5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Quiet car!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2003, 08:31 AM
kmv
Newbie - Just Registered

Quiet car!

Hey org.,

Just posted a little while ago about my new 2003, but forgot to add something.

So I get home with the new car yesterday and my wife hops in and we go for a little drive in a residential neighbourhood. So, we're driving along going real slow and we come up behind a man walking in the middle of the road pushing his kid in a tricycle. At this point I am 20 feet behind him expecting him to hear me and walk towards the side of the road...I didn't want to scare the sh*t out of him by hitting the horn. So we're still behind him for a good 45 secs and still nothing! Finally tapped the horn lightly and he turns around with this stunned look on his face like...WHERE DID THIS CAR COME FROM IN STEALTH LIKE FASHION?????

Damm...this car is quiet!

KMV
Old 04-11-2003, 08:34 AM
jjs

Re: Quiet car!

Originally posted by kmv
Hey org.,

So I get home with the new car yesterday and my wife hops in and we go for a little drive in a residential neighbourhood. So, we're driving along going real slow and we come up behind a man walking in the middle of the road pushing his kid in a tricycle. At this point I am 20 feet behind him expecting him to hear me and walk towards the side of the road...I didn't want to scare the sh*t out of him by hitting the horn. So we're still behind him for a good 45 secs and still nothing! Finally tapped the horn lightly and he turns around with this stunned look on his face like...WHERE DID THIS CAR COME FROM IN STEALTH LIKE FASHION?????

KMV
Aw you should have scared the **** out of him!!! Pushing a tricycle in the middle of the road!! Time to thin out the herd again.

Old 04-11-2003, 08:40 AM
Banned

Originally posted by kmv
Hey org.,

KMV
He prolly forgot his hearing aid at home!!!
Old 04-11-2003, 08:58 AM
92 SE-R 02 SE

Re: Re: Quiet car!

Originally posted by vito1281

He prolly forgot his hearing aid at home!!!

Yeah, you have to drive at least 20-30MPH to hear the wind noise!

Old 04-11-2003, 09:00 AM
jjs

Re: Re: Re: Quiet car!

Originally posted by 92 SE-R 02 SE

Yeah, you have to drive at least 20-30MPH to hear the wind noise!
Sad thing is, it is probably noisier inside the cabin than to outside people.

These cars are not know for great sound deadening.
Old 04-11-2003, 09:11 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by kmv
Hey org.,

KMV
You should of just gas'd it in "n" and let him hear the roar or VQ
Old 04-11-2003, 09:22 AM

I was at a lapping day at one of the local tracks once and I took a passenger with me and we were at the end of the pits waiting to be flagged onto the track by one of the marshalls (looking for an opening for me to get on the track). As we were waiting for the flag, my passenger asked me, so are you going to turn on the engine? I was like, it is on...
(granted we had helmets but he really thought the engine was off from inside the car). I thought that was funny at the time...
Old 04-11-2003, 10:58 AM

Originally posted by kmv
Hey org.,

KMV
Yeah, wait till you get a good 10 grand on the car, then it won't be so quiet. Enjoy it while you can.
Old 04-11-2003, 12:54 PM

My last car was a 99 Z24 4-banger with a 5spd, and when you were in gear and brought the idles even the slightest bit below regular idle speed you knew it right away, the car vibrated like mad... Most other manual cars are like this also.... The Maxima you feel nothing until around 300 rpm, then its a slight shaking, then you look down, oh crap, clutch in.. thats better...

When I first got it there were a few times where I had stalled coming up to a redlight because there are no big tell tale signs of stalling!