5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

For those who are/were interested in a frosted piece for their 2k2 HID Lights.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2002, 01:02 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

For those who are/were interested in a frosted piece for their 2k2 HID Lights.....

to replace the orange reflector piece....the size is 3 1/4 in diameter all the way around (perfect circle) & about 1/4 inch thick (some people may consider it 1/2 inch thick but its really not).

oh yea...i ordered my piece today from:
Tap Plastics Inc
4538 Auburn Bl
Sacramento, CA 95814
(510) 357-3755
(THEY WILL SHIP THEM!!! )

Ask for Lisa really nice....they have 2 colors: (1)transulent frosted piece & (2) a milky frosted piece. I installed the transulent frosted pieces. SEE PICS--->

PICS OF INSTALLED PIECES......(you can see a tint of blue b/c the bulbs I installed were blue)

Full Size Pic 1

Full Size Pic 2

Full Size Pic 3

Full Size Pic 4
Old 09-11-2002, 12:19 PM

Re: For those who are/were interested in a frosted piece for their 2k2 HID Lights.....

ok guys/girls got the pieces yesterday....will post pics when i get home after work (9p CST)...b/c digicam ran out of batteries yesterday when I installed themn
Old 09-11-2002, 01:00 PM

That's odd. They say they are located in Sacramento but their area code is 510, which is the bay area. Anyway, how much was it for a pair?
Old 09-11-2002, 03:59 PM

This is a direct replacement? How do you change it?
Old 09-11-2002, 05:19 PM

I am interested in these. How easy are they to install? Is there a write up? Please post pics and price.

Thanks.
Old 09-11-2002, 07:29 PM

Yeah?!?

Originally posted by maximilion

How are you going to change the reflector without destroying the headlight housing?? I need to know how to open up the housing too for my 2k2 angel-eye conversion.

Deac
Old 09-11-2002, 07:32 PM

Re: Yeah?!?

Originally posted by Deac

How are you going to change the reflector without destroying the headlight housing?? I need to know how to open up the housing too for my 2k2 angel-eye conversion.

Deac
Deac, search for the thread where Emax opened the headlight housing to do the clearing mod
Old 09-11-2002, 10:57 PM

Originally posted by MaxSEima
Anyway, how much was it for a pair?
I paid $8 + $5 shipping....not bad at all considering they did a perfect cut & the frosted plexi piece looks really good!

Originally posted by maximilion
Yes....but you have to OPEN 2K2 HOUSINGS....after that you push out the orange piece gently not to break the 'teeth' that hold it in place so that way the frosted piece if you decide to order are a direct fit in same place w/o moving.

Originally posted by pjonkheer
I am interested in these. How easy are they to install? Is there a write up? Please post pics and price.
Fairly easy....lets just say I didnt know jack what I was doing till I read emax95 thread on how to do it & actually did it. pics=see below ; price=see above

See above link....also very, very, carefully.
I was thinking of installing angel-eyes or demon-eyes (same thing- but they go by 2 names) but got tired of looking for 2 weeks straight for the right ones. I wanted a hyper-white look, not the stock yellowish color stock headlights emit. But goodluck & let me know if you if you find the hyper-white angel eyes...
Old 09-11-2002, 11:10 PM

Sorry, didnt post earlier but g/f didnt wanna let me leave her house.
We'll here's the pics I promised....this plexi glass piece is call a transulent frosted piece (I'm pretty sure). I have a pair of a milky-white plexi that they also sent me...PM if your interested

Special thanks to emax for posting the thread on How he opened up his 2k2 housing...........And also BIG thanks to BigDog for providing me a write up, on how to wire the 2k2 HID's to my car.
(Also dont email me for a copy of this b/c I wont send it....you have to ask BigDog)
Old 09-11-2002, 11:32 PM

Re: For those who are/were interested in a frosted piece for their 2k2 HID Lights.....

Originally posted by K Pazzo 6
to replace the orange reflector piece....the size is 3 1/4 in diameter all the way around (perfect circle) & about 1/4 inch thick (some people may consider it 1/2 inch thick but its really not). check for yourself if you dont know what i'm talking about....
http://www.polygods.com/modelpics/242102232625.jpg
http://www.polygods.com/modelpics/242102232720.jpg

Tap Plastics
Inc 4538 Auburn Bl
Sacramento, CA 95814
(510) 357-3755

Ask for Lisa really nice....they have 2 colors that look frosted & she is sending me 1 pair of each so that way I keep the one I like. If you wanna wait till I get the pieces I'll post pics of what they look like in the housing....hopefully it looks like this.

<--- not my pic so credit to whoever it is....i just had it saved on my computer.

hmmm......thats my pic..haha tap plastics is the place..but they wanted 8 a peice at one shop...10 each at another and at the time i had mine made they charged me 7 a PAIR......WTF...oh well..its 1/4" i think...or 3/8" frosted/opaque plexi. I belive the tap plastics thats in 510 is the one in San Leandro their main branch i belive.
Old 09-11-2002, 11:54 PM

Re: Re: Yeah?!?

Originally posted by Cutlr7

Deac, search for the thread where Emax opened the headlight housing to do the clearing mod
Search? What the hell is that...

My head light refleftor in my sig is home made
Old 09-12-2002, 05:02 AM

whats the inside of the reflector look like? does it look like the chrome 'dish' that the HID and highbeams are in?

also, does the turnsignal light look weird, like its not diffused enough without the reflector?
Old 09-12-2002, 05:26 AM

K pazzo...you should put the other set you ordered above the turn signal...just a thought. Your lights look DOPE!
Old 09-12-2002, 09:58 AM

Originally posted by big h
K pazzo...you should put the other set you ordered above the turn signal...just a thought. Your lights look DOPE!
actually the extra set i have is a different color....its a milky white...if i get a chance I'll post pics today of them...

P.S.-- Pics dont do the justice....you have to see these to LOVE them...if you have a '00 or '01 maxima then I highly suggest you get 2k2+ hid's...they look incredible & the light it emits at night is amazing....I can see everything on the road so clear
Old 09-12-2002, 10:02 AM

actually the extra set i have is a different color....its a milky white...if i get a chance I'll post pics today of them...

P.S.-- Pics dont do the justice....you have to see these to LOVE them...if you have a '00 or '01 maxima then I highly suggest you get 2k2+ hid's...they look incredible & the light it emits at night is amazing....I can see everything on the road so clear
I totally agree!
Old 09-12-2002, 11:47 AM
I miss the .org!

Very useful info., thanks K Pazzo. I plan on taking out the amber piece, and had been looking for a clear plastic piece to replace it. Then I looked at Nathan's sig. He took out the amber piece, and left it open. I think it actually matches the HID housing and the highbeams housing pretty well. I might just do that instead.
Old 09-12-2002, 01:44 PM

Originally posted by Triple8Sol
Very useful info., thanks K Pazzo. I plan on taking out the amber piece, and had been looking for a clear plastic piece to replace it. Then I looked at Nathan's sig. He took out the amber piece, and left it open. I think it actually matches the HID housing and the highbeams housing pretty well. I might just do that instead.
u can do that too...but i didnt like the fact that you can see the bulb....but thats just my opinon
Old 06-10-2003, 06:26 AM
BiggD23

Has anyone else done this? I'm thinking of ordering the frosted lenses to replace the orange ones in the HIDs. Is this technically illegal?

Old 06-10-2003, 07:53 AM

i've done this... used to exact same pieces as kpazzo6... they look awesome, but i'm not sure on the legality of them (probably illegal)... if u replace the turn signal bulbs also, the lights are BRIGHT... when i'm sitting at a traffice light with my turn signal on.. i can see it light up almost all the street signs... only thing about kpazzo's post is that the address shows their sacramento office.. while the phone number is a different office... still should have no porblems.. they take orders over the phone..
Old 06-10-2003, 08:01 AM
BiggD23

Originally posted by skandalouz
i've done this... used to exact same pieces as kpazzo6... they look awesome, but i'm not sure on the legality of them (probably illegal)... if u replace the turn signal bulbs also, the lights are BRIGHT... when i'm sitting at a traffice light with my turn signal on.. i can see it light up almost all the street signs... only thing about kpazzo's post is that the address shows their sacramento office.. while the phone number is a different office... still should have no porblems.. they take orders over the phone..

What did you replace the turn signal bulb with? Is it clear or blue? Do you have a part number? Thanks.

Old 06-10-2003, 08:08 AM

i used some polarg hyperwhite bulb... jus went in a carshop and bought it.. but i believe the part number is 7440...the single one.. not the dual (7443?)... the color of the bulb is blue.. but it shines white..
Old 06-10-2003, 08:40 AM
BiggD23

I just ordered my frosted lenses, I think I might actually get brave and try this one. One more questions for you...did you remove the old glue and use new silicone to seal it or did you heat up the old stuff and re-use it? I don't want any condensation so I'm very concerned about getting a good seal.

Old 06-10-2003, 09:00 AM
2-Wheelin it...

MY INPUT:

1, you can't replace the top piece because it's an actual part of the housing, the reason i was able to remove it when i took apart my housing was cause i dremeled it off. it will not look pretty, s don't do it. you will have to settle with leaving it "ridged"

2, i personally dont' like these frosted lens. i would be much happier if it matched the clearance light, with the ridges. IIRC, someone here had bought a set of $11 lights from home depot and used a dremel to make a cutout off that light. the glass had the same ridges and to me, it was the most PERFECT match anyone could have come up with it. and it looked 1000000x's better since it matched with the clearance like. very clean and stock looking too. these lens, although they bolt on quite easily, dont' match. clean lens, ridged lens, and then headlights. 3 different patterns. not my style.

i'm not hating, because if you like then all the better for you. i just dont' wnt people to think that they have to get that lens cause there's nothing else they can do. this weekend i'm gonna buy those lights from HD and make the cutouts, so you can see how they match.
Old 06-10-2003, 09:18 AM

POST YOUR PICS

Originally posted by PoLo
MY INPUT:

1, you can't replace the top piece because it's an actual part of the housing, the reason i was able to remove it when i took apart my housing was cause i dremeled it off. it will not look pretty, s don't do it. you will have to settle with leaving it &quot;ridged&quot;

2, i personally dont' like these frosted lens. i would be much happier if it matched the clearance light, with the ridges. IIRC, someone here had bought a set of $11 lights from home depot and used a dremel to make a cutout off that light. the glass had the same ridges and to me, it was the most PERFECT match anyone could have come up with it. and it looked 1000000x's better since it matched with the clearance like. very clean and stock looking too. these lens, although they bolt on quite easily, dont' match. clean lens, ridged lens, and then headlights. 3 different patterns. not my style.

i'm not hating, because if you like then all the better for you. i just dont' wnt people to think that they have to get that lens cause there's nothing else they can do. this weekend i'm gonna buy those lights from HD and make the cutouts, so you can see how they match.
Can all the guys who did this mod post pics or links 2 pics please! I want to see which method looks best! thanx...

Deac
Old 06-10-2003, 09:20 AM

POST YOUR PICS

i personally dont' like these frosted lens. i would be much happier if it matched the clearance light, with the ridges. IIRC, someone here had bought a set of $11 lights from home depot and used a dremel to make a cutout off that light. the glass had the same ridges and to me, it was the most PERFECT match anyone could have come up with it. and it looked 1000000x's better since it matched with the clearance like. very clean and stock looking too. these lens, although they bolt on quite easily, dont' match. clean lens, ridged lens, and then headlights. 3 different patterns. not my style.

i'm not hating, because if you like then all the better for you. i just dont' wnt people to think that they have to get that lens cause there's nothing else they can do. this weekend i'm gonna buy those lights from HD and make the cutouts, so you can see how they match. [/B][/QUOTE]

Can all the guys who did this mod post pics or links 2 pics please! I want to see which method looks best! thanx...

Deac
Old 06-10-2003, 09:24 AM
BiggD23

I like the frosted lens myself. I think it gives it a nice look. I don't think I would like it as much if it was just ridged and matched the other one. But to each his own, just my $.02.

Old 06-10-2003, 09:27 AM
It's chrome alright...

Re: POST YOUR PICS

i personally dont' like these frosted lens. i would be much happier if it matched the clearance light, with the ridges.
Deac

anyone know where to get something like that?
Old 06-10-2003, 10:16 AM

The lens Polo are talking about are actually 11 watt flood light bulbs. You can pick them up from Home depot in the outside light bulb section right before you get to the garden section. They are in a clear and white plastic bag and are about $6.00 for the set, there is no name on the plastic so I can't tell you the manufacture. They are almost a perfect match. Does anyone know where I can get a good amber/yellow bulb to put in there to stay legal that is real bright, not the dull orange.
Old 06-10-2003, 10:27 AM
BiggD23

Originally posted by ICULookN
Does anyone know where I can get a good amber/yellow bulb to put in there to stay legal that is real bright, not the dull orange.

Old 07-28-2003, 10:56 PM

are these still being sold?

Polo do you have pics of the lenses that you are talking about?
Old 07-29-2003, 10:14 AM
BiggD23

Originally posted by MaxedOut

I bought the translucent frosted lenses that KPazzo has from Tap Plastics about a month or so ago, so yes they're still doing them. You need to have the dimensions when you call for them.

Old 07-29-2003, 12:24 PM

Originally posted by MaxedOut

yes they are....my friend just bought these 2 weeks ago....
Old 07-29-2003, 02:09 PM

What bulb goes inside the front turn signal?
Old 07-29-2003, 09:50 PM

??

Originally posted by BiggD23

I bought the translucent frosted lenses that KPazzo has from Tap Plastics about a month or so ago, so yes they're still doing them. You need to have the dimensions when you call for them.
What are the dimensions? I Want to call and get some.

Deac
Old 07-29-2003, 09:52 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

[B]to replace the orange reflector piece....the size is 3 1/4 in diameter all the way around (perfect circle) &amp; about 1/4 inch thick (some people may consider it 1/2 inch thick but its really not).

Tap Plastics Inc
4538 Auburn Bl
Sacramento, CA 95814
(510) 357-3755
Old 03-09-2004, 06:32 PM

Looking for suggestions here ...

I'm seriously thinking about taking my HID housings apart to install the DDE's & replace the orange lenses at the same time. I plan to install LED's instead of bulbs because they're brighter and have that "instant on" look as compared to incandescents. To complete the exterior lighting, I'm looking at the all-clear tail light assemblies available in a few places like Southwest Auto, and installing LED's there for turn signals & brake lights. Any suggestions on how to diffuse the pinpoint lighting that the LED's will produce, especially in the tail lights?
Old 03-10-2004, 03:28 PM

Why would you need to diffuse the light? Your not illuminating the road behind you. You just want to let people behind you know that you are stopping. I think the LEDs would do just that.
Old 03-10-2004, 05:51 PM

What I mean is I'm trying to figure out a way to get the entire lens to illuminate, as do the standard bulbs, but with the instant-on look of LED's. The best (and most expensive) option I can think of is what clearcorners.com does out in CA. They do complete LED conversions of car light assemblies, but specialize in "sports cars" and have basically turned me away. I think theyve done one Maxima, but don't seem interested in doing it again as they won't even give me a quote.
Old 03-11-2004, 10:27 AM

Hmmmm...

I seem to remember seeing a bulb replacment that had a number of LEDs pointing straight back and then some to the sides to hit the reflector. They were kind of expensive and unfortunately I dont remember who makes them. Try doing a search on LED bulbs and see if you can find what Im talking about.

Ive wanted to try and mount sevral LED strips in my taillights, but you would probably have to mess with resistors and stuff so I have decided to just live with the stock bulbs for now.

Sorry I cant be more help.
Old 06-19-2005, 02:54 AM

I got my lens from home depot.
Recut to size with band saw then disk sander.
Let me see if photo shows.

http://www.geocities.com/infiestatyme/max/2.jpg

Quick Reply: For those who are/were interested in a frosted piece for their 2k2 HID Lights.....