5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

KINETIX intake manifold for the 350Z

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2004, 10:08 AM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Originally Posted by maximaman777
Now I do have a few questions.
1. Will this cause a problem with the ECU? i.e. won’t it be looking for the VIAS.
2. If there is a problem how do we get around it?
3. Would we be able to use a Z ECU at some point in the future? With the VIAS being gone and with a car that has better exhaust flow would there be any other major issues in the two cars design that would make this prohibitive?
1)If it works like the 2K-2K1s, then I doubt it.
2)I'll have to get back to you once I find a 2K2 ESM.
3)Definitely not "Plug-n-Play", since the harness is most likely different, however with a FSM and lots of time on your hands, maybe.

Lastly if after we get it to fit and work we could try and see if it would help Matt’s car out at all. He could drive down to my house or Justin and I could take a ride up to him and due another test fit and possible dyno. Even if the hood doesn’t fit this could give us the info as to whether or not this is worth pursuing. Matt only lives a few hours from us and his car has all the mods that we looking for to see if this is what will break Stumans “glass ceiling” 240whp.

I wanted to post this the other day but with the org being down…
Any thought comments?
Sounds great, however I'd suspect relocating the throttle-body, MAF, intake/filter, vacuum, and even coolant lines would be quite a bit of work. Also, the lower intake manifold, throttle body, and most accessories are going to require gaskets/sealant, which requires finesse and cure time.

I'm not sure how far Ethan got with his, but I'm worried about any accessories like idle-air control valve, EGR stuff, and possibly injectors fitting. The lower intake manifold is going to be UGLY, I'm guessing, since that's usually where OEMs terminate A LOT of crap, but I've never seen either VQ35s' LIM in person.

Honestly, just trying to give you some more ideas on what may or may NOT be involved.

I applaud anyone willing to rip off their manifold just for experiments like this.
Old 03-25-2004, 12:00 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by IceY2K1
1)If it works like the 2K-2K1s, then I doubt it.
2)I'll have to get back to you once I find a 2K2 ESM.
3)Definitely not "Plug-n-Play", since the harness is most likely different, however with a FSM and lots of time on your hands, maybe.

Sounds great, however I'd suspect relocating the throttle-body, MAF, intake/filter, vacuum, and even coolant lines would be quite a bit of work. Also, the lower intake manifold, throttle body, and most accessories are going to require gaskets/sealant, which requires finesse and cure time.

I'm not sure how far Ethan got with his, but I'm worried about any accessories like idle-air control valve, EGR stuff, and possibly injectors fitting. The lower intake manifold is going to be UGLY, I'm guessing, since that's usually where OEMs terminate A LOT of crap, but I've never seen either VQ35s' LIM in person.

Honestly, just trying to give you some more ideas on what may or may NOT be involved.

I applaud anyone willing to rip off their manifold just for experiments like this.
Ice this is what I know from both the FSM and from taking a local orger's UIM off.

1st. F the coolant lines. I've looped mine already anyway. They're for cars in cold climate areas.
2. There may be some vacuum lines, don't rember. If so they can be temporarily extended.
3. None of the gaskets use any sealant in the upper or where the upper connects to the lower, don't know about where the lower meets the block though.
4. There are some wires and lines that use the UIM as a mounting point no biggy though.
5. The LIM is just that. Nothing ending or terminating there. It just routes the air from the UIM to the cylinders. It's not a very big piece either. I don't see how we can gain any room there but it may be needed to match up to the Z/G UIM.
6. This is my main concern. Will there be enough room to mount the TB, MAF and a filter. The way this IM will bend back towards the fire wall will be the biggest PITA of the process I think.

With the Z ECU. I already have the 02 Max FSM. If I could get my hands on the Z's I'd be happy to compair the pin outs and see if it's even possible.
My cables upload is capped at 128K but if you have a good connection I'd be happy to shoot you a copy of the FSM Ice.
Old 03-25-2004, 02:04 PM

Okay, I think I have a 2K2 ESM around somewhere, just need to find it.

Also, here's a pic of the 350z manifold chopped like you'd need, however this one is even flipped 180-degrees :

http://www.urbanracer.com/features/p...1/img_9110.jpg
Old 03-25-2004, 02:43 PM

Okay, I think I have a 2K2 ESM around somewhere, just need to find it.
Also I just picked my car up from getting the crankshaft sessor recall done. I also had the hesitation TSB done. This is what the invoice says verbatim:

Advisor notes sensor recall R3022 is outstanding (Not 350Z)
NNA service recall.
Installed new engine sensor kit (NON 350Z) per NNA recall instructions

I wonder why they state the NON 350Z stuff..
Old 03-25-2004, 02:51 PM

350z are 2003+ and I think that sensor recall is for early 2002 or something, right?

Don't know, just a guess.

Also I just picked my car up from getting the crankshaft sessor recall done. I also had the hesitation TSB done. This is what the invoice says verbatim:

Advisor notes sensor recall R3022 is outstanding (Not 350Z)
NNA service recall.
Installed new engine sensor kit (NON 350Z) per NNA recall instructions

I wonder why they state the NON 350Z stuff..
Old 03-25-2004, 02:55 PM

And here is a link to the page in question from the 2k2 esm.

http://webpages.charter.net/pool/untitled2.bmp
Old 03-25-2004, 03:42 PM

someone get dave b in here. we need a price on the 350z lower manifold. i'm pretty sure it won't fit. the lower manifold is #11 on the ESM right? I think intake piping should be ok, as the TB will be facing towards the front of the car, if anything u could run a pipe down towards the bumper for cold air and stick a popcharger on the end.
Old 03-25-2004, 03:56 PM

No we don't need one yet.

If the Kinetix UIM won't fit on the Max stock LIM we can use the one off the G for testing.

Oh and yes it's #11
Old 03-25-2004, 07:41 PM

Been there done that....$270 new.

Plenty of blown or crashed 350z motors floating around, just waiting on the "right" price.

According to DAVEB, there's been more then just me looking into the differences between the two LIM.

How are you sure the LIM won't fit?

Originally Posted by Chinkzilla
someone get dave b in here. we need a price on the 350z lower manifold. i'm pretty sure it won't fit. the lower manifold is #11 on the ESM right? I think intake piping should be ok, as the TB will be facing towards the front of the car, if anything u could run a pipe down towards the bumper for cold air and stick a popcharger on the end.
Old 03-26-2004, 07:15 AM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Originally Posted by Chinkzilla

Won't the TB be located at the front of the car facing the right (passanger) side wheel well w/ the 350/G UIM?
Old 03-26-2004, 07:30 AM

IceY2K1 what did you mean by the 2000-2001 lower intake manifold. Where can i get one and where is the post that is talking about this
Old 03-26-2004, 07:35 AM

We're talking about the difference in the lower intake manifold between the VQ35 Maxima and 350z.

Originally Posted by Luquire
IceY2K1 what did you mean by the 2000-2001 lower intake manifold. Where can i get one and where is the post that is talking about this
Old 03-26-2004, 08:56 AM

Check out SSR Engineerings completely fabricated intake manifold they made for the 350Z.

http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthre...threadid=67027

You'll need to be a member to view the thread. Looks sweet.
Old 03-26-2004, 09:44 AM

OMG...that's it~!

SSR will make this for Maximas.

Originally Posted by 03BlkSETE
Check out SSR Engineerings completely fabricated intake manifold they made for the 350Z.

http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthre...threadid=67027

You'll need to be a member to view the thread. Looks sweet.
Old 03-26-2004, 09:57 AM

Wait, does that you mean you actually contacted SSR about this IceY?
Old 03-26-2004, 10:24 AM

As far as the "tweak"......I was thinking, maybe he just put spacers on. Someone posted a manufacturer a while ago.....however, I believe the were for the 3.0? not sure. Maybe the heat disipation alone netted him some HP? Just a thought.....Peace_
Old 03-26-2004, 11:39 AM

WHOAH!, got a good look at the bottom half, looks like it will fit!!!
Old 03-26-2004, 11:42 AM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Originally Posted by HondaKilLR
As far as the "tweak"......I was thinking, maybe he just put spacers on. Someone posted a manufacturer a while ago.....however, I believe the were for the 3.0? not sure. Maybe the heat disipation alone netted him some HP? Just a thought.....Peace_

Acura RSX-S's gain 3-5 FWHP just by adding a thicker gasket somewhere on their engine (can't remember exactly which gasket it is, but I know it happens...)

A spacer could do the trick, but who exactly knows...
Old 03-26-2004, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Quicksilver
Won't the TB be located at the front of the car facing the right (passanger) side wheel well w/ the 350/G UIM?

Um i dont think so?! I figured that since the radiator fan belt and cam timing belts are located facing the front of the car, in our iteration, the whole engine block would be rotated 90* clockwise. Thus facing the opening of the throttle body were we to bolt on a 350z IM right at the driver side headlight? =P I hope I'm right hehe.
Old 03-26-2004, 01:07 PM

Not yet, but now that I know SSR already makes a custom manifold like that for the 350z, it would be MINOR changes to fit the VQ35 Max. Even if they had to chop the top to make it clear the hood and use the VQ35 LIM, I don't see that as a problem. The only question is how to make all the accessories/vacuum/etc. work and whether it's a superior design to the Crawford/Kinetix or even OEM 350z for that matter. Nissan spent a lot of time designing the 350z manifold, so SSR changing it like that could be better or worse.

SSR is eager to make parts as long as he can find a guinea pig it will happen.

I've been "talking" to him recently and intend to meet him in person soon. I'll *DEFINITELY* bring this up.

Originally Posted by 03BlkSETE
Wait, does that you mean you actually contacted SSR about this IceY?
Old 03-26-2004, 01:08 PM
92 SE-R 02 SE

Acura RSX-S's gain 3-5 FWHP just by adding a thicker gasket somewhere on their engine (can't remember exactly which gasket it is, but I know it happens...)

A spacer could do the trick, but who exactly knows...
I think you are talking about these.

http://www.outlawengineering.com/index.html

On the SE-R crowd, they got like 7 or 8 WHP out of them. Its a thicker gasket by the TB and IM. I tried to gauge interest for the 3.5 crowd, and no one wanted to get cheap HP..

Old 03-26-2004, 01:39 PM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Originally Posted by 92 SE-R 02 SE
I think you are talking about these.

http://www.outlawengineering.com/index.html

On the SE-R crowd, they got like 7 or 8 WHP out of them. Its a thicker gasket by the TB and IM. I tried to gauge interest for the 3.5 crowd, and no one wanted to get cheap HP..

Actually, that's not it, but it is along the same lines as far as I can remember. I know it has to do with the RSX-S b/c my buddy did the swap in his car (and did the Intake and exhaust stuff as well). Good to know the SE-R has a similar mod. I'm positive it could work with Maxima as well...along with some other "home brew" mods.
Old 04-02-2004, 11:11 AM

Picture of the 350Z LIM:
Old 04-02-2004, 03:01 PM

uh...... i see red X .....

edit: LOL...oooh there it is um... looks just like ours?
Old 04-02-2004, 03:06 PM

Use your IMAGINATION.

Or wait for Cardomain to come back up.
Old 04-02-2004, 03:19 PM

I see it.
Old 04-15-2004, 06:00 PM

Stock 350z TOP plenum for $175:
http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthre...threadid=70432

Just incase any PIONEERs out there might be willing to give it a shot.
Old 04-15-2004, 07:58 PM
drag racing is for wussies

wouldn't the 00-01 intake be more supperior to the 02-03 intake, just by looking at both of them looks like the K intake should flow much better. Plus it should dissipate heat eassier over aluminum since its composit plastic. I'm not sure if the 00 would work on a 3.5L. I much reather stick to the K motor..then again I'm biased
Old 04-15-2004, 09:46 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Kinetix can't just change the direction that the TB is. For them to do that, they would have to make an entirely differnt mold for that. Injection molds cost around $30K each to make. Unless they are using roto molding then it's a different story.

If you guys really want to try and see if a manifold works on our car, just send out your stock one to get port/polished like Crawford does.

The kinetix stuff isn't really 100% yet, they are still having problems with their plastic cracking and flexing under vaccum. THey've made several revisions to them to address some of the issues but they still have a bit of development to do.
Old 04-16-2004, 05:53 AM

I haven't forgot about this. Once Lloyd (exMax/G35 owner) has the cash to buy the K unit I'll be calling Justin...

I haven't been checked the 350 or G35 boards lately but if what cobymoby says is true it doesn't hurt to be waiting a little while. Although I don't see how porting & polishing a unit with a bad design will help us much. Matt (SR20), Jime and many others have said extrude honing our stock manifold would be a waste of money for the return you'd get.
Old 04-16-2004, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by cobymoby
Kinetix can't just change the direction that the TB is. For them to do that, they would have to make an entirely differnt mold for that. Injection molds cost around $30K each to make. Unless they are using roto molding then it's a different story.
Good point, so I emailed them LAST NIGHT and before 8:00am, I received this response:
We have the ability to change our molds, and if there was a demand for it, we would definately look into it. We also have fairly fast turnaround time in terms of R and D up into production.

What year Maxima are we talking about? also maybe snap some pictures and give me a better idea of what you want to see happen.
Somebody in the area needs to go pay these guys a visit.
Old 04-16-2004, 07:58 AM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Good point, so I emailed them LAST NIGHT and before 8:00am, I received this response:

Somebody in the area needs to go pay these guys a visit.

Where are they located ??
Old 04-16-2004, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by cobymoby
If you guys really want to try and see if a manifold works on our car, just send out your stock one to get port/polished like Crawford does.
At least their first couple gens only hacked off the front half and welded on a flat piece to replace the sloped stock front half. Sounds like now they're trying to improve it further.

The kinetix stuff isn't really 100% yet, they are still having problems with their plastic cracking and flexing under vaccum. THey've made several revisions to them to address some of the issues but they still have a bit of development to do.
I heard about cracking from over tightening on the first batch, but since they improved that flaw, I haven't read of anyone else.

As long as you didn't overtighten the bolts, you were fine.
Old 04-16-2004, 08:03 AM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

I assume that's the way the intake sits while attached to the engine, correct? We could make a true Ram Air setup (if we had a custom hood to go along with it)...which would resolve the hood clearance issue while still using an existing product (assuming it will bolt up to our vehicle). I mean, the intake pictured only has to be turned 90 deg clockwise to actually fit on our engine, right?
Old 04-16-2004, 08:20 AM

Yes.

+10chars.

KINETIX

A small company located in Santa Ana, CA with a total of 5 employees. With a long love for the automotive industry, the company was built around the motivation to provide high quality custom products, at very affordable prices. While once being the consumers ourselves, playing victim to large companies with even larger prices, we decided to enter into the market with another type of business plan. By keeping the majority of manufacturing, R and D, testing, and marketing under one roof, we are able to react to consumer demand quickly and offer our solutions affordably.

We are always open to new ideas, and are not afraid to try new and risky product ventures. If there is an idea for an improvement on our existing product, or an idea for a new product, then we want to hear about it. We also prefer to be very competitive and aggressive with our pricing. We try to take part in the automotive communities and always look forward to feedback about our products and service. We always stand by our products, and will work to satisfy every customer in any way we can.

We like to think of ourselves as changing the aftermarket industry in our own small way. The products we offer will be great products, at great prices. We research, manufacture, and sell all of our products ourselves, giving us total control of all aspects. That means no one to blame but us, and enjoy taking full responsibility for our products. So when you purchase products from us, you are supporting a different way of doing business as an aftermarket company. We greatly appreciate this support and would hope you would share any positive feelings about our company with other enthusiasts.
Old 04-16-2004, 09:10 AM

I'm not BS'ing here. We will have one to test fit in the not to distant future. I'll talk to Lloyd tonight and see when he'll be ready to buy then post a follow up.
Old 04-16-2004, 09:18 AM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

I'm not BS'ing here. We will have one to test fit in the not to distant future. I'll talk to Lloyd tonight and see when he'll be ready to buy then post a follow up.

Hell, I'm all for it. I know our stock intake design is a total choke point for our engine. Also, has anyone considered the 2004 Maxima intakes? We all know they are making vastly more power than advertised...and everything on it is facing the "right" direction, IIRC...

EDIT...yep, it's facing the right way.
Old 04-16-2004, 09:22 AM

Sorry, I missed that post.

Kinitex cracking has been solved or at least can be avoided by simply not torquing the bolts down like it's still aluminum.

Anyways, I'm *HOPING* someone will step up here and AT LEAST try this. I'm not going to run this show, I've got enough other stuff right now, so someone needs to keep Kinitex in the loop(they want pictures~!) and try and find a guinea-pig in the Santa Ana area to stop buy.

Old 04-16-2004, 09:25 AM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

I have no problem trying it, and I'm sure Adam won't either

Speaking of which, Adam, are you coming to the meet the 18th (Marietta Dave and Busters)? we can start our planning there
Old 04-16-2004, 09:26 AM

I still like BlackBIRDVQs idea of a DE-K manifold, since we know it's good for flowing 300+whp.

It is also facing the right way and hood clearance wouldn't be an issue.

Hell, I'm all for it. I know our stock intake design is a total choke point for our engine. Also, has anyone considered the 2004 Maxima intakes? We all know they are making vastly more power than advertised...and everything on it is facing the "right" direction, IIRC...

EDIT...yep, it's facing the right way.

Quick Reply: KINETIX intake manifold for the 350Z