4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Spark plug help?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 12:05 AM

Spark plug help?

I just wanted to do a tune up on my max, and just wanted to know what type of spark plugs should i get? and from where should i buy them?
Old 03-31-2013, 12:30 AM
Schnell kaputt

Since this is your first post...

Go ONLY with NGK V-Power, either Platinums (PFR5G-11) or Coppers (BKR5E-11). I kept getting misfires on one cylinder, annoying hesitation, hard starting and power loss until I figured out it was the plugs all along, Bosch Platinums. Replaced them with Coppers and all is well. Gap them to .044.

RockAuto, eBay?
Old 03-31-2013, 06:27 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

^ what he said. I just changed mine yesterday and I got them from Auto Zone.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:15 AM

want to change mine tomorrow so i caled autozone to see if they have the v power in stock, they say there's no v power plugs for a 97 maxima?
they say they have laser iridium and regular plugs

checked online at advance auto and they have them....dont know autozone said their no such plud for maxima

Last edited by blacka69; 03-31-2013 at 07:25 AM.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by blacka69
want to change mine tomorrow so i caled autozone to see if they have the v power in stock, they say there's no v power plugs for a 97 maxima?
they say they have laser iridium and regular plugs

checked online at advance auto and they have them....dont know autozone said their no such plud for maxima
I work at Autozone and can say without a doubt that they have them (perhaps not in stock however). Have them cross-reference BKR5E-11 (or just tell them you want 6 NGK 6953's -- stock #) and they will come up without a doubt. If they just don't have them in stock you could have them order them from the hub store early one day and they should have them same day.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Bonka
Since this is your first post...

Go ONLY with NGK V-Power, either Platinums (PFR5G-11) or Coppers (BKR5E-11). I kept getting misfires on one cylinder, annoying hesitation, hard starting and power loss until I figured out it was the plugs all along, Bosch Platinums. Replaced them with Coppers and all is well. Gap them to .044.

RockAuto, eBay?
What do you mean by "gap them to .044?" sorry, as you can see this really is my first post lmao
Old 03-31-2013, 11:04 AM

nvm i know now what you meant my bad.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:44 AM

Just pulled out my plugs yesterday. Was surprised that they were NGK, seeing as the previous owner didn't take care of the car at all.
Old 03-31-2013, 01:24 PM

^ just picked some up and about to put em in but same here, last owner wasnt too fond of this car i can see but thats okay im fixin her up
Old 03-31-2013, 02:35 PM

okay so i have 2 more questions. One, how important is gapping the correct distance ".044" on the spark plugs? I think i gapped them correctly using autozones coin gapping tool but it just doesnt really seem like it honestly made that much of a difference. And two, does it matter if i change the front three spark plugs but not the back? i have already put everything back together but just in case i may have to run small errands soon so is it imperative that i change the back three too or what?
Old 03-31-2013, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by BenL
I work at Autozone and can say without a doubt that they have them (perhaps not in stock however). Have them cross-reference BKR5E-11 (or just tell them you want 6 NGK 6953's -- stock #) and they will come up without a doubt. If they just don't have them in stock you could have them order them from the hub store early one day and they should have them same day.
ok cool will do that autozone .. thanks
Old 03-31-2013, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by BenL
ok cool will do that .. thanks
Old 03-31-2013, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Borker
okay so i have 2 more questions. One, how important is gapping the correct distance ".044" on the spark plugs? I think i gapped them correctly using autozones coin gapping tool but it just doesnt really seem like it honestly made that much of a difference. And two, does it matter if i change the front three spark plugs but not the back? i have already put everything back together but just in case i may have to run small errands soon so is it imperative that i change the back three too or what?
You want to have the spark plugs gapped as close to specification as you can. The gap size has been calculated to give the biggest spark under the most severe operating conditions. Going larger or smaller could reduce performance. Having all the spark plugs the same will allow all the cylinders to perform equally.

You don't have to replace all 6 plugs at the same time. If you need to drive the car before you can get them all changed, that's ok. Just don't forget about finishing the job.
Old 03-31-2013, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
You want to have the spark plugs gapped as close to specification as you can. The gap size has been calculated to give the biggest spark under the most severe operating conditions. Going larger or smaller could reduce performance. Having all the spark plugs the same will allow all the cylinders to perform equally.

You don't have to replace all 6 plugs at the same time. If you need to drive the car before you can get them all changed, that's ok. Just don't forget about finishing the job.
okay sweet thanks for the advice man, ill try and make sure they're all equal
Old 03-31-2013, 05:50 PM

awell I'e changed the first three (front) but the first to the left in the back three wont come out? idk if its stuck or something?
Old 03-31-2013, 07:01 PM

Don't, in any means, try to force it. If you strip that hole out, or break the plug in there you will hate yourself.....forever.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:12 PM

well i just got the second coil off the middle back row of spark plugs and its the same as the left one, it doesnt seem to budge. i havent forced them in anyway for them to be like that. It seems like the same socket i used for the fronts wont grab on to the back or something like it turns both ways but doesnt seem to grip. Its not that it wont loosen up because theyre too tight, but more as them not getting any grip at all. ive seen countless videos saying they use the same method as front.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:51 PM

another good thing to do is to crack the plugs loose and then start up thee engine and give it a good rev. If you dont you can pull carbon deposits up through the threads and eff them up. NGK Coppers FTW if you dont mind keeping up with maintenance as they perform better and are cheaper
Old 03-31-2013, 08:59 PM

What's up with all these AZ lovers? Orielly carries NGK copper, Platnium, Iridium.....Bosch doesn't work in Japanese vehicles nor in force inducted vehicles.....I'm running E3's in my 98 Maxima and They're doing really good!
Old 03-31-2013, 09:15 PM

I have heard good things about e3's but alas coppers are still cheaper. O'Reilly's FTW because they always have maxima parts in stock
Old 03-31-2013, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by CMax03
Bosch doesn't work in Japanese vehicles nor in force inducted vehicles
Some VW come stock with a turbo and Bosch plats.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:22 AM

well i just got the second coil off the middle back row of spark plugs and its the same as the left one, it doesnt seem to budge. i havent forced them in anyway for them to be like that. It seems like the same socket i used for the fronts wont grab on to the back or something like it turns both ways but doesnt seem to grip. Its not that it wont loosen up because theyre too tight, but more as them not getting any grip at all. ive seen countless videos saying they use the same method as front.
The same socket works because it is the same spark plug if all cylinders. What may have happened to you is that the boot that fits over the end of the spark plug may have come off the coil. This does happen and when it does, it keeps the socket from sliding all the way down onto the plug.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:51 AM

The same socket works because it is the same spark plug if all cylinders. What may have happened to you is that the boot that fits over the end of the spark plug may have come off the coil. This does happen and when it does, it keeps the socket from sliding all the way down onto the plug.
yes im aware its the same for all cylinders im just confused as to why its not catching on the spark plug? the boots are perfectly fine for both, but it appears as if there is some metal ring stopping my socket from going down far enough to grab hole of the spark plugs inside of both of the holes (I shined a flashlight down the holes.)
Old 04-01-2013, 05:08 PM

heres a pic. There is a ring above the end of the spark plug what is it?
Attached Thumbnails Spark plug help?-2013-04-01-18.53.54.jpg  
Old 04-01-2013, 06:30 PM

Two things - it looks like the spark plug tube is not seated in the valve cover but I don't think that is preventing you from getting the socket on the plug.

It looks like something got dropped over the plug's porcelain tower that is wider than the metal hex base of the plug. I can't tell what it might be.

Can you touch it with a long, thin screwdriver and see if it moves freely? Maybe by using 2 long, narrow hooks you could lift it off?
Old 04-01-2013, 09:15 PM

Two things - it looks like the spark plug tube is not seated in the valve cover but I don't think that is preventing you from getting the socket on the plug.

It looks like something got dropped over the plug's porcelain tower that is wider than the metal hex base of the plug. I can't tell what it might be.

Can you touch it with a long, thin screwdriver and see if it moves freely? Maybe by using 2 long, narrow hooks you could lift it off?
You were right from the start. The boot did in fact come off of the end of the coil so I just rigged a long thin rod with a curved nail elecrical taped to it tightly and pulled it out and put it back on the coil. So I did the same thing with cylinder 5. The boot wasn't off cylinder 6 but oh boy did I have such a hard time getting to the spark plug. So everythings put together and I started up the car and it seemed to shake a little bit at first so I let it run for maybe 2 more minutes and shut it off. Btw I know it would most likely be good to change the 2 coils that had their boots come off but they appeared undamaged so I just slipped them back on and fastened them in again, is it bad that I did this? Or does the boot not really matter, just as long as its properly fitted over the coil again? It seemed pretty well off.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:33 PM

[QUOTE=CMax03;8761403]What's up with all these AZ lovers? Orielly carries NGK copper, Platnium, Iridium.....\

No O'reilleys locally in this part of NY...Autozone-Advance-and PepBoys basically
Old 04-02-2013, 12:49 PM

You probably should replace those coil stems - yes, they are replaceable.

They are called coil boots or spark plug boots. Cylinders 1, 3, 5 use a longer one than cylinders 2, 4, 6.

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Re...0090%2b2090038

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...762&cc=1211443
Old 04-02-2013, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by BlackThornDemon
Some VW come stock with a turbo and Bosch plats.
German Shi+ plus Shi+ seems to work...I've tried them in a supercharged Bonneville and they ran worst than the plugs we were replacing....I also ran them in my 74 Toyota Celica and my car didn't ran worth a shi+.....try them you might like "em"
Old 04-02-2013, 06:44 PM

Advance Auto Parts carries NGK spark plugs. They stock both V-power (2.09 each) and OEM style Laser Platinum (9.99 each) for our Maxima.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:36 PM

well i just simply pulled out thhe spark plugs, reinserted them and gave them a nice snug fit back in the engine and everything seems to be running up to par.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:49 PM

well i just simply pulled out thhe spark plugs, reinserted them and gave them a nice snug fit back in the engine and everything seems to be running up to par.
Oh, so you didn't take anyone's advice.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:10 AM

Replacing all 6 wires and coil packs myself, the former online book seller named after a river sells all 6 for $94, which is much less than the local parts stores. NGK Irridium plugs work great too.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:30 PM

This thread is fail.

Sure...make sure to change out your spark plug wires and your coilpacks.
Old 06-24-2013, 04:40 AM

I just ordered my spark plugs last night, gonna get it done once they arrive. I would recommend the NGK Iridium plugs, best bang for the money they work really great and definitely a big improvement over OEM plugs.
My boy just bought a new 02 Maxima 6MT that needs lots of luv (still had original OEM plugs, just like mine), so we went with the NGK Iridium and the car runs awesome.

BUT, DON'T EVER go to AutoZone or Advanced or NAPA or any of these places to buy them (that's for any plug, not just the expensive ones), it's gonna cost you like $13 a piece. Go online and look, you can find the NGK Iridiums for like $10/pc some places.
And if you know anyone that owns a repair shop and has a parts account at the local supplier, give that person a call. I ordered my plugs @ $8 a piece from my dads friend (owns auto repair shop) and regular price is $13, saving myself a whole damn $30 on 6 plugs! BTW, I got the plugs from the same supplier that AutoZone and Advanced use @ their price. And they were gonna rip me off!

Also, it's not a good idea to use any Bosch plugs on the Maxima, or any platinum tipped plugs for that matter. You want either Nissan OEM or NGK plugs. Also, MAKE SURE that you gap them properly (it's very important) to .044 as well as torque them properly (NEVER over-tighten) to I believe it should be 19-21 lb-ft (FSM).

And lastly, before installing new plugs -- make sure you look in the holes and clean off any carbon deposits (especially anywhere around the threads and the very bottom where the plug sits) because if you leave it there it can cause your plugs to sit improperly and will misfire.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:31 AM

^^^ NGK platinum is fine to use.

I believe that's what comes with the car originally.

The laser iridiums are a step colder.

No more fail please.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:39 AM

There are many types of "platinum" plugs. The NGK platinums that you refer to are the LASER PLATINUMS, while the "platinum tipped" are just a regular plug with a platinum tip (g power NGK for example)

I when someone recommends iridiums in a car that is almost a decade old and mostly stock...no real need for them, iridiums are for boosted / FI / extremely high compression engines.

NGK Laser Platinums are OEM for our cars.

And if you "gap" anything but copper plugs yourself using that cheap gapper tool you're likely to damge the electrode. Plats (and yes, iridiums too) can't be gapped that way easily.

Last edited by Amerikaner83; 06-24-2013 at 07:42 AM.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:56 AM
KH3 by popular demand

Yes this thread is laughable. You do all that work and reinsert used plugs.. Don't buy plugs at autoparts stores? Lol. Bosch plugs are garbage, the tops of them can unscrew easily and they are non-magnetic. If for some strange reason it unscrews and falls in the chamber when you remove the spark plug..well good luck with that. I ran bosch plugs in my turbo, they spark, but it is a poorly engineered plug, at least the ones I had anyway. If you are not under the hood much then get iridiums, if you tinker quite a bit get ngk coppers. They are cheap, about $12 for the set, good, and I change mine every couple years.