5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

So today I got the auto tranny slipping TSB done(long)....

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2003, 08:43 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

So today I got the auto tranny slipping TSB done(long)....

Today I got the auto tranny TSB for slipping done on my 2000 Maxima. They replaced the TCM and Solenoids. I dropped the car off at 8AM and requested that their Master Tech do the work on my car, he is also the one who does all the STILLEN installs for them(this dealership sells stillen). So I tell them Im gonna pick up the car when i get out of work. So I show up after work to get the car, go inside, pick up my keys and the paperwork and walk out to my car. I take a few minutes to walk around the car quickly to check for any new scratches or dings or any other things that werent there this morning(I practically know every corner of my car by heart and I can tell if a new ding or scratch pops up). I did this inspection quite quickly for some reason, alot quicker than the inspection I usually do when picking up the car from service, I think I was too anxious to actually drive it to see if the shifting was improved. So I get in, notice they put 5 miles on it, thats fine. I start her up, and head home. On the way home I noticed no difference at all in the shifting, first to second felt a little sharper, but not much, second to third still dragged. Anyways, I get home and begin to do another inspection of the car, first thing i notice is that they must of taken out my center console because the pieces were loose around the shifter and I also noticed little gashes where one piece meets another where they must of inserted a screwdriver to loosen the parts of the console. No big deal I guess, I popped the few loose pieces into place. Next I get out and walk around the car. I look in my drivers side wheel well and see this:

They obviously didnt replace this fender guard completely and it dragged and rubbed agianst my tire on the way home causing a hole to wear in it and its pretty torn up. Now Im starting to get mad because thats just a sign of a sloppy job. Then I notice a trail of ATF down my drivers side front fender. Im now getting a little more angry seeing as how im pretty **** about these little things which I feel could have been avoided or at least cleaned up. So I finally pop the hood. It looked as if a 3 year old must have filled my ATF. Small puddles of the red fluid were everywhere. On the relay box covers, all over the battery, where the tranny dipstick was it was soaked, ATF was everywhere. Is this normal? This is my first major service done by nissan, but seriously is this the quality work they do? Another thing I noticed was this:

There is oil or something soaking where the intake manifold meets the top of the motor. This may have been like this before and Im not blaming it directly to todays service, but I have never removed the manifold before and never had anything done to the car in which it would have been necessary to remove it. You can also tell from the bolts they they were recently wrenched because the corners of the bolts are worn and the screws on the sides show that a screwdriver had been in them.
Anyways this was my experience with Nissan's service. Please feel free to comment on my situation. I will be taking the car back to Nissan tomorrow morning to let them know what I found and take it from there. Sorry for the long post, just had to rant, even though it may not seem too bad to some people, this stuff really got to me because I work so hard to keep my car in as mint condition as I can and dumb stuff like this just gets to me. Thanks for reading.

Steve
Old 06-25-2003, 10:32 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by MaxiPad96
mechanics in the US are stupid... its not a respectable proffession such as in countries like germany and other european nations. Americans are cheap, sloppy, poorly trained.
Don't you think you are generalizing just a bit? I'm sure there are a fair share of sloppy mechanics in ANY country. Heck there may be a few more in the US than other countries, but I'd avoid making blanket statements though by using the word ALL. I have a few friends that are mechanics and they do great work, are respected and take pride in their work.
Old 06-26-2003, 05:28 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

And all this work was done by their master technician? Damn, I'd hate to see how one of their newbies would do
Old 06-26-2003, 05:56 AM

I just don't trust anyone to service my cars except myself. The few times I have taken it in were awful. Once to flush the tranny and the dealer left the hose loose and all the tranny fluid leaked out, Another time the oil plug was loose and the oil leaked. Only my wife who takes her Accord to Honda has had good luck with some great service and no screw ups.