4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

my exhaust pops under decel, is this normal?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 10:07 PM

my exhaust pops under decel, is this normal?

So as of late my car as been sounding a little different, and acting a little different, I'm gonna list all the work I've done up until the point where I start to notice all of these things, and by these I mean 2 things

1 Short Ram Intake
2 A3 Deep Tone Racing Muffler
3 Fuel Filter
4 SeaFoam
5 Changed Both Valve Cover Gaskets

That's pretty much it, so these are what I've come to notice with my can.

1 When I'm on the highway going about 50 and above I'd say because I've never really test this... when I let up off the gas I can hear the Muffler making a rumbling sound, or a popping sound if I may it's not that loud, but without music playing I can hear it clearly until the car slows down.

2 when ever I am on the highway driving, or anywhere for that matter if I'm going fast an I let up off the gas I can feel the car rank back, but most of the time I'm not going fast I could be driving at a high speed then let up off the gas then I would feel the car drop back a little not hard, but I can feel it
Old 03-28-2014, 12:01 AM

Both normal.
Old 03-28-2014, 05:17 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Unless your a 5 speed, put the stock intake back in the car.
Please be more descriptive with thread titles.
Your welcome.
Old 03-28-2014, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
Your welcome.
Who is this guy to tell me what to put on my car... if I left something out on my post then ask for the information if you wish to answer the question, but don't jump into the conversation as if it was pointed at you, that was rude, and you should have more respect.
Old 03-28-2014, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by LuminousX
Who is this guy to tell me what to put on my car... if I left something out on my post then ask for the information if you wish to answer the question, but don't jump into the conversation as if it was pointed at you, that was rude, and you should have more respect.
1st is normal my car does it to i have megan racing catback and short ram intake i love the pops when i let off the gas haha has to be my favorite part of my exhaust as for the second thing doesnt sound like an issue.. I have a short ram and ive noticed nothing but a mean roar and a little better on performance mabey be a little more descriptive of the second thing
Old 03-28-2014, 06:40 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You just dissed a guy who could have given you very valuable advice lol.
Old 03-28-2014, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by dwapenyi
You just dissed a guy who could have given you very valuable advice lol.
Agreed he is very helpful on every single thread that i post... Haha has helped me with numerous issues. Wouldnt doubt someone that knows what there talking about
Old 03-28-2014, 07:07 AM

Also man no one is tryin to tell u what u can and cant do .. Its your car do as u please, were all just trying to give our input to help u out man, hes just giving his advice on how to help out ur problem. I mean u posted to get feedback to help. The 4th gen forum has some people that really know there stuff
Old 03-28-2014, 07:26 AM

It wasn't a help me topic, I just wanted to know if it was a normal thing, I don't have a check engine light, and I knew one of them as to be the cause, asking for help is me being lazy, I could simply undo what I did if that was the case, didn't mean to hurt anyone's feelings, but some of these guys have a thing for being a **** when it comes to helping others, they'll more likely insult your intelligence, before they take a crack at the question or help someone
Old 03-28-2014, 08:52 AM

Don't just put question in the title. Put a little more into it like "my car (or exhaust) pops under decel, is this normal, please help quick question" and the reason he said to put the stock intake back on if you're auto is because of previous tests people have done and found what works "best". I just put on an aem dy-flo cone filter on an aluminum maf adapter and a warpspeed fed spec y-pipe with magnaflow hi-flo cat and apexi world speed cat-back with additional resonator and it pops too. I usually have it in neutral though because the car is old ('97se 5spd daily driver) and I'm still fixing things so I don't want to stress it anymore than I have to, I save that for when I want to rip it. But last night I was dropping off a friend and when I crawled to stop in second I believe it was, it poped and gargled, so nice!

Last edited by Quickywd01; 03-28-2014 at 08:54 AM.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:24 AM

You might consider checking that your EGR tube isn't plugged up.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:25 AM

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...e-contest.html
Old 03-28-2014, 11:22 AM

Title says question, post contains no question.
Old 03-28-2014, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by darkside_supaman
Title says question, post contains no question.
Why are we doing kinda crap?

Wouldn't it be easier and take less time and spend less adrenalin to just ignore the thread (if you've got a problem) and any perceived errors and omissions than to reply with a rant?
Old 03-28-2014, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Turbobink

Wouldn't it be easier and take less time and spend less adrenalin to just ignore the thread (if you've got a problem) and any perceived errors and omissions than to reply with a rant?
You could, but then you would lose any possible entertainment value.
Old 03-28-2014, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
You might consider checking that your EGR tube isn't plugged up.
Cleaned when I did my resr valve cover gasket
Old 03-28-2014, 02:44 PM
Administrator

Your welcome.
+1
Dude, chill. No one is telling you anything. It's his recommendation, and a good one. Especially since he's been around the Org a long time like myself and knows what works and what doesn't on these cars.

Originally Posted by schmellyfart
+1. You stole my line.

Please be more descriptive with your thread title next time. Think of it this way. If every thread was titled "question" or something lame or vague, when someone did a search, they would have to sift through a hell of lot more threads to find the answer than if the thread title was more descriptive. Who knows, maybe someone will have the same or similar question as you some day!

You can probably see a pattern, that the users who care and who have been on here a while, usually have very clear thread titles. That's one of the reasons why I make my thread titles so descriptive. I'm hoping to help out the next guy using the search function, and not be selfish and just worry about getting my question answered at the moment. Pay it forward people!
Old 03-28-2014, 03:40 PM

backfire

is back fire normal when idleing ?? didnt notice until today when my exhuast fell off
Old 03-28-2014, 04:06 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

why?? please

better performance o what?

Last edited by willymk1; 03-28-2014 at 04:47 PM.
Old 03-28-2014, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by willymk1
why?? please

My car sounds and drives better so ima leave it on, the only thing I notice is I use more gas but that could be due to my new fuel filter that's allowing more gas to flow or my new racing muffler, but I don't have a problem buying gas, I want my car to sound, drive and look how I want it to, gas mileage isn't gonna change that

Last edited by LuminousX; 03-28-2014 at 05:04 PM.
Old 03-28-2014, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Turbobink

Kind of ironic to post a rant asking bashing rants haha, but I made a statement because we don't know his question. He got a reply and came back with an angry comment, but he had no question in the original post so the reply he got was what njmaxseltd assumed was the question he wanted to ask.

Last edited by darkside_supaman; 03-28-2014 at 05:20 PM.
Old 03-29-2014, 06:04 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

put the stock intake back in
Originally Posted by willymk1
why?? please

It's well documented on here that auto's don't respond well to short rams and cones. They do OK with a true cold air setup. Place Racing was a favorite. The reason is the 5 speed revs higher, pumps more air through the motor.

The auto keeps the RPM's down low, and for whatever "true" reason cone intakes under the hood (also know as HAI or hot air intake) seem to bog the VQ under normal driving conditions. (Lower RPM's less air flow through the motor)

The facts are simple and well documented on here. The stock intake gives the auto the snappiest throttle response. The cones do nothing more then make noise and reduce the fun loving VQs throttle response.
Old 03-29-2014, 07:25 AM

It's well documented on here that auto's don't respond well to short rams and cones. They do OK with a true cold air setup. Place Racing was a favorite. The reason is the 5 speed revs higher, pumps more air through the motor.

The auto keeps the RPM's down low, and for whatever "true" reason cone intakes under the hood (also know as HAI or hot air intake) seem to bog the VQ under normal driving conditions. (Lower RPM's less air flow through the motor)

The facts are simple and well documented on here. The stock intake gives the auto the snappiest throttle response. The cones do nothing more then make noise and reduce the fun loving VQs throttle response.
My car response very well, and even better when I changed that clogged up fuel filter a few weeks ago, I wonder how my engine would get fuel as fast as I wanted it to if gas was playing stop an go thew the filter, now my fuel flows so, and my muffler adds to that to make it perfect
Old 03-29-2014, 12:43 PM

My car response very well, and even better when I changed that clogged up fuel filter a few weeks ago, I wonder how my engine would get fuel as fast as I wanted it to if gas was playing stop an go thew the filter, now my fuel flows so, and my muffler adds to that to make it perfect
Old 03-29-2014, 06:24 PM

Without a cat yes it'll do that....
Old 03-29-2014, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by CMax03
Without a cat yes it'll do that....
That's just ironic..
Old 03-29-2014, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Fakie J Farkerton
That's just ironic..
What am I missing here?
Old 03-29-2014, 09:16 PM

What am I missing here?
If I have to explain it's not funny. Lol
But..dog/cat..get it?
Old 03-29-2014, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Fakie J Farkerton
If I have to explain it's not funny. Lol
But..dog/cat..get it?
Name:  mmnkQL6.gif
Views: 6
Size:  30.8 KB
Old 03-29-2014, 09:37 PM

/thread schmelly wins!
Old 03-29-2014, 10:12 PM

Name:  1IUZmsc.gif
Views: 6
Size:  494.5 KB
Old 03-30-2014, 02:55 PM
Administrator

Old 03-30-2014, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Patm-a32
Also man no one is tryin to tell u what u can and cant do .. Its your car do as u please, were all just trying to give our input to help u out man, hes just giving his advice on how to help out ur problem. I mean u posted to get feedback to help. The 4th gen forum has some people that really know there stuff
Old 04-03-2014, 07:06 PM

Hmm...it has been said the stock intake is good
But I have a true cai place racing brand and a y pipe and she seems to do pretty damn good.
Old 04-05-2014, 05:56 AM

Cold air is denser with more oxygen content= more torque. Cones draw hot air off the engine and you lose power. The stock intake IS a CAI and works better than all current "CAI" setups.

Stock intake is narrower with higher velocity and this also makes more torque than a large bore HAI at stock rpm levels.

Your butt dyno and perception is not equal to dyno runs already done to prove this very topic.

If you are backfiring on decel you are too lean, probably a vacuum leak resulting from the vc gasket job.

/fail thread.

Last edited by asand1; 04-05-2014 at 06:04 AM.
Old 04-05-2014, 01:49 PM

Well it doesn't help that the duct is sitting on top of the radiator.
Old 04-05-2014, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by asand1
Cold air is denser with more oxygen content= more torque. Cones draw hot air off the engine and you lose power. The stock intake IS a CAI and works better than all current "CAI" setups.

Stock intake is narrower with higher velocity and this also makes more torque than a large bore HAI at stock rpm levels.

Your butt dyno and perception is not equal to dyno runs already done to prove this very topic.

If you are backfiring on decel you are too lean, probably a vacuum leak resulting from the vc gasket job.

/fail thread.
I did indeed thought it was a vacuum leak, but I ran over the lines a ton of times, I don't see a leak, and made sure everything was on tight
Old 04-05-2014, 02:54 PM

Did you use a new plenum gasket? Spray carb cleaner around the top of the engine while running and you might notice a change in rpm.
Old 04-05-2014, 03:42 PM

I always rub my hand along the line of the gasket close to the firewall (yeah my hand fits) I wiped it clean before after I did the Change of Gaskets, Then I'm always checking it for oil leak, nothing comes up, and i can pretty much see around the rest of it, I just recheck all the hose, and nothing... everything is on, No I didn't use a new plenum gasket because I didn't think I need one, Ill have to check that out next...