5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

What kind of paint to use on my 2002-2003 HIDs.

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2004, 06:32 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

What kind of paint to use on my 2002-2003 HIDs.

So last week I opened up my brand new set of 2002-2003 HIDs and I'm planning on clearing them with the Home Depot lens, installing the DDEs, painting them, and I was going to install strobes in the high beams but I think ive decided against that now because I dont wanna drill into the housing.

Anyways, Im stuck on which paint to use and I was wondering what you guys think would look better. I bought 2 kinds of paint. I bought a hitemp flat black and a universal black engine enamel which im assuming is glossy. I just dont know what will look better, gloss or flat. BTW my car is black so I would appreciate any opinions.

Also, for those guys who have painted their headlights, did you do any prep work or did you just tape off and spray?

Thanks and I know this topic has probbaly been gone over a million times.......

-Steve
Old 02-11-2004, 06:49 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Studman did exactly what you're describing a week or two ago. He provided very detailed instructions and tons of pics: http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=281060

His lights look great IMO, but I can't remember if he used flat or gloss - the threads says so though.

On black, I think I'd prefer gloss...

Also, I just did the DDE install and HID clear 2 days ago - there are many pics and instructions on my site as well. http://www.cardomain.com/id/housecor
Old 02-11-2004, 08:46 AM

Hey thanks for the reply. I was thinking gloss at first too but everyone i talk to says that flat will look better regardless of car color. I contacted studman about his project for some tips and he helped me out but I would still like more opinions hence this thread. Ive got a question for you though about the clear lenses. I too bought the homedepot lights and the other night cut em out. How did yours come out? Mine seem to have come out ok but they seem far from perfect. The lenses were kinda scuffed up when i bought them which i guess is expected cuz they arent exactly awesome quality and the packaging didnt help. I cut em and got em in pretty good but it still kinda bothers me on the quality of the lens. From far away they look great but up close you can see the imperfections.....Im a real perfectionist when it comes to stuff i do and I dont think theres really any way to get these absolutely flawless. Also when you cut them how did you hold them in the housing? There are those 6 little nubs in the housing, 3 are raised and 3 are flush with the edge of the housing. Did you cut your lens making it a tight fit for those 3 nubs that are flush with the housing? Thanks. I appreciate the input. I also did a little writeup on opening the headlights on my cardomain site and I plan on doing writeups for each step I take to finish the lights. As of right now I can only work on the lights on weekends with school and stuff.

-Steve
Old 02-12-2004, 06:00 AM

no one else can help me out here.......
Old 02-12-2004, 06:02 AM
NT2SHBBY

flat black or maybe semi-gloss black-not fully gloss tho

Old 02-12-2004, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by NT2SHBBY
flat black or maybe semi-gloss black-not fully gloss tho
i agree with this comment
Old 02-12-2004, 07:23 AM

Kpazzo6 painted his with Krylon Flat Black Spray Paint...2 coats. Looked real good, but his car is white.
Old 02-12-2004, 08:02 AM

yeah it looks like most people use flat black regardless of the color of the car. I'm probably gonna end up going with the flat black hi temp paint. I talked to one of my buddies who works in paint at an auto parts shop and he said I might want to also use a adhesion promotor to make sure it sticks well and doesnt bubble or peel but I dont think anyone else has done really any prep work, just went ahead and painted.

-Steve
Old 02-12-2004, 09:11 AM

Why don't you just go with the Satin Trim Paint, it's a flat paint with a little texture and a tiny, tiny, tiny bit of shine. I used it on my job and think that it provides a richer look. It's for bumpers. Whatever you do, don't use the gloss.
Old 02-12-2004, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Edward Lee
Why don't you just go with the Satin Trim Paint, it's a flat paint with a little texture and a tiny, tiny, tiny bit of shine. I used it on my job and think that it provides a richer look. It's for bumpers. Whatever you do, don't use the gloss.

Just wondering what your reasoning is for not using the gloss. Also when you painted yours did you do any type of prep work. Obviously I am going to have to clean the surface of the housings somehow to get any skin oil residue off them from touching it but did you just tape and spray?

-Steve
Old 02-12-2004, 11:05 AM

Every car that I see on the street that has blacked out housngs from the factory, like BMW, Toyota, etc.. has a flat black finish. I wanted that same look on my car as to make it look as if it came that way from the factory. I also wanted to make it so that there would be no reflection from the paint making the lights stand out more. The stock finish shoots light all over the place. I didn't want that. Just go with the satin bumper and trim paint. It looks great. No prep work needed. Several light coats should do the trick. I would post some pics but I lost my digital camera.
Old 02-12-2004, 04:28 PM

Go with the flat black or semi glass black paint. Check out my website for pics.
Old 02-13-2004, 04:26 PM

Is high temp paint really necessary to do this or should I be ok with just a regular enamel? I thought a hitemp or engine enamel would be required because the housing must get fairly hot. It seems like everyone uses just regular spray paint. I just dont want to run into bubbling or cracking problems down the road.

-Steve
Old 02-13-2004, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by scmaxima2k
Is high temp paint really necessary to do this or should I be ok with just a regular enamel? I thought a hitemp or engine enamel would be required because the housing must get fairly hot. It seems like everyone uses just regular spray paint. I just dont want to run into bubbling or cracking problems down the road.-Steve
I used regular auto body spray paint and have no problems with it bubbling whatsoever. The HID's dont run on suck a high wattage either so it should be ok.
Heres pics of mine:
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/351821/7
Old 02-13-2004, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Nathan
I used regular auto body spray paint and have no problems with it bubbling whatsoever. The HID's dont run on suck a high wattage either so it should be ok.
Heres pics of mine:
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/351821/7

How long have you had yours painted for? What kinda prep work did you do?