5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.
View Poll Results: Common 5th gen. Max problem? - Has your wheel bearing gone bad?
No drop and I had or currently have a wheel bearing issue
18.02%
No drop and I have had more than one wheel bearing issue
4.50%
Drop on Eibach, H&R, Maxspeed, H-tech and had one wheel bearing issue
3.99%
Drop on Eibach, H&R, Maxspeed, H-tech and have no wheel bearing issues
9.91%
Drop on Eibach, H&R, Maxspeed, H-tech and had more than one wheel bearing issue
1.54%
Drop Progress, Tein S-tech, Sprint and had one wheel bearing issue
1.67%
Drop on Progress, Tein S-tech, Sprint and had more than one wheel bearing issue
0.90%
Drop on Progress, Tein S-tech, Sprint and have no wheel bearing issue
4.89%
No drop. No wheel bearing issues.
54.57%
Voters: 777. You may not vote on this poll

Common 5th gen. Max problem? - Has this happened to you?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2004, 05:12 AM
Mauja He Mauja

i have seen a write-up to change the bearing, and it dies not look like a walk in the park . i just hope that the noise i am hearing is a broken strut. i am changing the strut tomorrow. if the sound doesn't go away, trip to the dealer...
Old 05-10-2004, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by dba1999us
uuh as if you haven't had a feel, but most ppl here wanna get down and dirty and fix the stuff themselves ..are you going to pay a stinky mechanic,,or get dirty and do it yourself?? ,,i saw that on someone's web site when i first bought her....so go ahead and pay someone who will charge you up the ar$e, and won't care if it is done correctly
Not all mechanics stink.
Old 05-10-2004, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by 00MAXIST
I believe that my wheel bearing on my right front is messed up, but I am not sure. Should I get any problems from my dealership if I go in with wheels and springs?
It's possible that you may have a problem. If they suspect that the wheels are not properly offset and contributed to the possible failure, they might refuse to fix it without charge.
Old 05-10-2004, 09:26 PM
Horra!!

I just put on some new 18's and I already have similar noises. I get a low whirring noise while slowing down. I also have a lot more road noise than before. I'm dropped on GR2's and Maxspeeds.
Are there bearings up front too? I have the bolt and cotter pin exposed on my wheels up front because I can't get the center caps on without spacers.
Old 05-11-2004, 06:23 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i have h&r's & have had front wheel bearings & hub changed & rear passenger side.....dealer tech claimed it was my aftermarket rims (MM Evo5) absorbing the bumps too hard that caused the bearings & hub to become bad.....

now 8 months later my rear driver side is bad....tried taking it to dealer but same tech i talked to before is not there & the new lady there is a b!tch....she basically told me since my car is modified it wont be covered under warranty & she will tell nissan over the phone that my car is modified....i just left
Old 05-11-2004, 10:15 AM
Horra!!

Originally Posted by K Pazzo 6
i have h&r's & have had front wheel bearings & hub changed & rear passenger side.....dealer tech claimed it was my aftermarket rims (MM Evo5) absorbing the bumps too hard that caused the bearings & hub to become bad.....

now 8 months later my rear driver side is bad....tried taking it to dealer but same tech i talked to before is not there & the new lady there is a b!tch....she basically told me since my car is modified it wont be covered under warranty & she will tell nissan over the phone that my car is modified....i just left
Isn't it true that the dealership cannot void your warranty until they can prove that the modification was the cause of the defect?
Old 05-14-2004, 03:57 AM
Mauja He Mauja

has anyone tried to change the bearing?? i am 99% sure thats what is causing the noise...it seems like the wheel is loose,,and it thuds over small pot holes/bumps///
changed the struts last night,,yup the front right strut was messed-up. the noise is gone i also installed maxspeeds. WOW..my back is sore. of course I did not have any help. my sweet wife was trying to help, but all she could do was hand me the tools..how long before i should get the alignment done??
thx
Old 05-14-2004, 06:03 AM

changed the struts last night,,yup the front right strut was messed-up. the noise is gone i also installed maxspeeds. WOW..my back is sore. of course I did not have any help. my sweet wife was trying to help, but all she could do was hand me the tools..how long before i should get the alignment done??
thx
I would get the alignment now. No need to wait until the tires start wearing if it's out of specs. Some people are going to tell you to wait until this or that settles. They don't do that when they build the car so why wait?
Old 05-14-2004, 03:09 PM
Mauja He Mauja

the car is not pulling. should i still get the alignment?
Old 05-14-2004, 03:17 PM

the car is not pulling. should i still get the alignment?
The car does not have to pull to need an alignment. What you basically do is have the alignment checked to ensure that it is within specs. They may or may not have to do an adjustment. You normally pay a fraction of the cost of an alignment for hooking the machine to your car. It's your call.
Old 05-14-2004, 04:22 PM
Jer

What's funny is that I recently ran into issues with my front end, and although bearings weren't directly responsible for it, the driver's side had to be replaced.

I took the car to Nissan (yes, I know, my car is modded but they did it under warranty), and lo and behold the wheel hub was also cracking. The driver's side has been done, and the dealer has suggested that I come back for the passenger side once the parts are in. I'm dealing with other issues right now, but I'll probably have them replace the passenger side as well (though at first glance the bearings seem ok - there's no play on the wheel on the passenger side).

Funny, I never would have noticed that this was a common occurance, until now. My suspension mods are listed in my sig.

I guess it's also good to mention that they claim this isn't a usual problem, they blamed it on my "high power output" and suggested I do the work on the passenger side before my warranty runs out! lol!
Old 05-14-2004, 04:30 PM
Horra!!

Originally Posted by Jer
What's funny is that I recently ran into issues with my front end, and although bearings weren't directly responsible for it, the driver's side had to be replaced.

I took the car to Nissan (yes, I know, my car is modded but they did it under warranty), and lo and behold the wheel hub was also cracking. The driver's side has been done, and the dealer has suggested that I come back for the passenger side once the parts are in. I'm dealing with other issues right now, but I'll probably have them replace the passenger side as well (though at first glance the bearings seem ok - there's no play on the wheel on the passenger side).

Funny, I never would have noticed that this was a common occurance, until now. My suspension mods are listed in my sig.

I guess it's also good to mention that they claim this isn't a usual problem, they blamed it on my "high power output" and suggested I do the work on the passenger side before my warranty runs out! lol!
Sounds like your dealership is pretty cool with modding then, eh?
Old 05-14-2004, 09:08 PM
Jer

Egad, just read this last page of this thread.. I should consider myself lucky indeed....

Sorry guys, wasn't trying to rub anything in.

This dealership does a lot of aftermarket stuff and many of the guys there in sales/parts/service tend to come out to the track with their cars from time to time, so I've gotten a little cozy with them...

Originally Posted by looslip
Sounds like your dealership is pretty cool with modding then, eh?
Old 05-16-2004, 03:21 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

The only similar symptom I've had occurs while turning hard left and going up(or down, can't remember) the ramp in my parking garage I'll get a loud creaking noise as I transition from incline to no-incline. But it only happens occassionally so I haven't looked into it yet.
Old 07-24-2004, 07:55 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Jimmy Gardner
Most wheel bearing issues will result in a clicking sound coming from that particular wheel. I had the same problem that you guys are describing with a 2002 Cavalier and it turned out to be bad strut mounts, this was discovered after only 6 trips back to the Chevy dealer, hince the reason we have the Max, long live Nissan!

That "clicking" noise sounds more like a CV joint than a bearing. You have obviously had it repaired at this point but was it more prominent when you turned one direction over the other. For instance was it louder when you turned left than when you turned right?
Old 07-24-2004, 06:46 PM

I had both front wheel bearings go bad within one year of each other.
I'm now getting a brushing noise that becomes a whirring noise at higher speeds. It is directly related to wheel speed. It sounds like the gears in the differential aren't meshing well. I'm going to see a dealer about it. It should be covered under the powertrain warranty.
Old 07-24-2004, 06:57 PM
imported_JIC_A33

no probs with my tein/gr2s..i am now on JICs..and no problems

Old 07-24-2004, 07:46 PM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

I've had Maxspeeds and now Tein S-techs with no problems on wheel bearings.
Old 09-16-2004, 09:23 AM

I just got a wheel bearing replaced the other day, made a rubbing scraping sound when I made a left turn. Cost me 260 when all was said and done at pepboys. My suspension is stock, just put aftermarket wheels when I got the car in May with 75,000 miles on it.
Old 09-16-2004, 04:16 PM
Mauja He Mauja

has anyone replaced them on their own? if yes, how hard is it? any write-up's?
Old 09-16-2004, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Jer
Egad, just read this last page of this thread.. I should consider myself lucky indeed....

Sorry guys, wasn't trying to rub anything in.

This dealership does a lot of aftermarket stuff and many of the guys there in sales/parts/service tend to come out to the track with their cars from time to time, so I've gotten a little cozy with them...
Jer, what dealer do you go to? I think I might have bad wheel bearings also since my symptoms are similars to others here.
Old 09-16-2004, 04:56 PM

Does bad bearing cause chriping sound? or something shoo-shoo like rusting metal rubbing? my rear driver side wheel makes this sound...the former owner of the max took car back to dealer..but they couldn't find out what it was...maybe bearing?.... any idea? thx
Old 09-16-2004, 06:11 PM
Very sound, Mike

For me it was a bent wheel, rather - a couple of them.
Old 09-16-2004, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by -ZIPPIN-
has anyone replaced them on their own? if yes, how hard is it? any write-up's?
It's not an extremely difficult job, and you could do most of the assembly work yourself with just hand tools, but you need a hydraulic press to remove and install the wheel bearing in the wheel hub. Get an experienced garage to do it.
Old 09-30-2004, 10:55 AM

since life of car i've changed 7 wheel bearings.....:/
Old 10-01-2004, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Bl_asd
Does bad bearing cause chriping sound? or something shoo-shoo like rusting metal rubbing? my rear driver side wheel makes this sound...the former owner of the max took car back to dealer..but they couldn't find out what it was...maybe bearing?.... any idea? thx
Most likely, thats exactly what mine sounded like when it was diagnosed by pep boys to be a bad wheel bearing. They replaced it and now the noise is gone.
Old 11-16-2004, 07:53 AM

How much would it cost to change a wheel bearing?

My friend with a 2k2 has horrible grinding noises when he drives from the front wheel and i'm asking for him.
Old 11-16-2004, 08:24 AM

No drop or suspension mod's for me and I had my left side wheel bearing replaced. Sounded awful when making sharp turns in parking lot's.

GC
Old 11-16-2004, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by MaximaPolak
How much would it cost to change a wheel bearing?
:
I paid $225 installed from Maximun tuning. Local Mavis charged a little more. Biener Nissan was $450 per side..

GC
Old 11-17-2004, 01:01 PM

I was diagnosed with a bad right rear wheel bearing yesterday. Called the dealer and he said they cover all labor and parts until 60,000 miles. Good deal considering from the shops I have talked to this is NOT A DIYer. Need a $300 bearing press and puller.

The symtops were a roaring with every wheel revelotion, bad wheel alignments, and a vibration in the floorboard. Hopefully this will cure the problem. Car goes to the dealer tomorrow and I will keep you guys posted
Old 11-22-2004, 10:54 AM

not your bearing..

Originally Posted by 5thgen2nr
could a "squeak squeak squeak" sound that syncronizes with the wheel speed also be a wheel bearing problem? How about a groaning under low-speed breaking? My car happens to be doing both of these right now. It started occuring right at the same time when my brake pads wore out. I thought it would go away with the pad replacement, but it didn't
i would look into replacing your pads AND rotors.

note: never replace just the pads and "resurface" nissan rotors, they suck and it is just as expensive, if not more expensive than just replacing them with better quality aftermarket parts.

and yes both of my back wheel bearings were replaced, it could be one of a million things that cause them to go bad. bad allignment, balancing, impact, bad rim...
i have never herd wheel bearings actually squelling... just making a "whirring" sound while driving. never let a wheelbearing go... i have seen wheels FALL OFF OF CARS because they let them go. i have an extended warranty on my car so it cost me $50 to get both replaced. i dont think that you just replace the bearing, it is the whole hub assembly and at a discount for warranty work cost $200 a pop not including install... if you have the time, tools and KNOW HOW, fix the problem yourself. If you dont, make friends with a mechanic
Old 11-23-2004, 09:30 PM

I had to have ALL 4 wheel bearings replaced in the last 10k miles. (I have 71k on it now.) The dealer couldn't figure why they went so quick. They asked me for the rear ones if I let my car sit in deep water or if I drive through alot of deep puddles.
Old 03-02-2005, 06:57 AM

No drop and no wheel bearing problems so far with 87K.
Old 03-02-2005, 08:40 PM

No drop here, stock suspension, and I just replaced all four pads and rotors 5 days ago.....and I still get the grinding sound in time with the wheel revolutions! I'm still not clear though on if that indicates a wheel bearing problem. I'm still under 60k, so is the fix covered by the dealer? (I'd love to get rid of the noise, been buggin the hell out of me for a year).
Old 03-05-2005, 01:42 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I had the clicking noise and it was my sway bar links, cheap quick fix, no drop no more clicking
Old 03-06-2005, 01:54 PM

ive been lowered for over 3 yrs...eibach>ground control>and now JIC. iv'e gone from 18's and now im on 20's. I havent had to replace any bearings...BUT i guess my car may be falling apart and i dont even know it.....ugg Ill listen for these noises next time i drive..
Old 03-08-2005, 02:28 PM

Taking the Max to the dealer on Thursday; they say it's $50 for the diagnostic, but it's worth the risk of it being nothing. At least they can't say it's the rotors that are causing the noise! Dealers...
Old 03-08-2005, 05:25 PM

It's about time, I've been waiting for a thread like this to come up...I had BOTH wheel bearings and BOTH CV driveaxles go out on me within 500 miles of eachother...first the wheel bearing went, then shortly thereafter, the CV axle SNAPPED right at the main hub assembly bolt...since this happened to me twice in one month, I wasn't a happy camper...but it was my own fault...when the "squeeka-squeaka-squeaka" sound started on the left front wheel, I waited way too long to take it somewhere to get fixed, and the CV axle broke on me some time later...the second time it happened on the right side, it was "squeaka-squeaka-squeaka" on the right side, and no later than 30 seconds after that sound started, the right CV driveaxle broke in the exact same place...$700 dollars later, I have 2 new CV driveaxles, 2 new wheel bearings, and 1 new brake rotor, and the car runs like it never missed a step.
Old 03-31-2005, 07:30 PM

anyone know how much a machine shop would charge to have them replace the bearings if I take them the hub?
also... do our cars (4th gens) have bearings in the rear wheels?!
Old 04-01-2005, 09:44 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

front hub assembly

Does anyone have OEM part numbers for the front wheel hub assembly on 02 Max SE? If the unit is ordered from a Nissan parts dealer, will the bearing already be in the unit or will it need to be pressed?

Quick Reply: Common 5th gen. Max problem? - Has this happened to you?