing...not cheap, the hub assembly DOESNT come with the bearing and its like $145 and the bearing is around $65. You could actually see the wheel wiggling, It was amazing how i even made it to the shop up the street to have it done. I also had to replace a CV axle at the same time because of some **** that i hit one night driving home on these crappy SC roads. Whatever it was cut the CV axle boot and all the grease leaked out everywhere and caused the joint to go bad. I dont even think you guys wanna know how much a new Nissan CV axle is...or at least how much they wanted for one here at my local dealer.
Old 04-08-2004, 01:21 PM
Mauja He Mauja

has anyone tried to change the bearing?? i am 99% sure thats what is causing the noise...it seems like the wheel is loose,,and it thuds over small pot holes/bumps///
Old 04-08-2004, 02:32 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Mine went bad about 6 months ago....when I had Maxspeeds/ Tokicos
Old 04-11-2004, 07:04 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I believe that my wheel bearing on my right front is messed up, but I am not sure. Should I get any problems from my dealership if I go in with wheels and springs?
Old 05-08-2004, 12:18 AM

our 2000 SE 5spd stock hasnt had any suspension problems

Quick Reply: Common 5th gen. Max problem? - Has this happened to you?