4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Won't rev over 2500 rpm

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2019, 08:46 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Won't rev over 2500 rpm

I have a 95 nissan maxima gxe. It shut off the other day during driving and wouldn't restart. Got it towed home and got it to start with starting fluid. My mechanic buddy figured the fuel pump must have gone out. Replacedthe fuel pump but didn't have any spark now. We replaced the side crankshaft sensor and the car started, ran good for about 1 minute then shut off. Then would not start again. We replaced the front crankshaft sensor, nothing. Car would not start just turn over. Disconnected all factory and aftermarket alarm stuff still no starting. Checked all fuses and swapped relays around, still nothing. Went and got a used computer yesterday and installed it and the car fired right up no check engine or anything. I didn't rev the car at all yesterday and wish I had because today after I reinstalled the bottom of the back seat, reattached the panel under the steering wheel and remounted the computer to the floor. The car starts, check engine is on and it won't rev over 2500 rpms. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-25-2019, 11:54 AM

Check your camshaft position sensors too.

You mention that you got a used computer for it? Does everything on the new computer match your current vehicle? If you have no check engine lights then I assume it does... I'm not sure what steps needed to be taken to reprogram a computer for a 95.

If your car is a mid 1995 then an OBDII port had been installed in it, if not... But depending on when it was manufactured it might be useful for you to get an ECU scanner that can give you some of the sensor data and help you determine what's going wrong:

Amazon Amazon

I picked that up on Amazon a couple weeks ago; cost about $35. It's clunky and slow but it works. If you have an earlier 95 then you have OBDI and I'm not sure what tools are out there. The other guys on here might be able to help regarding that. Good luck!
Old 08-25-2019, 05:07 PM

Check your mass air flow sensor.
Old 08-26-2019, 09:19 AM

+1 with Jack.

MAF sensor is usually the culprit when you can't rev past 2500 RPM. Make sure it's plugged in and not damaged.

Check engine light is on, so you should be able to pull a code.
Old 08-26-2019, 05:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Back in action

Thank you guys so much for the help. New/used computer works great so far. Drove the car around today and no issues whatsoever. Turns out mass air flow sensor was not plugged in all the way. Amazing how having that connected makes the car run/idle right lol. Thanks again for the help.
Old 08-27-2019, 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by Shrout1
Check your camshaft position sensors too.

You mention that you got a used computer for it? Does everything on the new computer match your current vehicle? If you have no check engine lights then I assume it does... I'm not sure what steps needed to be taken to reprogram a computer for a 95.

If your car is a mid 1995 then an OBDII port had been installed in it, if not... But depending on when it was manufactured it might be useful for you to get an ECU scanner that can give you some of the sensor data and help you determine what's going wrong:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01G5EA74I

I picked that up on Amazon a couple weeks ago; cost about $35. It's clunky and slow but it works. If you have an earlier 95 then you have OBDI and I'm not sure what tools are out there. The other guys on here might be able to help regarding that. Good luck!
All 1995 maximas and later including those built in 1994 had OBDII Connectors and systems installed at the factory. there are no 95 and later maximas without OBDII