4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Rare 4th gen parts?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2019, 09:41 AM
What does that mean?

Rare 4th gen parts?

About once a month I'm at the local salvage yards checking out some flood damaged '83 Supra or something of the like, and occasionally a part or two for my '96 Maxima.
With the Supra, it's old enough that there are a bunch of 'unobtanium' parts due to them being discontinued factory parts, or low volume parts that have also been discontinued by aftermarker suppliers. I haven't noticed that sort of thing with the Maxima though. Maybe it's still new enough? I'm curious if there's any parts I should be looking for on Maximas while I'm there that might come in handy in the future.
Old 11-19-2019, 12:09 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

For your own personal collection or to resell?
Old 11-19-2019, 01:02 PM
What does that mean?

More the former, for my own stash as I'm planning on keeping the car for a while.
Old 11-19-2019, 03:27 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Nothing really rare here, but if you see something in good shape grab it now while you can

OEM sensors, MAFS, coils, crank/cam, etc.

OEM drive shafts, alternator, starter; things that can get rebuilt.

Body parts in your color.

Interior wear items console lid, cup holder, floor mats, door panel, switches, etc.

A working power antenna.

I'd grab any aftermarket performance parts. I hate seeing that stuff crushed.
Old 11-19-2019, 05:33 PM
JvG

I agree with.what JSutter said.

These are all parts which might still be available now, but might become more rare and costly later on.

Might as well grab what you can now, while the parts are common and cheap at the wrecking yard.

I don't see our cars increasing much in value or becoming rare and desirable.

Might as well enjoy our rides for a few more years.

I never thought that I would have a 24 year old daily driver. Yet it's still reliable and a decent ride.
I don't feel ashamed of my self when I drive it.
Old 11-20-2019, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by JvG

I never thought that I would have a 24 year old daily driver. Yet it's still reliable and a decent ride.
Hi JvG. I've been on this board a long time like you - joined in 1995 right after I got my new 5 spd. MT SE. Anyway, I've always wondered if our cars would ever reach collector status. Like you, I think the car still looks very stylish, yet still classically retro in its own way. In fact, I think we should start a poll as to who thinks our cars still look stylish and cool on the road today. Do you think it will not reach collector status purely because of the sheer number of them made? Unlike the competitor cars of its time like the Ford SHO, you don't see any of them left on the road.
Old 11-20-2019, 11:30 AM
JvG

Will92,

I live in Portland, Oregon. Our climate is wet a lot during the rainy season, between Halloween and Memorial Day. There is little snow. Road salt is not used much here. I still see many 4th generation Maximas. Also some 3rd generation ones.
There are also lots of 1990s Toyota Camrys driving around. I also see many Corollas, Sentras, and Altimas. It seems that the car companies did a good job with rust proofing. The cars are still being driven because they are mechanicly sound even after 200,000 miles.

You might want to look on Portland Craigslist to see what's available. Notice how many there still are.
Many still look good. Yet they are not worth much money.

The cars were mass produced in great numbers.
There does not seem to be much excitement about them any more.

Our cars are not worth much these days.. Many owners will face huge repair bills for the injectors or water pumps. Repair bills will exceed the cars value. The cars will be junked.

We appreciate how useful our cars still are.
While the general public wants something newer because they feel newer cars are more reliable.
Also they want to keep up with their friends.
It takes a special person to feel OK about driving 20 to 25 year old cars.

It seems that the styling is classic, and timeless. Our cars still don't look all that dated. Nor does the Camry of that age.

I had some cars in the past which have become collectable. I just used them up and either sold them or sent them to the wreking yard. A 1964 Dodge Dart wagon. 1973 Dodge Dart 2 door. 1968 Dodge Coronet 1974 Impala station wagon with electric clams shell tailgate. Friends had a 1969 Mustang, 1970 Chevy Nova, 1970 Plymouth Duster. 1968 Camero. Hindsight is 20/20.

I recall when Toyota and Datsun started selling cars in the 1960s. They seemed cheap and junky at the time. The Datsun 240z seemed cool. Who could have guessed that the 240z or the Datsun 510 would be valuable 50 years later?

What's your point of view regarding the future of our cars?

Last edited by JvG; 11-20-2019 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Additional comment added.
Old 11-20-2019, 01:46 PM
What does that mean?

Originally Posted by JvG
I agree with.what JSutter said.

These are all parts which might still be available now, but might become more rare and costly later on.

Might as well grab what you can now, while the parts are common and cheap at the wrecking yard.

Yep same here, I'm trying to give my max a '20 foot restoration' in time for its 25th birthday in May 2020, and maybe even a 10 foot one.

When I think of semi or actual luxury cars from the era I think the Acura Legends and Lexus LS's will become or are becoming collectible, but I can't really see the Camry/Accord/Maxima doing the same. The Maxima was better than the other two due to being more powerful, available 5 speed, and more luxurious, but 190 hp vs 160 hp doesn't mean much in today's world of 300 hp family sedans. I think the body design is rather bland which doesn't help it, although I really enjoy the interior of my GLE. I was just watching an 8 minute 2nd gen LS400 promo vid and they were touting some features that a 4th gen Max has so it definitely was 'semi-luxury'.

I see so many at the salvage yard and I wish I could save them all

Last edited by DizzyEdge; 11-20-2019 at 01:57 PM.
Old 11-20-2019, 01:47 PM
What does that mean?

Originally Posted by JSutter
Nothing really rare here, but if you see something in good shape grab it now while you can

OEM sensors, MAFS, coils, crank/cam, etc.

OEM drive shafts, alternator, starter; things that can get rebuilt.

Body parts in your color.

Interior wear items console lid, cup holder, floor mats, door panel, switches, etc.

A working power antenna.

I'd grab any aftermarket performance parts. I hate seeing that stuff crushed.
How can one identify if things like drive shafts and sensors are OEM, will the sensors have Nissan logos on them?
Old 11-20-2019, 01:48 PM
Schnell kaputt

For rare parts, look for a 1999 I30 Limited or the JDM Cefiro, otherwise I agree with what's been said so far. However, some parts are starting to get scarce for the 4G. Can't even find custom fit rubber floormats (ie: Weathertech) for these things anymore. Start hoarding dealer items like driveshafts (if you're lowered), OE radiator support brackets and the like.

But for junkyard finds, also look for:
- Rear license plate light metal bracket
- Auto-dimming rear view mirror (i30)
- Articulating front head rests (i30)

I will be posting a couple of 4G parts for sale soon, some "rare" so check the classifieds (sorry, shameless self-promotion ) since I noticed you're in Canada too
Old 11-20-2019, 03:32 PM

The only thing I could think of people wanting these again were If people who had these cars back in the early days and want to re-buy them as a second vehicle. I don't see them reaching any more than $10k for a proper built Maxima. Maybe $6-7k max with some nice mods/paint job/5-speed/new parts that is valuable to someone who had 4th gen's back then or for someone who want's to give it a try.

Also any of y'all following Dom_dub on Instagram? He's doing the restoration of Vince's Fast and Furious Maxima. The Actual Hero Maxima sold for $35-40k I believe not too long ago and sat in a Museum for around 8-9 years. It goes along with the Jetta, 240sx, Skyline, Eclipse, Supra, Honda S2000 and etc.

Though the Eclipse/Jetta, the car is not worth much itself, but when it's turned into a Hero's movie car, then the car's worth a lot more lol. The builds are not cheap that's for sure.. $15k-25k builds.

This can be the same to 240sx, If they need work, the car is not worth much, but when it's built right.. the price goes up. Though It won't be equal to the amount spent on the car. They take some sunk cost's when building the car. It's just the way it goes. But most car guys aren't in it to make money most of the time, It's for fun and a hobby they can enjoy with others.

Not many people knew about the 4th Gen Maxima until the individuals who made the movie started talking about it recently and posting videos of all heroes Fast and Furious cars. The Maxima was kind of shadowed and could be the reason why it's not desired as much.
The 4th gen has so much potential but at the same time, it's shadowed way too much. When people see a clean built one, they ask what car is that?

Also, some may have moved onto more cooler cars, and the Maxima now isn't as desired as it once was in its early days. Though there are people out there who can appreciate those who keep 4th gen Maxima's alive because they are underrated.

Last edited by JoshG; 11-20-2019 at 05:58 PM.
Old 11-20-2019, 05:45 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Originally Posted by DizzyEdge
How can one identify if things like drive shafts and sensors are OEM, will the sensors have Nissan logos on them?
Most sensors have OEM part numbers, Nissan logo or OE manufacture names (Tokico for example) written on them.

Original shafts have rubber dampers around the center of the shaft. New aftermarket units have uniform diameter shafts and no damper, at least my GSP is that way.
Old 11-20-2019, 06:20 PM

A few Datsun in the US have made it into cult following collectibles.

Datsun 510 Sedan
Datsun D21 Pickup
Datsun 240z
Nissan 300zx (z32)

I gauge how each generation Maxima will fare based on the previous gens. I'm not seeing any 1st, 2nd or 3rd gens make it to become a collectible. Just noticing cars that become cult classics are usually the ones that held their resale value better than comparable models without regard to the number of units sold. There are some cult classics that defy all common logic and reasoning.

Old 11-20-2019, 06:30 PM

Why would anyone stockpile extra MAF's?

I might also have some extra door switches (between door and body), climate controls, sunroof switch panels, security lights (IDK why), center console lids, and an assortment of OEM nuts and bolts. I also recently acquired a part I had long sought, a black fuel door in mint condition.

Name:  n17NfZOl.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  57.4 KB
Name:  B21dlGSl.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  38.7 KB
Old 11-20-2019, 06:38 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Originally Posted by JoshG
The only thing I could think of people wanting these again were If people who had these cars back in the early days and want to re-buy them as a second vehicle. I don't see them reaching any more than $10k for a proper built Maxima. Maybe $6-7k max with some nice mods/paint job/5-speed/new parts that is valuable to someone who had 4th gen's back then or for someone who want's to give it a try.

Also any of y'all following Dom_dub on Instagram? He's doing the restoration of Vince's Fast and Furious Maxima. The Actual Hero Maxima sold for $35-40k I believe not too long ago and sat in a Museum for around 8-9 years. It goes along with the Jetta, 240sx, Skyline, Eclipse, Supra, Honda S2000 and etc.

Though the Eclipse/Jetta, the car is not worth much itself, but when it's turned into a Hero's movie car, then the car's worth a lot more lol. The builds are not cheap that's for sure.. $15k-25k builds.

This can be the same to 240sx, If they need work, the car is not worth much, but when it's built right.. the price goes up. Though It won't be equal to the amount spent on the car. They take some sunk cost's when building the car. It's just the way it goes. But most car guys aren't in it to make money most of the time, It's for fun and a hobby they can enjoy with others.

Not many people knew about the 4th Gen Maxima until the individuals who made the movie started talking about it recently and posting videos of all heroes Fast and Furious cars. The Maxima was kind of shadowed and could be the reason why it's not desired as much.
The 4th gen has so much potential but at the same time, it's shadowed way too much. When people see a clean built one, they ask what car is that?

Also, some may have moved onto more cooler cars, and the Maxima now isn't as desired as it once was in its early days. Though there are people out there who can appreciate those who keep 4th gen Maxima's alive because they are underrated.
I've been around ever since my dad bought a 96 in 99. I bought my 98 in 04 and my current 99 in 18. 20 years of 4th gens. It's my summer car, not going to drive it in the snow. I hope to keep it forever I guess?! I've done so much to it there's no way I could sell it for what the parts are worth. Hell, it was only $999 to begin with!

As for if they become collectible? I do think it's possible. Bring a trailer has all sorts of 80-90's cars selling for good money. Usually the cars have low miles or something, IE 30k mile 99 Pathfinder for $15k. Many have moved on feeling the 4th gen has plateaued. The 5.5 gen has a cult like following, newer VQ35 "HR" swaps are in right now. 300+ whp is easy these days.

I just checked dom dubs posts. I think hes screwed to be honest. He wants a clone car but he started with the wrong year. The real car is a 99 cali spec, he bought a 97. Granted 99% of people would not know the difference. He's starting to see differences and he seems to be stressed already. I feel his pain. my old 98 and 99 are very different, but it will not stop me from doing some rarely completed conversions.
Old 11-20-2019, 06:44 PM
What does that mean?

Originally Posted by JSutter
Most sensors have OEM part numbers, Nissan logo or OE manufacture names (Tokico for example) written on them.

Original shafts have rubber dampers around the center of the shaft. New aftermarket units have uniform diameter shafts and no damper, at least my GSP is that way.
I'm curious if the new OEM shafts have the dampers, I was watching a youtube vid the other day and an old civic or accord had a drive shaft broken in half because the middle rubber damper had collected water and slowly rusted the shaft.
Old 11-20-2019, 06:58 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

Yeah, it happens.

Old 11-21-2019, 02:15 AM

I've got enough parts to refresh another 4th gen including a parts car that I can't seem to part with.
Old 11-21-2019, 08:46 AM
What does that mean?

I just realized I have an answer to my own question: non-rusty fenders, rocker panels and quarter panels!!

I've been noticing something about old car pricing as well. I did an analysis on what cars were at the local Pick N Pulls and prices on various site and noticed a trend:

1) Most cars don't show up very often until they are 14 yrs old
2) Most cars stop showing up as often after 21 years old as most have been crushed already
3) Car prices tend to level out and possibly start to go up in the 25-30 yr mark

As an example when a 1984 Toyota Celica was 15 yrs old I was seeing them for $1000-2000 in good condition. Now that they are 35 yrs old they are going for thousands. So if Max's were to increase I would expect it to happen in the next 5 yrs or not ever.

Last edited by DizzyEdge; 11-21-2019 at 10:43 AM.
Old 11-24-2019, 12:57 PM

found a 97 Max with some Stillen parts installed at a Junkyard. It was a shame I didn't grab anything for my I30. It also had some kind of body kit. It was most likely owned by a .org member at one time due to some stickers on the windows. It was in a nasty wreck by the looks of it.
Old 11-24-2019, 03:32 PM

Yep parts are still easy to come by with these cars. By February my GLE will be 25 years old still running the original cv joints, alternator , coils, maf, water pump. No rust, favorite part A/C has never been serviced and still kicking cold air. No leaks, so many original parts still good cept those tie rods. Though i might need a new motor for drivers seat as its getting pretty slow. Very cheap insurance and i dont drive far so gas isnt a problem either. Gonna drive her until that water pumo starts making some noise.
Old 11-27-2019, 05:03 PM

its amazing how many parts are still avail at the dealer.
I grabbed the 2 rubber molded autotrans cooler hoses that go to the radiator the other day .that's the last bit of rubber I needed to change on my Jan 95 built max.
as all other rubber hoses are less than 5 years old now. all brake/vacuum/coolant/fuel rubber items are basically new now.
hard to believe I drove it off the lot almost 25 years ago now.