4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

auto lsd tranny swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 06:51 PM

auto lsd tranny swap

i wanted to hear from somebody thats either done this or is very knowledgable about the subject. i have 98 se and im going to get a lsd auto trans (i30t or 2k1 ae lsd) i know i need to get a new drivers side halfaxle. however my question is do i have to change any of the wiring to the transmission or is it simply plug and play

Last edited by 98seW/DaBUMP; 03-18-2013 at 08:37 PM.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:36 PM

They will all match up, and mmmm I work at an auto parts store and am planning on doing the lsd auto too and the axle is the same for lsd and non lsd ;-)
Old 03-18-2013, 08:40 PM

what does lsd stand for again?
Old 03-18-2013, 09:03 PM

limited slip differential.
the solenoids do need to be wired and the trans range switch needs to be modified to work properly. it is NOT plug and play. the axles bolt fight up with no issues. you can use your 4th gens. take it from someone who has a 01 I30 trans.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by maxed_out_99
limited slip differential.
the solenoids do need to be wired and the trans range switch needs to be modified to work properly. it is NOT plug and play. the axles bolt fight up with no issues. you can use your 4th gens. take it from someone who has a 01 I30 trans.
Any more info on the swap? Got an AE LSD tranny myself but haven't swapped it yet.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:21 AM
LandShark has Cosworth

Originally Posted by milo2223
They will all match up, and mmmm I work at an auto parts store and am planning on doing the lsd auto too and the axle is the same for lsd and non lsd ;-)
Wrong - the driver's side is different - two sets of splines on the LSD axle. Although the solenoids are electrically identical, the wiring harness on the 95-99 harness must be extended to reach the (different) connector on the 2000-2001 tranny, and the selector switch from the 95-99 must be installed on the 2000-2001 tranny. If you do this, get the harness pigtail for the 2000-2001 tranny with the transmission and a driver's side vlsd axle... A better solution is to search for a 95-99 Infiniti i30t VLSD (viscious limited slip differential) transmission, and then you just need the driver's side axle.

Been there - done that.

Last edited by grey99max; 03-20-2013 at 07:30 AM.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:08 PM

thanks for the help

Originally Posted by grey99max
Wrong - the driver's side is different - two sets of splines on the LSD axle. Although the solenoids are electrically identical, the wiring harness on the 95-99 harness must be extended to reach the (different) connector on the 2000-2001 tranny, and the selector switch from the 95-99 must be installed on the 2000-2001 tranny. If you do this, get the harness pigtail for the 2000-2001 tranny with the transmission and a driver's side vlsd axle... A better solution is to search for a 95-99 Infiniti i30t VLSD (viscious limited slip differential) transmission, and then you just need the driver's side axle.

Been there - done that.
i am just gonna get the infiniti one. thank you for your advice its cheaper to do it that way too. I'm glad im getting into my 4th gen now prices for mods have been generally low, im putting on fresh control arms inner and out tie rods and sway arm endlinks this weekend and have been researching my next mod.

i've heard its a pretty simple job to remove and put the new one in. how long did it take you to put the infiniti vlsd in?

Last edited by 98seW/DaBUMP; 03-20-2013 at 01:11 PM.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:13 PM

why dont u guys just get a transgo shift kit? just throwin that out there.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:31 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally Posted by theblackone3.5
Because it doesn't improve traction and grip like the LSD.
Two different animals.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:35 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

Originally Posted by theblackone3.5
That just makes a regular transmission shift a little harder. Doesn't make it into a limited-slip differential and doesn't make the transmission any stronger. It all depends on what you want out of the project.

Considering what the OP said, I think a low-mileage 95-99 Infiniti i30t VLSD tranny with the vlsd driver's axle and a transgo shift kit would be sweet on a mostly-stock 3.5. I did a modified valve body to one vlsd tranny and it shifted much sweeter. Of course it blew up, too. Stock 4ATs don't handle much extra HP. Use at least a synthetic oil in the tranny - Mobil1, Lucas, RedLine Racing, or Amsoil Racing all are good. I use Amsoil in my drag car. An external oil cooler is something else to consider.

I don't remember what all was involved in changing a tranny - pulling the brake calipers, pulling both axles, draining the tranny and cooler, disconnecting the hoses and wiring plugs, getting the bolts loose from the torque converter through a cover, then using a transmission jack to lower the transmission as you remove first the starter and then the transmission mount and engine bolts. Not as simple as it sounds...
Old 03-20-2013, 01:39 PM

well, i have a transgo HD-2 shift in my 96 max with the nwp torque link brace and a tranny cooler, it does shift crisp and a little hard. Is there any things else to get rid of the harshness?
Old 03-20-2013, 04:36 PM

That just makes a regular transmission shift a little harder. Doesn't make it into a limited-slip differential and doesn't make the transmission any stronger. It all depends on what you want out of the project.

Considering what the OP said, I think a low-mileage 95-99 Infiniti i30t VLSD tranny with the vlsd driver's axle and a transgo shift kit would be sweet on a mostly-stock 3.5. I did a modified valve body to one vlsd tranny and it shifted much sweeter. Of course it blew up, too. Stock 4ATs don't handle much extra HP. Use at least a synthetic oil in the tranny - Mobil1, Lucas, RedLine Racing, or Amsoil Racing all are good. I use Amsoil in my drag car. An external oil cooler is something else to consider.

I don't remember what all was involved in changing a tranny - pulling the brake calipers, pulling both axles, draining the tranny and cooler, disconnecting the hoses and wiring plugs, getting the bolts loose from the torque converter through a cover, then using a transmission jack to lower the transmission as you remove first the starter and then the transmission mount and engine bolts. Not as simple as it sounds...
i practically have a pit crew so getting it done isn't a problem I just need to get my parts together and get some time. i plan on converting to a synthetic tranny oil in the process found a new i30t transmission for $350 SHIPPED i hope no one buys it while i get some money together how much did the drivers side axle set you back? i have also seen some posts about how some people have had fitment issues w the pass axle as well? i figure its just trolls talkin there talk because i'm sure all these axles have the same length as they are on the same chassis
Old 03-20-2013, 06:47 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

Originally Posted by 98seW/DaBUMP
i practically have a pit crew so getting it done isn't a problem I just need to get my parts together and get some time. i plan on converting to a synthetic tranny oil in the process found a new i30t transmission for $350 SHIPPED i hope no one buys it while i get some money together how much did the drivers side axle set you back? i have also seen some posts about how some people have had fitment issues w the pass axle as well? i figure its just trolls talkin there talk because i'm sure all these axles have the same length as they are on the same chassis
Be sure the i30t tranny is a RE4F04V if you want 95-99 VLSD. Without VLSD, both your present axles will work- otherwise you'll need the Infiniti driver's side axle. You can tell a VLSD tranny if you can look through both axles holes (without the axles) and see daylight. If it's a conventional tranny, there is a shaft across the hole.

Text from car-part.com:

"1998
Transmission
Infiniti I30 10-97,3.0,F-AT,RE4F04V LOCKER"

I don't know prices of axles, but I would try to buy the one from the donor Infiniti. Passenger-side axles are all the same (unless you have ABS brakes - there's an extra cog on the end of each axle) but some require a good thump from a rubber hammer to seat the axle. Used low-mileage OEM axles are much better than rebuilt axles from parts stores. Most of those are junk.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:04 PM

Be sure the i30t tranny is a RE4F04V if you want 95-99 VLSD. Without VLSD, both your present axles will work- otherwise you'll need the Infiniti driver's side axle. You can tell a VLSD tranny if you can look through both axles holes (without the axles) and see daylight. If it's a conventional tranny, there is a shaft across the hole.

Text from car-part.com:

"1998
Transmission

I don't know prices of axles, but I would try to buy the one from the donor Infiniti. Passenger-side axles are all the same (unless you have ABS brakes - there's an extra cog on the end of each axle) but some require a good thump from a rubber hammer to seat the axle. Used low-mileage OEM axles are much better than rebuilt axles from parts stores. Most of those are junk.
Thanks for the info. Looks like instead of dealing with the hassle of using that 5th gen LSD tranny, it might be better getting a 4th gen LSD tranny. Plug and play pretty much + Drivers side axle.
Old 03-24-2013, 07:31 PM

Text from car-part.com:

"1998
Transmission

the universal abs axles are a ***** to get into the transmission too spent about an hour today trying to work that ***** in my non lsd tranny. because of this and the added work in removal of the WHOLE FRIGGIN TRANS im reconsidering doing the tranny swap with my team. I know a shop close to the house that will do the swap for 300 bucks. 300 for my trans and 50 bucks for the axle i think i will have the cheapest 2 wheel spinnin maxima on the org.