5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Mobil1 vs. Royal Purple

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2003, 06:13 AM

Mobil1 vs. Royal Purple

How do you think Mobil1 compares to Royal Purple? Both sound like they would do a good job.
Old 04-08-2003, 06:56 AM

Royal Purple, Amsoil and Redline all exceed Mobil 1. That doesn't mean that Mobil 1 is a bad oil.
Old 04-08-2003, 06:58 AM
NT2SHBBY

Originally posted by Virus
Royal Purple, Amsoil and Redline all exceed Mobil 1. That doesn't mean that Mobil 1 is a bad oil.
even though I bought Mobil 1 already, where can Amsoil or the others be purchased? no store in NY that I know of sells these brands...

Old 04-08-2003, 07:03 AM

Just changed my tranny fluid last week with Royal Purple in my 2k2
6spd. No complaints from me, tranny is smooth as silk. I think its
a little less expensive than Mobile 1.
Old 04-08-2003, 07:18 AM

There is a group deal going on right now on amsoil. I don't think you can buy it any regular stores. They have distribution stores at various locations.
Old 04-08-2003, 07:45 AM

Why is everyone so horny over Redline and Amsoil? Don't you all think it's overkill? I used Mobil 1 in my Acura Integra GS-R up to 250,000km and the engine guts still looked and ran like new... comparing the majority of synthetics (exluding Castrol) is like comparing apples and apples (unless, of course, you race your car at the track every weekend... but I'll assume most of us don't)

Save the money and just get Mobil 1 or Valvoline Synthetic... the amount of money you'd save on oil could easily go to something that actually does make a big difference - a y-pipe, etc...

Guinness
Old 04-08-2003, 07:48 AM

You can normally find Amsoil at mom and pop shops or just look in your yellow pages. Personally, I buy it from iwannabmw here on the org. Series 2000 0w30 has no equal
Old 04-08-2003, 08:13 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Originally posted by Guinness
Why is everyone so horny over Redline and Amsoil? Don't you all think it's overkill? I used Mobil 1 in my Acura Integra GS-R up to 250,000km and the engine guts still looked and ran like new... comparing the majority of synthetics (exluding Castrol) is like comparing apples and apples (unless, of course, you race your car at the track every weekend... but I'll assume most of us don't)

Save the money and just get Mobil 1 or Valvoline Synthetic... the amount of money you'd save on oil could easily go to something that actually does make a big difference - a y-pipe, etc...

Guinness
Good beer, but in the opinion of oil...well opinions are a dime a dozen.

I know that formulas are changing and ash content, pourability (sp?), and other critical "features" are different from synthetic to synthetic. Also the base stock is different. So it all depends on what yo are looking for. AMSOil seems to meet the "high" standards that people are looking for.

We all know Mobil1 has changed, but its not necessarily for the bad. Just doesnt meet the "standards" I have.

You know...just my .02
Old 04-08-2003, 08:28 AM

For anyone who does not know, Porsche usues Mobil 1 Synthetic's in their Factory cars.

Now, if Mobil is good enough for a company like Porsche isn't it good enough for my Maxima?

Redline and Amsoil its probably most popular amoung people who goes to tracks and do "Moderate" amount of races, but if you are a "part-time" street racer I do think Redline/Amsoil its probably a overkill.

But again, its drivers choice.....Redline/Amsoil its 10x harder to track down in your local stores than Mobil 1 which I can just go to local Walmart to find, Can't say the same for Redline/Amsoil.
Old 04-08-2003, 08:56 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Originally posted by woosh
There is a group deal going on right now on amsoil. I don't think you can buy it any regular stores. They have distribution stores at various locations.
There is? Do you have a thread link? I just found out that AMSOil makes motorcycle oil too (not sure why I never thought of this before ). Thats where I REALLY go through oil.
Old 04-08-2003, 09:01 AM

A guy in the Canadian forum (VQMaster) has Royal Purple in his engine and 5-speed tranny and claims he did get a few extra horses (as advertised). He did some highway runs with another Max before and after. Before they were side by side, after, he started slowly walking him. It's obviously not very precise way of doing it (more like an enhanced butt dyno) but he swears Royal Purple added a little bit of power. I guess only a real dyno would show making sure the environment for the two dynos were similar.

Old 04-08-2003, 09:02 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Originally posted by nismotech
Redline and Amsoil its probably most popular amoung people who goes to tracks and do "Moderate" amount of races, but if you are a "part-time" street racer I do think Redline/Amsoil its probably a overkill.

But again, its drivers choice.....Redline/Amsoil its 10x harder to track down in your local stores than Mobil 1 which I can just go to local Walmart to find, Can't say the same for Redline/Amsoil.
"tracking" it down is not hard. About 2 minutes of research will get you what you need. Even less on this website.

PLUS, per quart its costing me about the same as Mobil1 (Syn) on the shelf. So, cost, performance...I just cant see why "dip" in oil quality.
Old 04-08-2003, 10:26 PM

Here you go Colonel,

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=203234

The question of overkill or not, I dunno. However an ounce of prevention is always better than 2 ten pound bags of cure.

redline has been proven in independent third party tests to have a lower coefficient of friction. good in my book that other ppl cn reproduce redline's claim.

I just have the orgs word on amsoil, and I dont go against the word of the org unless i've weight, measured and tagged the item twice.

The biggest problem is redline and amsoil is not immediately accessible enough for me ....so i settle for mobil 1

overkill or not? depends from where u standing
SHIFT_woosh
Old 04-09-2003, 12:21 AM
Wat

Royal Purple, Amsoil and Redline all exceed Mobil 1.
Says who?
Old 04-09-2003, 02:32 AM

Originally posted by E55AMG2

Says who?
Says all independent testing using standardized testing methods.

As far as overkill, I adhere to the extended drain intervals so the Amsoil is a ton cheaper than Mobil 1.
Old 04-09-2003, 03:36 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

You can normally find Amsoil at mom and pop shops or just look in your yellow pages. Personally, I buy it from iwannabmw here on the org. Series 2000 0w30 has no equal
Old 04-09-2003, 04:50 AM

Royal Purple.
Old 04-09-2003, 08:44 AM

Why is everyone so horny over Redline and Amsoil? Don't you all think it's overkill?
For some, it may be overkill. If you look into the spreadsheet located in the General Forum, you can see some people who are "normal" drivers who still benefit from Redline and Amsoil.
Old 04-09-2003, 08:51 AM

Originally posted by Colonel

I just found out that AMSOil makes motorcycle oil too (not sure why I never thought of this before ). Thats where I REALLY go through oil.
Amsoil has products formulated for many specific applications, they are not really a one size fits all company.

For example, the motorcycle oils aren't friction modified, so they are fully compatible with bike that use a wet clutch setup and their superior anti-wear properties really are a significant benefit for the steep cam lobes typical in motorcycle engines.
Old 04-09-2003, 08:56 AM

Amsoil and the Sales Tax Issue:

I just wanted to clarify a few things on this issue. One of the unique things about ordering the products through me is that I am now a tax exempt dealer and don't have to charge sales tax. Most dealers, even when they advertise they sell at cost, must also include sales tax in their total so you end up paying more.

There are two exceptions to the tax issue. If you live in MA, I still have to collect it or if your state has excise taxes I have to collect them. For example, CA has both sales and excise taxes. When people order through me, I have to collect the 4 cent per quart excise tax, but you do NOT have to pay the 8.5% sales tax.
Old 04-09-2003, 09:09 AM
Wat

Which mobil are they testing? If its the conventional oil, then I'd say I understand. But if its Mobil 1, then I wont believe it. I race porsches on the weekend, and the best oil we have found is the mobil 1 15W50 Synthetic.
Old 04-09-2003, 04:46 PM

Which mobil are they testing? If its the conventional oil, then I'd say I understand. But if its Mobil 1, then I wont believe it. I race porsches on the weekend, and the best oil we have found is the mobil 1 15W50 Synthetic.
The spreadsheet on this site has data for conventional Mobil, Mobil 1 Tri-Syn and Super Syn. You can also go to http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php to see more analysis results on the same oils for a wider variety of vehicles.

What other oils have you tried in the Porsche and when you say "best" what exactly do you mean? Most horsepower, lower oil temps, reduced consumption.....??????
Old 04-09-2003, 04:53 PM

Royal purple all the way,
my local auto shop have sell it for 4.19/ quart, that's even less than what i used to pay for mobil 1
Old 04-09-2003, 05:22 PM

Guinness
what's wrong with the catrol?? i've been using their synthetics for such a long time.
Old 04-09-2003, 08:20 PM
Wat

the engine makes more power on mobil 1 (at least it feels that way) and when we pull the engine apart, its the cleanest we have ever seen.
That may be for a porsche though, cause that is the oil they are designed with.
Old 04-09-2003, 08:30 PM

Amsoil

I studied this subject quite carefully. I looked over the oil analysis data here and elsewhere many times. I think people are overly found of Amsoil. Their supposed drain interval is way over estimated. I think Mobil 1 is better. That is purely based off of the numbers I have seen from multiple engine analyses. I think Amsoil is a very very good oil. It's just that people seem to think it is a super oil or somthing. It's just a top of the line synthetic, nothing more. Mobil 1 is atleast as good, probably better.
Old 04-09-2003, 09:40 PM

the engine makes more power on mobil 1 (at least it feels that way) and when we pull the engine apart, its the cleanest we have ever seen.
That may be for a porsche though, cause that is the oil they are designed with.
I can see the engine making more power on Mobil 1 for one very simple reason. It's thinnner than either Amsoil or Redline at 100C. At your operating temperatures, (I'm guessing between 250-260F) the difference should be even larger.

I can't explain why M1 would be cleaner than Redline or Amsoil though. Have you tried those brands? What are you comparing the M1 to?
Old 04-09-2003, 09:43 PM

Re: Amsoil

Originally posted by Self
It's just that people seem to think it is a super oil or somthing. It's just a top of the line synthetic, nothing more. Mobil 1 is atleast as good, probably better.
It's not a magical oil, you're right. It is a top tier oil though. Mobil 1 does a lot of things very well, Amsoil does some of them better. Have you seen the other oil analysis sites that include many makes and models, or are you soley basing your comments on the spreadsheet here?
Old 04-09-2003, 10:24 PM

Both "self" and "iwannabmw", you're comparing Amsoil, Mobil1 and Redline. What about Royal Purple? I mean, the thread's subject is asking about Mobil1 and Royal Purple, not Amsoil and Redline.
Any thoughts? Thanks.
Old 04-10-2003, 05:13 AM

"what's wrong with the catrol?? i've been using their synthetics for such a long time"

Castrol Syntec is not actually a full synthetic - but a high grade of dyno oil that's been manipulated to give it 'similar properties to synthetic' (at least according to Castrol).
Old 04-10-2003, 07:48 AM

Originally posted by Axel
Both "self" and "iwannabmw", you're comparing Amsoil, Mobil1 and Redline. What about Royal Purple? I mean, the thread's subject is asking about Mobil1 and Royal Purple, not Amsoil and Redline.
Any thoughts? Thanks.
We did drift a little, didn't we? I wouldn't call RP a bad oil, but the actual analysis data I've seen on it doesn't indicate that it protects very well or lasts very long in an actual engine. Granted, the amount of data for RP is fairly limited compared to the other brands. For the price of it in the states, there are much better oils with a proven track record. In Canada it's a slightly different story, but given a choice between M1 and RP for a similar price, I would choose M1 every time. The SuperSyn series is starting to prove that it's light years above the old Tri-Syn line.
Old 04-10-2003, 07:53 AM

"what's wrong with the catrol?? i've been using their synthetics for such a long time"

Castrol Syntec is not actually a full synthetic - but a high grade of dyno oil that's been manipulated to give it 'similar properties to synthetic' (at least according to Castrol).
Exactly, Castrol Syntec is a Group III base which is a synthetic in a legal sense only. Castrol quietly switched formulations without any notice and they were nice enough to keep the price the same. In my local Wal-Mart, Syntec actual costs more than Mobil 1.

If you look at the analysis results, Castrol's own GTX actual holds up better than their Syntec does. My personal take on it is if you're going to pay the price for a full synthetic, you might as well get a full synthetic.
Old 04-10-2003, 05:03 PM

RP

Sorry, I didn't mention RP since I have not seen enough data on it to make an argument for or against. I am sure any Max owner could run it, Ams, Red, or Mobil and not see any significant difference. The whole subject is really academic more than anything else. You will never see an engine problem that would have been prevented by one or the other.
Old 04-10-2003, 05:26 PM
Wat

Re: RP

The whole point of the discussion was to see whether a special "performance" motor oil is actually better than what you can get at your local autozone. The fact of the matter is, in our application it makes almost no differece. Its purely a mental thing. You may prefer M1, or you may be a die hard RP guy. Unless you really stress the car ( IE sprint or endurance racing) the difference is negligable. Hard street driving isnt really that hard when you compare it to a 3 hr sprint race on a roadcourse. Basically, it comes down to what you prefer. Now, synthetics ARE better than conventionals. There is no doubt about this, but the differences between them (synthetics and other synthetics) arent really that great.
Old 04-10-2003, 06:19 PM

Re: Re: RP

The whole point of the discussion was to see whether a special "performance" motor oil is actually better than what you can get at your local autozone. The fact of the matter is, in our application it makes almost no differece. Its purely a mental thing. You may prefer M1, or you may be a die hard RP guy. Unless you really stress the car ( IE sprint or endurance racing) the difference is negligable. Hard street driving isnt really that hard when you compare it to a 3 hr sprint race on a roadcourse. Basically, it comes down to what you prefer. Now, synthetics ARE better than conventionals. There is no doubt about this, but the differences between them (synthetics and other synthetics) arent really that great.
I consider a oil that has been proven time and again to last up to 20k compared to most synthetics that start to break down at 5k a substantial difference.
Old 04-10-2003, 11:39 PM
Wat

Re: Re: Re: RP

I know mobil 1 can go for 20k no problem. Proof of this is in my fathers mercedes, where the service intervals go from 18-22k.
Old 04-11-2003, 02:32 AM

My brother didn't change the oil on his firebird for 13k with the factory oil still in it. That's not proof. Oil Analysis is proof.
Old 04-11-2003, 08:16 AM
BiggD23

If anyone has INDEPENDENT 3RD PARTY analysis of Mobil 1 vs Amsoil (and RP and Redline) I'd love to read it. I spent some time last night trying to dig up some comparisons through Google and the only thing I can find is biased hype from Amsoil themselves. What I'm looking for is an opinion from someone who:

1) Has compared and tested these synthetics

and

2) DOES NOT have a stake in the results. This means no one who is an Amsoil dealer.

It seems the only thing you can find comes from the Amsoil dealer sites, and it's copied word for word. Every site is the same as the last.

Old 04-11-2003, 09:03 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by BiggD23

It seems the only thing you can find comes from the Amsoil dealer sites, and it's copied word for word. Every site is the same as the last. [/B]
The truth should be the truth. Are you complaining because AMSOIL is a superior product. Their testing procedure(s) are documented and they publish them on shipping cartons and bottles of oil comparing other oils and no one is suing them!!! I am sure if the claims were false they would have been in court a long time ago! I find it refreshing that of all the oil companies out there one company stands heads and shoulders above the others and puts their money where their mouth is!! No I am not a dealer but an individual from Corporate America who really knows how the system (especially legal) works! Use RP if you like it, it is the best for you! I'll stick with AMSOIL, others will stick with Redline, Mobile 1, etc...
Old 04-11-2003, 09:07 AM
I'm needing a caw

You could have looked at Bill's oil sticky thread and found WAY more information. I did the same search as you and found alot of information. You didn't search very hard.

Originally posted by BiggD23
If anyone has INDEPENDENT 3RD PARTY analysis of Mobil 1 vs Amsoil (and RP and Redline) I'd love to read it. I spent some time last night trying to dig up some comparisons through Google and the only thing I can find is biased hype from Amsoil themselves. What I'm looking for is an opinion from someone who:

1) Has compared and tested these synthetics

and

2) DOES NOT have a stake in the results. This means no one who is an Amsoil dealer.

It seems the only thing you can find comes from the Amsoil dealer sites, and it's copied word for word. Every site is the same as the last.

Quick Reply: Mobil1 vs. Royal Purple