4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

I Wanna Slam My Car

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 10:16 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I Wanna Slam My Car

I got a 96 max and I wanna drop it. Any ideas on what I should get for my ride or what I should do? All opinions matter right now.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Badazz_Ninja
what I should do? All opinions matter right now.
You should use the search bar.

lol...but no seriously just scroll down to the suspension section. There is loads of info there and you will get it much faster than waiting for responses and getting flamed for bringing up old topics again and again.

Just tryna help out!
Old 02-08-2013, 12:12 AM

Coilovers, wheels and fender roll. Prepare to change your axles annually and have fun with the speed bumps and pot holes.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:56 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Sell it and buy a CIVIC. VTEC madness and huge negative camber.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:58 AM

you dont need to be doing anything to your car, just stop while your not ahead.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:42 AM

Better have $$ saved up for axles, bushings, etc. if you want to slam it.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:54 AM

Delete the struts and done.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:38 PM

coilovers with the air cups so u can lift it for speedbumps and dips but its pricy
Old 02-08-2013, 08:51 PM

...you want to slam it... you do know you can't put negative camber on a max yes? Assuming you don't want to do the "hellaflush" thing, here is a good list of things you should do to make slamming it as buttery as possible.

1: raxles. get em.
2: Lighter rim/tire combo, less rotational mass, less wear on the already stressed axle, or something.
3: roll your fenders.
4: coilovers are your friend, get the good stuff.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:25 AM

the maxima cant get slammed--- no matter how much you drop it, still looks like it should be a bit lower...
side skirts and a lip kit will help with that- but you dont want wanna be just "lip low"
the stock wheel gap kills me everytime i see one.- there is soo much!
you can add camber to the front, but then your axles will bind more so just zero'd out is best... the rear is a solid beam. so no camber back there.

i have megans- and the rear is screwed into the sleeve as far as it will go, and the fronts are screwed down through the sleeve and poke the cv boots- so this is deff as slammed as you can get... as you can see i need side skirts and a real lip bad..
Old 02-09-2013, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by billmus86
the maxima cant get slammed--- no matter how much you drop it, still looks like it should be a bit lower...
side skirts and a lip kit will help with that- but you dont want wanna be just "lip low"

...dude, it looks like a lip wont even fit on your current setup... you are in scrape city.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:34 AM

Start saving because you'll be replacing stuff regularly. And them tires will only last a year. A lil advice bro, if you're trying to go low to impress ppl get a smaller lighter car, if you drive your car daily then don't do it, if you don't have a mechanic or someone who's specialized on working on lowered cars, have the right hoist don't. Lowered cars have issues getting towed, shoot most tow truck guys will say no right from the get go. These things looks cool but unless you want to replace axles, bushings, tires, shocks, and/or anything affiliated with your suspension don't do it. But some how I feel you're gonna do it anyways
Old 02-11-2013, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by mrjasonlyrics
Start saving because you'll be replacing stuff regularly. And them tires will only last a year. A lil advice bro, if you're trying to go low to impress ppl get a smaller lighter car, if you drive your car daily then don't do it, if you don't have a mechanic or someone who's specialized on working on lowered cars, have the right hoist don't. Lowered cars have issues getting towed, shoot most tow truck guys will say no right from the get go. These things looks cool but unless you want to replace axles, bushings, tires, shocks, and/or anything affiliated with your suspension don't do it. But some how I feel you're gonna do it anyways
the above aforementioned should be considered seriously if you want to go forward with dropping any car pretty much. i work at a dealership and have a professional spring compressor at my disposal. i'd say if you choose to drop it and use the autozone spring compressors please, pray. sketchy business, u get clipped by a stray spring after compression...go to the hospital. i get bugged whenever i use the machine at work even.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by steezmuffin686
the above aforementioned should be considered seriously if you want to go forward with dropping any car pretty much. i work at a dealership and have a professional spring compressor at my disposal. i'd say if you choose to drop it and use the autozone spring compressors please, pray. sketchy business, u get clipped by a stray spring after compression...go to the hospital. i get bugged whenever i use the machine at work even.
if hes going to "slam" his car, he would need coilovers, so no need to take apart the stock strut/spring.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:23 PM

dont slam it
Old 02-12-2013, 02:22 AM

Just slam it if u have the cash COILOVERS NOTHING LESS.HIGHER QUALITY AIR BAG COILOVERS BUT THATS DOUBLE THE PRICE AND LESS TRUNK SPACE BUE U LL GET THE ROYAL FLUSH WHEN PARKED. here's a link to coilovers air bag.

Last edited by Max streets; 02-12-2013 at 02:25 AM.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:29 AM

the stock wheel gap kills me everytime i see one.- there is soo much!
you can add camber to the front, but then your axles will bind more so just zero'd out is best... the rear is a solid beam. so no camber back there.

i have megans- and the rear is screwed into the sleeve as far as it will go, and the fronts are screwed down through the sleeve and poke the cv boots- so this is deff as slammed as you can get... as you can see i need side skirts and a real lip bad..
How is that not slammed? Lol negative camber + lower = tuck which is too silly for regular driving...

I wanna switch up to coil overs n I wanna do like 2.4 and 2.2... Would that still be pretty stressful on the axles? Assuming little to no negative camber up front?
Old 02-12-2013, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by carsnwomen91
How is that not slammed? Lol negative camber + lower = tuck which is too silly for regular driving...

I wanna switch up to coil overs n I wanna do like 2.4 and 2.2... Would that still be pretty stressful on the axles? Assuming little to no negative camber up front?
haah in my opinion,.. and compared to my other cars-- just for example :P

i mean = yeah my maxima IS LOW, but not where i want it to be...

and youre right-dont add neg camber to the front- it makes the cv joint a bit tighter- so just zeroed out is smoother (from my testing). and positive camber is dumb hah. but if your axles are already pretty old you might feel some binding after you drop any amount. so while you are in there just pop out your axles for new ones. im a fan of autozones ( i know people hate them) but for a lifetime warranty you cant beat it.

but then its your car- have fun and play. cant go wrong with coil overs- so just adjust the height and get it dialed in where you want it
Old 02-13-2013, 08:51 AM

yo man IBTL!!!

Seriously tho...SEARCH. There are soooo many suspension threads where ppl have rated different setups. Way more information on the forum than u will get in this thread.

THat being sd, dont slam the car. If u do slam it get coilovers.

I am on tokico blues and H&R springs and thats a good ride. 1.3" drop.

If u need new struts then get the quick strut setups.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:26 AM

slammed cars look good for pictures, thats about it. Cant even take it to a track that low=useless imo. I dropped my 96' close to 2 inches and I think that is the sweet spot
Old 02-13-2013, 10:23 AM

Doesn't look like teh OP is coming back to take advice. LOL
Old 02-13-2013, 10:27 AM

haah in my opinion,.. and compared to my other cars-- just for example :P

i mean = yeah my maxima IS LOW, but not where i want it to be...

and youre right-dont add neg camber to the front- it makes the cv joint a bit tighter- so just zeroed out is smoother (from my testing). and positive camber is dumb hah. but if your axles are already pretty old you might feel some binding after you drop any amount. so while you are in there just pop out your axles for new ones. im a fan of autozones ( i know people hate them) but for a lifetime warranty you cant beat it.

but then its your car- have fun and play. cant go wrong with coil overs- so just adjust the height and get it dialed in where you want it
Thats a nice lookin fit! the jetta is gettin there too but that lip is... home made? lol

my mechanice had a sweet jetta coupe. vr6 swapped n nitrous, so beautiful!
Name:  jettacoupe3_zps04d04784.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  64.5 KB

now thats looooooooooooooooow lol
Name:  jettacoupe2_zps7d033601.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  85.9 KB

Name:  jettacoupe_zpsab0d6d0a.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  71.8 KB

and his passat wagon also low as ****
Name:  passatwagon_zps44126753.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  34.3 KB
just for $hits n gigs here's whats under tha hood
Name:  passatwagon2_zpsa971e5b1.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  90.4 KB

i had axles done last year, they were brand new not re-man'd so i should be good. yes positive camber is useless lol think i'll just do 0.5 degree negative for some turn in help when i get some co's. thanks for the input

Originally Posted by ShocknAwe
slammed cars look good for pictures, thats about it. Cant even take it to a track that low=useless imo. I dropped my 96' close to 2 inches and I think that is the sweet spot
yep 2" is a great drop and gets rid of almost all of the wheel gap. i'd just want a tad lower.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Road Warrior
Doesn't look like teh OP is coming back to take advice. LOL
i already figured that after i read his post... these threads just end up bein random discussions lol
Old 02-13-2013, 10:51 AM

the quickest, easiest, and cheapest way to slam / lower your car?

remove the wheels and tires.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Amerikaner83
the quickest, easiest, and cheapest way to slam / lower your car?

remove the wheels and tires.
^Cinder block mod
Old 02-13-2013, 12:47 PM

This is the OP's first post, so I am guessing he is a "Seagull" Drops in spreads crap and then leaves.

Seeing as his post is so vague and he will probably never come back and probably does not have the tools or knowledge or money to do this, I am going to give him the only advice he needs.

Ready OP??

Get under your car with a torch (Those are objects that produce intense heat) and apply generously to your springs.

Be careful around the gas tank so you dont blow your *** up.

Enjoy.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by carsnwomen91
Thats a nice lookin fit! the jetta is gettin there too but that lip is... home made? lol

my mechanice had a sweet jetta coupe. vr6 swapped n nitrous, so beautiful!
its not a jetta-
its a 93 fox :P
and the lip is off a chevy s10,
I actually sold it to my buddy and we painted it and all that- so this is it last november... just found a more recent pic
Old 02-13-2013, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by neosmatrix
Get under your car with a torch (Those are objects that produce intense heat) and apply generously to your springs.

Be careful around the gas tank so you dont blow your *** up.

Enjoy.
better off cutting them. if you heat them up you are creating a weak point on the spring. but if you cut them shorter- there is no weak point- they still have integrity. (ive always cut mine). i guess everyone has a preferred method
Old 02-14-2013, 07:33 AM

if its your daily dont do it, i lowered mine only 1.5", its only been 3 months and im already rplaceing the balljoints i put on a year before that....
they were cheap ones but they failed soon after i put the new springs on.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:23 AM

The guy just wants to slam his car. :shrug:

Get coilovers and max them out. If you really wanna change your axles they take like 15-20 minutes a side.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by MoncefA33
The guy just wants to slam his car. :shrug:

Get coilovers and max them out. If you really wanna change your axles they take like 15-20 minutes a side.
it really is easy to do. not even an hour total time
Old 02-17-2013, 09:02 PM

Since teh thread is now about random slammed cars...

Name:  1473px-2003-07_Car_with_no_wheels_on_Edgewood_Dr_in_Durham.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  405.6 KBLOL

Old 02-18-2013, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Dsquared97maxse
if its your daily dont do it, i lowered mine only 1.5", its only been 3 months and im already rplaceing the balljoints i put on a year before that....
they were cheap ones but they failed soon after i put the new springs on.
Your issue is the cheap ball joints, not your lowering springs. Tigersharkdude is lowered on s-techs and Monroe quick struts... The ride sucks cause of the Monroe's and he's lowered 2.2 up front but his ball joints are fine
Old 02-18-2013, 10:46 AM

Threads like this is why I dislike maxima.org.

OP, get coilovers if you want to go low. Be prepared for added maintenance costs.